2005 Nissan Xterra

Based on 464 Ratings for the 2005 - 2015 models.

Competent at many roles.

By on Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Pros: "Capable off road, looks good, powerful."

Cons: "Could be better equipped. More MPG's!"

My 2010 Xterra in the Monongahela National Forest

"The Xterra isn't the fanciest, most comfortable, or most well equipped SUV, but what it does, it does well. I've had mine in a great many different off-road situations, including once when I pushed foot-deep mud with my front bumper. The Xterra never even blinked. I was skeptical about "brake locking" (aka, traction control) for off-roading, but it works surprisingly well. When a wheel spins, that wheel is braked and the power goes to the wheels that have traction. Doesn't have a lot of bells and whistles, but has the basics to be comfortable in everyday driving. I've pressed mine into service as a vacation hauler and it makes a decent station wagon, with enough room for my 5' 11" son in the back and lots of luggage. Reliability has been good so far. No problems. Great power and handling for a big vehicle. Gas mileage is only so-so (personally haven't gotten more than 20 mpg). Interior space could be better. Upholstery is cheap looking and stains easily. I added seat covers and now don't have to worry so much. Mine developed a squeak somewhere deep in the dash that can occasionally be annoying. The cruise sometimes can't make up its mind at lower speeds, dropping several miles per hour below where I set it, then "waking up" and rushing forward so quickly that soon you're going faster than you want to. On the freeways, though, it's fine. Lots of hauling room with the seats down. Sturdy roof rack with rooftop storage compartment, which is nice for carrying messy stuff outside your vehicle. And of course, the thing looks like it is ready for action. If I had it to do again, I'd buy it in a heartbeat. I heard the Xterra is going out of production in the next couple years. I hope that's not true...I'd like to have another one."

My 2010 Xterra in the Monongahela National Forest

Good value

By on Monday, June 25, 2012

Pros: "good overall value"

Cons: "a few more repairs than my 4-Runner"

"I bought my 2005 used with 32K on it, since then I've racked up over 100K more. I really like the horsepower but the trade-off is lower gas mileage. It does well off-road and in snow. I have a kayak and enjoy the body design and roof rack, well thought out and functional. Compared to my previous car, a Toyota 4-Runner I have had a few more mechanical problems and spend more on repairs but I also paid a few thousand less than a comparable 4-Runner so guess you get what you pay for. Good overall vehicle for every day life and offers some respectable off-road capabilities."

Great SUV

By on Friday, March 29, 2013

Pros: "very reliable and tough"

Cons: "gas mileage"

"Almost 200,000 miles on my 2001 Xterra and I've never had a problem."

Great 4x4 SUV

By on Thursday, November 10, 2011

Pros: "Great interior, cool styling, great 4x4 capability"

Cons: "Fuel milage"

"The xTerra is a fantastic off road SUV. It is however not to be confused with the newer car based unibody SUV's that everybody drives around the city. The Xterra does have a firmer ride due to it's off road suspension and body on frame truck design. The interior is fantastic. It's made mostly of easy to clean hard plastic that can't rip or tear. It has more compartments then you'll know what to do with as well. My only gripe is that the plastic does scratch easily so be careful if you tend to throw your keys around. As for off road capability it is one of the best at it's price. The locking rear diff and traditional 4x4 transfer case make it a dream on the trail or in the snow and mud. The 4.0 engine delivers tons of power sometimes you forget your driving a 4000lb truck. It is however a thirsty vehicle. I drive mostly highway miles everyday and it sucks about a 20mpg at the very best. I would recommend the Xterra to anyone who lives an outdoors lifestyle or likes weekend trips out in the bush but if all you want is a big vehicle to hop around the city in there are definitely some more appropriate and fuel efficient choices out there."

Great car

By on Saturday, October 20, 2012

"Fun to drive great to park.. strong engine.. no problem geting on the highway. rides high you can see everything. Seats aren't the most comfy... ride is bumpy.. and I have the most irritating squeak in the back."

It just needs some minor tweeks.

