2011 Nissan Xterra

Based on 435 Ratings for the 2005 - 2014 models.

Powerful When Needed

By on Sunday, August 24, 2014

Pros: "Competitive price, fun to drive, reliable"

Cons: "Seat comfort, excessive speed in 1 Low"

"The Xterra S series had the hauling capacity we needed to build a home, the power needed to get up mountains weekly for skiing and hiking, and the lower price we wanted to pay compared to similar SUVs. While building our home in another town, I was returning to our current home alone late on a winter night. I was almost to the top of a mountain pass at 10,000' or so and had to pull off to relieve myself. Because there was 3' of new snow I could not see the deep ditch I pulled into until it was too late. The Xterra was banked at quite an angle. I attempted to pull forward a few times but the off-road front tire could not jump the embankment. After a moment of panic and review of my options, I threw the Xterra into 4 Low, gunned it in reverse and spun the steering wheel so the back tires could jump the embankment. This was risky because if it didn't work my front tires would now be in the ditch. But it worked! Strangely enough the front and rear tires had enough power to push me out but not pull me out. Being a female by myself in this remote area under these conditions late at night was scary, buy my Xterra got me out of this bind for which I'll be forever grateful. There are lots of useful gadgets on the S model that help with hauling, tying down, getting in, reorganizing, etc. Highly recommend Yokihama Geolander ATS tires for this car for all season/all terrain use. Items I've noticed that need improvement: 1) The seats, as usual like in 99% of cars, are very uncomfortable on both seat and back. The only car seats I've ever thought were comfortable in both front and back seats were my 1998 Aurora and 2005 Cadillac. I don't understand why manufacturers cheat on the comfort of seats and backs considering they are used 100% of the time. We are now looking for replacement seats by another manufacturer to improve comfort after using seat cushions and lumbar inserts for eight years. 2) While the Xterra has great traction, control, and clearance, when descending steep grades and using 1 Low to reduce speed and use of brakes, the Xterra still wants to speed up to about 20mph-too fast on steep grades and curves. The engine should slow the car down to 12mph max so the driver can control the Xterra without brakes."

Fun to drive but few options available

By on Saturday, August 09, 2014

Pros: "Reliability, power, 4WD system, fun to drive."

Cons: "Few options, liftgate doesn't split"

"Pretty much a bare bones car. Has good power and excellent 4WD. But luxury options are few. No sunroof available for example. Very reliable though. Nissans are known to last. The fact that the liftgate doesn't split can be annoying. There are plenty of cubby holes for storage. 6 cup holders in all is very helpful. 2 glove boxes also comes in handy. Not the best mileage however."

Great get up and go power for all terrains!

By on Tuesday, August 05, 2014

Pros: "fun to drive, great handling on all terrains."

Cons: "More durable upholstery."

"Great handling SUV but not friendly at the gas pump when driving the hills and mountains of VA. It has a recall for radiator to transmission mixing r/i transmission failure. We had that problem fixed. Nissan needs to put more durable upholstery in this SUV as the seats wear too quickly. Overall a good car."

Dependable and Reliable

By on Sunday, August 03, 2014

Pros: "Large cargo space, durable, low maintenance"

Cons: "Gas mileage is not economical"

"I have had my Xterra for 3 years now and it is one of the most reliable and dependable vehicles I have ever owned. Suprisingly, this car will move fast on the highway if you have to punch it for boost speed. I have had one repair in 3 years which was the replacement of a fuel indicator switch. I have also put new tires on the vehicle. As one other person stated, it is like an old friend. There is a squeak here and there but nothing I would complain about. I have hauled enough rocks to hardscape a medium size back yard, enough lumber to build a sizable deck, towed other vehicles, pulled a 25' boat, etc. To say it is a workhorse is an understatement. It has been garage kept so the paint job looks new. Overall, I strongly recommend this vehicle if you are looking for an all purpose SUV. The biggest down side is fuel economy of which there is none. However, this vehicle has long been paid for so, for me, it is a small price to pay for the amount of value I have received from owning the vehicle during the past few years."

