2005 Nissan Xterra

Based on 422 Ratings for the 2005 - 2014 models.

Reviews Displayed:  5 | 10 | 25

Little Red Wagon that Could

By on Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Pros: "Reliability, Great Winter Car, Versatility"

Cons: "Road noise, Gas mileage"

"I have the 2002 S automatic with 4x4. I've loved the reliability of this vehicle! I did the basic maintenance (oil, etc) and put two sets of tires on it while I owned. The only problems I had were: the temperature adjuster/resister which went out twice (there was a recall on this) and the fuel pump once (I had a local guy fix it and he botched the job somehow and the vehicle was running out of gas at a quarter of a tank. So from then on it was the dealer for fixing after that). It survived the Wyoming Rockies and the Wisconsin winters with ease. I did one haul on unplowed roads from WI rapids to Tomah in at least 6 inches of snow without ending in the ditch or getting stuck! I also picked up a guy on the way to work one winter when his sedan was stuck in the snow. Done some hauling of our motorcycles and lots of yardwork mulch hauling over the years without trouble. You can't beat the driver's view (I changed from a toyota corolla which is low to the ground). I also like the tough look exterior which seems lost on the newer SUVs/cross overs. On the con side... It does get a bit loud out on the highway and does get pushed by the wind. I would imagine any high profile vehicle would be pushed by the wind. The only reason I'm thinking of getting a smaller SUV is that I'm commuting a bit further now and would like a little better gas mileage but any AWD or 4x4 vehicle will suck down a lot of gas but I don't want to be stuck in subzero weather in a Wisconsin winter either."

Sport and Utility Indeed!

By on Friday, June 15, 2012

Pros: "Worry-free dependability, cargo/seating space, 4x4"

Cons: "Gas mileage, faulty gas gauge"

"Purchased my 2006 Xterra S used (formerly a rental) in 2008. Looked past the poor gas mileage because of its ability to facilitate my hobbies. I've played in bands for a while, and this vehicle has not only fit my drums, but also large amps, guitars, a bass, a guitarist and a bassist, all at once. The folding seats lay flat unlike some other vehicles and the remaining rear seat has a nice bucket-seat feel. I used to be fortunate enough to live near Lake Tahoe. I took countless trips up the mountain to get in some much needed skiing. Again, the cargo/seating space and attached ski rack (Yakima) allowed for five people, four snowboards, one set of skis, all the gear, and a 12-pack to boot! Also, 4x4 capabilities allowed me safe travels on icy and snowy roads. On one of my more adventurous descents, I actually paced a snowplow during a whiteout. Now I have a 2-year old and there is ample room for the car seat, groceries, toys, books, etc. The seats are very easy to clean and the cargo area provides a nice space for a makeshift changing table. My family moved across country and I was able to fit my entire life into my Xterra (granted, we moved to a furnished apartment.) After four years, I don't know if I can bring myself to part with this wonderful vehicle. I imagine I'll drive it as far as it will take me."

We got a steal!

By on Monday, May 14, 2012

Pros: "comfort, style, cargo, and flexiblity to lifestyle"

Cons: "Sound system, no power mirrors on "X". I have "S""

"Value is a higher rating then most since we got well under the invoice price on the Xterra S model. Nissan has always been a reliable brand for the last three vehicle my family has owned. The qulaity of the vehicle exceeds my standards. I do not want a fancy SUV, I want one I can get dirty on the weekend and be nice during the week. Driving dynamics, great pick up and handling, the highway driving is impressive, you can hear everyone speak inside the car while on the highway. Interior, the sounds system could be better, but no problem here since my last sound system was really bad. Exterior, the compartment on the roof is nice and so is the space under the trunk. It is very comforable, I could take it on a long road trip and hitting bumps in the road are barely felt. IT IS A GREAT NEW VECHICLE!"

Best vehicle I have owned to date

By on Sunday, May 06, 2012

"Fun truck to drive. Needs styling update."

