2008 Nissan Xterra

Based on 449 Ratings for the 2005 - 2015 models.

Utility. Tons of utility. Great value/durability.

By on Monday, March 30, 2015

Pros: "Utility, Customization, Size, 4x4"

Cons: "MPG"

"After 8 years, I've had normal maintenance and only a few minor repairs. The Nissan Xterra is a great vehicle. PROS: -So much utility. The inside is easy to wipe down. Fold down the bench and haul almost anything. Inside cargo area plus the top rack are great for wet things, tools, tow rope, etc. -Customization. I added fog lights, hitch, cargo rack, and inside netting. -Size. It's not too big but not compact. It's a great size for a family of four or a single guy and his buddies + gear. -4x4. The 4WD has performed excellent in Indiana winters. It pulls through the snow. -Sits high. Easy to see forwards and outside all side windows. It's minor but an advantage over several other SUVs. CONS: -Trunk Shocks. They'll fail eventually in the cold. Replace them with a higher rating or be prepared to hold the trunk open with your head. -Rear side doors have a narrow opening. It's sometimes a problem with kids and often a problem with adults. -MPG. What started as 20-21 highway turned into 18. Average is 16.5 total."

Best SUV I ever owned,

By on Friday, March 27, 2015

Pros: "Just a great suv."

Cons: "Sorry it was discontinued."

"As long as you take care of any car, 99% of the time it will take care of you. Nissan's included."

Perfect 4x4 for my needs

By on Tuesday, February 24, 2015

Pros: "Good off-road capability, smooth drive on pavement"

Cons: "MPG could be a tad better, 4WD High might hang"

"Back in 2010, I decided it was time to purchase a 4x4 to do some moderate (not hard core) off-roading here in Colorado. After some research, I decided a used Xterra was the vehicle I wanted because it looked like a vehicle capable of handing off-road terrain while also providing a decent ride on paved surfaces. I went shopping and liked it so much I ended up buying a new 2010 Off-Road version. After about five years of owning this vehicle, I absolutely love the thing! We've been up just about every "moderate" trail in the state as well as several "hard" trails, shying away only from those trails where vehicle damage would be pretty certain. The locking differential has been invaluable on steep two/three wheel crawls. Even after owning it all this time, I am still impressed by how comfortable it is to drive for hours on paved roads, then go off road and beat the thing up over tens of thousands of rocks, and then jump back on a highway and have it drive just as smooth as ever. I've used it to tow several trailers carrying loads of 2,000 to 4,000 lbs (moving daughter twice and mother once), hauled a ton of rocks, taken trips to the East and West coasts and Canada, and am planning a trip up to Alaska to check out the wilderness there. I have had zero issues to date (knock on wood), and it remains a pleasure to drive. Yes it's a truck, but with the wheel and tire size on the Off-Road, there's a nice amount of air cushion and it's very comfortable. We recently made a 1,900 mile round trip to Arizona and came back though one of the largest snow storms we've seen in the past decade, and it handled the trip nicely as always. I've had only one minor annoyance... that being that it sometimes takes a little longer to come back out of 4-wheel drive (high) than I'd prefer. Winter driving often means ice or snow-covered roads, then maybe a well-cleared road, and I like to get out of 4-wheel drive whenever it's not needed. Sometimes it doesn't want to pop back into 2-wheel drive right away. It's not a big deal, but I will likely look into addressing this annoyance when the weather gets warm again. Bottom line: I believe there is no better vehicle to give you both off-road capability and a smooth on-road drive. I find myself driving it even when taking the car would net better gas mileage because it just feels good to drive it!"

Best vehicle I have ever owned

By on Sunday, February 22, 2015

Pros: "great price, fun to drive"

"This is a great midsize suv that is fun to drive. It has plenty of power. The S model has everything you need with a great sound system. The X model does not have all the extras but is still a great vehicle if you do not want the extras. This is the first vehicle that I have ever gotten in and just loved right away. I find myself finding excuses to drive it!"

Great car overall. Relatively trouble free.

By on Saturday, February 07, 2015

Pros: "Great value, versatile, fairly reliable, durable."

Cons: "Stock rear suspension btms out on hvy bumps."

"Off Road 2WD model. Bought with 70K miles. Replaced radiator when first bought to prevent potential leakage of coolant into transmission. Now have 180K miles. Replaced U-joints at 150K +/-. Always had problem with rear suspension bottoming out. Installed single add-a-leafs recently with xlnt results. Engine and transmission still run perfectly. Good power. 17 mpg city/ 20-21 hwy. Drives like a truck, but smooth on good pavement. Rockford Fosgate stereo has face melting volume; good for rock music, but not really "hi-fi"; backlit display no longer works, otherwise fine. Very versatile, fun vehicle. Get one if in good condition."