2012 Nissan Xterra

Based on 449 Ratings for the 2005 - 2015 models.

Won't buy another

By on Wednesday, November 20, 2013

Pros: "Versatile car"

Cons: "Poor gas mileage , Faulty parts, no Nissan support"

"Original owner of a 2006. I bought this as my first Nissan based on a recommendation of a family member who use to own a Sentra. I really like the SUV, style, truck frame, all the different uses I get out of it and it's my only vehicle. My biggest issue is the fact the engine light is on more than off in the lifetime of the vehicle. Right after the warranty expired the fuel sensor went out and Nissan wouldn't help me replace it. Ok, warranty I get it. But then I saw lots of other Xterras with the same problem. After I spent $500 to fix that the engine light came back on and all 4 catalytic converters went out at 82,000 miles. I can't smog my car in California with out replacing and the quotes I got are around $4000 for all 4. That's a California thing since they are very expensive in this state. Then the transmission started acting funny and about that time I got a class action notice in the mail about some replacement money to help, but you can't have more than 100,000 miles and again I was just past that at 102,000. So I spent $800 fixing the leaky radiator which cause the damage to the transmission. After arguing with Nissan telling them they have put faulty parts in the Xterras and won't help out money wise with the bad parts I give up and will never buy a Nissan again. It's too bad because I really like the vehicle just not worth putting lots of extra money into fixing it all the time. My old Toyota went 300,000 with very little repairs and expense. Humm. Maybe my next one again. I don't feel Nissan backs up their cars in a reasonable mount of time to support car failures! Great car if you just want to park it most of the time."

Love this SUV

By on Monday, November 18, 2013

Pros: "Great price, easy ride, decent gas mileage"

Cons: "None that come to mind"

"Love my Xterra - so much so that I let my brother drive it while I was away for a month. I came back and he had bought one of his very own!"

Great offroad and snow traveling truck.

By on Saturday, October 26, 2013

Pros: "No place this vehicle will not take you."

Cons: "The gas mileage is low."

"The Xterra Offroad edition is the best all round offroad and adverse weather vehicle. With traction control, descent control and on the fly 4x4 this truck has taken me through the most demanding offroad environment. the engine has a timing chain (not a belt) which means no expensive timing belt repairs or service. I feel this truck will have a service life of 20 years with out any major financial expenditures."

I LOVE this vehicle!

By on Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Pros: "great price, fun to drive, very capable"

Cons: "no auxillary port, lumbar support lacking"

"I bought my Xterra new and I have loved it since then. I got the base model....all I wanted was something with 4WD that didn't cost a ton. I had a minor electrical issue (door wouldn't lock with the clicker) a few months after purchase but Nissan fixed it, hassle free. I haven't had a single issue since then! This vehicle has held it's value and is great! I've taken it snowboarding, hiking, you name it. I love the outdoors and I love knowing that my car can handle it. The few downfalls are that the seats don't have great lumbar support, there isn't a mirror in the passenger visor, and there isn't an auxillary port. The first two were easy fixes (I bought a vehicle lumbar attachment and also a clip in mirror for under $20) but the auxillary port is just ANNOYING. Why would a new car not have that? Anyway, this car is great!"

The Xterra Life- All else is second best

By on Thursday, September 12, 2013

Pros: "Fun to drive, comfortable, roomy, practical!"

Cons: "gas mileage"

"As a tour manager and producer I am on the road 50% of my year - living out of the vehicle at various concerts and festivals. This vehicle has been my lifeline to comfort and safe travel. Completely reliable for a girl on the road, able to haul small loads as I need (asmall trailers and the like), and the volume of cargo room has always been more than enough for my needs. By taking it to the dealership for service I have had complete confidence in its reliability and longevity. When I had one issue concerning the transmission / radiator warranty, Nissan and my dealership worked with me to get the repairs I needed covered. I am sold on this vehicle and this company- and it looks awesome too!"

Good Value

By on Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Pros: "Good value for the price."