By on Wednesday, April 04, 2012

Pros: "Outside storage on top, visibility, versatility"

Cons: "Gas mileage, rear passenger entry/exit"

"I bought this truck used at 65000 miles and now have 117000 miles. I have had NO problems out of it and the brakes are the only thing that I have replaced. It drives the same as it did the day I bought it. It is an awfully thirsty vehicle to be so small, though. I'm always driving, but the main complaint my friends have is getting in and out of the back seat... there is no room; even for short people. Once they get in it's fine, though. The compartments and storage areas are convenient and well-placed. I can't wait for my next XTerra!"

Five major problems with this car.

By on Monday, December 19, 2011

Pros: "Nice looking ride"

Cons: "Mechanically junk. This will be my only Nissan."

"CV (failed within warranty) Timing chain tensioner - both (61000 miles) Fuel sending unit (64000 miles) Blower motor (70000 miles) Oil pressure sensor (74000 miles) I installed an after market tranny cooler to avoid the common failure of the antifreeze leaking into the tranny fluid."

Unique and Capable

By on Monday, November 07, 2011

Pros: "Rugged, reliable, comfortable, great value."

Cons: "N/A with factory navigation."

"2005 Xterra Off-Road. The Xterra offers the best of both worlds. Nearly unstoppable off road, and comfortable and well behaved on the highway. If you want to follow the road less traveled, the Xterra will get you there and back. The part-time 4 wheel drive system is easy to operate and very capable in dirt, mud, and snow. The Xterra also stands out from the herd with unique body accents, the stepped roof line, and the iconic (and very functional) roof rack. With nearly 100k miles on it, the engine and drive train still run like new (even though many of those miles were on rough back-country trails and fresh deep snow). Bring it home, wash it down, and it's very comfortable for a 65 mile daily commute. Mileage is typical for an off-road ready SUV, 20-21 MPG in mixed daily driving. If you want a REAL SUV that isn't afraid to get dirty, this is one you definitely need to consider."

05 Xterra

By on Friday, April 23, 2010

"I bought the 2005 2wd Xterra new and have regularly maintained it. The X definitely has power. I have never had problems passing. I like the interior and exterior from a functional standpoint. I keep the back seats down for cargo space, so no riders in the back seat. I get between 20 - 22 mpg, which I am okay with for an SUV. I have had mechanical problems. The fuel level sensor module has been out a couple years. It's $400 for the dealer to repair / replace, so I just keep track of mileage. The cam shaft sensor has gone out, and I have had it replaced. The serpentine belt (or the tensioner) has squealed pretty much from 1 yr old on starting. Now the dealer says my timing chain/tensioner needs replaced. Nissan has issued a technical service bulletin (TSB) NTB09-128 for the timing chain (Nissasn also issued a TSB for the fuel level sensor module). A TSB means the dealers should be looking for the problem, but Nissan has no intention of fixing the problem for free of charge. My wife owned a Nissan 240 that basically fell apart at 100K miles (was going to cost more to fix that was worth), my best friend owned an Xterra that basically fell apart at 110K miles (SPENT more to fix than was worth, then sold after more problems), my Xterra has 100k miles. I will be trading it off soon!!! Great vehicle if you intend to get rid of before 100K miles. The big question is: should your vehicle require major maintenance before 100K miles? If your answer is "yes" then you will have no problems with an X. If your answer is "no", then you should research other vehicles before purchasing."

great SUV

By on Monday, December 30, 2013

"bought my 2007 off-road pkg. xterra new, 112.000 miles later and still going strong. My wife absoulutely loves it. Went and bought another one, PRO-X, this weekend, went back & fourth with gettel nissan for 4 weeks, final price paid, 28.500 out the door. X-CELLENT vehicle !!!! keep it up nissan"

I am trading for my 3rd Xterra, enough said!!!

By on Saturday, February 16, 2013

Pros: "Great for off roading in the Ozarks, Great for Lab"

Cons: "Fuel sender to guage and check engine light"

"Heard they were moving out of Smyrna, TN plant and possibly Chrysler putting these together. I don't want any part of that. This has been a very reliable vehicle. I hunt and fish. It has served me well. Anyone that is a sportsman, cannot go wrong with this vehicle. I will buy a 2012 while I can still get an SUV mounted on a truck frame. No crossovers for me!!!!"

