2009 Nissan Xterra

Based on 436 Ratings for the 2005 - 2014 models.

Great Vehicle....just don't keep it too long!

By on Sunday, March 03, 2013

Pros: "Good power, handling, ride on and off road."

Cons: "Prone to transmission cooler failure!"

"I was very happy with my Xterra until I hit 110,000 miles (mostly highway miles) and had the transmission cooler fail. As with most other owners who have had this problem, this happened after warranty had expired. Cost me a new radiator and rebuilt transmission. Prior to the problem, it was a dream SUV. Plenty of power, comfortable ride for a truck chassis, and very reliable. The transmission cooler failure seems to be a fairly common problem, so I would not recommend keeping the car after the warranty expires...too great a risk of a very large repair bill! A shame, because it was really a great vehicle!"

My best vehicle to date

By on Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Pros: "Perfect sport Utility! Very fun to own!!"

Cons: "Would like to have heated seats"

My Xterra loves the snow the best!

"I have owned this car from the beginning. Towed a trailer across the country, I go off-roading often, load it up and driving it all over town ever day. I would buy another just like it!"

My Xterra loves the snow the best!

"Everything you need, nothing you don't."

By on Sunday, February 24, 2013

Pros: "Quick engine, great looking, ready for anything."

Cons: "Expensive recalls, poor fuel economy."

"I completely understand when others express their dislike for the Xterra, and that's because it's not a vehicle for everyone. It is a specialty vehicle. If you just want a vehicle where you sit "higher up" to run errands and make your daily commute in, than the Nissan Xterra is not for you. On the contrary, if you want one of the most powerful small-size SUVs on the market that can handle 5000 pounds trailing behind it, the toughest of 4x4 trails, rides stiff like a true truck, and isn't packed with useless luxury features like heated steering wheels and memory seats, than the Xterra is perfect for you. It has an extremely well-assembled interior, with perfectly fitted easy-to-clean plastics being the main cabin material of choice. The buttons and controls for AC and the great radio are very well-placed, and the attractive cloth seats are very comfortable and easy to clean. The exterior is a love it or hate it; I happen to find the boxy, muscular appearance very rugged and cool. Something that I did not expect out of the Xterra was the fact that the 4.0L 261-hp V6 engine is actually quite fast. You can blow past most sedans on the road from a red light, and highway passing (even at speeds upwards of 70mph) is very easy for the Xterra. It is very torquey at low RPMs and has another intense powerband around 4000 RPMs. This SUV does, after all, share a modified version of the celebrated VQ35DE engine found in the Maxima and 350Z. Cargo space is more than adequate and the roof rack is best-in-class. Steering is deliberate and due to the short wheelbase the Xterra maneuvers somewhat like a large family sedan rather than a bulky SUV. Brakes are very responsive and smooth. The stock tires handle extremely well in rainy conditions, though I would recommend Michelins to enhance performance even more. True to its truck roots, suspension is a bit bouncy on pavement (which some may find fun), as it is tuned to handle off-roading purposes. Being well over six feet tall, the Xterra is very top heavy -- slightly more so than your average SUV. Combined with a speedy V6, some caution must be exercised when rounding tight corners or making abrupt lane changes. Fuel economy is dismal at around 14/20; and a 21-gallon tank makes spending $75.00 at the pump common. However, this is to be expected with a strong 4.0L engine like the Xterra's. As with any used vehicle except maybe a Honda, there are a couple of technical service bulletins posted on 2005-2008 Xterras that are very serious. This includes the timing chain tensioners being inadequately constructed, an issue which will result in a slight whine upon acceleration around 80,000 miles. Unfortunately, this is a very expensive issue to resolve, costing around $900-$1,200 and requiring almost the entire engine to be dismantled. Another problem is the coolant leaking into the transmission fluid, leading to transmission failure. This is also a very expensive issue to take care of, especially if a full transmission replacement is involved. As with any used-car purchase, you should do your research so you know exactly what you're getting into. In conclusion, if you know what you're buying and the Xterra fits your needs, there is simply no better choice. The 2nd generation Xterra speaks for itself, 2014 will be its 10th model year running. Kudos to Nissan for creating an awesome product."