Cons: "Need a little more interior space for the driver."

"Overall I am very satisfied with this SUV. It has been very reliable, has a strong engine and smooth shifting transmission. The interior is not very attractive, a great deal of plastic but the upside is that it is easy to clean and maintain. I personally find the seating to be just a little cramped for someone who is 6'2" tall but with the seat all the way back space is adequate. A very solid, reliable SUV."

Fun but gas hungry

By on Tuesday, September 03, 2013

Pros: "Off road capability, space, power."

Cons: "Fuel consumption, multiple minor mechanical issues"

"Fun to drive. It's been back to the dealer a few times for various little problems. I've got just under 25,000 miles on it and there's an occasional tapping sound in the front suspension when turning. The rear suspension is making a creaking noise after the vehicle is warmed up. My biggest complaint is the amount of fuel it uses. I average 14MPG city. With that type of fuel "economy" you might as well be driving an Escalade. I do enjoy the amount of power and acceleration available. Would have been nice if an aux in port for mp3 players were included as standard equipment but an after market stereo fixed that fairly easily."

The mud puppy!!

By on Thursday, August 08, 2013

Pros: "Alot of vehicle for the price...and it's a beast!!"

Cons: "mpg and no mp3 jack"

"The main reason I bought my 2011 xterra was to get me thru the central florida mud, i live 4 miles of the the nearest paved road and have to get thru several mud holes to get in and out of my property. I wanted a jeep but the were around $10,000 more than what a paid for my xterra. Well i think i made a wise choice, i absolutely love it. It rides like a dream on the paved roads and gets thru the mud hole in 2WD i havn,t needed 4WD yet, but if a hurricane blows thru here i'm sure i will. It's real comfortable for me as i'm not a big guy. I can't comment on reliability yet as i've only owned it a few months...but so far so good. I think it's a good lookin SUV and one of only a few options if you want a REAL 4x4 suv. My big con besides the MPG, which is well documented here is the lack of an mp3 jack in the base model, but thats real minor."

All around great vehicle.

By on Monday, August 05, 2013

Pros: "Fun to drive, reliable, stylish, power, cmfrtble"

Cons: "Low gas MPG, fuel gauge, tire snsrs, $$$ pur. prce"

"I live in Colorado, subject to extremely varied driving terrain. Most of the time I'm in the city, but I feel quite confident during even the worst snow storms in 4-wheel drive (plus my seasonal studded snow tires). During the three years that I have owned this vehicle, there was a problem with the fuel gauge, which I have read is common. Others have had a bear of a time getting the dealerships to replace this component, but they fixed it fine for me. The other persistent problem I have had is in the automatic tire pressure sensor - the battery went out and they are extremely costly to replace. Finally, this vehicle does NOT get good gas mileage, so be prepared for sub-20 mpg on the highway and less in town. On the plus side, the car has power, is reliable, can go wherever I want with very decent clearance, and handles beautifully in the snow. I also am partial to its body style, it is extremely comfortable inside, and my friends like it. One suggestion would be that the vehicle have a display inside of outside temperature."

Dissapointed. 2012 Xterra S V 6 4X4

By on Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Pros: "Looks"

Cons: "don t take it over 10000 ft without a tow strap"

Looks good Just as long as you keep it on the paved roads!

"Bought this 2012 X for one reason . Wanted to ride the offroad trails in Co. Was told it would do a fine job, Boy was I mislead. The first pass I tried it on it could not do it. Imogene Pass Ouray Co. 1000'from the top of the pass it just shut down. Would not pull at all. We backed down a few hundred feet and made 3 attempts. It never did make it over the pass. I had to swallow my pride and get the tow strap out. Thanks to the FJ the pulled me the rest of the way over the pass. The X only has 25K miles and has been serviced by NISSAN only . They have no idea why it would not pull on that pass. But trust me the last thing I wanted to do was swallow my pride and get that blasted tow strap out, And let a Toyota FJ pull me!"

