2012 Nissan Xterra

Based on 442 Ratings for the 2005 - 2015 models.

My favorite SUV of all I've owned

By on Wednesday, April 09, 2014

Pros: "Size, handling, feels very solid, looks"

Cons: "Only 18 mpg, key fob alarm too sensitive"

"Bought new in Dec 2009 and have put a lot of miles on it. Currently has 114,500 and I have yet to put brakes on it - which is unbelievable. Get regular maintenance done every 5,000 and I'm coming to the end of my second set of tires. Plan to get 200,000 on it before I trade it in for another one. I really like it."

My favorite SUV of all I've owned

By on Wednesday, April 09, 2014

Pros: "Size, handling, feels very solid, looks"

Cons: "Only 18 mpg, key fob alarm too sensitive"

Like this model body style.

By on Friday, April 04, 2014

Pros: "High enough to see ahead of the car in front."

Cons: "Driver seat uncomfortable long distance."

"The Xterra was exactly what I expected and wanted."

Good suv, great powerful engine, poor gas mileage

By on Sunday, March 23, 2014

Pros: "Power, styling, cofortable, roomy"

Cons: "poor mpg, cheaply made, bad brakes, common probems"

"Not the same Nissan since Renault bought them out. Very nice suv, but cheaply made, alot of common problems, fuel gauge sensor, blower motor resistor, terrible brakes, paint chips easily, rusts quickly. Would take a 95 pathfinder over this xterra anyday, pathfinder has way better 4wd. Rear lower door seals fall off poor design, antenna in bad location for cleaning snow off of windshield, rear bumper poor design, too close to tailgate, freezes up in winter. VDC not good for offroad."

Versitile, roomy, very reliable, poor gas mileage.

By on Thursday, March 06, 2014

Pros: "Reliability; Versatility; Comfort"

Cons: "MPG"

"Being 6'2" and a physical therapist I like that I can easily sit with good posture, comfortably in the xterra. Bought the car new over 5 years ago. The reliability and versatility are what stand out to me. I feel as though I have driven it pretty hard for 85k miles and have only had one strut fixed (under warranty), one set of new tires put on, and routine oil changes. In my mind, the truck still feels new. Carrying my road bike around in the back with the seats down was a plus and the truck has been very convenient for multiple road trips, even if the gas mileage isn't the best. Avg 18 miles combined, driving about 75/25 city/highway. Haven't really gotten over 20 highway. I have since bought a civic for business purposes but find it hard to sell this truck as I think it will be tough to find a more reliable vehicle out there."

perfect for active living with kids, dog, gear!

By on Sunday, February 23, 2014

Pros: "powerful, compact, simple, practical, super fun!"

Cons: "stiff ride, no extra space inside (not roomy)"

"Just upgraded my older Xterra (2002) to a 2014 Pro-4x. I can't think of anything that is missing in this model! The upgrades are perfect down to the last detail. The engine is much more powerful and is super spunky on the HWY. I love the heated leather seats and the plastic vs carpet in the back storage area. The matts in the back seat area cover the middle hump which keeps the carpet from wearing. This vehicle will be easy to keep clean! It has every 'techy' convenience but doesn't look busy and cluttered. The back seats fold down perfectly flat so we can sleep in the vehicle on road trips if needed. There are more storage compartments in this model for 'stuff' and they are really well designed. The vehicle is wider and feels much roomier. The driver and passenger seats also have more leg room. I have always loved the Xterra for it's rugged design and sporty look. We live out in a rural area and deal with lots of snow and crazy road conditions. I've never had a problem. I also drive logging roads a fair bit in the pursuit of adventure...This vehicle handles well and can literally go places that no other vehicle can. It's pretty amazing! I would have liked to get the built in DVD players for the back seats...that's still to come :) It is for sure a 'stiffer' ride than many of the SUV/crossover vehicles that offer a smoother highway drive but you quickly get used to the feel of it and it's worth it when you look at the trade offs. It's truly the best vehicle for family adventuring in alap seasons with kids, the dog and lots of gear!"

It does what it is meant to do very well!