Love my Xbox

By on Monday, February 18, 2013

"Ordered this one new to get the manual transmission. This is a great SUV. Taken it everywhere, on road and off road, completely stock no modifications and it does great. Only in shop for maintenance never any problems or issues."

I am trading for my 3rd Xterra, enough said!!!

By on Saturday, February 16, 2013

Pros: "Great for off roading in the Ozarks, Great for Lab"

Cons: "Fuel sender to guage and check engine light"

"Heard they were moving out of Smyrna, TN plant and possibly Chrysler putting these together. I don't want any part of that. This has been a very reliable vehicle. I hunt and fish. It has served me well. Anyone that is a sportsman, cannot go wrong with this vehicle. I will buy a 2012 while I can still get an SUV mounted on a truck frame. No crossovers for me!!!!"

We Love it!!!

By on Monday, November 19, 2012

"We purchased our Xterra with a little over 10k miles on it, about 6 years ago. It has been worth every penny. It has never broken down on us, and we are not the kind to care immaculately for cars. The oil changes have been kept up, but we have never even done a tune up and she still runs great. We had a minor issue with the gas gauge but it ended up being a factory defect that was easily resolved. The back seat is a little snug for our 3 children, but its mainly my husbands commuter vehicle so that's not a major problem. If you are the rough and tumble kind the Xterra is for you!! It has served us very well."

LOVE my Xterra

By on Sunday, November 04, 2012

Pros: "great fun to drive, dependable, decent mileage"

Cons: "no lock on glove compartment, visors break easily"

"This is my second Xterra. My first was an '03 3.3 L, V6, manual tranny 4WD. I like a manual transmission and purchased the Xterra originally because it offered the vehicle size I wanted with the transmission & 4WD option. I enjoyed the 2003- but it was an XE- what, 170-180 HP? It was the basic model- no frills, but it did the job. I easily pulled out a 4 WD Tahoe that was stuck in mud and snow. Once the miles hiked, I went looking for a newer 4L, V6. IF you want an Xterra, get the 4L engine. My HP went up 265, but with the manual transmission I sacrificed MAYBE 1 MPG. The 2003 was a 5 speed- the 2005 is a 6-speed. I love this truck. With both vehicles I got between 16-18 MPG city (depending on a/c usage)and 22-24 HWY- the 4L tackles a highway very nicely. It doesn't ride like a caddy- but it's a TRUCK. It rides like a workhorse. A bit bumpy- but I expected it to do so. The back seats on this model lie fully flat- which was not the case in the 2003 model. Nissan also rigged the 2005 so that the back seats pull down much easier. I have a complaint about the visor set-up. Cheaply done - had to replace (and probably will have to replace again one day). Also would have liked to have had a locking glove compartment (which the 2003 did have). The 2005 has a timing CHAIN (remember those?). Very glad of that- and an option that allows you to start the engine (push of a button) without engaging the clutch. Nice. Plenty of power ports. I do wish my vehicle had the side curtain airbags- but maybe next time. I plan to hold on to this truck for a very long time. I drove out of state to find it. The manual transmissions aren't easy to get your hands on, but well worth it in my mind. Not sure I would say so if I lived in an urban area, but for rural, snowy weather this fits my needs perfectly. Oh, and I took it camping last summer - had a very comfortable sleep in the back for 3 days."

Great Great Great!!!!!

By on Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Pros: "Reliability, Simplicity, Off-Road Capabilit"

Cons: "A little bumpy, Not Luxury, Gas Mileage"

Steep hill, picture doesnt do it justice.

