2009 Nissan Xterra

Based on 438 Ratings for the 2005 - 2015 models.

Treasure

By on Wednesday, October 01, 2014

Pros: "only vehicle I have ever named-says it all."

Cons: "no lock on glove box"

"This is the vehicle that I will never sell. I went up from a 2003 to an 05. Engine delivers better. I searched for a manual tranny and found one two states away. It was worth the drive. I get 17-18 mpg city, 21-22 HWY. It is easy to switch in and out of 4WD (I'm in the mountains). I actually towed a friend's 4WD Tahoe out of a foot or two of wet snow with this vehicle, and did so easily. I am a little unhappy that the glove compartment does not have a lock. But that isn't much to complain about. I've owned this Xterra for over 2 years- only needing to do typical maintenance. Yep. I am very pleased with this SUV."

Great/ 2006 Xterra XTE 2WD, Tan/Gold, Reliable

By on Tuesday, September 30, 2014

Pros: "Great price, Fun to drive, Will be sad to sell"

Cons: "One cupholder in the back needs repair"

Tires basically brand new

"Xterra XTE 2006 2WD Very Good/ Excellent New Tires less than a year ago Most service records Recent oil change Never needs work/ Runs Great/ Always reliable Mileage 165,539 (all highway miles, owner #1 and #2 were both Sales Reps.) Since both owners were sales reps. all oil changes and services were always maintained promptly Sony Stereo Am/ FM/ CD/ Bluetooth/ Auxillary/ USB Port AC/ Heater/ EVERYTHING WORKS GREAT! Never been wrecked Extra heavy duty rubber mat for back 3 cigarette/ power Hydrolic Jack/ Work Light Xterra Net Safety Kit"

Tires basically brand new

My Next Vehicle Will Definitely Be Another Xterra

By on Friday, September 19, 2014

Pros: "Fun to drive, excellent pep, very reliable"

Cons: "bit of a gas guzzler"

"I have a 2006 Xterra S with some added features (tow package, side rails, cargo cover, cargo grocery organizer, and cross rails) and still love my Xterra like I did when I first brought her home. She's reliable! In her life, I've only ever had to standard maintanence. No reason to have had to take her in to "The Shop". I love this SUV! It's a huge blessing when you need to haul stuff! Fold the rear seats down, take out the cargo extras (if you have 'em) and you have more room than the bed of a small truck! This truck is rugged, yet sexy and sofistocated, and the interior is so quiet, you hear very little road noise, especially in comparison to other SUVs I've ridden in. (Kia, Saturn, & Dodge. As quiet as Chevy/GMC and Lexus!) While this year doesn't have the rear-seat air conditioning (not sure if the new ones do yet) but I've never had a complaint from the back seat about air flow. And Texas Summers can get crazy hot! Even though my sound system is the standard one, it's really pretty good for being a factory radio. I love how it thumps. Although, being an avid music lover, I would prefer a sound system upgrade. Did I mention she still captures my eye? I love how this SUV doesn't look like the others. It doesn't read soccer mom at all! The only issues I have is the front left tire pressure gauge quit working 3 years ago and she can be a bit of a gas guzzler, which can make long commutes more expensive. (53 miles round trip 5 days/wk) I made a vow that I would keep my Xterra for at least 10 years and she's well on her way to meeting and exceeding that goal! If for any reason I decided to buy a different vehicle, my next vehicle will still be the Nissan Xterra. Love it!!!!!"

Powerful When Needed

By on Sunday, August 24, 2014

Pros: "Competitive price, fun to drive, reliable"

Cons: "Seat comfort, excessive speed in 1 Low"

"The Xterra S series had the hauling capacity we needed to build a home, the power needed to get up mountains weekly for skiing and hiking, and the lower price we wanted to pay compared to similar SUVs. While building our home in another town, I was returning to our current home alone late on a winter night. I was almost to the top of a mountain pass at 10,000' or so and had to pull off to relieve myself. Because there was 3' of new snow I could not see the deep ditch I pulled into until it was too late. The Xterra was banked at quite an angle. I attempted to pull forward a few times but the off-road front tire could not jump the embankment. After a moment of panic and review of my options, I threw the Xterra into 4 Low, gunned it in reverse and spun the steering wheel so the back tires could jump the embankment. This was risky because if it didn't work my front tires would now be in the ditch. But it worked! Strangely enough the front and rear tires had enough power to push me out but not pull me out. Being a female by myself in this remote area under these conditions late at night was scary, buy my Xterra got me out of this bind for which I'll be forever grateful. There are lots of useful gadgets on the S model that help with hauling, tying down, getting in, reorganizing, etc. Highly recommend Yokihama Geolander ATS tires for this car for all season/all terrain use. Items I've noticed that need improvement: 1) The seats, as usual like in 99% of cars, are very uncomfortable on both seat and back. The only car seats I've ever thought were comfortable in both front and back seats were my 1998 Aurora and 2005 Cadillac. I don't understand why manufacturers cheat on the comfort of seats and backs considering they are used 100% of the time. We are now looking for replacement seats by another manufacturer to improve comfort after using seat cushions and lumbar inserts for eight years. 2) While the Xterra has great traction, control, and clearance, when descending steep grades and using 1 Low to reduce speed and use of brakes, the Xterra still wants to speed up to about 20mph-too fast on steep grades and curves. The engine should slow the car down to 12mph max so the driver can control the Xterra without brakes."

