2009 Nissan Xterra

Based on 463 Ratings for the 2005 - 2015 models.

Reliability defined!

By on Wednesday, April 29, 2015

Pros: "Dependable, reliable, smooth ride, handles well"

Cons: "mpg sucks"

"Great, dependable car. 17 mpg is the only reason it is a 9 instead of a 10 across the board."

Solid SUV, fun to drive

By on Sunday, February 16, 2014

Pros: "Sporty and agile, fun to drive"

Cons: "Arm rests would be nice"

"I bought this new in 2008. I just got back from a 6000 mile cross country drive. It handled dirt, ice, snow, slush and cruised comfortably across 17 states. A good off roader in its stock form. Its a bit small to sleep in comfortably for me. Heading east I got a high of 24 mpg thanks to a pretty constant tail wind. Usually get about 20 on the freeway. It now has about 45,000 miles and hasn't had any recalls or problems. The Vehicle Dynamic Control saved me a couple times. Once when I had to swerve around a parked truck on the freeway doing 60mph. Another time when I was hit on the rear passenger door doing about 50. The only thing my S model lacks is outdoor temp gauge and a compass built into the review mirror and a 6 CD changer. All things that could be added but my previous Ford SUVs had those features and I do like them. They are probably available on the SE and offroad model. I never thought I would keep her this long but I still like the body style, the power and handling. I've only done oil changes, tire rotations and had the coolant system flushed. Brakes are still good. This is my first Nissan or import for what its worth, it was built in Tennessee."

Excellent! Fun to drive

By on Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Pros: "Go anywhere through anything. Fun to drive. Good s"

Cons: "Gas mileage..."

"A fun personality! We are having an awful winter-bitter cold and then feet of snow. This truck goes through it all. My only issue is that MPG is bad... I love it and would buy a second one."

Love my Xbox

By on Monday, February 18, 2013

"Ordered this one new to get the manual transmission. This is a great SUV. Taken it everywhere, on road and off road, completely stock no modifications and it does great. Only in shop for maintenance never any problems or issues."

We got a steal!

By on Monday, May 14, 2012

Pros: "comfort, style, cargo, and flexiblity to lifestyle"

Cons: "Sound system, no power mirrors on "X". I have "S""

"Value is a higher rating then most since we got well under the invoice price on the Xterra S model. Nissan has always been a reliable brand for the last three vehicle my family has owned. The qulaity of the vehicle exceeds my standards. I do not want a fancy SUV, I want one I can get dirty on the weekend and be nice during the week. Driving dynamics, great pick up and handling, the highway driving is impressive, you can hear everyone speak inside the car while on the highway. Interior, the sounds system could be better, but no problem here since my last sound system was really bad. Exterior, the compartment on the roof is nice and so is the space under the trunk. It is very comforable, I could take it on a long road trip and hitting bumps in the road are barely felt. IT IS A GREAT NEW VECHICLE!"

Never Felt Safer!

By on Monday, April 02, 2012

Pros: "safe,comfortable,roomy,good on all terrains"

Cons: "city miles per gallon aren't awesome"

"I have driven MANY cars and I have never felt more safe in a car then when I drive my 2007 Xterra. I have never had any major issues with this this car. I can drive in the snow/rain/ice and never feel like the roads are too dangerous. The truck is stable in all conditions and I would highly recommend this car to anyone looking for an SUV. It doesn't have the best gas mileage for city/suburban drivers..but if that is the only down fall on this truck(and i think it is) then it is absolutely worth buying!!!<3 this truck!"

Best Vehicle Ever

By on Friday, January 27, 2012

Pros: "Everything you could want in a vehicle."

Cons: "Back seat not as comfortable as front."

"I'm 58, and I've owned several used cars when I was younger and 4 new vehicles in the past 20 years. This Nissan Xterra is by far the best vehicle I've ever owned. In fact, it's superior to any of my friends' vehicles. I've never done anything but change the oil and tires and new brake pads on the back wheels, and there were 2 minor recalls from Nissan, both of which were handled easily and without charge. I had previously thought Toyota was the best quality vehicle (I've owned a Celica and a Camry), but by far this Nissan has been the most reliable and all-around vehicle. With the 4-wheel drive, I've been able to keep going in snow and ice and to help others who were stranded. It has 150,000 miles on it and I plan to keep it as long as possible. I've never been so completely confident with a vehicle."

Great Off Raod vehicle

By on Monday, January 02, 2012

"This vehicle does not get stuck ANYWHERE. It will pull Jeeps, Hummers and trucks out of the mud with ease."

Great veichle

By on Friday, December 09, 2011

Pros: "off-road toy, stock, many options.. fun to drive"

Cons: "no veichle is perfect.."

"Dependable, great on gas for a big 6 cylinder. Power is there aswell as looks. Could use softer shocks (if your the winer type). Fits 5 people comfortably.. leg room is good. The rear could always be used as a bed for two..(who said you need a 200000 dollar house on wheels)."

Love my XTerra!