"I have owned this Xterra for almost three years now and have put 60,000 miles on it. This vehicle has been absolutely amazing. I never knew the prowess and capability of Xterras until I bought this one. With around 260 HP stock, it has plenty of power and i have towed 6,000 Lbs with it flawlessly, although you could tell it was behind you due to the short wheel base. I bought it lightly used, 22,000 miles, for half the price of a new one. The offroad capability is AMAZING, especially if you have the off road version with lockers. Mine does not but it is still much more capable than any other SUV, besides a jeep. There was a competition in 2008 in Desert Valley and here was the final results: Land Rover- 5th Hummer H3- 4th Toyota FJ-3rd Jeep Wrangler Rubicon- 2nd Nissan Xterra Off Road- 1st Thats right Xterra won over the Jeep and FJ, but i still think jeeps are pretty good at getting just about anywhere but they are not reliable being made by Dodge which is a very unreliable company in my opinion especially compared to Nissan. My Xterra has never had any problems and the only things that have given me issues is my tires leaking which may be a valve stem problem or tire problem. This is NOT A LUXURY VEHICLE BY ANY MEANS. They are nice yes, but no bells and whistles, short of cruise control and CD Player. Its simple and the Xterra modo from Nissan is "Everything you need, nothing you don't". I will have to say awesome stero in it as well. Plenty of room inside, im six foot and there is still plenty of room for someone larger. Fair to good back seat leg room, plenty of headroom due to bump in roof design. Its not top heavy like it looks though. From what i understand the Xterra is a true SUV, where they took Frontier truck and boxed it in, theres your Xterra. Little bit of a bumpy ride compared to Chevy Trail Blazer. Awesome hatch space, when you open the liftgate the hatchspace is all hard plastic and when you lay the seats down, the backs of those is the same hard plastic so it can take spills, woods, heavy camping gear, whatever you want to put back there. Grey interior easy to keep clean, nice seats, double glove box, also hill descent control is a great feature that most come with. 4-low is awesome with huge torque increase and great limited slip. My buddies chevy 2500 HD 4WD got stuck going up hill but my X zipped up it like it was nothing while pulling the log splitter. I live on a farm in the smokey mountains so i have had it in plenty of snow, mud and odd/uneven rocky, and steep terrain. Never had any problem. Overall this vehicle is great. If your looking for a luxury vehicle this isnt it, maybe Pathfinder or next up from that but i dont know anything about those at all. If your looking for reliability, off-road capability and somewhat fuel economic this is you. The fuel economy with your foot on the pedal hard or towing or off-roading is about 14-15 MPG, if your easy on it you get 17-18 MPG combined highway and intown, and i drive both equally. NOTE: The only reason i get 17-18 is because i never take my vehicle above 2500 RPM, and i drive slow on backroads, 60 on highway, 70 on interstate. It will get worse if your get on the pedal at all but the power is there if you need it."

My video

Steep hill, picture doesnt do it justice.

Easy hill, but it shows how it doesnt spin in a bad spot. My sisters Trail Blazer would have never done that.

Great car

By on Saturday, October 20, 2012

"Fun to drive great to park.. strong engine.. no problem geting on the highway. rides high you can see everything. Seats aren't the most comfy... ride is bumpy.. and I have the most irritating squeak in the back."

Someone made a mistake.

By on Sunday, October 14, 2012

"I just want to clarify that the person who gave this vehicle a "1" or "0". probably does not own an Xterra. It sounds like he or she owns a Pathfinder. The Pathfinder is a hunk of junk and should be avoided at all cost. It is a fact that their transmissions are defective as the reviewer mentioned, water from the radiator (tranny cooler) gets into the transmission. I've trailered boats with my Xterra through Washing DC traffic,roads in Canada, if you can call them that, and locally in PA and have never had a problem with the transmission or anything else. The temp gauge has never moved. And I own an '04 which has a 3.3 liter compared to the '08 that has 4.0 and better brakes than mine. So, if you're thinking about buying an Xterra you can't go work. Spend the extra money for the side rails and better interior. If you're not really using it for off-road don't go the pro-4X way. It's just over kill."

Are the other reviewers kidding?

By on Saturday, September 15, 2012

Pros: "Exterior looks good"

Cons: "It is a money pit of problems!"

"This is by far the worst vehicle that I have ever owned in my life, at 44. My husband and I have literally paid thousands of dollars to keep this on the road. It has 155,000 now, but these have been all highway miles. We've never taken it off-road. We've replaced so many things, it should be listed as new - except that things keep going wrong even now! So, the transmission is now needing replacing; the faulty design allowed the radiator fluid to mix with the transmission fluid. Apparently, this is something that has happened to hundreds of people, so I question how I'm not reading about this and how everyone is calling this hunk of junk "reliable." Reliable? That is the furthest statement from the truth. I wouldn't recommend this SUV to anyone."

