2005 Nissan Xterra

Based on 431 Ratings for the 2005 - 2014 models.

Sturdy, inexpensive SUV that may need some upkeep.

By on Friday, May 02, 2014

Pros: "Sturdy, drives like a truck."

Cons: "Bumpy, expensive repairs inevitable"

"There's no frills when it comes to an Xterra. It's a sturdy, fairly reliable SUV that can get you where you need to go. Throw your EPA mileage out the window. I average 15-16 driving conservatively. Pre-2008 autos have a serious problem with the trans cooler that can blow your transmission, and Nissan only warranties it to 70k, leaving repair costs to the vehicle owner."

awesome fun to drive

By on Sunday, April 27, 2014

Pros: "Great Price- great looks- fun to drive"

"Second xterra that I have owned! Love the size and the way it handles. Very dependable and just what I needed. Controls are basic but I did not want a BMW that is why I went back to my 4WD Xterra. If you want a dependable suv with good looks and all the power you need. I highly recommend !!"

Great OffRoad Vehicle Plus Daily Driver-05 6spS4x4

By on Friday, April 25, 2014

Pros: "Affordable, Great Off-Road Capabilities."

Cons: "Gas Mileage, Back seat space room"

"Please know, this SUV/Truck is very basic. One review I read said, "everything you need, nothing you don't." This is very true. Simple in necessities which is great for me. I don't need anything fancy. Great hauling ability and great trunk and over head space. I have had this 2005 Nissan Xterra S, 6SPD, 4x4 for a year now. I bought it with 103k in miles. I now have 114k in miles. We had a rough winter and this vehicle helped move me and my family around with no issues. The 4WD really helps get through some tough thick snow with ZERO problem. Having this vehicle in 6spd stick is great because you can move in and out of problem situations and is actually pretty peppy for a V6 265hp vehicle. This Xterra will move when you want it too. I did have to replace the rotors/brake pads but this is normal. I didn't have the service records but since then everything has been great. I also replaced tires with what was recommended, BF Goodrich Radials T/A. Ride is smooth and clean. I did get cloth seats which on long road trips are not very comfortable, I would suggest a seat cushion. Other than that, the X-Terra has exceeded my expectations. I believe this can go to 240k in miles. You just must keep up the regular preventative maintenance and it should be fine. One Con that I wish I could change, for the size of this vehicle, the backseat space could be larger. I would allow for a little less trunk space for more backseat legroom. Maybe similar to the pathfinder in space size."

Built solid

By on Thursday, April 24, 2014

Pros: "Tough"

Cons: "Steering wheel controls and fuel mileage"

"Love this truck. Handles week, feels tight, excellent sound system, safe and reliable."

I bought two!

By on Thursday, April 17, 2014

Pros: "Value in functionality you need and iconic styling"

Cons: "More MPG but not at expense of functionality"

"I bought a 2012 xTerra that I used for my hunting dogs and traveling cross country from MN to WA every other month or so. I have a love/hate relationship with the MPG. I wish for more MPG but at the same time I don't want the xTerra to lose it's iconic styling and functionality so I deal with it. I pretty much get around 18 MPG in ideal conditions cross country. Everything else I love so much that I just bought a 2014 model because I am afraid Nissan might stop making the xTerra. My wife also loves the xTerra so I said fine, I'll get my own. I also like the xTerra because i feel like I am paying for value in functionality I actually need rather than junk I don't need. Example: I don't want or need a car that parks for me, stops for me, checks my blind spot or any other goofy safety computer junk. I like to drive and don't need help. I don't even care about the navigation or other computer and audio stuff. I would rather buy aftermarket and install professional sound. At the same time the stock navigation and audio are very good in the xTerra as long as you can deal with a subwoofer under your seat. I had to change that. Now power, braking, handling, off road capability, and iconic styling? I'll pay for that. My 2012 has 70,000 miles and my 2014 has 5000. Neither has had any issues and am happy to have both of them. It gives us peace of mind that we can handle nearly any road or off road condition in MN and driving across country. Dogs are comfortable too in back with the seats folded down."

See if you qualify for