2008 Nissan Xterra

Based on 456 Ratings for the 2005 - 2015 models.

Competent at many roles.

By on Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Pros: "Capable off road, looks good, powerful."

Cons: "Could be better equipped. More MPG's!"

My 2010 Xterra in the Monongahela National Forest

"The Xterra isn't the fanciest, most comfortable, or most well equipped SUV, but what it does, it does well. I've had mine in a great many different off-road situations, including once when I pushed foot-deep mud with my front bumper. The Xterra never even blinked. I was skeptical about "brake locking" (aka, traction control) for off-roading, but it works surprisingly well. When a wheel spins, that wheel is braked and the power goes to the wheels that have traction. Doesn't have a lot of bells and whistles, but has the basics to be comfortable in everyday driving. I've pressed mine into service as a vacation hauler and it makes a decent station wagon, with enough room for my 5' 11" son in the back and lots of luggage. Reliability has been good so far. No problems. Great power and handling for a big vehicle. Gas mileage is only so-so (personally haven't gotten more than 20 mpg). Interior space could be better. Upholstery is cheap looking and stains easily. I added seat covers and now don't have to worry so much. Mine developed a squeak somewhere deep in the dash that can occasionally be annoying. The cruise sometimes can't make up its mind at lower speeds, dropping several miles per hour below where I set it, then "waking up" and rushing forward so quickly that soon you're going faster than you want to. On the freeways, though, it's fine. Lots of hauling room with the seats down. Sturdy roof rack with rooftop storage compartment, which is nice for carrying messy stuff outside your vehicle. And of course, the thing looks like it is ready for action. If I had it to do again, I'd buy it in a heartbeat. I heard the Xterra is going out of production in the next couple years. I hope that's not true...I'd like to have another one."

My 2010 Xterra in the Monongahela National Forest

perfect for active living with kids, dog, gear!

By on Sunday, February 23, 2014

Pros: "powerful, compact, simple, practical, super fun!"

Cons: "stiff ride, no extra space inside (not roomy)"

"Just upgraded my older Xterra (2002) to a 2014 Pro-4x. I can't think of anything that is missing in this model! The upgrades are perfect down to the last detail. The engine is much more powerful and is super spunky on the HWY. I love the heated leather seats and the plastic vs carpet in the back storage area. The matts in the back seat area cover the middle hump which keeps the carpet from wearing. This vehicle will be easy to keep clean! It has every 'techy' convenience but doesn't look busy and cluttered. The back seats fold down perfectly flat so we can sleep in the vehicle on road trips if needed. There are more storage compartments in this model for 'stuff' and they are really well designed. The vehicle is wider and feels much roomier. The driver and passenger seats also have more leg room. I have always loved the Xterra for it's rugged design and sporty look. We live out in a rural area and deal with lots of snow and crazy road conditions. I've never had a problem. I also drive logging roads a fair bit in the pursuit of adventure...This vehicle handles well and can literally go places that no other vehicle can. It's pretty amazing! I would have liked to get the built in DVD players for the back seats...that's still to come :) It is for sure a 'stiffer' ride than many of the SUV/crossover vehicles that offer a smoother highway drive but you quickly get used to the feel of it and it's worth it when you look at the trade offs. It's truly the best vehicle for family adventuring in alap seasons with kids, the dog and lots of gear!"

It does what it is meant to do very well!

By on Monday, February 17, 2014

Pros: "Great Offroad and easy to clean, Nice unique look"

Cons: "Bad Fuel Economy"

"I've had my Xterra for two years now. So far the only issues I've had have been a window regulator and I needed a new 4wheel drive switch. All covered under warranty The vehicle is what it is. It is a utilitarian off-roader. It does great off road and in the snow(with proper tires). The inside is basic and easy to clean. The leather seat are comfortable enough. The Rockford fosgate stereo sounds great. Overall the gas milage has ranged from high 15 to low 17 average although I did get a average of 20 on a long drive out of Vermont. I hope this helps. If you have looking for an Off road SUV in the price range there is nothing better."

Awesome vehicle, a lot of vehicle for the price

By on Thursday, January 23, 2014

Pros: "price, versatility"

Cons: "gas mileage, not much for ammenities"

"I bought a 2010 Xterra slightly used in 2010 with only 7500 miles on it. I have driven it everyday since, on many road trips, highway miles, back roads, even some slight offroad trips. This thing is dependable, great power, great handling. Feels great at 80 mph on the highway, or at 5 mph on the trail. Holds its value well as well. I would recommend this vehicle to anyone."

