2012 Nissan Xterra

Based on 435 Ratings for the 2005 - 2014 models.

Solid SUV, fun to drive

By on Sunday, February 16, 2014

Pros: "Sporty and agile, fun to drive"

Cons: "Arm rests would be nice"

"I bought this new in 2008. I just got back from a 6000 mile cross country drive. It handled dirt, ice, snow, slush and cruised comfortably across 17 states. A good off roader in its stock form. Its a bit small to sleep in comfortably for me. Heading east I got a high of 24 mpg thanks to a pretty constant tail wind. Usually get about 20 on the freeway. It now has about 45,000 miles and hasn't had any recalls or problems. The Vehicle Dynamic Control saved me a couple times. Once when I had to swerve around a parked truck on the freeway doing 60mph. Another time when I was hit on the rear passenger door doing about 50. The only thing my S model lacks is outdoor temp gauge and a compass built into the review mirror and a 6 CD changer. All things that could be added but my previous Ford SUVs had those features and I do like them. They are probably available on the SE and offroad model. I never thought I would keep her this long but I still like the body style, the power and handling. I've only done oil changes, tire rotations and had the coolant system flushed. Brakes are still good. This is my first Nissan or import for what its worth, it was built in Tennessee."

Best kept secret in SUV's, best value hands down.

By on Monday, February 10, 2014

Pros: "Price, Ride, Power, Capability, Value, features"

Cons: "Zero luxury options to choose from"

"Ride is firm, responsive, and super quiet. Interior is comfortable with necessary accessories like power windows, locks, cruise control, great sound system, 4WD shift on the fly, power locks, tilt steering. Nothing fancy. Engine power is great, exhaust note is really sweet, handling is quick and responsive and it corners very well (with the understanding this is a 4000lb tall SUV not a sports car). I love it, and where else can you get into a mid sized SUV with a 260hp V6 for less than 35,000? A couple of things I wish were standard equipment: Auto mirror with compass would have been nice, and how about some delay off on the headlights or even automatic headlights, not a lot of electronics to add that. If you're into heated leather seats this isn't your vehicle, in fact not even available, but if you want a very capable vehicle for the best price on the market with a great ride and comfortable cabin this is for you. If they would actually advertise these things I'm sure they could sell a heck of a lot more than they do!"

Not quite what I was looking for

By on Saturday, February 08, 2014

Pros: "Looks good."

Cons: "over 100,000 not reliable. At all."

"I bought this vehicle used with 98,000 miles. At 101,000 the catalytic converter failed 600$). at 107,000 the radiator failed (250$). at 110,000 the transmission failed (2,900$). at 116,000, camshaft positioning sensor failed (160$). All that in the first 2 years I owned the vehicle."

Fun & easy vehicle to drive.

By on Wednesday, February 05, 2014

"Bought new. Love, love it. Has off road pkg. & I have gone off road many times. Never let me down. Love hill holder & hill decent control. Plenty of power & rides ok for short wheelbase vehicle. Not an economy car. Gas mileage 12 - 19. Fit & finish are excellent. Interior is plastic but very easy to maintain. Styling needs refreshing. Overall the best car I have ever owned."

MY DREAM CAR! OFF ROAD BEAST!

By on Sunday, February 02, 2014

Pros: "Held its value, great in the snow, looks great!"

Cons: "No sun roof"

"I have the off road xterra- I LOVE it! I have always wanted this vehicle-I will never get stuck in bad weather- it's a blast in a snow storm- only wish it had a moon/sun roof."

Excellent! Fun to drive

By on Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Pros: "Go anywhere through anything. Fun to drive. Good s"

Cons: "Gas mileage..."

"A fun personality! We are having an awful winter-bitter cold and then feet of snow. This truck goes through it all. My only issue is that MPG is bad... I love it and would buy a second one."

Awesome vehicle, a lot of vehicle for the price

By on Thursday, January 23, 2014

Pros: "price, versatility"

Cons: "gas mileage, not much for ammenities"

"I bought a 2010 Xterra slightly used in 2010 with only 7500 miles on it. I have driven it everyday since, on many road trips, highway miles, back roads, even some slight offroad trips. This thing is dependable, great power, great handling. Feels great at 80 mph on the highway, or at 5 mph on the trail. Holds its value well as well. I would recommend this vehicle to anyone."

great SUV

By on Monday, December 30, 2013

"bought my 2007 off-road pkg. xterra new, 112.000 miles later and still going strong. My wife absoulutely loves it. Went and bought another one, PRO-X, this weekend, went back & fourth with gettel nissan for 4 weeks, final price paid, 28.500 out the door. X-CELLENT vehicle !!!! keep it up nissan"

Excellent, tough, good looking and highly function

By on Monday, December 30, 2013

Pros: "Tough, Dependable, unstoppable, Powerful."

