2009 Nissan Xterra

Based on 476 Ratings for the 2005 - 2015 models.

Love my truck!

By on Thursday, September 8, 2011

Pros: "All around perfect SUV."

"I purchased new in 08', Xterra S. 2WD, and 6 speed manual. I average 22mpg running the ac or not, this truck will go through the winters in NC with ease. No mechanical problems, only servicing and the stock tires went over 60,000 ! I have been more satisfied with this vehicle than any other I've owned in over 25 years of driving. It appears to hold its residual value very well, only $4500 less value than the purchase price after 3 years of ownership!"

I Love This Truck

By on Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Pros: "Tons of fun to drive."

Cons: "The famous "milkshake of death""

"I have owned my Xterra for over a year and I love it. The truck rides smooth, and handles great both on road and off road. We put over 20,000 miles on it in the first year vacation and family trips. And heading up north for Christmas with no worries because the 4 wheel drive on this truck will get you there. There are some minor problems with the design, but with a little research and elbow grease you can remedy these problems and have an eXcellent truck. The first problem is the auto transmission/radiator "milkshake of death" where the auto trany fluid eats the bottom of the rad out mixing the fluid and blowing the transmission. This can be fixed by doing a radiator by-pass. There is a extra stock trany cooler on the truck so there are no ill effects. The second problem is if you tow a lot the rear springs can wear out. All you have to do is get some after market springs bolt them on and you are good to go. Still with it's flaws I will buy another Xterra, even looking for one for my wife."

Better than Advertised!!

By on Tuesday, February 8, 2011

"Yes, it's not the best on gas, but still better than others. I have a 2007 Off Road. I get 18.2mpg highway and City I get 17.1 mpg, even when on the farm putting it through the ringer I average 15.4 mpg. This vehicle is exactly as advertised, rugged, drives like a truck, takes a beating, haul your kids, dogs, mud covered bikes and cleans up ready for the highway or a nice day on the mountain. If you buy this vehicle expecting something other then a rugged SUV built to get you there, no matter what situation, than go buy something else. It's not luxury, nor is it advertised as such, so the reviews talking about quality and looking at an X5 or MDX, please, look at the what vehicle is made for and compare it to it's equals. This vehicle is the best vehicle I have owned, hands down, not a bad list: 2010 BMW 135i, 2009 C350, 2004 350ZR, 2007 Nissan Maxima, 2001 Toyota Echo, 1995 Ford F150. Looking to buying a replacement 2011 or 2012 in 10 months...:)"

Puts the SPORT back in SUV

By on Thursday, January 27, 2011

"2005 Xterra Off Road 4x4 is quite possibly the most capable SUV that really means business no matter where the road leads you. Comfortable and quiet on the road, unstoppable when the pavement ends, and makes even part time off-roaders look like they know what they're doing. 90k miles on it and still running as well as the day it was new. Gets 20+ mpg on the highway and 17-18 in the city or on the trails. It's definitely tough, but comfortable... a rare combination. Not long on frills... it's like the ads used to say... everything you need... nothing you don't. When this needs to be replaced it will be with another X for sure... I just hope they still make them when that time comes!"

Reliable

By on Saturday, January 15, 2011

"This is a very reliable car! I have owned it for 3 years. I bought it used. I have only done the normal matenience, oil changes, and brakes. It is a great ride on the interstate, but bumpy on rough roads. A truck ride. A little difficult to get in back seat. Not a great family car for that reason only. I would recommend this car!"

Great Value,Little Comfort

By on Monday, June 7, 2010

"I have owned the O/R Xterra for going on 3 years now and have many great things and not soo great things about this SUV. Great powertrain for on and off road, during the east coast winter storms of 09 I tried to get stuck and never did. I have taken about 4 road trips of over 600 miles and I can tell you it can pack a lot a gear but after a couple hours the very non-supportive seats start to hurt the lower back. Great for gear hauling and fun for offroading but if you want some comfort look elsewhere."