Good all around truck

By on Sunday, April 29, 2012

Pros: "Good 4wd performance, good looking, few probs!"

Cons: "No rear air, lackluster acceleration, basic int."

"Its a good truck for the money. The interior is fairly plain but I didn't expect much more. I got the X trim which is very basic, although power windows and power locks are standard. It is a really tough truck. The power was a little dissapointing but I've installed a cold air intake that seemed to really help a lot. The gas mileage is surprisingly good, I have gotten up to 23 miles/gallon on long highway trips. My clutch went out at 45k miles but this may have been partially due to teaching my girlfriend to drive a stick (warranty did not cover). I had a window motor go out at 55k and warranty covered that. Other than that it has surprised me numerous times on its overall toughness and off-road capability. I put a 2 inch lift on the front with 33'' tires. It looks sharp and I get a lot of compliments."

Love my Xterra

By on Friday, April 13, 2012

"I have had my Xterra for 8 months! love the ride, the mileage is not bad at all!! Look what you are driving. If you need to get out of the way on the highway, plenty of horsepower! I love feeling safe.. will not trade!!!!"

Best outdoor machine made

By on Wednesday, April 04, 2012

Pros: "Best outdoor machine made"

Cons: "OPEC pleasing fuel economy"

It just needs some minor tweeks.

By on Wednesday, April 04, 2012

Pros: "Outside storage on top, visibility, versatility"

Cons: "Gas mileage, rear passenger entry/exit"

"I bought this truck used at 65000 miles and now have 117000 miles. I have had NO problems out of it and the brakes are the only thing that I have replaced. It drives the same as it did the day I bought it. It is an awfully thirsty vehicle to be so small, though. I'm always driving, but the main complaint my friends have is getting in and out of the back seat... there is no room; even for short people. Once they get in it's fine, though. The compartments and storage areas are convenient and well-placed. I can't wait for my next XTerra!"

great truck

By on Monday, April 02, 2012

Pros: "fun to drive,great gas milage,and very versatle"

Cons: "wish i got higher tirm pkg,"

"i have owned nissans for last 12 years,the all have been great vehicles,this is my 2nd xterra,the first being a 2001,great on gas,no problems,plan on passing it down to my daughter once she starts driving.prob. will be another xterra too,but with a higher trim pkg,it is a great go anywhere truck and lots of room for all your gear you want to take."

Never Felt Safer!

By on Monday, April 02, 2012

Pros: "safe,comfortable,roomy,good on all terrains"

Cons: "city miles per gallon aren't awesome"

"I have driven MANY cars and I have never felt more safe in a car then when I drive my 2007 Xterra. I have never had any major issues with this this car. I can drive in the snow/rain/ice and never feel like the roads are too dangerous. The truck is stable in all conditions and I would highly recommend this car to anyone looking for an SUV. It doesn't have the best gas mileage for city/suburban drivers..but if that is the only down fall on this truck(and i think it is) then it is absolutely worth buying!!!<3 this truck!"

great suv

By on Thursday, March 29, 2012

"great suv but i wish it got better gas mileage ..lol but really thats the only down fall .. get a 4x4 it nice ..."

I love my Xterra!

By on Thursday, March 29, 2012

"My Xterra is tough enough for back woods adventures, and slick enough for the city. It plows through mud holes and slides in easily at parallel parking. It has storage everywhere, so no matter what my adventure is, I know I'm covered. I could go on...this thing rocks. I used to name my cars...but this one is unable to be named. ...it is the most interesting SUV in the world. :)"

love the XTERRA, great $$, no problem SUV

By on Monday, March 26, 2012

"2nd XTERRA I havowned, 127K on 2001 model, traded for 2008. will run this to 100K and get a new one !!!"

Value for the price

By on Saturday, March 24, 2012

Pros: "Great mid-range SUV"

Cons: "Not the best mileage..."

"I would suggest the Nissan brand to anyone and the Xterra to both friends and family."