Cons: "A little top heavy when cornering"

"Overall a great vehicle."

Reliable and practical; mileage could be better

By on Wednesday, December 11, 2013

Pros: "Tough, trouble free and does it all"

Cons: "By today's standards gass mileage is low (16-21)"

"My Xterra 4x4 has been one of the best vehicles I've ever owned. For reliability and do-anything capability I doubt it can be beat. I've done serious off-roading with it in Moab (with a 2" lift and off-road tires) and towed trailers (max weight about 4K lbs) for hundreds of miles. It's always done the job with power and comfort to spare. Never had a repair other than the radiator fan clutch went out at about 95K (replaced it with electric and get about 1/2 mpg better). With 104K I'm selling it while it's still worth a bit since I drive so little now and don't need off-road capability. It still looks and drives like new."

Great car

By on Friday, November 22, 2013

Pros: "Look, functionality, price, endurance, reliability"

Cons: "Gas mileage (closer to the lower end of the range)"

"I had a 2004 Xterra SE for four years before purchasing my new 2011 Pro-4x Xterra. This car is unbelievable. My 2004 lasted 40k+ miles with little more than 3-5k mile oil changes, and was still in good condition when I traded it in. Loved the car, and was dead set on another one because of the reliability, look, and functionality. The Pro-4x carries a higher price tag than the S and X models, and while off-road functionality (yet to be seen) is said to improve with this model, the Pro-4x add-ons are mostly only noticed by the most avid of off-roaders (save the leather, and sound system). While the other models are cheaper, the fully loaded Pro-4x is cheaper or comparable with lesser models of the Jeep, FJ Cruiser, or 4 Runner. Maine winters are very rough, and being a skier/snowboarder, I tend to push my car to the limit in the winter. The Xterra handled every situation in mud, snow, sleet, rain, without issue. In the softening world of crossovers, the Xterra and Wrangler stand alone in look, feel, and performance. The market may be shrinking for these types, but if you are looking for an athletic SUV ready to handle any situation and priced fairly, look no further."

Won't buy another

By on Wednesday, November 20, 2013

Pros: "Versatile car"

Cons: "Poor gas mileage , Faulty parts, no Nissan support"

"Original owner of a 2006. I bought this as my first Nissan based on a recommendation of a family member who use to own a Sentra. I really like the SUV, style, truck frame, all the different uses I get out of it and it's my only vehicle. My biggest issue is the fact the engine light is on more than off in the lifetime of the vehicle. Right after the warranty expired the fuel sensor went out and Nissan wouldn't help me replace it. Ok, warranty I get it. But then I saw lots of other Xterras with the same problem. After I spent $500 to fix that the engine light came back on and all 4 catalytic converters went out at 82,000 miles. I can't smog my car in California with out replacing and the quotes I got are around $4000 for all 4. That's a California thing since they are very expensive in this state. Then the transmission started acting funny and about that time I got a class action notice in the mail about some replacement money to help, but you can't have more than 100,000 miles and again I was just past that at 102,000. So I spent $800 fixing the leaky radiator which cause the damage to the transmission. After arguing with Nissan telling them they have put faulty parts in the Xterras and won't help out money wise with the bad parts I give up and will never buy a Nissan again. It's too bad because I really like the vehicle just not worth putting lots of extra money into fixing it all the time. My old Toyota went 300,000 with very little repairs and expense. Humm. Maybe my next one again. I don't feel Nissan backs up their cars in a reasonable mount of time to support car failures! Great car if you just want to park it most of the time."

Love this SUV

By on Monday, November 18, 2013

Pros: "Great price, easy ride, decent gas mileage"

Cons: "None that come to mind"

"Love my Xterra - so much so that I let my brother drive it while I was away for a month. I came back and he had bought one of his very own!"

Great offroad and snow traveling truck.

By on Saturday, October 26, 2013

Pros: "No place this vehicle will not take you."

Cons: "The gas mileage is low."

"The Xterra Offroad edition is the best all round offroad and adverse weather vehicle. With traction control, descent control and on the fly 4x4 this truck has taken me through the most demanding offroad environment. the engine has a timing chain (not a belt) which means no expensive timing belt repairs or service. I feel this truck will have a service life of 20 years with out any major financial expenditures."