Powerful, Fun, and Capable Off-Road Vehicle

By on Tuesday, July 22, 2014

Reason: Gas mileage, high mileage

Pros: "Power, off-road capability, 6-speed manual"

Cons: "Gas mileage, rear seat access, cost to repair"

"I had a blast with this car for 4 years before selling it to get a newer vehicle. It's surprisingly fast, but you'll pay for it at the pump, and otherwise its a rough and rugged go-anywhere SUV that isn't quite like anything else. I sold it because I put a lot of miles on my vehicles, so I wanted something a little better on gas, plus it was just getting up there in mileage. It ran and looked great when I sold it with about 150k miles, and I (well, "we," including my fiance and friends) still miss it. I took it from GA to Manhattan to Denver, and lots of places in between. I've slept in it, crossed rivers, crawled over boulders, got up over 115 mph on the highway, and hauled groceries and mulch. The only time it didn't start for me was when I had a dead battery, and all we did was push it far enough to pop the clutch, and that got us to the auto parts store for a new one. I ended up putting a good bit into proactive repairs, but it probably could have gone without some of it. I'm an engineer, and like my vehicles running smoothly. Two expensive maintenance costs to look out for: 1. Clutch (manuals only). The factory one is undersized, and will often go out before 100k miles. Dealers want around $2k to replace it due to the excessive labor required. Highly recommend replacing factory clutch with a Jim Wolf Technologies part, which should be a wash in cost. 2. Raditator/Tranny Leak (automatics only): Major issue with certain models/years. Wasn't a problem for me, but could cost you thousands if you have an automatic."

THE MOST AMAZING CAR ON THE PLANET EARTH!!!!!!!!!!

By on Saturday, May 17, 2014

Pros: "Everything. Plain and simple"

Cons: "NOTHING at All."

"This car has been through it all, and it still runs like the day I got it. :) This is not just a car, it is my best friend. I'm not gonna sell this work of art any time soon. I'm s grateful for this amazing car, and I highly recommend it for anyone who is interested!!!!! Trust me, it will be worth it."

Great little SUV

By on Thursday, May 15, 2014

"This is by far the best vehicle I have ever driven on snow/ice covered roads. The Xterra is a beast on mountain passes in any weather!"

A good 4x4, especially on slick roads, we like it

By on Tuesday, May 13, 2014

Pros: "great handling on slick roads, spunky"

Cons: "poor storage in front:pens, sunglasses, tablet,etc"

"We have a 2007,drive it in 4x4 for months at a time, in snow/ice, and average almost 20,000 miles/year. Can't understand others' mileage numbers: we consistently get 20 mpg. It is a manual, so maybe that's the difference. Don't like the lack of storage in the front seat. room for coffee cups and that's it. Took out the back seats long ago, have hauled lots of cargo in it, even 8' lumber. Very few mechanical problems; but the gas gauge went bad.Very irritating. Back to dealer only once in 7 years for work."

Never Again

By on Wednesday, May 07, 2014

Pros: "Looks, ruggedness"

Cons: "Really poor quality"

"My Xterra has been a money drain since I purchased it new in 2006. I am a 40+ year old mother with a husband and two young boys - we're not hard on a vehicle. I've replaced several serpentine belts, the heat/ac switch, the alternator, radiator, drivers window motor, in-tank fuel filter, rear hatch lock, U-bolts and one and on. Of late, I replaced a cracked radiator and am currently trying to save the transmission which has radiator fluid running through it (a very common Xterra issue). I love it's looks both inside and out and the gas mileage is pretty good for its class, but I'll absolutely never ever purchase another Nissan. It's too unreliable and costly."

Sturdy, inexpensive SUV that may need some upkeep.

By on Friday, May 02, 2014

Pros: "Sturdy, drives like a truck."

Cons: "Bumpy, expensive repairs inevitable"

"There's no frills when it comes to an Xterra. It's a sturdy, fairly reliable SUV that can get you where you need to go. Throw your EPA mileage out the window. I average 15-16 driving conservatively. Pre-2008 autos have a serious problem with the trans cooler that can blow your transmission, and Nissan only warranties it to 70k, leaving repair costs to the vehicle owner."

awesome fun to drive

By on Sunday, April 27, 2014

Pros: "Great Price- great looks- fun to drive"

"Second xterra that I have owned! Love the size and the way it handles. Very dependable and just what I needed. Controls are basic but I did not want a BMW that is why I went back to my 4WD Xterra. If you want a dependable suv with good looks and all the power you need. I highly recommend !!"

