2005 Nissan Xterra

Based on 455 Ratings for the 2005 - 2015 models.

Competent at many roles.

By on Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Pros: "Capable off road, looks good, powerful."

Cons: "Could be better equipped. More MPG's!"

My 2010 Xterra in the Monongahela National Forest

"The Xterra isn't the fanciest, most comfortable, or most well equipped SUV, but what it does, it does well. I've had mine in a great many different off-road situations, including once when I pushed foot-deep mud with my front bumper. The Xterra never even blinked. I was skeptical about "brake locking" (aka, traction control) for off-roading, but it works surprisingly well. When a wheel spins, that wheel is braked and the power goes to the wheels that have traction. Doesn't have a lot of bells and whistles, but has the basics to be comfortable in everyday driving. I've pressed mine into service as a vacation hauler and it makes a decent station wagon, with enough room for my 5' 11" son in the back and lots of luggage. Reliability has been good so far. No problems. Great power and handling for a big vehicle. Gas mileage is only so-so (personally haven't gotten more than 20 mpg). Interior space could be better. Upholstery is cheap looking and stains easily. I added seat covers and now don't have to worry so much. Mine developed a squeak somewhere deep in the dash that can occasionally be annoying. The cruise sometimes can't make up its mind at lower speeds, dropping several miles per hour below where I set it, then "waking up" and rushing forward so quickly that soon you're going faster than you want to. On the freeways, though, it's fine. Lots of hauling room with the seats down. Sturdy roof rack with rooftop storage compartment, which is nice for carrying messy stuff outside your vehicle. And of course, the thing looks like it is ready for action. If I had it to do again, I'd buy it in a heartbeat. I heard the Xterra is going out of production in the next couple years. I hope that's not true...I'd like to have another one."

My 2010 Xterra in the Monongahela National Forest

perfect for active living with kids, dog, gear!

By on Sunday, February 23, 2014

Pros: "powerful, compact, simple, practical, super fun!"

Cons: "stiff ride, no extra space inside (not roomy)"

"Just upgraded my older Xterra (2002) to a 2014 Pro-4x. I can't think of anything that is missing in this model! The upgrades are perfect down to the last detail. The engine is much more powerful and is super spunky on the HWY. I love the heated leather seats and the plastic vs carpet in the back storage area. The matts in the back seat area cover the middle hump which keeps the carpet from wearing. This vehicle will be easy to keep clean! It has every 'techy' convenience but doesn't look busy and cluttered. The back seats fold down perfectly flat so we can sleep in the vehicle on road trips if needed. There are more storage compartments in this model for 'stuff' and they are really well designed. The vehicle is wider and feels much roomier. The driver and passenger seats also have more leg room. I have always loved the Xterra for it's rugged design and sporty look. We live out in a rural area and deal with lots of snow and crazy road conditions. I've never had a problem. I also drive logging roads a fair bit in the pursuit of adventure...This vehicle handles well and can literally go places that no other vehicle can. It's pretty amazing! I would have liked to get the built in DVD players for the back seats...that's still to come :) It is for sure a 'stiffer' ride than many of the SUV/crossover vehicles that offer a smoother highway drive but you quickly get used to the feel of it and it's worth it when you look at the trade offs. It's truly the best vehicle for family adventuring in alap seasons with kids, the dog and lots of gear!"

It does what it is meant to do very well!

By on Monday, February 17, 2014

Pros: "Great Offroad and easy to clean, Nice unique look"

Cons: "Bad Fuel Economy"

"I've had my Xterra for two years now. So far the only issues I've had have been a window regulator and I needed a new 4wheel drive switch. All covered under warranty The vehicle is what it is. It is a utilitarian off-roader. It does great off road and in the snow(with proper tires). The inside is basic and easy to clean. The leather seat are comfortable enough. The Rockford fosgate stereo sounds great. Overall the gas milage has ranged from high 15 to low 17 average although I did get a average of 20 on a long drive out of Vermont. I hope this helps. If you have looking for an Off road SUV in the price range there is nothing better."

Awesome vehicle, a lot of vehicle for the price

By on Thursday, January 23, 2014

Pros: "price, versatility"

Cons: "gas mileage, not much for ammenities"

"I bought a 2010 Xterra slightly used in 2010 with only 7500 miles on it. I have driven it everyday since, on many road trips, highway miles, back roads, even some slight offroad trips. This thing is dependable, great power, great handling. Feels great at 80 mph on the highway, or at 5 mph on the trail. Holds its value well as well. I would recommend this vehicle to anyone."

Reliable and practical; mileage could be better

By on Wednesday, December 11, 2013

Pros: "Tough, trouble free and does it all"

Cons: "By today's standards gass mileage is low (16-21)"

"My Xterra 4x4 has been one of the best vehicles I've ever owned. For reliability and do-anything capability I doubt it can be beat. I've done serious off-roading with it in Moab (with a 2" lift and off-road tires) and towed trailers (max weight about 4K lbs) for hundreds of miles. It's always done the job with power and comfort to spare. Never had a repair other than the radiator fan clutch went out at about 95K (replaced it with electric and get about 1/2 mpg better). With 104K I'm selling it while it's still worth a bit since I drive so little now and don't need off-road capability. It still looks and drives like new."