I LOVE this vehicle!

By on Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Pros: "great price, fun to drive, very capable"

Cons: "no auxillary port, lumbar support lacking"

"I bought my Xterra new and I have loved it since then. I got the base model....all I wanted was something with 4WD that didn't cost a ton. I had a minor electrical issue (door wouldn't lock with the clicker) a few months after purchase but Nissan fixed it, hassle free. I haven't had a single issue since then! This vehicle has held it's value and is great! I've taken it snowboarding, hiking, you name it. I love the outdoors and I love knowing that my car can handle it. The few downfalls are that the seats don't have great lumbar support, there isn't a mirror in the passenger visor, and there isn't an auxillary port. The first two were easy fixes (I bought a vehicle lumbar attachment and also a clip in mirror for under $20) but the auxillary port is just ANNOYING. Why would a new car not have that? Anyway, this car is great!"

The Xterra Life- All else is second best

By on Thursday, September 12, 2013

Pros: "Fun to drive, comfortable, roomy, practical!"

Cons: "gas mileage"

"As a tour manager and producer I am on the road 50% of my year - living out of the vehicle at various concerts and festivals. This vehicle has been my lifeline to comfort and safe travel. Completely reliable for a girl on the road, able to haul small loads as I need (asmall trailers and the like), and the volume of cargo room has always been more than enough for my needs. By taking it to the dealership for service I have had complete confidence in its reliability and longevity. When I had one issue concerning the transmission / radiator warranty, Nissan and my dealership worked with me to get the repairs I needed covered. I am sold on this vehicle and this company- and it looks awesome too!"

Good Value

By on Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Pros: "Good value for the price."

Cons: "Need a little more interior space for the driver."

"Overall I am very satisfied with this SUV. It has been very reliable, has a strong engine and smooth shifting transmission. The interior is not very attractive, a great deal of plastic but the upside is that it is easy to clean and maintain. I personally find the seating to be just a little cramped for someone who is 6'2" tall but with the seat all the way back space is adequate. A very solid, reliable SUV."

Fun but gas hungry

By on Tuesday, September 03, 2013

Pros: "Off road capability, space, power."

Cons: "Fuel consumption, multiple minor mechanical issues"

"Fun to drive. It's been back to the dealer a few times for various little problems. I've got just under 25,000 miles on it and there's an occasional tapping sound in the front suspension when turning. The rear suspension is making a creaking noise after the vehicle is warmed up. My biggest complaint is the amount of fuel it uses. I average 14MPG city. With that type of fuel "economy" you might as well be driving an Escalade. I do enjoy the amount of power and acceleration available. Would have been nice if an aux in port for mp3 players were included as standard equipment but an after market stereo fixed that fairly easily."

The mud puppy!!

By on Thursday, August 08, 2013

Pros: "Alot of vehicle for the price...and it's a beast!!"

Cons: "mpg and no mp3 jack"

"The main reason I bought my 2011 xterra was to get me thru the central florida mud, i live 4 miles of the the nearest paved road and have to get thru several mud holes to get in and out of my property. I wanted a jeep but the were around $10,000 more than what a paid for my xterra. Well i think i made a wise choice, i absolutely love it. It rides like a dream on the paved roads and gets thru the mud hole in 2WD i havn,t needed 4WD yet, but if a hurricane blows thru here i'm sure i will. It's real comfortable for me as i'm not a big guy. I can't comment on reliability yet as i've only owned it a few months...but so far so good. I think it's a good lookin SUV and one of only a few options if you want a REAL 4x4 suv. My big con besides the MPG, which is well documented here is the lack of an mp3 jack in the base model, but thats real minor."

All around great vehicle.

By on Monday, August 05, 2013

Pros: "Fun to drive, reliable, stylish, power, cmfrtble"

Cons: "Low gas MPG, fuel gauge, tire snsrs, $$$ pur. prce"

"I live in Colorado, subject to extremely varied driving terrain. Most of the time I'm in the city, but I feel quite confident during even the worst snow storms in 4-wheel drive (plus my seasonal studded snow tires). During the three years that I have owned this vehicle, there was a problem with the fuel gauge, which I have read is common. Others have had a bear of a time getting the dealerships to replace this component, but they fixed it fine for me. The other persistent problem I have had is in the automatic tire pressure sensor - the battery went out and they are extremely costly to replace. Finally, this vehicle does NOT get good gas mileage, so be prepared for sub-20 mpg on the highway and less in town. On the plus side, the car has power, is reliable, can go wherever I want with very decent clearance, and handles beautifully in the snow. I also am partial to its body style, it is extremely comfortable inside, and my friends like it. One suggestion would be that the vehicle have a display inside of outside temperature."

