2005 Nissan Xterra

Based on 436 Ratings for the 2005 - 2014 models.

My favorite SUV of all I've owned

By on Wednesday, April 09, 2014

Pros: "Size, handling, feels very solid, looks"

Cons: "Only 18 mpg, key fob alarm too sensitive"

"Bought new in Dec 2009 and have put a lot of miles on it. Currently has 114,500 and I have yet to put brakes on it - which is unbelievable. Get regular maintenance done every 5,000 and I'm coming to the end of my second set of tires. Plan to get 200,000 on it before I trade it in for another one. I really like it."

Like this model body style.

By on Friday, April 04, 2014

Pros: "High enough to see ahead of the car in front."

Cons: "Driver seat uncomfortable long distance."

"The Xterra was exactly what I expected and wanted."

Good suv, great powerful engine, poor gas mileage

By on Sunday, March 23, 2014

Pros: "Power, styling, cofortable, roomy"

Cons: "poor mpg, cheaply made, bad brakes, common probems"

"Not the same Nissan since Renault bought them out. Very nice suv, but cheaply made, alot of common problems, fuel gauge sensor, blower motor resistor, terrible brakes, paint chips easily, rusts quickly. Would take a 95 pathfinder over this xterra anyday, pathfinder has way better 4wd. Rear lower door seals fall off poor design, antenna in bad location for cleaning snow off of windshield, rear bumper poor design, too close to tailgate, freezes up in winter. VDC not good for offroad."

Versitile, roomy, very reliable, poor gas mileage.

By on Thursday, March 06, 2014

Pros: "Reliability; Versatility; Comfort"

Cons: "MPG"

"Being 6'2" and a physical therapist I like that I can easily sit with good posture, comfortably in the xterra. Bought the car new over 5 years ago. The reliability and versatility are what stand out to me. I feel as though I have driven it pretty hard for 85k miles and have only had one strut fixed (under warranty), one set of new tires put on, and routine oil changes. In my mind, the truck still feels new. Carrying my road bike around in the back with the seats down was a plus and the truck has been very convenient for multiple road trips, even if the gas mileage isn't the best. Avg 18 miles combined, driving about 75/25 city/highway. Haven't really gotten over 20 highway. I have since bought a civic for business purposes but find it hard to sell this truck as I think it will be tough to find a more reliable vehicle out there."

perfect for active living with kids, dog, gear!

By on Sunday, February 23, 2014

Pros: "powerful, compact, simple, practical, super fun!"

Cons: "stiff ride, no extra space inside (not roomy)"

"Just upgraded my older Xterra (2002) to a 2014 Pro-4x. I can't think of anything that is missing in this model! The upgrades are perfect down to the last detail. The engine is much more powerful and is super spunky on the HWY. I love the heated leather seats and the plastic vs carpet in the back storage area. The matts in the back seat area cover the middle hump which keeps the carpet from wearing. This vehicle will be easy to keep clean! It has every 'techy' convenience but doesn't look busy and cluttered. The back seats fold down perfectly flat so we can sleep in the vehicle on road trips if needed. There are more storage compartments in this model for 'stuff' and they are really well designed. The vehicle is wider and feels much roomier. The driver and passenger seats also have more leg room. I have always loved the Xterra for it's rugged design and sporty look. We live out in a rural area and deal with lots of snow and crazy road conditions. I've never had a problem. I also drive logging roads a fair bit in the pursuit of adventure...This vehicle handles well and can literally go places that no other vehicle can. It's pretty amazing! I would have liked to get the built in DVD players for the back seats...that's still to come :) It is for sure a 'stiffer' ride than many of the SUV/crossover vehicles that offer a smoother highway drive but you quickly get used to the feel of it and it's worth it when you look at the trade offs. It's truly the best vehicle for family adventuring in alap seasons with kids, the dog and lots of gear!"

It does what it is meant to do very well!

By on Monday, February 17, 2014

Pros: "Great Offroad and easy to clean, Nice unique look"

Cons: "Bad Fuel Economy"

"I've had my Xterra for two years now. So far the only issues I've had have been a window regulator and I needed a new 4wheel drive switch. All covered under warranty The vehicle is what it is. It is a utilitarian off-roader. It does great off road and in the snow(with proper tires). The inside is basic and easy to clean. The leather seat are comfortable enough. The Rockford fosgate stereo sounds great. Overall the gas milage has ranged from high 15 to low 17 average although I did get a average of 20 on a long drive out of Vermont. I hope this helps. If you have looking for an Off road SUV in the price range there is nothing better."

Solid SUV, fun to drive

By on Sunday, February 16, 2014

Pros: "Sporty and agile, fun to drive"

Cons: "Arm rests would be nice"

"I bought this new in 2008. I just got back from a 6000 mile cross country drive. It handled dirt, ice, snow, slush and cruised comfortably across 17 states. A good off roader in its stock form. Its a bit small to sleep in comfortably for me. Heading east I got a high of 24 mpg thanks to a pretty constant tail wind. Usually get about 20 on the freeway. It now has about 45,000 miles and hasn't had any recalls or problems. The Vehicle Dynamic Control saved me a couple times. Once when I had to swerve around a parked truck on the freeway doing 60mph. Another time when I was hit on the rear passenger door doing about 50. The only thing my S model lacks is outdoor temp gauge and a compass built into the review mirror and a 6 CD changer. All things that could be added but my previous Ford SUVs had those features and I do like them. They are probably available on the SE and offroad model. I never thought I would keep her this long but I still like the body style, the power and handling. I've only done oil changes, tire rotations and had the coolant system flushed. Brakes are still good. This is my first Nissan or import for what its worth, it was built in Tennessee."

Best kept secret in SUV's, best value hands down.

By on Monday, February 10, 2014

Pros: "Price, Ride, Power, Capability, Value, features"

Cons: "Zero luxury options to choose from"

"Ride is firm, responsive, and super quiet. Interior is comfortable with necessary accessories like power windows, locks, cruise control, great sound system, 4WD shift on the fly, power locks, tilt steering. Nothing fancy. Engine power is great, exhaust note is really sweet, handling is quick and responsive and it corners very well (with the understanding this is a 4000lb tall SUV not a sports car). I love it, and where else can you get into a mid sized SUV with a 260hp V6 for less than 35,000? A couple of things I wish were standard equipment: Auto mirror with compass would have been nice, and how about some delay off on the headlights or even automatic headlights, not a lot of electronics to add that. If you're into heated leather seats this isn't your vehicle, in fact not even available, but if you want a very capable vehicle for the best price on the market with a great ride and comfortable cabin this is for you. If they would actually advertise these things I'm sure they could sell a heck of a lot more than they do!"

Not quite what I was looking for

By on Saturday, February 08, 2014

Pros: "Looks good."

Cons: "over 100,000 not reliable. At all."

"I bought this vehicle used with 98,000 miles. At 101,000 the catalytic converter failed 600$). at 107,000 the radiator failed (250$). at 110,000 the transmission failed (2,900$). at 116,000, camshaft positioning sensor failed (160$). All that in the first 2 years I owned the vehicle."

Fun & easy vehicle to drive.

By on Wednesday, February 05, 2014

"Bought new. Love, love it. Has off road pkg. & I have gone off road many times. Never let me down. Love hill holder & hill decent control. Plenty of power & rides ok for short wheelbase vehicle. Not an economy car. Gas mileage 12 - 19. Fit & finish are excellent. Interior is plastic but very easy to maintain. Styling needs refreshing. Overall the best car I have ever owned."