Looks good Just as long as you keep it on the paved roads!

Spontaneous Combustion

By on Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Reason: Transmission failure

Pros: "Style, Driveability, Power, Handling"

Cons: "Gas mileage, rear visibility, oh and it's a NISSAN"

"I have owned 11 vehicles in my lifetime. The 2005 XTerra was my second favorite (Cadillac CTS is first.) It was fun to drive, no problems, stylish, sporty, had plenty of storage space... Then it left me stranded 85 miles from home with spontaneous transmission failure. After $241 to tow it home and a new valve body, it died again. After a rebuilt transmission, it died again. It sat in my driveway for 8 months because I ran out of money to put into it. After a replaced radiator, it died again. I wound up trading it in for a Yukon and had $3000 in negative equity, plus the money I spent to have it fixed, making the total cost to me over $7000, and it was only worth $8500 to begin with. This was an absolute nightmare. NISSAN KNOWS ABOUT THIS PROBLEM AND THEY HAVE SHRUGGED THEIR SHOULDERS TIME AND TIME AGAIN AT LOYAL NISSAN OWNERS! Never will I ever own another Nissan, simply because Nissan DOES NOT care about its consumers."

Great SUV

By on Friday, March 29, 2013

Pros: "very reliable and tough"

Cons: "gas mileage"

"Almost 200,000 miles on my 2001 Xterra and I've never had a problem."

RUGGED and SOLID RIDE. PERIOD!

By on Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Pros: "Rugged on and off road, great 4x4 capability"

Cons: "lot's of plastic, engine noise"

"I own this vehicle and it's GREAT! I purchased mine used with just 32100. It handles well on and off the highway and has the get up and go to pull a filled 5X10 Uhaul type trailer. The engine has a nice growl. However, the engine sound can be excessive in the interior. The interior is made up a lot of hard durable plastic and isn't as plush as the Nissan Pathfinder, Armada, or the AWD Murano. Yet, is the very reason I chose to purchase an Xterra. The Xterra has great interior space, enough space to fit a love seat and with a rear interior made purposely with hard durable plastic I don't have to worry about tearing any carpet. The base package stereo is basically a single disc AM/FM radio and doesn't come with an MP3 plug in. Washington State has many off road areas and that's what the Xterra is made for. The stance on the Xterra is stout and aggressive and comes "right out of the box" ready to 4X4. The ride is comfortable on the road and the handling is surprising when navigating the clover leaf turn heading on to the highway and the engine has the get up and go to jump up to highway speeds. Yet, heading off the beaten path is what I enjoy about my Xterra. It's given me a reason to explore the off road."

Great Vehicle....just don't keep it too long!

By on Sunday, March 03, 2013

Pros: "Good power, handling, ride on and off road."

Cons: "Prone to transmission cooler failure!"

"I was very happy with my Xterra until I hit 110,000 miles (mostly highway miles) and had the transmission cooler fail. As with most other owners who have had this problem, this happened after warranty had expired. Cost me a new radiator and rebuilt transmission. Prior to the problem, it was a dream SUV. Plenty of power, comfortable ride for a truck chassis, and very reliable. The transmission cooler failure seems to be a fairly common problem, so I would not recommend keeping the car after the warranty expires...too great a risk of a very large repair bill! A shame, because it was really a great vehicle!"

My best vehicle to date

By on Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Pros: "Perfect sport Utility! Very fun to own!!"

Cons: "Would like to have heated seats"

My Xterra loves the snow the best!

"I have owned this car from the beginning. Towed a trailer across the country, I go off-roading often, load it up and driving it all over town ever day. I would buy another just like it!"

My Xterra loves the snow the best!

"Everything you need, nothing you don't."

By on Sunday, February 24, 2013

Pros: "Quick engine, great looking, ready for anything."

Cons: "Expensive recalls, poor fuel economy."