By on Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Pros: "Great price, smooth ride"

"Have not had any problems with this vehicle. Drives very smooth and I have had sooo many compliments on it!"

just what I expected from Nissan

By on Wednesday, November 02, 2011

Pros: "Much more ready muscle than I expected"

Cons: "MPG would be a dissapointment if I was a worker B"

"I've been driving an Infinity I-30 for 10 years and decided that since I am now retired I wanted to have some fun. I live on a canal near the beach, have a boat, own some other goodies which this model is very adaptive to. We have been "buying and holding" Nissans, Infinity, and Datsuns since the early 70s. With few exceptions I have never had a negative experience with these machines. They deliver what you expect for the money and more with dependability as my highest priority. They keep getting better looking year by year too."

Love my truck!

By on Thursday, September 08, 2011

Pros: "All around perfect SUV."

"I purchased new in 08', Xterra S. 2WD, and 6 speed manual. I average 22mpg running the ac or not, this truck will go through the winters in NC with ease. No mechanical problems, only servicing and the stock tires went over 60,000 ! I have been more satisfied with this vehicle than any other I've owned in over 25 years of driving. It appears to hold its residual value very well, only $4500 less value than the purchase price after 3 years of ownership!"

I Love This Truck

By on Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Pros: "Tons of fun to drive."

Cons: "The famous "milkshake of death""

"I have owned my Xterra for over a year and I love it. The truck rides smooth, and handles great both on road and off road. We put over 20,000 miles on it in the first year vacation and family trips. And heading up north for Christmas with no worries because the 4 wheel drive on this truck will get you there. There are some minor problems with the design, but with a little research and elbow grease you can remedy these problems and have an eXcellent truck. The first problem is the auto transmission/radiator "milkshake of death" where the auto trany fluid eats the bottom of the rad out mixing the fluid and blowing the transmission. This can be fixed by doing a radiator by-pass. There is a extra stock trany cooler on the truck so there are no ill effects. The second problem is if you tow a lot the rear springs can wear out. All you have to do is get some after market springs bolt them on and you are good to go. Still with it's flaws I will buy another Xterra, even looking for one for my wife."

Better than Advertised!!

By on Tuesday, February 08, 2011

"Yes, it's not the best on gas, but still better than others. I have a 2007 Off Road. I get 18.2mpg highway and City I get 17.1 mpg, even when on the farm putting it through the ringer I average 15.4 mpg. This vehicle is exactly as advertised, rugged, drives like a truck, takes a beating, haul your kids, dogs, mud covered bikes and cleans up ready for the highway or a nice day on the mountain. If you buy this vehicle expecting something other then a rugged SUV built to get you there, no matter what situation, than go buy something else. It's not luxury, nor is it advertised as such, so the reviews talking about quality and looking at an X5 or MDX, please, look at the what vehicle is made for and compare it to it's equals. This vehicle is the best vehicle I have owned, hands down, not a bad list: 2010 BMW 135i, 2009 C350, 2004 350ZR, 2007 Nissan Maxima, 2001 Toyota Echo, 1995 Ford F150. Looking to buying a replacement 2011 or 2012 in 10 months...:)"

Puts the SPORT back in SUV

By on Thursday, January 27, 2011

"2005 Xterra Off Road 4x4 is quite possibly the most capable SUV that really means business no matter where the road leads you. Comfortable and quiet on the road, unstoppable when the pavement ends, and makes even part time off-roaders look like they know what they're doing. 90k miles on it and still running as well as the day it was new. Gets 20+ mpg on the highway and 17-18 in the city or on the trails. It's definitely tough, but comfortable... a rare combination. Not long on frills... it's like the ads used to say... everything you need... nothing you don't. When this needs to be replaced it will be with another X for sure... I just hope they still make them when that time comes!"

Reliable

By on Saturday, January 15, 2011

"This is a very reliable car! I have owned it for 3 years. I bought it used. I have only done the normal matenience, oil changes, and brakes. It is a great ride on the interstate, but bumpy on rough roads. A truck ride. A little difficult to get in back seat. Not a great family car for that reason only. I would recommend this car!"

capable 4x4 gas hog

By on Tuesday, December 07, 2010

"Purchased a used 2007 S model, 6 months ago. Put 15k miles on it in that time. This vehicle is a truck, not a car, so handles like a truck. I purchased this at a bargain price of $14500, compared to a brand new one, it was a steal. Great time to buy a 4x4 gas guzzler because everyone is buying subaru's and other small AWD cars. Handling: even for a truck, is poor. My Mechanic can't determine why, but it wonders on the road a lot. Just the nature of the X, be prepared for it. It can be tiring to drive on long trips. Quality: Nissan saved a lot of money by building the interior of this car out of cheap plastic components that break, crack, and scratch easily. Seat material is poor. Wear was very apparent when I purchased this used X. Engine is also noisy, and there is some moderate wind noise. I had a 04 X and it seemed to have better quality interior than this new design. Capability: This is where the X shines, very powerful V6, excellent 4x4 capability and tows a 3000 pound boat with ease. Nissan clearly put an emphasis on the capability rather than the interior quality. With all that power comes a price, and it's paid when you fill up. With gas at $3.20+ per gallon, a fill up will cost you $60. That will move you about 350 miles, if you're lucky. Don't buy this car for the mpg! Bottom line: for the 4 to 5 months of snowy driving in the northeast, the X is ideal. You're much safer in this SUV than you are in a small AWD car, and I won't put a price on my family's safety. This is an excellent vehicle. I will buy a new one when this one hits 150K miles."