Dissapointed. 2012 Xterra S V 6 4X4

By on Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Pros: "Looks"

Cons: "don t take it over 10000 ft without a tow strap"

Looks good Just as long as you keep it on the paved roads!

"Bought this 2012 X for one reason . Wanted to ride the offroad trails in Co. Was told it would do a fine job, Boy was I mislead. The first pass I tried it on it could not do it. Imogene Pass Ouray Co. 1000'from the top of the pass it just shut down. Would not pull at all. We backed down a few hundred feet and made 3 attempts. It never did make it over the pass. I had to swallow my pride and get the tow strap out. Thanks to the FJ the pulled me the rest of the way over the pass. The X only has 25K miles and has been serviced by NISSAN only . They have no idea why it would not pull on that pass. But trust me the last thing I wanted to do was swallow my pride and get that blasted tow strap out, And let a Toyota FJ pull me!"

Looks good Just as long as you keep it on the paved roads!

Spontaneous Combustion

By on Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Reason: Transmission failure

Pros: "Style, Driveability, Power, Handling"

Cons: "Gas mileage, rear visibility, oh and it's a NISSAN"

"I have owned 11 vehicles in my lifetime. The 2005 XTerra was my second favorite (Cadillac CTS is first.) It was fun to drive, no problems, stylish, sporty, had plenty of storage space... Then it left me stranded 85 miles from home with spontaneous transmission failure. After $241 to tow it home and a new valve body, it died again. After a rebuilt transmission, it died again. It sat in my driveway for 8 months because I ran out of money to put into it. After a replaced radiator, it died again. I wound up trading it in for a Yukon and had $3000 in negative equity, plus the money I spent to have it fixed, making the total cost to me over $7000, and it was only worth $8500 to begin with. This was an absolute nightmare. NISSAN KNOWS ABOUT THIS PROBLEM AND THEY HAVE SHRUGGED THEIR SHOULDERS TIME AND TIME AGAIN AT LOYAL NISSAN OWNERS! Never will I ever own another Nissan, simply because Nissan DOES NOT care about its consumers."

Great SUV

By on Friday, March 29, 2013

Pros: "very reliable and tough"

Cons: "gas mileage"

"Almost 200,000 miles on my 2001 Xterra and I've never had a problem."

RUGGED and SOLID RIDE. PERIOD!

By on Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Pros: "Rugged on and off road, great 4x4 capability"

Cons: "lot's of plastic, engine noise"

"I own this vehicle and it's GREAT! I purchased mine used with just 32100. It handles well on and off the highway and has the get up and go to pull a filled 5X10 Uhaul type trailer. The engine has a nice growl. However, the engine sound can be excessive in the interior. The interior is made up a lot of hard durable plastic and isn't as plush as the Nissan Pathfinder, Armada, or the AWD Murano. Yet, is the very reason I chose to purchase an Xterra. The Xterra has great interior space, enough space to fit a love seat and with a rear interior made purposely with hard durable plastic I don't have to worry about tearing any carpet. The base package stereo is basically a single disc AM/FM radio and doesn't come with an MP3 plug in. Washington State has many off road areas and that's what the Xterra is made for. The stance on the Xterra is stout and aggressive and comes "right out of the box" ready to 4X4. The ride is comfortable on the road and the handling is surprising when navigating the clover leaf turn heading on to the highway and the engine has the get up and go to jump up to highway speeds. Yet, heading off the beaten path is what I enjoy about my Xterra. It's given me a reason to explore the off road."

Great Vehicle....just don't keep it too long!

By on Sunday, March 03, 2013

Pros: "Good power, handling, ride on and off road."

Cons: "Prone to transmission cooler failure!"

"I was very happy with my Xterra until I hit 110,000 miles (mostly highway miles) and had the transmission cooler fail. As with most other owners who have had this problem, this happened after warranty had expired. Cost me a new radiator and rebuilt transmission. Prior to the problem, it was a dream SUV. Plenty of power, comfortable ride for a truck chassis, and very reliable. The transmission cooler failure seems to be a fairly common problem, so I would not recommend keeping the car after the warranty expires...too great a risk of a very large repair bill! A shame, because it was really a great vehicle!"