2014 Nissan Xterra Consumer Reviews

The Fair Market Range for this car in your area is $22,763 - $23,386.

10/6.6

Based on 452 Ratings for the 2005 - 2015 models.

Nissan has the worst customer service!

By on Tuesday, January 24, 2012

"I really loved this car for the 1st few years I owned it. At around 75,000 miles I began hearing this noise when I accelerate and a rumbling noise intermittently. I brought it to the dealer several times before they finally diagnosed it as a secondary timing chain issue. The very day that I got it back, it was still making one of the noises and they said that the radiator cracked and leaked fluid into the transmission, ruining the transmission as well. I contacted Nissan Consumer Affairs and they stated that it is past warranty and they will not fix the issue even though they clearly caused it through their misdiagnosis and faulty repair. Online research reveals that this prolem is extremely common. Nissan's lack of response to this problem makes me not recommend this otherwise great vehicle to anyone."

My best vehicle to date

By on Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Pros: "Perfect sport Utility! Very fun to own!!"

Cons: "Would like to have heated seats"

My Xterra loves the snow the best!

"I have owned this car from the beginning. Towed a trailer across the country, I go off-roading often, load it up and driving it all over town ever day. I would buy another just like it!"

My Xterra loves the snow the best!

Competent at many roles.

By on Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Pros: "Capable off road, looks good, powerful."

Cons: "Could be better equipped. More MPG's!"

My 2010 Xterra in the Monongahela National Forest

"The Xterra isn't the fanciest, most comfortable, or most well equipped SUV, but what it does, it does well. I've had mine in a great many different off-road situations, including once when I pushed foot-deep mud with my front bumper. The Xterra never even blinked. I was skeptical about "brake locking" (aka, traction control) for off-roading, but it works surprisingly well. When a wheel spins, that wheel is braked and the power goes to the wheels that have traction. Doesn't have a lot of bells and whistles, but has the basics to be comfortable in everyday driving. I've pressed mine into service as a vacation hauler and it makes a decent station wagon, with enough room for my 5' 11" son in the back and lots of luggage. Reliability has been good so far. No problems. Great power and handling for a big vehicle. Gas mileage is only so-so (personally haven't gotten more than 20 mpg). Interior space could be better. Upholstery is cheap looking and stains easily. I added seat covers and now don't have to worry so much. Mine developed a squeak somewhere deep in the dash that can occasionally be annoying. The cruise sometimes can't make up its mind at lower speeds, dropping several miles per hour below where I set it, then "waking up" and rushing forward so quickly that soon you're going faster than you want to. On the freeways, though, it's fine. Lots of hauling room with the seats down. Sturdy roof rack with rooftop storage compartment, which is nice for carrying messy stuff outside your vehicle. And of course, the thing looks like it is ready for action. If I had it to do again, I'd buy it in a heartbeat. I heard the Xterra is going out of production in the next couple years. I hope that's not true...I'd like to have another one."

My 2010 Xterra in the Monongahela National Forest

perfect for active living with kids, dog, gear!

By on Sunday, February 23, 2014

Pros: "powerful, compact, simple, practical, super fun!"

Cons: "stiff ride, no extra space inside (not roomy)"

"Just upgraded my older Xterra (2002) to a 2014 Pro-4x. I can't think of anything that is missing in this model! The upgrades are perfect down to the last detail. The engine is much more powerful and is super spunky on the HWY. I love the heated leather seats and the plastic vs carpet in the back storage area. The matts in the back seat area cover the middle hump which keeps the carpet from wearing. This vehicle will be easy to keep clean! It has every 'techy' convenience but doesn't look busy and cluttered. The back seats fold down perfectly flat so we can sleep in the vehicle on road trips if needed. There are more storage compartments in this model for 'stuff' and they are really well designed. The vehicle is wider and feels much roomier. The driver and passenger seats also have more leg room. I have always loved the Xterra for it's rugged design and sporty look. We live out in a rural area and deal with lots of snow and crazy road conditions. I've never had a problem. I also drive logging roads a fair bit in the pursuit of adventure...This vehicle handles well and can literally go places that no other vehicle can. It's pretty amazing! I would have liked to get the built in DVD players for the back seats...that's still to come :) It is for sure a 'stiffer' ride than many of the SUV/crossover vehicles that offer a smoother highway drive but you quickly get used to the feel of it and it's worth it when you look at the trade offs. It's truly the best vehicle for family adventuring in alap seasons with kids, the dog and lots of gear!"

It does what it is meant to do very well!

By on Monday, February 17, 2014

Pros: "Great Offroad and easy to clean, Nice unique look"

Cons: "Bad Fuel Economy"

"I've had my Xterra for two years now. So far the only issues I've had have been a window regulator and I needed a new 4wheel drive switch. All covered under warranty The vehicle is what it is. It is a utilitarian off-roader. It does great off road and in the snow(with proper tires). The inside is basic and easy to clean. The leather seat are comfortable enough. The Rockford fosgate stereo sounds great. Overall the gas milage has ranged from high 15 to low 17 average although I did get a average of 20 on a long drive out of Vermont. I hope this helps. If you have looking for an Off road SUV in the price range there is nothing better."