Reliable vehicle

By on Sunday, October 10, 2010

"This is a very dependable car and is wonderful in the snow. However, it is not very comfortable for long trips. The drivers seat is not very comfortable and it rides rough on the highway at times"

Fun and Reliable

By on Monday, August 02, 2010

"I bought my 2006 in 2008 and haven't had a a single problem with it. After having it for 2 years, I can only think of a few minor things I would change about the truck and they are quite petty in my opinion. 1) the driver side a/c vent air flow is blocked by the steering wheel (or maybe my height is the problem). 2) The rear seats cant be folded down flat without adjusting the incline of the front seats. Going back and fourth between all 4 doors to put the seats down is inconvenient. Other than that, the truck is super comfy, rides great, does really well off road, and looks sporty while being a functional SUV. It hauls my great dane and german shepherd wonderfully as well. I get about 17 mpg and I drive A LOT and typically over the speed limit so 17mpg seems acceptable to me. It cleans up easily and I never worry about having a mechanical malfunction, even at 90K miles. Go get one!"

Great Value,Little Comfort

By on Monday, June 07, 2010

"I have owned the O/R Xterra for going on 3 years now and have many great things and not soo great things about this SUV. Great powertrain for on and off road, during the east coast winter storms of 09 I tried to get stuck and never did. I have taken about 4 road trips of over 600 miles and I can tell you it can pack a lot a gear but after a couple hours the very non-supportive seats start to hurt the lower back. Great for gear hauling and fun for offroading but if you want some comfort look elsewhere."

Best off-road I've owned

By on Wednesday, October 07, 2009

"I have shipped it to Greece(early 20060), and used it there for serious off-roading. It takes me to places where roads and goats are non-existent and brings me back safely, in style and securely. It does make heads turn and not only because the Xterra is not produced in Europe; in Greece, aside from mine(a 2005 SE model)I only met another one(2003 model) and it was like a long lost-relative reunion. On the highway, I take it up to 110 mi/hr(yes!)and it feels as if I'm doing only(!)85 mi/hr. Great for long hauls, or about town[not the Greek towns where streets/roads are suitable only for small(er)cars],with or without the family! Go get yourselves one!!!You won't be disappointed...on the contrary. Ans as for maintenance:I have 29,000 miles on it and only oil changes,air filter and some windshield wipers have been changed; and the windshield, broken by falling rocks on a mountain. P.S. My daughter owns a 2002 SE and she is just as happy with hers as I am with mine."

Awesome bang for the buck!

By on Monday, August 31, 2009

"I love my 2009 Xterra Off- Road. It was between this and the FJ but the FJ had too many blind spots, low drivers seating, felt flimsy and less power than the Xterra. I took my 09 Xtera to Oregon last year and it plowed over some deep snowed on roads in Portland like nothing. I love the power, interior styling and simplicity of only what you need. The Fosgate sound system is great and the bang for the buck factor can't be beat. Fyi, it rides like a truck...because it is so don't expect a Cadillac ride if you expect to off road it. With that said, it has good road manners and crisp steering. It's great and I love it. Only complaint; where is the outside temp. gauge???"

in love with my Xterra

By on Tuesday, May 26, 2009

"The only problem I have with my Xterra is the dealerships. (All Nissan Dealerships around my area are VERY RUDE) My Xterra is awsome! I have taken off road severaly times, never hit anything on the bottom! It has enough power to move the suv, and very comfy on road trips. every six months my family (myself, husband and two boys four and five years old) ride in this car easliy for 400 miles. The only thing with that is when my boys get bigger there is only little back seat room...We bought ours NEW!"

Wonderful

By on Sunday, April 05, 2009

"Best vehicle I've ever owned...would have another one and will once I drive this until it can't go anymore!"

2006 Xterra 4X4 review

By on Sunday, March 29, 2009

"Great beast for off-road duties. I patiently waited to sell off my 1996 Isuzu Trooper 4wd for the Nissan. It was worth the wait. I couldn't afford a new one at $27+K. Now I've acquired an '06 for $13K out the door, with 46K miles on it and plenty to go. It has a simple yet durable interior that is suited to me just fine. The off-road package wasn't equipped on this one, so I purchased the skid plates and installed them myself (easy bolt-on job). I've lifted it 4" (3" suspension/1" body) to clear 33" BFG K/O Mud tires. Fantastic off-road ability and the 4" of increased track from the BFG's has provided a very stable ride. The aftermarket suspension/body lift really made all the difference off-road, along with those great BFG's. My next mods will be front and rear air lockers and rocker panel sliders. She's been a good beast to me, with apx. 16mpg. Heck, my '96 Trooper got 16mpg with a 190HP engine and similar off-road abilities, so I'm not disappointed at all with the mpg's. Now's the time to buy the Xterra, and save yourself $17K over new. No need to buy new unless money is no object."