Great OffRoad Vehicle Plus Daily Driver-05 6spS4x4

By on Friday, April 25, 2014

Pros: "Affordable, Great Off-Road Capabilities."

Cons: "Gas Mileage, Back seat space room"

"Please know, this SUV/Truck is very basic. One review I read said, "everything you need, nothing you don't." This is very true. Simple in necessities which is great for me. I don't need anything fancy. Great hauling ability and great trunk and over head space. I have had this 2005 Nissan Xterra S, 6SPD, 4x4 for a year now. I bought it with 103k in miles. I now have 114k in miles. We had a rough winter and this vehicle helped move me and my family around with no issues. The 4WD really helps get through some tough thick snow with ZERO problem. Having this vehicle in 6spd stick is great because you can move in and out of problem situations and is actually pretty peppy for a V6 265hp vehicle. This Xterra will move when you want it too. I did have to replace the rotors/brake pads but this is normal. I didn't have the service records but since then everything has been great. I also replaced tires with what was recommended, BF Goodrich Radials T/A. Ride is smooth and clean. I did get cloth seats which on long road trips are not very comfortable, I would suggest a seat cushion. Other than that, the X-Terra has exceeded my expectations. I believe this can go to 240k in miles. You just must keep up the regular preventative maintenance and it should be fine. One Con that I wish I could change, for the size of this vehicle, the backseat space could be larger. I would allow for a little less trunk space for more backseat legroom. Maybe similar to the pathfinder in space size."

Built solid

By on Thursday, April 24, 2014

Pros: "Tough"

Cons: "Steering wheel controls and fuel mileage"

"Love this truck. Handles week, feels tight, excellent sound system, safe and reliable."

I bought two!

By on Thursday, April 17, 2014

Pros: "Value in functionality you need and iconic styling"

Cons: "More MPG but not at expense of functionality"

"I bought a 2012 xTerra that I used for my hunting dogs and traveling cross country from MN to WA every other month or so. I have a love/hate relationship with the MPG. I wish for more MPG but at the same time I don't want the xTerra to lose it's iconic styling and functionality so I deal with it. I pretty much get around 18 MPG in ideal conditions cross country. Everything else I love so much that I just bought a 2014 model because I am afraid Nissan might stop making the xTerra. My wife also loves the xTerra so I said fine, I'll get my own. I also like the xTerra because i feel like I am paying for value in functionality I actually need rather than junk I don't need. Example: I don't want or need a car that parks for me, stops for me, checks my blind spot or any other goofy safety computer junk. I like to drive and don't need help. I don't even care about the navigation or other computer and audio stuff. I would rather buy aftermarket and install professional sound. At the same time the stock navigation and audio are very good in the xTerra as long as you can deal with a subwoofer under your seat. I had to change that. Now power, braking, handling, off road capability, and iconic styling? I'll pay for that. My 2012 has 70,000 miles and my 2014 has 5000. Neither has had any issues and am happy to have both of them. It gives us peace of mind that we can handle nearly any road or off road condition in MN and driving across country. Dogs are comfortable too in back with the seats folded down."

Best vehicle ever owned.

By on Tuesday, April 15, 2014

"Perfect for hauling dogs, dirt, and gear. Mileage (worst 16.5, best 24(!had to check twice!) on a road trip, flat across CO/NE/IA/MN, with a tailwind. Usually around 18.5 in mixed driving. Have the Pro-4X because of the options. Great truck. I'm a "25000 and trade it" guy, have 50,000 on this one and will be keeping it for a long time."

Cons: "Needs some work done at about 60k miles"

"This is our second Xterra, and we have been very happy with both of them. We take it over the mountain pass several times per year, and never hesitate to tackle the toughest weather conditions. It handles well off-road as well. The 4-wheel drive function works extremely well while driving. I would recommend the Xterra to anyone looking for a good SUV 4-wheel drive. It has plenty of room in back, and the seats also fold down. Only issue we have seen is that you have to have some work done at about 60k miles."

My favorite SUV of all I've owned

By on Wednesday, April 09, 2014

Pros: "Size, handling, feels very solid, looks"

Cons: "Only 18 mpg, key fob alarm too sensitive"

"Bought new in Dec 2009 and have put a lot of miles on it. Currently has 114,500 and I have yet to put brakes on it - which is unbelievable. Get regular maintenance done every 5,000 and I'm coming to the end of my second set of tires. Plan to get 200,000 on it before I trade it in for another one. I really like it."