Fun to drive but few options available

By on Saturday, August 09, 2014

Pros: "Reliability, power, 4WD system, fun to drive."

Cons: "Few options, liftgate doesn't split"

"Pretty much a bare bones car. Has good power and excellent 4WD. But luxury options are few. No sunroof available for example. Very reliable though. Nissans are known to last. The fact that the liftgate doesn't split can be annoying. There are plenty of cubby holes for storage. 6 cup holders in all is very helpful. 2 glove boxes also comes in handy. Not the best mileage however."

Great get up and go power for all terrains!

By on Tuesday, August 05, 2014

Pros: "fun to drive, great handling on all terrains."

Cons: "More durable upholstery."

"Great handling SUV but not friendly at the gas pump when driving the hills and mountains of VA. It has a recall for radiator to transmission mixing r/i transmission failure. We had that problem fixed. Nissan needs to put more durable upholstery in this SUV as the seats wear too quickly. Overall a good car."

Dependable and Reliable

By on Sunday, August 03, 2014

Pros: "Large cargo space, durable, low maintenance"

Cons: "Gas mileage is not economical"

"I have had my Xterra for 3 years now and it is one of the most reliable and dependable vehicles I have ever owned. Suprisingly, this car will move fast on the highway if you have to punch it for boost speed. I have had one repair in 3 years which was the replacement of a fuel indicator switch. I have also put new tires on the vehicle. As one other person stated, it is like an old friend. There is a squeak here and there but nothing I would complain about. I have hauled enough rocks to hardscape a medium size back yard, enough lumber to build a sizable deck, towed other vehicles, pulled a 25' boat, etc. To say it is a workhorse is an understatement. It has been garage kept so the paint job looks new. Overall, I strongly recommend this vehicle if you are looking for an all purpose SUV. The biggest down side is fuel economy of which there is none. However, this vehicle has long been paid for so, for me, it is a small price to pay for the amount of value I have received from owning the vehicle during the past few years."

Powerful, Fun, and Capable Off-Road Vehicle

By on Tuesday, July 22, 2014

Reason: Gas mileage, high mileage

Pros: "Power, off-road capability, 6-speed manual"

Cons: "Gas mileage, rear seat access, cost to repair"

"I had a blast with this car for 4 years before selling it to get a newer vehicle. It's surprisingly fast, but you'll pay for it at the pump, and otherwise its a rough and rugged go-anywhere SUV that isn't quite like anything else. I sold it because I put a lot of miles on my vehicles, so I wanted something a little better on gas, plus it was just getting up there in mileage. It ran and looked great when I sold it with about 150k miles, and I (well, "we," including my fiance and friends) still miss it. I took it from GA to Manhattan to Denver, and lots of places in between. I've slept in it, crossed rivers, crawled over boulders, got up over 115 mph on the highway, and hauled groceries and mulch. The only time it didn't start for me was when I had a dead battery, and all we did was push it far enough to pop the clutch, and that got us to the auto parts store for a new one. I ended up putting a good bit into proactive repairs, but it probably could have gone without some of it. I'm an engineer, and like my vehicles running smoothly. Two expensive maintenance costs to look out for: 1. Clutch (manuals only). The factory one is undersized, and will often go out before 100k miles. Dealers want around $2k to replace it due to the excessive labor required. Highly recommend replacing factory clutch with a Jim Wolf Technologies part, which should be a wash in cost. 2. Raditator/Tranny Leak (automatics only): Major issue with certain models/years. Wasn't a problem for me, but could cost you thousands if you have an automatic."

THE MOST AMAZING CAR ON THE PLANET EARTH!!!!!!!!!!

By on Saturday, May 17, 2014

Pros: "Everything. Plain and simple"

Cons: "NOTHING at All."

"This car has been through it all, and it still runs like the day I got it. :) This is not just a car, it is my best friend. I'm not gonna sell this work of art any time soon. I'm s grateful for this amazing car, and I highly recommend it for anyone who is interested!!!!! Trust me, it will be worth it."

Great little SUV

By on Thursday, May 15, 2014

"This is by far the best vehicle I have ever driven on snow/ice covered roads. The Xterra is a beast on mountain passes in any weather!"