"I completely understand when others express their dislike for the Xterra, and that's because it's not a vehicle for everyone. It is a specialty vehicle. If you just want a vehicle where you sit "higher up" to run errands and make your daily commute in, than the Nissan Xterra is not for you. On the contrary, if you want one of the most powerful small-size SUVs on the market that can handle 5000 pounds trailing behind it, the toughest of 4x4 trails, rides stiff like a true truck, and isn't packed with useless luxury features like heated steering wheels and memory seats, than the Xterra is perfect for you. It has an extremely well-assembled interior, with perfectly fitted easy-to-clean plastics being the main cabin material of choice. The buttons and controls for AC and the great radio are very well-placed, and the attractive cloth seats are very comfortable and easy to clean. The exterior is a love it or hate it; I happen to find the boxy, muscular appearance very rugged and cool. Something that I did not expect out of the Xterra was the fact that the 4.0L 261-hp V6 engine is actually quite fast. You can blow past most sedans on the road from a red light, and highway passing (even at speeds upwards of 70mph) is very easy for the Xterra. It is very torquey at low RPMs and has another intense powerband around 4000 RPMs. This SUV does, after all, share a modified version of the celebrated VQ35DE engine found in the Maxima and 350Z. Cargo space is more than adequate and the roof rack is best-in-class. Steering is deliberate and due to the short wheelbase the Xterra maneuvers somewhat like a large family sedan rather than a bulky SUV. Brakes are very responsive and smooth. The stock tires handle extremely well in rainy conditions, though I would recommend Michelins to enhance performance even more. True to its truck roots, suspension is a bit bouncy on pavement (which some may find fun), as it is tuned to handle off-roading purposes. Being well over six feet tall, the Xterra is very top heavy -- slightly more so than your average SUV. Combined with a speedy V6, some caution must be exercised when rounding tight corners or making abrupt lane changes. Fuel economy is dismal at around 14/20; and a 21-gallon tank makes spending $75.00 at the pump common. However, this is to be expected with a strong 4.0L engine like the Xterra's. As with any used vehicle except maybe a Honda, there are a couple of technical service bulletins posted on 2005-2008 Xterras that are very serious. This includes the timing chain tensioners being inadequately constructed, an issue which will result in a slight whine upon acceleration around 80,000 miles. Unfortunately, this is a very expensive issue to resolve, costing around $900-$1,200 and requiring almost the entire engine to be dismantled. Another problem is the coolant leaking into the transmission fluid, leading to transmission failure. This is also a very expensive issue to take care of, especially if a full transmission replacement is involved. As with any used-car purchase, you should do your research so you know exactly what you're getting into. In conclusion, if you know what you're buying and the Xterra fits your needs, there is simply no better choice. The 2nd generation Xterra speaks for itself, 2014 will be its 10th model year running. Kudos to Nissan for creating an awesome product."

Love my Xbox

By on Monday, February 18, 2013

"Ordered this one new to get the manual transmission. This is a great SUV. Taken it everywhere, on road and off road, completely stock no modifications and it does great. Only in shop for maintenance never any problems or issues."

I am trading for my 3rd Xterra, enough said!!!

By on Saturday, February 16, 2013

Pros: "Great for off roading in the Ozarks, Great for Lab"

Cons: "Fuel sender to guage and check engine light"

"Heard they were moving out of Smyrna, TN plant and possibly Chrysler putting these together. I don't want any part of that. This has been a very reliable vehicle. I hunt and fish. It has served me well. Anyone that is a sportsman, cannot go wrong with this vehicle. I will buy a 2012 while I can still get an SUV mounted on a truck frame. No crossovers for me!!!!"

We Love it!!!

By on Monday, November 19, 2012

"We purchased our Xterra with a little over 10k miles on it, about 6 years ago. It has been worth every penny. It has never broken down on us, and we are not the kind to care immaculately for cars. The oil changes have been kept up, but we have never even done a tune up and she still runs great. We had a minor issue with the gas gauge but it ended up being a factory defect that was easily resolved. The back seat is a little snug for our 3 children, but its mainly my husbands commuter vehicle so that's not a major problem. If you are the rough and tumble kind the Xterra is for you!! It has served us very well."