Reliable and practical; mileage could be better

By on Wednesday, December 11, 2013

Pros: "Tough, trouble free and does it all"

Cons: "By today's standards gass mileage is low (16-21)"

"My Xterra 4x4 has been one of the best vehicles I've ever owned. For reliability and do-anything capability I doubt it can be beat. I've done serious off-roading with it in Moab (with a 2" lift and off-road tires) and towed trailers (max weight about 4K lbs) for hundreds of miles. It's always done the job with power and comfort to spare. Never had a repair other than the radiator fan clutch went out at about 95K (replaced it with electric and get about 1/2 mpg better). With 104K I'm selling it while it's still worth a bit since I drive so little now and don't need off-road capability. It still looks and drives like new."

Great 4x4 SUV

By on Thursday, November 10, 2011

Pros: "Great interior, cool styling, great 4x4 capability"

Cons: "Fuel milage"

"The xTerra is a fantastic off road SUV. It is however not to be confused with the newer car based unibody SUV's that everybody drives around the city. The Xterra does have a firmer ride due to it's off road suspension and body on frame truck design. The interior is fantastic. It's made mostly of easy to clean hard plastic that can't rip or tear. It has more compartments then you'll know what to do with as well. My only gripe is that the plastic does scratch easily so be careful if you tend to throw your keys around. As for off road capability it is one of the best at it's price. The locking rear diff and traditional 4x4 transfer case make it a dream on the trail or in the snow and mud. The 4.0 engine delivers tons of power sometimes you forget your driving a 4000lb truck. It is however a thirsty vehicle. I drive mostly highway miles everyday and it sucks about a 20mpg at the very best. I would recommend the Xterra to anyone who lives an outdoors lifestyle or likes weekend trips out in the bush but if all you want is a big vehicle to hop around the city in there are definitely some more appropriate and fuel efficient choices out there."

Perfect Vehicle for me!

By on Monday, October 17, 2011

Pros: "Great for off-roading and small - medium towing"

Cons: "Semi cheap plastics inside"

"This is the perfect vehicle for me. If you're looking for a really comfortable ride, look for a crossover. However if you go off road or do a little towing, the Xterra is perfect. Great power and handles surprisingly well for a truck based SUV. I recently pulled a 4,000 lb vehicle across the country and the Xterra tackled it without a problem. During the tow I averaged about 15 mpg, but under normal driving I get 19-20."

Won't buy another

By on Wednesday, November 20, 2013

Pros: "Versatile car"

Cons: "Poor gas mileage , Faulty parts, no Nissan support"

"Original owner of a 2006. I bought this as my first Nissan based on a recommendation of a family member who use to own a Sentra. I really like the SUV, style, truck frame, all the different uses I get out of it and it's my only vehicle. My biggest issue is the fact the engine light is on more than off in the lifetime of the vehicle. Right after the warranty expired the fuel sensor went out and Nissan wouldn't help me replace it. Ok, warranty I get it. But then I saw lots of other Xterras with the same problem. After I spent $500 to fix that the engine light came back on and all 4 catalytic converters went out at 82,000 miles. I can't smog my car in California with out replacing and the quotes I got are around $4000 for all 4. That's a California thing since they are very expensive in this state. Then the transmission started acting funny and about that time I got a class action notice in the mail about some replacement money to help, but you can't have more than 100,000 miles and again I was just past that at 102,000. So I spent $800 fixing the leaky radiator which cause the damage to the transmission. After arguing with Nissan telling them they have put faulty parts in the Xterras and won't help out money wise with the bad parts I give up and will never buy a Nissan again. It's too bad because I really like the vehicle just not worth putting lots of extra money into fixing it all the time. My old Toyota went 300,000 with very little repairs and expense. Humm. Maybe my next one again. I don't feel Nissan backs up their cars in a reasonable mount of time to support car failures! Great car if you just want to park it most of the time."

Great SUV

By on Friday, March 29, 2013

Pros: "very reliable and tough"

Cons: "gas mileage"

"Almost 200,000 miles on my 2001 Xterra and I've never had a problem."

Great car

By on Saturday, October 20, 2012

"Fun to drive great to park.. strong engine.. no problem geting on the highway. rides high you can see everything. Seats aren't the most comfy... ride is bumpy.. and I have the most irritating squeak in the back."