I LOVE THIS CAR

By on Friday, July 13, 2012

"is the best car i ever buy used ."

Little Red Wagon that Could

By on Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Pros: "Reliability, Great Winter Car, Versatility"

Cons: "Road noise, Gas mileage"

"I have the 2002 S automatic with 4x4. I've loved the reliability of this vehicle! I did the basic maintenance (oil, etc) and put two sets of tires on it while I owned. The only problems I had were: the temperature adjuster/resister which went out twice (there was a recall on this) and the fuel pump once (I had a local guy fix it and he botched the job somehow and the vehicle was running out of gas at a quarter of a tank. So from then on it was the dealer for fixing after that). It survived the Wyoming Rockies and the Wisconsin winters with ease. I did one haul on unplowed roads from WI rapids to Tomah in at least 6 inches of snow without ending in the ditch or getting stuck! I also picked up a guy on the way to work one winter when his sedan was stuck in the snow. Done some hauling of our motorcycles and lots of yardwork mulch hauling over the years without trouble. You can't beat the driver's view (I changed from a toyota corolla which is low to the ground). I also like the tough look exterior which seems lost on the newer SUVs/cross overs. On the con side... It does get a bit loud out on the highway and does get pushed by the wind. I would imagine any high profile vehicle would be pushed by the wind. The only reason I'm thinking of getting a smaller SUV is that I'm commuting a bit further now and would like a little better gas mileage but any AWD or 4x4 vehicle will suck down a lot of gas but I don't want to be stuck in subzero weather in a Wisconsin winter either."

Love my Xterra

By on Friday, April 13, 2012

"I have had my Xterra for 8 months! love the ride, the mileage is not bad at all!! Look what you are driving. If you need to get out of the way on the highway, plenty of horsepower! I love feeling safe.. will not trade!!!!"

great truck

By on Monday, April 02, 2012

Pros: "fun to drive,great gas milage,and very versatle"

Cons: "wish i got higher tirm pkg,"

"i have owned nissans for last 12 years,the all have been great vehicles,this is my 2nd xterra,the first being a 2001,great on gas,no problems,plan on passing it down to my daughter once she starts driving.prob. will be another xterra too,but with a higher trim pkg,it is a great go anywhere truck and lots of room for all your gear you want to take."

Solid, powerful, fun, reliable

By on Wednesday, November 09, 2011

Cons: "gas mileage in this tough economy..18-20 mpg"

"We LOVE this car; always feel safe in here! It gets us where we want to go in all weather-in the mountains, gravel driveways mucky or snowy- shift into the 4-wheel drive mode and we get where we want to go! We even pulled a mail truck out of a ditch in the winter! Cargo space is outstanding! Short on cup holders in the back seat w/3 people back there; height from the ground makes it difficult for some of our older friends/relatives to get in and out, but ground clearance makes this car one of the best for rough terrain."

Off-road Ninja Hauler

By on Thursday, February 10, 2011

"The 2006 model Xterra won Car and Driver's SUV of the year, and for a reason! In stock form this is a very capable Off-road SUV. Get the Off-road package with rear locker, and 4X4 and it's near impossible to get stuck. What really sets the Xterra apart is it's overall versatility. The Wranger is better off-road, but not by a large amount. The Xterra is probably the 2nd best off-road vehicle (in stock form). Now let's compare them on-road. Both vehicles are more utilitarian in nature, but the Xterra is a much more civilized and comfortable on pavement. I've put over 60k miles on mine, and do not regret my decision. So that you know I'm not blind fan boy, here are the cons: 1. Cheap plastic interior (can stratch easy) 2. Rear seats entry/exit is tight. 3. Ride is trucklike 4. Gas milage suffers with 4X4 and big tires Pros: 1. Impressive turning radius 2. Plenty of power 3. Plenty of technology (Traction Control, HIll descent assist, incline brake release, active braking limited slip, electronic rear locker) 4. Off-road capability, civilized in town."