By on Monday, February 17, 2014

Pros: "Great Offroad and easy to clean, Nice unique look"

Cons: "Bad Fuel Economy"

"I've had my Xterra for two years now. So far the only issues I've had have been a window regulator and I needed a new 4wheel drive switch. All covered under warranty The vehicle is what it is. It is a utilitarian off-roader. It does great off road and in the snow(with proper tires). The inside is basic and easy to clean. The leather seat are comfortable enough. The Rockford fosgate stereo sounds great. Overall the gas milage has ranged from high 15 to low 17 average although I did get a average of 20 on a long drive out of Vermont. I hope this helps. If you have looking for an Off road SUV in the price range there is nothing better."

Solid SUV, fun to drive

By on Sunday, February 16, 2014

Pros: "Sporty and agile, fun to drive"

Cons: "Arm rests would be nice"

"I bought this new in 2008. I just got back from a 6000 mile cross country drive. It handled dirt, ice, snow, slush and cruised comfortably across 17 states. A good off roader in its stock form. Its a bit small to sleep in comfortably for me. Heading east I got a high of 24 mpg thanks to a pretty constant tail wind. Usually get about 20 on the freeway. It now has about 45,000 miles and hasn't had any recalls or problems. The Vehicle Dynamic Control saved me a couple times. Once when I had to swerve around a parked truck on the freeway doing 60mph. Another time when I was hit on the rear passenger door doing about 50. The only thing my S model lacks is outdoor temp gauge and a compass built into the review mirror and a 6 CD changer. All things that could be added but my previous Ford SUVs had those features and I do like them. They are probably available on the SE and offroad model. I never thought I would keep her this long but I still like the body style, the power and handling. I've only done oil changes, tire rotations and had the coolant system flushed. Brakes are still good. This is my first Nissan or import for what its worth, it was built in Tennessee."

Best kept secret in SUV's, best value hands down.

By on Monday, February 10, 2014

Pros: "Price, Ride, Power, Capability, Value, features"

Cons: "Zero luxury options to choose from"

"Ride is firm, responsive, and super quiet. Interior is comfortable with necessary accessories like power windows, locks, cruise control, great sound system, 4WD shift on the fly, power locks, tilt steering. Nothing fancy. Engine power is great, exhaust note is really sweet, handling is quick and responsive and it corners very well (with the understanding this is a 4000lb tall SUV not a sports car). I love it, and where else can you get into a mid sized SUV with a 260hp V6 for less than 35,000? A couple of things I wish were standard equipment: Auto mirror with compass would have been nice, and how about some delay off on the headlights or even automatic headlights, not a lot of electronics to add that. If you're into heated leather seats this isn't your vehicle, in fact not even available, but if you want a very capable vehicle for the best price on the market with a great ride and comfortable cabin this is for you. If they would actually advertise these things I'm sure they could sell a heck of a lot more than they do!"

Not quite what I was looking for

By on Saturday, February 08, 2014

Pros: "Looks good."

Cons: "over 100,000 not reliable. At all."

"I bought this vehicle used with 98,000 miles. At 101,000 the catalytic converter failed 600$). at 107,000 the radiator failed (250$). at 110,000 the transmission failed (2,900$). at 116,000, camshaft positioning sensor failed (160$). All that in the first 2 years I owned the vehicle."

Fun & easy vehicle to drive.

By on Wednesday, February 05, 2014

"Bought new. Love, love it. Has off road pkg. & I have gone off road many times. Never let me down. Love hill holder & hill decent control. Plenty of power & rides ok for short wheelbase vehicle. Not an economy car. Gas mileage 12 - 19. Fit & finish are excellent. Interior is plastic but very easy to maintain. Styling needs refreshing. Overall the best car I have ever owned."

MY DREAM CAR! OFF ROAD BEAST!

By on Sunday, February 02, 2014

Pros: "Held its value, great in the snow, looks great!"

Cons: "No sun roof"

"I have the off road xterra- I LOVE it! I have always wanted this vehicle-I will never get stuck in bad weather- it's a blast in a snow storm- only wish it had a moon/sun roof."

