2007 Nissan Xterra

Based on 460 Ratings for the 2005 - 2015 models.

Five major problems with this car.

By on Monday, December 19, 2011

Pros: "Nice looking ride"

Cons: "Mechanically junk. This will be my only Nissan."

"CV (failed within warranty) Timing chain tensioner - both (61000 miles) Fuel sending unit (64000 miles) Blower motor (70000 miles) Oil pressure sensor (74000 miles) I installed an after market tranny cooler to avoid the common failure of the antifreeze leaking into the tranny fluid."

Unique and Capable

By on Monday, November 07, 2011

Pros: "Rugged, reliable, comfortable, great value."

Cons: "N/A with factory navigation."

"2005 Xterra Off-Road. The Xterra offers the best of both worlds. Nearly unstoppable off road, and comfortable and well behaved on the highway. If you want to follow the road less traveled, the Xterra will get you there and back. The part-time 4 wheel drive system is easy to operate and very capable in dirt, mud, and snow. The Xterra also stands out from the herd with unique body accents, the stepped roof line, and the iconic (and very functional) roof rack. With nearly 100k miles on it, the engine and drive train still run like new (even though many of those miles were on rough back-country trails and fresh deep snow). Bring it home, wash it down, and it's very comfortable for a 65 mile daily commute. Mileage is typical for an off-road ready SUV, 20-21 MPG in mixed daily driving. If you want a REAL SUV that isn't afraid to get dirty, this is one you definitely need to consider."

05 Xterra

By on Friday, April 23, 2010

"I bought the 2005 2wd Xterra new and have regularly maintained it. The X definitely has power. I have never had problems passing. I like the interior and exterior from a functional standpoint. I keep the back seats down for cargo space, so no riders in the back seat. I get between 20 - 22 mpg, which I am okay with for an SUV. I have had mechanical problems. The fuel level sensor module has been out a couple years. It's $400 for the dealer to repair / replace, so I just keep track of mileage. The cam shaft sensor has gone out, and I have had it replaced. The serpentine belt (or the tensioner) has squealed pretty much from 1 yr old on starting. Now the dealer says my timing chain/tensioner needs replaced. Nissan has issued a technical service bulletin (TSB) NTB09-128 for the timing chain (Nissasn also issued a TSB for the fuel level sensor module). A TSB means the dealers should be looking for the problem, but Nissan has no intention of fixing the problem for free of charge. My wife owned a Nissan 240 that basically fell apart at 100K miles (was going to cost more to fix that was worth), my best friend owned an Xterra that basically fell apart at 110K miles (SPENT more to fix than was worth, then sold after more problems), my Xterra has 100k miles. I will be trading it off soon!!! Great vehicle if you intend to get rid of before 100K miles. The big question is: should your vehicle require major maintenance before 100K miles? If your answer is "yes" then you will have no problems with an X. If your answer is "no", then you should research other vehicles before purchasing."

Love the Xterra

By on Thursday, May 21, 2015

Pros: "Rugged yet Refined"

Cons: "???"

"After one year of ownership, the Xterra has performed great, especially during the 2014 - 2015 Winter. I could not be happier with the purchase. As a manual only driver, I am thrilled to find the PRO 4X version has many bells/whistles not available with any other "sticks". This manual even has PEP! I deliberated too long between this and a slightly smaller/ more "refined" manual transmission and can say I'm glad I chose the real SUV. As a coach, and sportsman the Xterra has more than ample room for all my gear. I've always loved the design and only wished I had purchased an Xterra sooner."

great SUV

By on Monday, December 30, 2013

"bought my 2007 off-road pkg. xterra new, 112.000 miles later and still going strong. My wife absoulutely loves it. Went and bought another one, PRO-X, this weekend, went back & fourth with gettel nissan for 4 weeks, final price paid, 28.500 out the door. X-CELLENT vehicle !!!! keep it up nissan"