Best off-road I've owned

By on Wednesday, October 7, 2009

"I have shipped it to Greece(early 20060), and used it there for serious off-roading. It takes me to places where roads and goats are non-existent and brings me back safely, in style and securely. It does make heads turn and not only because the Xterra is not produced in Europe; in Greece, aside from mine(a 2005 SE model)I only met another one(2003 model) and it was like a long lost-relative reunion. On the highway, I take it up to 110 mi/hr(yes!)and it feels as if I'm doing only(!)85 mi/hr. Great for long hauls, or about town[not the Greek towns where streets/roads are suitable only for small(er)cars],with or without the family! Go get yourselves one!!!You won't be disappointed...on the contrary. Ans as for maintenance:I have 29,000 miles on it and only oil changes,air filter and some windshield wipers have been changed; and the windshield, broken by falling rocks on a mountain. P.S. My daughter owns a 2002 SE and she is just as happy with hers as I am with mine."

Awesome bang for the buck!

By on Monday, August 31, 2009

"I love my 2009 Xterra Off- Road. It was between this and the FJ but the FJ had too many blind spots, low drivers seating, felt flimsy and less power than the Xterra. I took my 09 Xtera to Oregon last year and it plowed over some deep snowed on roads in Portland like nothing. I love the power, interior styling and simplicity of only what you need. The Fosgate sound system is great and the bang for the buck factor can't be beat. Fyi, it rides like a truck...because it is so don't expect a Cadillac ride if you expect to off road it. With that said, it has good road manners and crisp steering. It's great and I love it. Only complaint; where is the outside temp. gauge???"

in love with my Xterra

By on Tuesday, May 26, 2009

"The only problem I have with my Xterra is the dealerships. (All Nissan Dealerships around my area are VERY RUDE) My Xterra is awsome! I have taken off road severaly times, never hit anything on the bottom! It has enough power to move the suv, and very comfy on road trips. every six months my family (myself, husband and two boys four and five years old) ride in this car easliy for 400 miles. The only thing with that is when my boys get bigger there is only little back seat room...We bought ours NEW!"

Wonderful

By on Sunday, April 5, 2009

"Best vehicle I've ever owned...would have another one and will once I drive this until it can't go anymore!"

awesome truck

By on Monday, March 23, 2009

"I have always been a die-hard Chevy guy, but the new ones just were not comfortable for. So I shopped around and tried some of the other "suvs" - although I may not push my trucks that much, I still wanted to buy one that was based on a truck frame, had decent power, looked different than all the others on the road and would allow me to do some off roading and not have to worry about driving in the New England winters. The X was just about the only suv that really fit my requirements and I was sold as soon as I sat down and put my foot on the pedal! There is no stopping this thing. Gas mileage is no worse than other pickups or SUVs I've owned. Looks sharp driving down the road. 26,000 miles and only oil changes and a battery... Only 2 things I would change - 1: everything scratches too easily (paint as well as interior plastic), 2: if the back was just an inch or 2 longer I would be able to put full 6-foot long items in the back (tables, etc) in the back and still close the hatch (not that I do this too often). If they are still making the X when it's time to buy again I will be getting another - and we are so happy with Nissan that we just bought my wife one of their cars today without any second thoughts."

Great Sportsman Trcuk

By on Thursday, March 19, 2009

"I love this car because it allows me to enjoy all my out door activities and then some. Great for fishing, camping, cycling, and any outdoor lifestyle. We bought it to pull our boat and it does so much more. Definitely recommend it to any person with and active lifestyle."

2006 Xterra 2WD

By on Monday, January 26, 2009

"I've had my Xterra for 2 years and no mechanical problems so far. Mileage is terrible 12 city/18 hwy. Ride is stiff, but handling is great. I have 3 kids and it's a great vehicle for all their surf boards and boogie boards. Easy clean surfaces. The paint seems to scratch easily and I'm not happy about the resale, but I plan to keep it until it dies and I only have 13,000 on it now."

Great

By on Monday, October 13, 2008

"This car is so good for people who like 2 camp and do things outdoor. Only down side is gas but what do u expect to get with a suv. this is what i get 15.5/23"

Fun truck

By on Friday, February 29, 2008

"Bought this '08 6 months ago. Very pleased with performance. Unlike most people I find the front seats very comfy. Not a lot of passenger leg space for my very tall husband. Stability in rain and snow (3 ft. this year so far) excellent. Not too many bells and whistles to worry about going bad. I believe a better value than my sis's Toyota 4-Runner. Great for camping and road tripping."

Ole Squeaky

By on Saturday, January 19, 2008

"2005 Xterra S Suspension is stiff and squeaks after a bit of ridge running, but Xterras hold their own 4-wheeling. I checked the VDC on an icey road, it works like a charm (took awhile to sort a skid out and turn it back on). If you are in a hurry, this truck is for you; but, it winds up loud. Gas mileage is poor (15 mpg hard driving) to good (19 mpg when light-footing it up to 63 mph). I can get 22+ running sustained 85mph on the highway (I can't figure why). Trust the warranty it is good."