Excellent! Fun to drive

By on Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Pros: "Go anywhere through anything. Fun to drive. Good s"

Cons: "Gas mileage..."

"A fun personality! We are having an awful winter-bitter cold and then feet of snow. This truck goes through it all. My only issue is that MPG is bad... I love it and would buy a second one."

Awesome vehicle, a lot of vehicle for the price

By on Thursday, January 23, 2014

Pros: "price, versatility"

Cons: "gas mileage, not much for ammenities"

"I bought a 2010 Xterra slightly used in 2010 with only 7500 miles on it. I have driven it everyday since, on many road trips, highway miles, back roads, even some slight offroad trips. This thing is dependable, great power, great handling. Feels great at 80 mph on the highway, or at 5 mph on the trail. Holds its value well as well. I would recommend this vehicle to anyone."

great SUV

By on Monday, December 30, 2013

"bought my 2007 off-road pkg. xterra new, 112.000 miles later and still going strong. My wife absoulutely loves it. Went and bought another one, PRO-X, this weekend, went back & fourth with gettel nissan for 4 weeks, final price paid, 28.500 out the door. X-CELLENT vehicle !!!! keep it up nissan"

Excellent, tough, good looking and highly function

By on Monday, December 30, 2013

Pros: "Tough, Dependable, unstoppable, Powerful."

Cons: "A little top heavy when cornering"

"Overall a great vehicle."

Reliable and practical; mileage could be better

By on Wednesday, December 11, 2013

Pros: "Tough, trouble free and does it all"

Cons: "By today's standards gass mileage is low (16-21)"

"My Xterra 4x4 has been one of the best vehicles I've ever owned. For reliability and do-anything capability I doubt it can be beat. I've done serious off-roading with it in Moab (with a 2" lift and off-road tires) and towed trailers (max weight about 4K lbs) for hundreds of miles. It's always done the job with power and comfort to spare. Never had a repair other than the radiator fan clutch went out at about 95K (replaced it with electric and get about 1/2 mpg better). With 104K I'm selling it while it's still worth a bit since I drive so little now and don't need off-road capability. It still looks and drives like new."

Great car

By on Friday, November 22, 2013

Pros: "Look, functionality, price, endurance, reliability"

Cons: "Gas mileage (closer to the lower end of the range)"

"I had a 2004 Xterra SE for four years before purchasing my new 2011 Pro-4x Xterra. This car is unbelievable. My 2004 lasted 40k+ miles with little more than 3-5k mile oil changes, and was still in good condition when I traded it in. Loved the car, and was dead set on another one because of the reliability, look, and functionality. The Pro-4x carries a higher price tag than the S and X models, and while off-road functionality (yet to be seen) is said to improve with this model, the Pro-4x add-ons are mostly only noticed by the most avid of off-roaders (save the leather, and sound system). While the other models are cheaper, the fully loaded Pro-4x is cheaper or comparable with lesser models of the Jeep, FJ Cruiser, or 4 Runner. Maine winters are very rough, and being a skier/snowboarder, I tend to push my car to the limit in the winter. The Xterra handled every situation in mud, snow, sleet, rain, without issue. In the softening world of crossovers, the Xterra and Wrangler stand alone in look, feel, and performance. The market may be shrinking for these types, but if you are looking for an athletic SUV ready to handle any situation and priced fairly, look no further."

Won't buy another

By on Wednesday, November 20, 2013

Pros: "Versatile car"

Cons: "Poor gas mileage , Faulty parts, no Nissan support"