Great vehicle...Awesome all around.

By on Thursday, July 19, 2012

Pros: "Outdoor Use, Comfort, Look"

Cons: "Gas isn't great, entry/exit for rear passengers"

"Great vehicle to own, especially if you live somewhere where you have a lot of snow/rain, enjoy driving trails or just the outdoors in general. Roof rack and the roof storage are amazing. Easy fold-down seats with easy clean up, especially after a day of mountain biking or hiking. This vehicle is a little sensitive on steering at your higher speeds, but overall this vehicle is fantastic. This vehicle is simple, effective and functional…couldn’t ask for more."

I LOVE THIS CAR

By on Friday, July 13, 2012

"is the best car i ever buy used ."

Good value

By on Monday, June 25, 2012

Pros: "good overall value"

Cons: "a few more repairs than my 4-Runner"

"I bought my 2005 used with 32K on it, since then I've racked up over 100K more. I really like the horsepower but the trade-off is lower gas mileage. It does well off-road and in snow. I have a kayak and enjoy the body design and roof rack, well thought out and functional. Compared to my previous car, a Toyota 4-Runner I have had a few more mechanical problems and spend more on repairs but I also paid a few thousand less than a comparable 4-Runner so guess you get what you pay for. Good overall vehicle for every day life and offers some respectable off-road capabilities."

Little Red Wagon that Could

By on Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Pros: "Reliability, Great Winter Car, Versatility"

Cons: "Road noise, Gas mileage"

"I have the 2002 S automatic with 4x4. I've loved the reliability of this vehicle! I did the basic maintenance (oil, etc) and put two sets of tires on it while I owned. The only problems I had were: the temperature adjuster/resister which went out twice (there was a recall on this) and the fuel pump once (I had a local guy fix it and he botched the job somehow and the vehicle was running out of gas at a quarter of a tank. So from then on it was the dealer for fixing after that). It survived the Wyoming Rockies and the Wisconsin winters with ease. I did one haul on unplowed roads from WI rapids to Tomah in at least 6 inches of snow without ending in the ditch or getting stuck! I also picked up a guy on the way to work one winter when his sedan was stuck in the snow. Done some hauling of our motorcycles and lots of yardwork mulch hauling over the years without trouble. You can't beat the driver's view (I changed from a toyota corolla which is low to the ground). I also like the tough look exterior which seems lost on the newer SUVs/cross overs. On the con side... It does get a bit loud out on the highway and does get pushed by the wind. I would imagine any high profile vehicle would be pushed by the wind. The only reason I'm thinking of getting a smaller SUV is that I'm commuting a bit further now and would like a little better gas mileage but any AWD or 4x4 vehicle will suck down a lot of gas but I don't want to be stuck in subzero weather in a Wisconsin winter either."

Sport and Utility Indeed!

By on Friday, June 15, 2012

Pros: "Worry-free dependability, cargo/seating space, 4x4"

Cons: "Gas mileage, faulty gas gauge"

"Purchased my 2006 Xterra S used (formerly a rental) in 2008. Looked past the poor gas mileage because of its ability to facilitate my hobbies. I've played in bands for a while, and this vehicle has not only fit my drums, but also large amps, guitars, a bass, a guitarist and a bassist, all at once. The folding seats lay flat unlike some other vehicles and the remaining rear seat has a nice bucket-seat feel. I used to be fortunate enough to live near Lake Tahoe. I took countless trips up the mountain to get in some much needed skiing. Again, the cargo/seating space and attached ski rack (Yakima) allowed for five people, four snowboards, one set of skis, all the gear, and a 12-pack to boot! Also, 4x4 capabilities allowed me safe travels on icy and snowy roads. On one of my more adventurous descents, I actually paced a snowplow during a whiteout. Now I have a 2-year old and there is ample room for the car seat, groceries, toys, books, etc. The seats are very easy to clean and the cargo area provides a nice space for a makeshift changing table. My family moved across country and I was able to fit my entire life into my Xterra (granted, we moved to a furnished apartment.) After four years, I don't know if I can bring myself to part with this wonderful vehicle. I imagine I'll drive it as far as it will take me."

