2009 Nissan Xterra

Based on 463 Ratings for the 2005 - 2015 models.

Competent at many roles.

By on Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Pros: "Capable off road, looks good, powerful."

Cons: "Could be better equipped. More MPG's!"

My 2010 Xterra in the Monongahela National Forest

"The Xterra isn't the fanciest, most comfortable, or most well equipped SUV, but what it does, it does well. I've had mine in a great many different off-road situations, including once when I pushed foot-deep mud with my front bumper. The Xterra never even blinked. I was skeptical about "brake locking" (aka, traction control) for off-roading, but it works surprisingly well. When a wheel spins, that wheel is braked and the power goes to the wheels that have traction. Doesn't have a lot of bells and whistles, but has the basics to be comfortable in everyday driving. I've pressed mine into service as a vacation hauler and it makes a decent station wagon, with enough room for my 5' 11" son in the back and lots of luggage. Reliability has been good so far. No problems. Great power and handling for a big vehicle. Gas mileage is only so-so (personally haven't gotten more than 20 mpg). Interior space could be better. Upholstery is cheap looking and stains easily. I added seat covers and now don't have to worry so much. Mine developed a squeak somewhere deep in the dash that can occasionally be annoying. The cruise sometimes can't make up its mind at lower speeds, dropping several miles per hour below where I set it, then "waking up" and rushing forward so quickly that soon you're going faster than you want to. On the freeways, though, it's fine. Lots of hauling room with the seats down. Sturdy roof rack with rooftop storage compartment, which is nice for carrying messy stuff outside your vehicle. And of course, the thing looks like it is ready for action. If I had it to do again, I'd buy it in a heartbeat. I heard the Xterra is going out of production in the next couple years. I hope that's not true...I'd like to have another one."

My 2010 Xterra in the Monongahela National Forest

Great 4x4 SUV

By on Thursday, November 10, 2011

Pros: "Great interior, cool styling, great 4x4 capability"

Cons: "Fuel milage"

"The xTerra is a fantastic off road SUV. It is however not to be confused with the newer car based unibody SUV's that everybody drives around the city. The Xterra does have a firmer ride due to it's off road suspension and body on frame truck design. The interior is fantastic. It's made mostly of easy to clean hard plastic that can't rip or tear. It has more compartments then you'll know what to do with as well. My only gripe is that the plastic does scratch easily so be careful if you tend to throw your keys around. As for off road capability it is one of the best at it's price. The locking rear diff and traditional 4x4 transfer case make it a dream on the trail or in the snow and mud. The 4.0 engine delivers tons of power sometimes you forget your driving a 4000lb truck. It is however a thirsty vehicle. I drive mostly highway miles everyday and it sucks about a 20mpg at the very best. I would recommend the Xterra to anyone who lives an outdoors lifestyle or likes weekend trips out in the bush but if all you want is a big vehicle to hop around the city in there are definitely some more appropriate and fuel efficient choices out there."

Great SUV

By on Friday, March 29, 2013

Pros: "very reliable and tough"

Cons: "gas mileage"

"Almost 200,000 miles on my 2001 Xterra and I've never had a problem."

Great car

By on Saturday, October 20, 2012

"Fun to drive great to park.. strong engine.. no problem geting on the highway. rides high you can see everything. Seats aren't the most comfy... ride is bumpy.. and I have the most irritating squeak in the back."

Good value

By on Monday, June 25, 2012

Pros: "good overall value"

Cons: "a few more repairs than my 4-Runner"

"I bought my 2005 used with 32K on it, since then I've racked up over 100K more. I really like the horsepower but the trade-off is lower gas mileage. It does well off-road and in snow. I have a kayak and enjoy the body design and roof rack, well thought out and functional. Compared to my previous car, a Toyota 4-Runner I have had a few more mechanical problems and spend more on repairs but I also paid a few thousand less than a comparable 4-Runner so guess you get what you pay for. Good overall vehicle for every day life and offers some respectable off-road capabilities."

