2014 Nissan Xterra Consumer Reviews

The Fair Market Range for this car in your area is $22,341 - $23,076.

10/6.6

Based on 463 Ratings for the 2005 - 2015 models.

Competent at many roles.

By on Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Pros: "Capable off road, looks good, powerful."

Cons: "Could be better equipped. More MPG's!"

My 2010 Xterra in the Monongahela National Forest

"The Xterra isn't the fanciest, most comfortable, or most well equipped SUV, but what it does, it does well. I've had mine in a great many different off-road situations, including once when I pushed foot-deep mud with my front bumper. The Xterra never even blinked. I was skeptical about "brake locking" (aka, traction control) for off-roading, but it works surprisingly well. When a wheel spins, that wheel is braked and the power goes to the wheels that have traction. Doesn't have a lot of bells and whistles, but has the basics to be comfortable in everyday driving. I've pressed mine into service as a vacation hauler and it makes a decent station wagon, with enough room for my 5' 11" son in the back and lots of luggage. Reliability has been good so far. No problems. Great power and handling for a big vehicle. Gas mileage is only so-so (personally haven't gotten more than 20 mpg). Interior space could be better. Upholstery is cheap looking and stains easily. I added seat covers and now don't have to worry so much. Mine developed a squeak somewhere deep in the dash that can occasionally be annoying. The cruise sometimes can't make up its mind at lower speeds, dropping several miles per hour below where I set it, then "waking up" and rushing forward so quickly that soon you're going faster than you want to. On the freeways, though, it's fine. Lots of hauling room with the seats down. Sturdy roof rack with rooftop storage compartment, which is nice for carrying messy stuff outside your vehicle. And of course, the thing looks like it is ready for action. If I had it to do again, I'd buy it in a heartbeat. I heard the Xterra is going out of production in the next couple years. I hope that's not true...I'd like to have another one."

My 2010 Xterra in the Monongahela National Forest

Won't buy another

By on Wednesday, November 20, 2013

Pros: "Versatile car"

Cons: "Poor gas mileage , Faulty parts, no Nissan support"

"Original owner of a 2006. I bought this as my first Nissan based on a recommendation of a family member who use to own a Sentra. I really like the SUV, style, truck frame, all the different uses I get out of it and it's my only vehicle. My biggest issue is the fact the engine light is on more than off in the lifetime of the vehicle. Right after the warranty expired the fuel sensor went out and Nissan wouldn't help me replace it. Ok, warranty I get it. But then I saw lots of other Xterras with the same problem. After I spent $500 to fix that the engine light came back on and all 4 catalytic converters went out at 82,000 miles. I can't smog my car in California with out replacing and the quotes I got are around $4000 for all 4. That's a California thing since they are very expensive in this state. Then the transmission started acting funny and about that time I got a class action notice in the mail about some replacement money to help, but you can't have more than 100,000 miles and again I was just past that at 102,000. So I spent $800 fixing the leaky radiator which cause the damage to the transmission. After arguing with Nissan telling them they have put faulty parts in the Xterras and won't help out money wise with the bad parts I give up and will never buy a Nissan again. It's too bad because I really like the vehicle just not worth putting lots of extra money into fixing it all the time. My old Toyota went 300,000 with very little repairs and expense. Humm. Maybe my next one again. I don't feel Nissan backs up their cars in a reasonable mount of time to support car failures! Great car if you just want to park it most of the time."

Great 4x4 SUV

By on Thursday, November 10, 2011

Pros: "Great interior, cool styling, great 4x4 capability"

Cons: "Fuel milage"

"The xTerra is a fantastic off road SUV. It is however not to be confused with the newer car based unibody SUV's that everybody drives around the city. The Xterra does have a firmer ride due to it's off road suspension and body on frame truck design. The interior is fantastic. It's made mostly of easy to clean hard plastic that can't rip or tear. It has more compartments then you'll know what to do with as well. My only gripe is that the plastic does scratch easily so be careful if you tend to throw your keys around. As for off road capability it is one of the best at it's price. The locking rear diff and traditional 4x4 transfer case make it a dream on the trail or in the snow and mud. The 4.0 engine delivers tons of power sometimes you forget your driving a 4000lb truck. It is however a thirsty vehicle. I drive mostly highway miles everyday and it sucks about a 20mpg at the very best. I would recommend the Xterra to anyone who lives an outdoors lifestyle or likes weekend trips out in the bush but if all you want is a big vehicle to hop around the city in there are definitely some more appropriate and fuel efficient choices out there."

Great SUV

By on Friday, March 29, 2013

Pros: "very reliable and tough"

Cons: "gas mileage"

"Almost 200,000 miles on my 2001 Xterra and I've never had a problem."

Great car

By on Saturday, October 20, 2012

"Fun to drive great to park.. strong engine.. no problem geting on the highway. rides high you can see everything. Seats aren't the most comfy... ride is bumpy.. and I have the most irritating squeak in the back."