We got a steal!

By on Monday, May 14, 2012

Pros: "comfort, style, cargo, and flexiblity to lifestyle"

Cons: "Sound system, no power mirrors on "X". I have "S""

"Value is a higher rating then most since we got well under the invoice price on the Xterra S model. Nissan has always been a reliable brand for the last three vehicle my family has owned. The qulaity of the vehicle exceeds my standards. I do not want a fancy SUV, I want one I can get dirty on the weekend and be nice during the week. Driving dynamics, great pick up and handling, the highway driving is impressive, you can hear everyone speak inside the car while on the highway. Interior, the sounds system could be better, but no problem here since my last sound system was really bad. Exterior, the compartment on the roof is nice and so is the space under the trunk. It is very comforable, I could take it on a long road trip and hitting bumps in the road are barely felt. IT IS A GREAT NEW VECHICLE!"

Best vehicle I have owned to date

By on Sunday, May 06, 2012

"Fun truck to drive. Needs styling update."

Good all around truck

By on Sunday, April 29, 2012

Pros: "Good 4wd performance, good looking, few probs!"

Cons: "No rear air, lackluster acceleration, basic int."

"Its a good truck for the money. The interior is fairly plain but I didn't expect much more. I got the X trim which is very basic, although power windows and power locks are standard. It is a really tough truck. The power was a little dissapointing but I've installed a cold air intake that seemed to really help a lot. The gas mileage is surprisingly good, I have gotten up to 23 miles/gallon on long highway trips. My clutch went out at 45k miles but this may have been partially due to teaching my girlfriend to drive a stick (warranty did not cover). I had a window motor go out at 55k and warranty covered that. Other than that it has surprised me numerous times on its overall toughness and off-road capability. I put a 2 inch lift on the front with 33'' tires. It looks sharp and I get a lot of compliments."

Love my Xterra

By on Friday, April 13, 2012

"I have had my Xterra for 8 months! love the ride, the mileage is not bad at all!! Look what you are driving. If you need to get out of the way on the highway, plenty of horsepower! I love feeling safe.. will not trade!!!!"

Best outdoor machine made

By on Wednesday, April 04, 2012

Pros: "Best outdoor machine made"

Cons: "OPEC pleasing fuel economy"

It just needs some minor tweeks.

By on Wednesday, April 04, 2012

Pros: "Outside storage on top, visibility, versatility"

Cons: "Gas mileage, rear passenger entry/exit"

"I bought this truck used at 65000 miles and now have 117000 miles. I have had NO problems out of it and the brakes are the only thing that I have replaced. It drives the same as it did the day I bought it. It is an awfully thirsty vehicle to be so small, though. I'm always driving, but the main complaint my friends have is getting in and out of the back seat... there is no room; even for short people. Once they get in it's fine, though. The compartments and storage areas are convenient and well-placed. I can't wait for my next XTerra!"

great truck

By on Monday, April 02, 2012

Pros: "fun to drive,great gas milage,and very versatle"

Cons: "wish i got higher tirm pkg,"

"i have owned nissans for last 12 years,the all have been great vehicles,this is my 2nd xterra,the first being a 2001,great on gas,no problems,plan on passing it down to my daughter once she starts driving.prob. will be another xterra too,but with a higher trim pkg,it is a great go anywhere truck and lots of room for all your gear you want to take."

Never Felt Safer!

By on Monday, April 02, 2012

Pros: "safe,comfortable,roomy,good on all terrains"

Cons: "city miles per gallon aren't awesome"

"I have driven MANY cars and I have never felt more safe in a car then when I drive my 2007 Xterra. I have never had any major issues with this this car. I can drive in the snow/rain/ice and never feel like the roads are too dangerous. The truck is stable in all conditions and I would highly recommend this car to anyone looking for an SUV. It doesn't have the best gas mileage for city/suburban drivers..but if that is the only down fall on this truck(and i think it is) then it is absolutely worth buying!!!<3 this truck!"

great suv

By on Thursday, March 29, 2012

"great suv but i wish it got better gas mileage ..lol but really thats the only down fall .. get a 4x4 it nice ..."