Best Vehicle Ever

By on Sunday, January 6, 2008

"THIS IS MY FIRST SUV, I HAVE ENJOYED EVERY MINUTE OF THE XTERRA! I MOVED FROM TEXAS TO FLORIDA BACK TO TEXAS; HAD GREAT GAS MILEAGE ( 20.5). I HAVE FOUR DOGS THAT LOVE TO TAKE A RIDE IN MY XTERRA, PLENTY OF ROOM; ALSO EASY TO CLEAN,WHEN THEY GET MUDY FEET WITH THE NO CARPET IN THE BACK CARGO AREA. I FEEL VERY SAFE DRIVING IN MY XTERRA, WOULDN'T GET A SMALLER CAR!"

good if you don't have kids

By on Tuesday, December 4, 2007

"I bought this vehicle Dec 06 then found out I was pregnant in Jan. I was happy that I bought this vehicle til I went to install the car seat and sat in the back. There is hardly any leg room to get in and out of, plus installing a car seat was awful. The car seat says to put the carrying handle down but you can't because there isn't enough room from the front seats. Plus it has to be in the middle to have room to drive. We tried to put it behind the drivers seat and if we wanted to do that, the drivers seat had to be pushed way up and I can't drive that way. I am really disappointed because my friend has one that is a 2003 and her back seat has plenty of room. I don't know why the makers would change it that much. I didn't think about sitting in the back seat before I bought it, but now I know!!"

Great SUV

By on Wednesday, July 11, 2007

"This SUV comes highly recommended and is my second Xterra I have owned. It will hold its value for future trade-in or when it't time to sell. The only drawback is the gas mileage, being an SUV has something to do with that."

awesome fun to drive

By on Sunday, April 27, 2014

Pros: "Great Price- great looks- fun to drive"

"Second xterra that I have owned! Love the size and the way it handles. Very dependable and just what I needed. Controls are basic but I did not want a BMW that is why I went back to my 4WD Xterra. If you want a dependable suv with good looks and all the power you need. I highly recommend !!"

Built solid

By on Thursday, April 24, 2014

Pros: "Tough"

Cons: "Steering wheel controls and fuel mileage"

"Love this truck. Handles week, feels tight, excellent sound system, safe and reliable."

Best vehicle ever owned.

By on Tuesday, April 15, 2014

"Perfect for hauling dogs, dirt, and gear. Mileage (worst 16.5, best 24(!had to check twice!) on a road trip, flat across CO/NE/IA/MN, with a tailwind. Usually around 18.5 in mixed driving. Have the Pro-4X because of the options. Great truck. I'm a "25000 and trade it" guy, have 50,000 on this one and will be keeping it for a long time."

Handles like a champ in all terrains and weather.

By on Sunday, April 13, 2014

Pros: "Handles well in all weather conditions."

Cons: "Needs some work done at about 60k miles"

"This is our second Xterra, and we have been very happy with both of them. We take it over the mountain pass several times per year, and never hesitate to tackle the toughest weather conditions. It handles well off-road as well. The 4-wheel drive function works extremely well while driving. I would recommend the Xterra to anyone looking for a good SUV 4-wheel drive. It has plenty of room in back, and the seats also fold down. Only issue we have seen is that you have to have some work done at about 60k miles."

My favorite SUV of all I've owned

By on Wednesday, April 9, 2014

Pros: "Size, handling, feels very solid, looks"

Cons: "Only 18 mpg, key fob alarm too sensitive"

"Bought new in Dec 2009 and have put a lot of miles on it. Currently has 114,500 and I have yet to put brakes on it - which is unbelievable. Get regular maintenance done every 5,000 and I'm coming to the end of my second set of tires. Plan to get 200,000 on it before I trade it in for another one. I really like it."

Fun & easy vehicle to drive.

By on Wednesday, February 5, 2014

"Bought new. Love, love it. Has off road pkg. & I have gone off road many times. Never let me down. Love hill holder & hill decent control. Plenty of power & rides ok for short wheelbase vehicle. Not an economy car. Gas mileage 12 - 19. Fit & finish are excellent. Interior is plastic but very easy to maintain. Styling needs refreshing. Overall the best car I have ever owned."