It just needs some minor tweeks.

By on Wednesday, April 04, 2012

Pros: "Outside storage on top, visibility, versatility"

Cons: "Gas mileage, rear passenger entry/exit"

"I bought this truck used at 65000 miles and now have 117000 miles. I have had NO problems out of it and the brakes are the only thing that I have replaced. It drives the same as it did the day I bought it. It is an awfully thirsty vehicle to be so small, though. I'm always driving, but the main complaint my friends have is getting in and out of the back seat... there is no room; even for short people. Once they get in it's fine, though. The compartments and storage areas are convenient and well-placed. I can't wait for my next XTerra!"

Five major problems with this car.

By on Monday, December 19, 2011

Pros: "Nice looking ride"

Cons: "Mechanically junk. This will be my only Nissan."

"CV (failed within warranty) Timing chain tensioner - both (61000 miles) Fuel sending unit (64000 miles) Blower motor (70000 miles) Oil pressure sensor (74000 miles) I installed an after market tranny cooler to avoid the common failure of the antifreeze leaking into the tranny fluid."

Unique and Capable

By on Monday, November 07, 2011

Pros: "Rugged, reliable, comfortable, great value."

Cons: "N/A with factory navigation."

"2005 Xterra Off-Road. The Xterra offers the best of both worlds. Nearly unstoppable off road, and comfortable and well behaved on the highway. If you want to follow the road less traveled, the Xterra will get you there and back. The part-time 4 wheel drive system is easy to operate and very capable in dirt, mud, and snow. The Xterra also stands out from the herd with unique body accents, the stepped roof line, and the iconic (and very functional) roof rack. With nearly 100k miles on it, the engine and drive train still run like new (even though many of those miles were on rough back-country trails and fresh deep snow). Bring it home, wash it down, and it's very comfortable for a 65 mile daily commute. Mileage is typical for an off-road ready SUV, 20-21 MPG in mixed daily driving. If you want a REAL SUV that isn't afraid to get dirty, this is one you definitely need to consider."

05 Xterra

By on Friday, April 23, 2010

"I bought the 2005 2wd Xterra new and have regularly maintained it. The X definitely has power. I have never had problems passing. I like the interior and exterior from a functional standpoint. I keep the back seats down for cargo space, so no riders in the back seat. I get between 20 - 22 mpg, which I am okay with for an SUV. I have had mechanical problems. The fuel level sensor module has been out a couple years. It's $400 for the dealer to repair / replace, so I just keep track of mileage. The cam shaft sensor has gone out, and I have had it replaced. The serpentine belt (or the tensioner) has squealed pretty much from 1 yr old on starting. Now the dealer says my timing chain/tensioner needs replaced. Nissan has issued a technical service bulletin (TSB) NTB09-128 for the timing chain (Nissasn also issued a TSB for the fuel level sensor module). A TSB means the dealers should be looking for the problem, but Nissan has no intention of fixing the problem for free of charge. My wife owned a Nissan 240 that basically fell apart at 100K miles (was going to cost more to fix that was worth), my best friend owned an Xterra that basically fell apart at 110K miles (SPENT more to fix than was worth, then sold after more problems), my Xterra has 100k miles. I will be trading it off soon!!! Great vehicle if you intend to get rid of before 100K miles. The big question is: should your vehicle require major maintenance before 100K miles? If your answer is "yes" then you will have no problems with an X. If your answer is "no", then you should research other vehicles before purchasing."

great SUV

By on Monday, December 30, 2013

"bought my 2007 off-road pkg. xterra new, 112.000 miles later and still going strong. My wife absoulutely loves it. Went and bought another one, PRO-X, this weekend, went back & fourth with gettel nissan for 4 weeks, final price paid, 28.500 out the door. X-CELLENT vehicle !!!! keep it up nissan"