My first one was so good I had to get another

By on Friday, March 23, 2012

Pros: "Not too big but just the right size"

Cons: "gas milage"

"I owned a 2002 Xterra and it had 108,000 miles. Just got it back from the mechanic for a checkup and he said it would last us another 20,000 miles. Unfortunately within a week it was totaled. I spent the next month searching for another Xterra and found the one I currently own. Very reliable and very affordable. Recommend it highly!"

looks good drives good and is awesome in deep snow

By on Friday, March 23, 2012

Pros: "reliable, fun and just plain kool"

"I brought this xterra because its the koolest looking suv out there.i take it surf fishing in the loosest deep sand w/o any problems.My first year owning her was a monster snow year and it was fun going out when all the other suv s were stuck especially the all powerful jeep wrangler s i had so much fun pulling out of snow banks. ur going on beaches or off road get this vehicle."

Love it!

By on Sunday, March 18, 2012

Pros: "handling, simplicity, reliability."

Cons: "headlights not bright enough, gas mileage."

"I had all the 7 series BMW-s some Jaguars, and 1 Chrysler 300 This cheap Nissan is the best! Lot's of power, I sit high enough so I see the road better, simple dashboard, lot's of room, easy to fold the back seats down, nice big tires, the car feels heavy, safe.."

Love this car

By on Sunday, March 18, 2012

Pros: "fun to drive, handles great, can go anywhere"

Cons: "top heavy, port and stbd blind spots"

"I've had this car for 5 years, bought it new. I'm military, so I'm constantly driving across the country. I have driven it off-road, in the snow, and the desert. This vehicle has the best handling of any vehicle I have ever driven. The only negative thing I have to say about this vehicle is when it starts slipping (i.e. rain, snow, ice, mud, sand) it essentially throws it into neutral, which limits recovery."

very comfortable and fun to drive.

By on Sunday, March 18, 2012

Pros: "fun to drive, dependable"

Cons: "should come standard with running boards"

"Been driving this car for 6 1/2 years and it's never broken down or given me any trouble what so ever. And it's still looks new and drives like it's new."

I love my X

By on Saturday, March 17, 2012

"Its hard to believe that I'm going to pay it off in a few months and I haven't even thought that I need a new vehicle. Thats a first foe me. I'm going to ride this baby until it dies. A long time from now. There a few recalls that I need to get done, but they don't affect the every day usage. I might even go his and hers and get one for my wife when this is paid off. It isn't going to ride like a Cadillac, but a Cadillac isn't going to ride through 18" of snow without sliding off the road."

Nice 4wd for not much money

By on Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Pros: "Powerful, excellent snow performance, good storage"

Cons: "Interior is not fancy, seats not very comfortable"

"While not a very luxurious vehicle, it is an awesome utility vehicle. It handles snow remarkably well and has high enough clearance to make it through any winter storm. The inside is roomy enough to hold quite a bit of gear, kennels, whatever, and there are removable points inside to tie off. The truck accelertes very quickly and can get you on the freeway and up to speed without any lag. Cup holders and console storage are well positioned and there is a split glove box and door storage for everything else."

A new Hardbody

By on Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Pros: "Power, seats, performance, style, utility"

Cons: "fuel economy, interior needs 4 more inches"

