2005 Nissan Xterra

Based on 454 Ratings for the 2005 - 2015 models.

Reliable and practical; mileage could be better

By on Wednesday, December 11, 2013

Pros: "Tough, trouble free and does it all"

Cons: "By today's standards gass mileage is low (16-21)"

"My Xterra 4x4 has been one of the best vehicles I've ever owned. For reliability and do-anything capability I doubt it can be beat. I've done serious off-roading with it in Moab (with a 2" lift and off-road tires) and towed trailers (max weight about 4K lbs) for hundreds of miles. It's always done the job with power and comfort to spare. Never had a repair other than the radiator fan clutch went out at about 95K (replaced it with electric and get about 1/2 mpg better). With 104K I'm selling it while it's still worth a bit since I drive so little now and don't need off-road capability. It still looks and drives like new."

Great 4x4 SUV

By on Thursday, November 10, 2011

Pros: "Great interior, cool styling, great 4x4 capability"

Cons: "Fuel milage"

"The xTerra is a fantastic off road SUV. It is however not to be confused with the newer car based unibody SUV's that everybody drives around the city. The Xterra does have a firmer ride due to it's off road suspension and body on frame truck design. The interior is fantastic. It's made mostly of easy to clean hard plastic that can't rip or tear. It has more compartments then you'll know what to do with as well. My only gripe is that the plastic does scratch easily so be careful if you tend to throw your keys around. As for off road capability it is one of the best at it's price. The locking rear diff and traditional 4x4 transfer case make it a dream on the trail or in the snow and mud. The 4.0 engine delivers tons of power sometimes you forget your driving a 4000lb truck. It is however a thirsty vehicle. I drive mostly highway miles everyday and it sucks about a 20mpg at the very best. I would recommend the Xterra to anyone who lives an outdoors lifestyle or likes weekend trips out in the bush but if all you want is a big vehicle to hop around the city in there are definitely some more appropriate and fuel efficient choices out there."

Perfect Vehicle for me!

By on Monday, October 17, 2011

Pros: "Great for off-roading and small - medium towing"

Cons: "Semi cheap plastics inside"

"This is the perfect vehicle for me. If you're looking for a really comfortable ride, look for a crossover. However if you go off road or do a little towing, the Xterra is perfect. Great power and handles surprisingly well for a truck based SUV. I recently pulled a 4,000 lb vehicle across the country and the Xterra tackled it without a problem. During the tow I averaged about 15 mpg, but under normal driving I get 19-20."

Won't buy another

By on Wednesday, November 20, 2013

Pros: "Versatile car"

Cons: "Poor gas mileage , Faulty parts, no Nissan support"

"Original owner of a 2006. I bought this as my first Nissan based on a recommendation of a family member who use to own a Sentra. I really like the SUV, style, truck frame, all the different uses I get out of it and it's my only vehicle. My biggest issue is the fact the engine light is on more than off in the lifetime of the vehicle. Right after the warranty expired the fuel sensor went out and Nissan wouldn't help me replace it. Ok, warranty I get it. But then I saw lots of other Xterras with the same problem. After I spent $500 to fix that the engine light came back on and all 4 catalytic converters went out at 82,000 miles. I can't smog my car in California with out replacing and the quotes I got are around $4000 for all 4. That's a California thing since they are very expensive in this state. Then the transmission started acting funny and about that time I got a class action notice in the mail about some replacement money to help, but you can't have more than 100,000 miles and again I was just past that at 102,000. So I spent $800 fixing the leaky radiator which cause the damage to the transmission. After arguing with Nissan telling them they have put faulty parts in the Xterras and won't help out money wise with the bad parts I give up and will never buy a Nissan again. It's too bad because I really like the vehicle just not worth putting lots of extra money into fixing it all the time. My old Toyota went 300,000 with very little repairs and expense. Humm. Maybe my next one again. I don't feel Nissan backs up their cars in a reasonable mount of time to support car failures! Great car if you just want to park it most of the time."

Great SUV

By on Friday, March 29, 2013

Pros: "very reliable and tough"

Cons: "gas mileage"

"Almost 200,000 miles on my 2001 Xterra and I've never had a problem."