2011 Nissan Xterra

Based on 460 Ratings for the 2005 - 2015 models.

Competent at many roles.

By on Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Pros: "Capable off road, looks good, powerful."

Cons: "Could be better equipped. More MPG's!"

My 2010 Xterra in the Monongahela National Forest

"The Xterra isn't the fanciest, most comfortable, or most well equipped SUV, but what it does, it does well. I've had mine in a great many different off-road situations, including once when I pushed foot-deep mud with my front bumper. The Xterra never even blinked. I was skeptical about "brake locking" (aka, traction control) for off-roading, but it works surprisingly well. When a wheel spins, that wheel is braked and the power goes to the wheels that have traction. Doesn't have a lot of bells and whistles, but has the basics to be comfortable in everyday driving. I've pressed mine into service as a vacation hauler and it makes a decent station wagon, with enough room for my 5' 11" son in the back and lots of luggage. Reliability has been good so far. No problems. Great power and handling for a big vehicle. Gas mileage is only so-so (personally haven't gotten more than 20 mpg). Interior space could be better. Upholstery is cheap looking and stains easily. I added seat covers and now don't have to worry so much. Mine developed a squeak somewhere deep in the dash that can occasionally be annoying. The cruise sometimes can't make up its mind at lower speeds, dropping several miles per hour below where I set it, then "waking up" and rushing forward so quickly that soon you're going faster than you want to. On the freeways, though, it's fine. Lots of hauling room with the seats down. Sturdy roof rack with rooftop storage compartment, which is nice for carrying messy stuff outside your vehicle. And of course, the thing looks like it is ready for action. If I had it to do again, I'd buy it in a heartbeat. I heard the Xterra is going out of production in the next couple years. I hope that's not true...I'd like to have another one."

My 2010 Xterra in the Monongahela National Forest

Won't buy another

By on Wednesday, November 20, 2013

Pros: "Versatile car"

Cons: "Poor gas mileage , Faulty parts, no Nissan support"

"Original owner of a 2006. I bought this as my first Nissan based on a recommendation of a family member who use to own a Sentra. I really like the SUV, style, truck frame, all the different uses I get out of it and it's my only vehicle. My biggest issue is the fact the engine light is on more than off in the lifetime of the vehicle. Right after the warranty expired the fuel sensor went out and Nissan wouldn't help me replace it. Ok, warranty I get it. But then I saw lots of other Xterras with the same problem. After I spent $500 to fix that the engine light came back on and all 4 catalytic converters went out at 82,000 miles. I can't smog my car in California with out replacing and the quotes I got are around $4000 for all 4. That's a California thing since they are very expensive in this state. Then the transmission started acting funny and about that time I got a class action notice in the mail about some replacement money to help, but you can't have more than 100,000 miles and again I was just past that at 102,000. So I spent $800 fixing the leaky radiator which cause the damage to the transmission. After arguing with Nissan telling them they have put faulty parts in the Xterras and won't help out money wise with the bad parts I give up and will never buy a Nissan again. It's too bad because I really like the vehicle just not worth putting lots of extra money into fixing it all the time. My old Toyota went 300,000 with very little repairs and expense. Humm. Maybe my next one again. I don't feel Nissan backs up their cars in a reasonable mount of time to support car failures! Great car if you just want to park it most of the time."

Perfect Vehicle for me!

By on Monday, October 17, 2011

Pros: "Great for off-roading and small - medium towing"

Cons: "Semi cheap plastics inside"

"This is the perfect vehicle for me. If you're looking for a really comfortable ride, look for a crossover. However if you go off road or do a little towing, the Xterra is perfect. Great power and handles surprisingly well for a truck based SUV. I recently pulled a 4,000 lb vehicle across the country and the Xterra tackled it without a problem. During the tow I averaged about 15 mpg, but under normal driving I get 19-20."

Awesome vehicle, a lot of vehicle for the price

By on Thursday, January 23, 2014

Pros: "price, versatility"

Cons: "gas mileage, not much for ammenities"

"I bought a 2010 Xterra slightly used in 2010 with only 7500 miles on it. I have driven it everyday since, on many road trips, highway miles, back roads, even some slight offroad trips. This thing is dependable, great power, great handling. Feels great at 80 mph on the highway, or at 5 mph on the trail. Holds its value well as well. I would recommend this vehicle to anyone."

Reliable and practical; mileage could be better

By on Wednesday, December 11, 2013

Pros: "Tough, trouble free and does it all"

Cons: "By today's standards gass mileage is low (16-21)"

"My Xterra 4x4 has been one of the best vehicles I've ever owned. For reliability and do-anything capability I doubt it can be beat. I've done serious off-roading with it in Moab (with a 2" lift and off-road tires) and towed trailers (max weight about 4K lbs) for hundreds of miles. It's always done the job with power and comfort to spare. Never had a repair other than the radiator fan clutch went out at about 95K (replaced it with electric and get about 1/2 mpg better). With 104K I'm selling it while it's still worth a bit since I drive so little now and don't need off-road capability. It still looks and drives like new."