LOVE my Xterra

By on Sunday, November 04, 2012

Pros: "great fun to drive, dependable, decent mileage"

Cons: "no lock on glove compartment, visors break easily"

"This is my second Xterra. My first was an '03 3.3 L, V6, manual tranny 4WD. I like a manual transmission and purchased the Xterra originally because it offered the vehicle size I wanted with the transmission & 4WD option. I enjoyed the 2003- but it was an XE- what, 170-180 HP? It was the basic model- no frills, but it did the job. I easily pulled out a 4 WD Tahoe that was stuck in mud and snow. Once the miles hiked, I went looking for a newer 4L, V6. IF you want an Xterra, get the 4L engine. My HP went up 265, but with the manual transmission I sacrificed MAYBE 1 MPG. The 2003 was a 5 speed- the 2005 is a 6-speed. I love this truck. With both vehicles I got between 16-18 MPG city (depending on a/c usage)and 22-24 HWY- the 4L tackles a highway very nicely. It doesn't ride like a caddy- but it's a TRUCK. It rides like a workhorse. A bit bumpy- but I expected it to do so. The back seats on this model lie fully flat- which was not the case in the 2003 model. Nissan also rigged the 2005 so that the back seats pull down much easier. I have a complaint about the visor set-up. Cheaply done - had to replace (and probably will have to replace again one day). Also would have liked to have had a locking glove compartment (which the 2003 did have). The 2005 has a timing CHAIN (remember those?). Very glad of that- and an option that allows you to start the engine (push of a button) without engaging the clutch. Nice. Plenty of power ports. I do wish my vehicle had the side curtain airbags- but maybe next time. I plan to hold on to this truck for a very long time. I drove out of state to find it. The manual transmissions aren't easy to get your hands on, but well worth it in my mind. Not sure I would say so if I lived in an urban area, but for rural, snowy weather this fits my needs perfectly. Oh, and I took it camping last summer - had a very comfortable sleep in the back for 3 days."

Great Great Great!!!!!

By on Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Pros: "Reliability, Simplicity, Off-Road Capabilit"

Cons: "A little bumpy, Not Luxury, Gas Mileage"

Steep hill, picture doesnt do it justice.

"I have owned this Xterra for almost three years now and have put 60,000 miles on it. This vehicle has been absolutely amazing. I never knew the prowess and capability of Xterras until I bought this one. With around 260 HP stock, it has plenty of power and i have towed 6,000 Lbs with it flawlessly, although you could tell it was behind you due to the short wheel base. I bought it lightly used, 22,000 miles, for half the price of a new one. The offroad capability is AMAZING, especially if you have the off road version with lockers. Mine does not but it is still much more capable than any other SUV, besides a jeep. There was a competition in 2008 in Desert Valley and here was the final results: Land Rover- 5th Hummer H3- 4th Toyota FJ-3rd Jeep Wrangler Rubicon- 2nd Nissan Xterra Off Road- 1st Thats right Xterra won over the Jeep and FJ, but i still think jeeps are pretty good at getting just about anywhere but they are not reliable being made by Dodge which is a very unreliable company in my opinion especially compared to Nissan. My Xterra has never had any problems and the only things that have given me issues is my tires leaking which may be a valve stem problem or tire problem. This is NOT A LUXURY VEHICLE BY ANY MEANS. They are nice yes, but no bells and whistles, short of cruise control and CD Player. Its simple and the Xterra modo from Nissan is "Everything you need, nothing you don't". I will have to say awesome stero in it as well. Plenty of room inside, im six foot and there is still plenty of room for someone larger. Fair to good back seat leg room, plenty of headroom due to bump in roof design. Its not top heavy like it looks though. From what i understand the Xterra is a true SUV, where they took Frontier truck and boxed it in, theres your Xterra. Little bit of a bumpy ride compared to Chevy Trail Blazer. Awesome hatch space, when you open the liftgate the hatchspace is all hard plastic and when you lay the seats down, the backs of those is the same hard plastic so it can take spills, woods, heavy camping gear, whatever you want to put back there. Grey interior easy to keep clean, nice seats, double glove box, also hill descent control is a great feature that most come with. 4-low is awesome with huge torque increase and great limited slip. My buddies chevy 2500 HD 4WD got stuck going up hill but my X zipped up it like it was nothing while pulling the log splitter. I live on a farm in the smokey mountains so i have had it in plenty of snow, mud and odd/uneven rocky, and steep terrain. Never had any problem. Overall this vehicle is great. If your looking for a luxury vehicle this isnt it, maybe Pathfinder or next up from that but i dont know anything about those at all. If your looking for reliability, off-road capability and somewhat fuel economic this is you. The fuel economy with your foot on the pedal hard or towing or off-roading is about 14-15 MPG, if your easy on it you get 17-18 MPG combined highway and intown, and i drive both equally. NOTE: The only reason i get 17-18 is because i never take my vehicle above 2500 RPM, and i drive slow on backroads, 60 on highway, 70 on interstate. It will get worse if your get on the pedal at all but the power is there if you need it."