"Original owner of a 2006. I bought this as my first Nissan based on a recommendation of a family member who use to own a Sentra. I really like the SUV, style, truck frame, all the different uses I get out of it and it's my only vehicle. My biggest issue is the fact the engine light is on more than off in the lifetime of the vehicle. Right after the warranty expired the fuel sensor went out and Nissan wouldn't help me replace it. Ok, warranty I get it. But then I saw lots of other Xterras with the same problem. After I spent $500 to fix that the engine light came back on and all 4 catalytic converters went out at 82,000 miles. I can't smog my car in California with out replacing and the quotes I got are around $4000 for all 4. That's a California thing since they are very expensive in this state. Then the transmission started acting funny and about that time I got a class action notice in the mail about some replacement money to help, but you can't have more than 100,000 miles and again I was just past that at 102,000. So I spent $800 fixing the leaky radiator which cause the damage to the transmission. After arguing with Nissan telling them they have put faulty parts in the Xterras and won't help out money wise with the bad parts I give up and will never buy a Nissan again. It's too bad because I really like the vehicle just not worth putting lots of extra money into fixing it all the time. My old Toyota went 300,000 with very little repairs and expense. Humm. Maybe my next one again. I don't feel Nissan backs up their cars in a reasonable mount of time to support car failures! Great car if you just want to park it most of the time."

Love this SUV

By on Monday, November 18, 2013

Pros: "Great price, easy ride, decent gas mileage"

Cons: "None that come to mind"

"Love my Xterra - so much so that I let my brother drive it while I was away for a month. I came back and he had bought one of his very own!"

Great offroad and snow traveling truck.

By on Saturday, October 26, 2013

Pros: "No place this vehicle will not take you."

Cons: "The gas mileage is low."

"The Xterra Offroad edition is the best all round offroad and adverse weather vehicle. With traction control, descent control and on the fly 4x4 this truck has taken me through the most demanding offroad environment. the engine has a timing chain (not a belt) which means no expensive timing belt repairs or service. I feel this truck will have a service life of 20 years with out any major financial expenditures."

I LOVE this vehicle!

By on Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Pros: "great price, fun to drive, very capable"

Cons: "no auxillary port, lumbar support lacking"

"I bought my Xterra new and I have loved it since then. I got the base model....all I wanted was something with 4WD that didn't cost a ton. I had a minor electrical issue (door wouldn't lock with the clicker) a few months after purchase but Nissan fixed it, hassle free. I haven't had a single issue since then! This vehicle has held it's value and is great! I've taken it snowboarding, hiking, you name it. I love the outdoors and I love knowing that my car can handle it. The few downfalls are that the seats don't have great lumbar support, there isn't a mirror in the passenger visor, and there isn't an auxillary port. The first two were easy fixes (I bought a vehicle lumbar attachment and also a clip in mirror for under $20) but the auxillary port is just ANNOYING. Why would a new car not have that? Anyway, this car is great!"

The Xterra Life- All else is second best

By on Thursday, September 12, 2013

Pros: "Fun to drive, comfortable, roomy, practical!"

Cons: "gas mileage"

"As a tour manager and producer I am on the road 50% of my year - living out of the vehicle at various concerts and festivals. This vehicle has been my lifeline to comfort and safe travel. Completely reliable for a girl on the road, able to haul small loads as I need (asmall trailers and the like), and the volume of cargo room has always been more than enough for my needs. By taking it to the dealership for service I have had complete confidence in its reliability and longevity. When I had one issue concerning the transmission / radiator warranty, Nissan and my dealership worked with me to get the repairs I needed covered. I am sold on this vehicle and this company- and it looks awesome too!"

Good Value

By on Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Pros: "Good value for the price."

Cons: "Need a little more interior space for the driver."

"Overall I am very satisfied with this SUV. It has been very reliable, has a strong engine and smooth shifting transmission. The interior is not very attractive, a great deal of plastic but the upside is that it is easy to clean and maintain. I personally find the seating to be just a little cramped for someone who is 6'2" tall but with the seat all the way back space is adequate. A very solid, reliable SUV."

Fun but gas hungry

By on Tuesday, September 03, 2013

Pros: "Off road capability, space, power."

Cons: "Fuel consumption, multiple minor mechanical issues"

"Fun to drive. It's been back to the dealer a few times for various little problems. I've got just under 25,000 miles on it and there's an occasional tapping sound in the front suspension when turning. The rear suspension is making a creaking noise after the vehicle is warmed up. My biggest complaint is the amount of fuel it uses. I average 14MPG city. With that type of fuel "economy" you might as well be driving an Escalade. I do enjoy the amount of power and acceleration available. Would have been nice if an aux in port for mp3 players were included as standard equipment but an after market stereo fixed that fairly easily."