My favorite SUV of all I've owned

By on Wednesday, April 09, 2014

Pros: "Size, handling, feels very solid, looks"

Cons: "Only 18 mpg, key fob alarm too sensitive"

Like this model body style.

By on Friday, April 04, 2014

Pros: "High enough to see ahead of the car in front."

Cons: "Driver seat uncomfortable long distance."

"The Xterra was exactly what I expected and wanted."

Good suv, great powerful engine, poor gas mileage

By on Sunday, March 23, 2014

Pros: "Power, styling, cofortable, roomy"

Cons: "poor mpg, cheaply made, bad brakes, common probems"

"Not the same Nissan since Renault bought them out. Very nice suv, but cheaply made, alot of common problems, fuel gauge sensor, blower motor resistor, terrible brakes, paint chips easily, rusts quickly. Would take a 95 pathfinder over this xterra anyday, pathfinder has way better 4wd. Rear lower door seals fall off poor design, antenna in bad location for cleaning snow off of windshield, rear bumper poor design, too close to tailgate, freezes up in winter. VDC not good for offroad."

Versitile, roomy, very reliable, poor gas mileage.

By on Thursday, March 06, 2014

Pros: "Reliability; Versatility; Comfort"

Cons: "MPG"

"Being 6'2" and a physical therapist I like that I can easily sit with good posture, comfortably in the xterra. Bought the car new over 5 years ago. The reliability and versatility are what stand out to me. I feel as though I have driven it pretty hard for 85k miles and have only had one strut fixed (under warranty), one set of new tires put on, and routine oil changes. In my mind, the truck still feels new. Carrying my road bike around in the back with the seats down was a plus and the truck has been very convenient for multiple road trips, even if the gas mileage isn't the best. Avg 18 miles combined, driving about 75/25 city/highway. Haven't really gotten over 20 highway. I have since bought a civic for business purposes but find it hard to sell this truck as I think it will be tough to find a more reliable vehicle out there."

perfect for active living with kids, dog, gear!

By on Sunday, February 23, 2014

Pros: "powerful, compact, simple, practical, super fun!"

Cons: "stiff ride, no extra space inside (not roomy)"

"Just upgraded my older Xterra (2002) to a 2014 Pro-4x. I can't think of anything that is missing in this model! The upgrades are perfect down to the last detail. The engine is much more powerful and is super spunky on the HWY. I love the heated leather seats and the plastic vs carpet in the back storage area. The matts in the back seat area cover the middle hump which keeps the carpet from wearing. This vehicle will be easy to keep clean! It has every 'techy' convenience but doesn't look busy and cluttered. The back seats fold down perfectly flat so we can sleep in the vehicle on road trips if needed. There are more storage compartments in this model for 'stuff' and they are really well designed. The vehicle is wider and feels much roomier. The driver and passenger seats also have more leg room. I have always loved the Xterra for it's rugged design and sporty look. We live out in a rural area and deal with lots of snow and crazy road conditions. I've never had a problem. I also drive logging roads a fair bit in the pursuit of adventure...This vehicle handles well and can literally go places that no other vehicle can. It's pretty amazing! I would have liked to get the built in DVD players for the back seats...that's still to come :) It is for sure a 'stiffer' ride than many of the SUV/crossover vehicles that offer a smoother highway drive but you quickly get used to the feel of it and it's worth it when you look at the trade offs. It's truly the best vehicle for family adventuring in alap seasons with kids, the dog and lots of gear!"

It does what it is meant to do very well!

By on Monday, February 17, 2014

Pros: "Great Offroad and easy to clean, Nice unique look"

Cons: "Bad Fuel Economy"

"I've had my Xterra for two years now. So far the only issues I've had have been a window regulator and I needed a new 4wheel drive switch. All covered under warranty The vehicle is what it is. It is a utilitarian off-roader. It does great off road and in the snow(with proper tires). The inside is basic and easy to clean. The leather seat are comfortable enough. The Rockford fosgate stereo sounds great. Overall the gas milage has ranged from high 15 to low 17 average although I did get a average of 20 on a long drive out of Vermont. I hope this helps. If you have looking for an Off road SUV in the price range there is nothing better."