"I sold my 95 Hardbody 4X4 extra cab before purchasing this used 06 in 2011. First off it lacks the appearance of high quality plastic, but there are ZERO rattles and there is nothing more annoying than a rattling vehicle. Nissan has the most comfortable seats of any vehicle I've driven and this one didn't disappoint. No big bells and whistles (Xterra S model) other than the basic AC, power windows/doorlocks/mirrors, cruise, vehicle dynamic control and 4 wheel drive. It's as long as my Honda Civic, so parking it in the garage or anywhere is a breeze. Oh, and it's turn radius is WAY tighter than my old Hardbody pick-up (that thing required a 5 point turnabout while this thing can do it in a simple u-turn). On the road it drives way better than my old pick-up, better braking, cornering, and LOTS more power. Off road it was adequate, but nothing like my old pick-up. The Xterra is more likely to bottom out and it's gearing isn't as low as my old pick-up, which makes for less rugged off-roading. I gave it a slight lift and the more standard (less sporty) 265/75/16 all terrain tires making it more capable off road, but more twitchy on the road. I love the commanding and unobstructed view I have while driving. I've used the interior and roof rack to haul all sorts of things including my mtn. bike, camping supplies, moving boxes, etc. I've also dropped the seats and used it like a little camper (if only it were 4 inches longer in the interior, then it would be PERFECT to sleep in). I've had no reliability problems and have owned it for about a year. If comparing this to the Toyota FJ, remember that the Xterra makes lots of power on regular unleaded while the FJ requires super unleaded fuel. The Nissan also has a more traditional door set-up, and better view than the FJ, because the FJ has some HUGE rear pillars that obstruct the view. No it's not as capable as a jeep wrangler is off-road, but it is all around more user-friendly and with a couple of mods, it is nearly as capable as the jeep. The biggest negative of the X is it's gas mileage (just like all it's comparable rivals). If it could consistently get 22 mpg, I'd sell my 4 cylinder Honda and only drive this. I can't wait to take it out again on a 4wheeling/camping trip. I love my Xterra! Funny side note, I accidentally left my dirty socks and hiking shoes on the top (not in the covered storage)of my X, drove up a rugged hill, 1 mile down a rough dirt rd, and down the road into Bishop, CA (approx. 10 miles). After picking up supplies I walked back to my Xterra and noticed what I had left on the roof! The rack and wind deflector worked very well and I'm sure it wasn't designed to protect loose socks and shoes. Thanks Nissan!"

Overall a great vehicle

By on Monday, March 12, 2012

Pros: "Powerful, fun, cargo area, off-road capabilities"

Cons: "Bad gas milage. Interior scratches easily"

"I love this car in every category except two: 1) Poor gas milage - I average about 15.5 MPGs (combined) 2) The interior seems to scratch easy on the plastic area's Everything else is a Pro: It's powerful, comfortable, capable, and great looking."

mixed emotions

By on Sunday, February 19, 2012

Pros: "Very powerful, smooth on highway, roomy"

Cons: "Horrible in snow, poor fuel mileage,cheaply made"

"Traded in my 96 4runner with 169k on it for this xterra s with 43k on it. Wow, what a mistake. Had the xterra less than six mths, and all the sudden we hear a loud pop from the motor and the motor is making a loud pitch when accelarated on. Turns out, the rocket scientist at Nissan decided to use PLASTIC internal motor parts. That was a $3500 repair(under warranty).6 MTHS AFTER THAT, the rear begins to grind while driving. The whole rear was shot and needed to be replaced. $5000 repair(under warranty). Thank god the service manager was awesome, took care of everything. ZERO out of pocket but my point is, what if i were out of factory warranty, it wouldnt have been worth it to fix. This was covered under powertrain due to it being under 50k on the truck. Truck is not abused, its my wife commuter(mostly highway).Rear hatch also doesnt stay open, never has. For the price, it is very cheaply made. Gas mileage is horrible. Could use some cup holders inside. Even with all the problems, its been reliable and dealer gave us a rental while it was out of comission.Truck also has alot of power. Very easy to merge onto highway traffic. Im not sure if i helped in your decision but i guess there is good and bad in every car but this seems excessive for a newer vehicle."

Love my XTERRA!! Best car I've owned

By on Friday, February 17, 2012

Pros: "Great price, love driving."

Cons: "Rough on the road, bad gas mileage."

"Living in New England, I know I needed a 4 wheel drive vehicle. I used to own an FJ Cruiser but I LOVE my XTERRA the best. Great in the snow, practical, not too large. Its a little rough on the road and its a HUGE gas guzzler but other than that, its GREAT. Plan to own for a while!"

Reviews Displayed:  5 | 10 | 25