My video

Steep hill, picture doesnt do it justice.

Easy hill, but it shows how it doesnt spin in a bad spot. My sisters Trail Blazer would have never done that.

Great car

By on Saturday, October 20, 2012

"Fun to drive great to park.. strong engine.. no problem geting on the highway. rides high you can see everything. Seats aren't the most comfy... ride is bumpy.. and I have the most irritating squeak in the back."

Someone made a mistake.

By on Sunday, October 14, 2012

"I just want to clarify that the person who gave this vehicle a "1" or "0". probably does not own an Xterra. It sounds like he or she owns a Pathfinder. The Pathfinder is a hunk of junk and should be avoided at all cost. It is a fact that their transmissions are defective as the reviewer mentioned, water from the radiator (tranny cooler) gets into the transmission. I've trailered boats with my Xterra through Washing DC traffic,roads in Canada, if you can call them that, and locally in PA and have never had a problem with the transmission or anything else. The temp gauge has never moved. And I own an '04 which has a 3.3 liter compared to the '08 that has 4.0 and better brakes than mine. So, if you're thinking about buying an Xterra you can't go work. Spend the extra money for the side rails and better interior. If you're not really using it for off-road don't go the pro-4X way. It's just over kill."

Are the other reviewers kidding?

By on Saturday, September 15, 2012

Pros: "Exterior looks good"

Cons: "It is a money pit of problems!"

"This is by far the worst vehicle that I have ever owned in my life, at 44. My husband and I have literally paid thousands of dollars to keep this on the road. It has 155,000 now, but these have been all highway miles. We've never taken it off-road. We've replaced so many things, it should be listed as new - except that things keep going wrong even now! So, the transmission is now needing replacing; the faulty design allowed the radiator fluid to mix with the transmission fluid. Apparently, this is something that has happened to hundreds of people, so I question how I'm not reading about this and how everyone is calling this hunk of junk "reliable." Reliable? That is the furthest statement from the truth. I wouldn't recommend this SUV to anyone."

Great vehicle...Awesome all around.

By on Thursday, July 19, 2012

Pros: "Outdoor Use, Comfort, Look"

Cons: "Gas isn't great, entry/exit for rear passengers"

"Great vehicle to own, especially if you live somewhere where you have a lot of snow/rain, enjoy driving trails or just the outdoors in general. Roof rack and the roof storage are amazing. Easy fold-down seats with easy clean up, especially after a day of mountain biking or hiking. This vehicle is a little sensitive on steering at your higher speeds, but overall this vehicle is fantastic. This vehicle is simple, effective and functional…couldn’t ask for more."