2009 Nissan Xterra

Based on 422 Ratings for the 2005 - 2014 models.

Reviews Displayed:  5 | 10 | 25

I bought two!

By on Thursday, April 17, 2014

Pros: "Value in functionality you need and iconic styling"

Cons: "More MPG but not at expense of functionality"

"I bought a 2012 xTerra that I used for my hunting dogs and traveling cross country from MN to WA every other month or so. I have a love/hate relationship with the MPG. I wish for more MPG but at the same time I don't want the xTerra to lose it's iconic styling and functionality so I deal with it. I pretty much get around 18 MPG in ideal conditions cross country. Everything else I love so much that I just bought a 2014 model because I am afraid Nissan might stop making the xTerra. My wife also loves the xTerra so I said fine, I'll get my own. I also like the xTerra because i feel like I am paying for value in functionality I actually need rather than junk I don't need. Example: I don't want or need a car that parks for me, stops for me, checks my blind spot or any other goofy safety computer junk. I like to drive and don't need help. I don't even care about the navigation or other computer and audio stuff. I would rather buy aftermarket and install professional sound. At the same time the stock navigation and audio are very good in the xTerra as long as you can deal with a subwoofer under your seat. I had to change that. Now power, braking, handling, off road capability, and iconic styling? I'll pay for that. My 2012 has 70,000 miles and my 2014 has 5000. Neither has had any issues and am happy to have both of them. It gives us peace of mind that we can handle nearly any road or off road condition in MN and driving across country. Dogs are comfortable too in back with the seats folded down."

Best vehicle ever owned.

By on Tuesday, April 15, 2014

"Perfect for hauling dogs, dirt, and gear. Mileage (worst 16.5, best 24(!had to check twice!) on a road trip, flat across CO/NE/IA/MN, with a tailwind. Usually around 18.5 in mixed driving. Have the Pro-4X because of the options. Great truck. I'm a "25000 and trade it" guy, have 50,000 on this one and will be keeping it for a long time."

Cons: "Needs some work done at about 60k miles"

"This is our second Xterra, and we have been very happy with both of them. We take it over the mountain pass several times per year, and never hesitate to tackle the toughest weather conditions. It handles well off-road as well. The 4-wheel drive function works extremely well while driving. I would recommend the Xterra to anyone looking for a good SUV 4-wheel drive. It has plenty of room in back, and the seats also fold down. Only issue we have seen is that you have to have some work done at about 60k miles."

My favorite SUV of all I've owned

By on Wednesday, April 09, 2014

Pros: "Size, handling, feels very solid, looks"

Cons: "Only 18 mpg, key fob alarm too sensitive"

"Bought new in Dec 2009 and have put a lot of miles on it. Currently has 114,500 and I have yet to put brakes on it - which is unbelievable. Get regular maintenance done every 5,000 and I'm coming to the end of my second set of tires. Plan to get 200,000 on it before I trade it in for another one. I really like it."

My favorite SUV of all I've owned

By on Wednesday, April 09, 2014

Pros: "Size, handling, feels very solid, looks"

Cons: "Only 18 mpg, key fob alarm too sensitive"

Like this model body style.

By on Friday, April 04, 2014

Pros: "High enough to see ahead of the car in front."

Cons: "Driver seat uncomfortable long distance."

"The Xterra was exactly what I expected and wanted."

Good suv, great powerful engine, poor gas mileage

By on Sunday, March 23, 2014

Pros: "Power, styling, cofortable, roomy"

Cons: "poor mpg, cheaply made, bad brakes, common probems"

"Not the same Nissan since Renault bought them out. Very nice suv, but cheaply made, alot of common problems, fuel gauge sensor, blower motor resistor, terrible brakes, paint chips easily, rusts quickly. Would take a 95 pathfinder over this xterra anyday, pathfinder has way better 4wd. Rear lower door seals fall off poor design, antenna in bad location for cleaning snow off of windshield, rear bumper poor design, too close to tailgate, freezes up in winter. VDC not good for offroad."

Versitile, roomy, very reliable, poor gas mileage.

By on Thursday, March 06, 2014

Pros: "Reliability; Versatility; Comfort"

Cons: "MPG"

"Being 6'2" and a physical therapist I like that I can easily sit with good posture, comfortably in the xterra. Bought the car new over 5 years ago. The reliability and versatility are what stand out to me. I feel as though I have driven it pretty hard for 85k miles and have only had one strut fixed (under warranty), one set of new tires put on, and routine oil changes. In my mind, the truck still feels new. Carrying my road bike around in the back with the seats down was a plus and the truck has been very convenient for multiple road trips, even if the gas mileage isn't the best. Avg 18 miles combined, driving about 75/25 city/highway. Haven't really gotten over 20 highway. I have since bought a civic for business purposes but find it hard to sell this truck as I think it will be tough to find a more reliable vehicle out there."

Reviews Displayed:  5 | 10 | 25