I Love This Car

By on Sunday, October 31, 2010

"I have an 05 with almost 100K miles and it still looks and drive likes new. No major repairs needed minus 30K, 60K, 90K scheduled stuff. I pretty much plan on owning this car forever. Would recommend to anyone. Only complaint, the back seat is hard to get in and out of due to the rear wheel well."

Xterra # 2

By on Sunday, September 19, 2010

"Drove my 2004 110,000 miles without any problems. Purchased the 2008 and 93,000 miles later It's still the best vehicle that i have ever purchased."

Great Adventure vehicle

By on Saturday, August 28, 2010

"Our 2010 Nissan Xterra Off road 6speed MT is our second Xterra. We used to have a 2002 4x2 and used it to go everywhere going semi-off road when traction allowed. Now that we have a 4x4 Off Road trim, We've already taken it to Hollister Off road park, The Lost Coast USAL beach, and other adventures. Ive had no complaints with this vehicle. I guess the people who buy this vehicle should expect what they are buying. Its a Truck Chassis 4X4 that has no frills interior and awsome off road capability right out of the box. It is what it is. Nothing more nothing less. Real SUV 4x4's started this way and they just got more and more bloat and fat. Just what I wanted in a adventure vehicle."

Best Vehicle of Choice

By on Saturday, June 26, 2010

"I bought a 2007 X, S new off the lot with no miles. For the most part i have enjoyed this suv, lets be real it has power, its sharp looking and even though i replaced the factory tires with toyo's almost a month after i bought it, it rides great the MPG went from 19 to 24 on the hiway after i changed tires and stayed with the 100% gas and no eth. i have pulled our 22ft ski b. with no prob. its has yet to fail me when i needed it . I have took it all over, it has enough room for all my gear and then a little more with the roof rack. I now have just over 80,000 and no major repairs not even brake pads. I like to keep it maint. My two year old has smeared and colored all over the seats, windows, plastics, arm rest, and they clean up easy, but a little hard to stay in after a long trip( stretch your legs every time u get the chance if u have to stay in the back seat) the city ride is not bad compared to other suv's with the same off road capabilities... its stiff for a reason try towing and breaking with a large trailer behind a jeep...good luck, the x has held up so far everything i put it through i have yet to find a reason to trade up yet, but a note to the readers if u CAN stay with 100% gas it makes a huge dif. in MPG and its makes the fuel sender work. Drive on Friends because u can in a x"

Great Truck

By on Friday, June 04, 2010

"This is a Great Truck and Great Value. It's a truck not a tall station wagon. I like the solid truck ride. I averaged 21.8 MPG on a 400 mile trip (90% highway). Great cargo room. Lots of storage space."

Great SUV for a 20 Something

By on Friday, December 28, 2007

"I love this truck. I get about 16 MPG in the city, and 21 MPG on the interstate and it has all the power you'll ever need on the highway. I took the truck off-road once and in 4WD low, there was plenty of torque to get through the mud. The rear seat is not passenger friendly ( and per some other reviews) doesn't accomodate a child safetly seat, but there's plenty of cargo space. In short, great truck for one or two."

Sweet Ride

By on Thursday, July 12, 2007

"I got this vehicle because I liked the old Xterra but didn't like the engine choices and the rear drums amongst other things. When this one came out they had fixed everything that I saw wrong with the old model so I just had to get one. So far I have had it for a year and a half and nothing has gone wrong with it and it does great off-road and on. My only complaint is with the BFG Rugged Trail tires. I upgraded to BFG All-Terrain tires and have never looked back. Great stopping power and acceleration, along with decent gas mileage for the size of the car. I would recommend that anyone buy this car as I couldn't have picked a better car to suit me."

Reliability defined!

By on Wednesday, April 29, 2015

Pros: "Dependable, reliable, smooth ride, handles well"

Cons: "mpg sucks"

"Great, dependable car. 17 mpg is the only reason it is a 9 instead of a 10 across the board."