2004 Nissan Xterra

Based on 578 Ratings for the 2000 - 2004 models.

Best SUV

By on Tuesday, January 12, 2016

Pros: "AMAZING SUV"

"This is an SUV, not build for luxury or extreme comfort. However, This is the best built SUV going. I have had mine 13 years, with 223,000 miles and I have been never disappointed in my trucks performance. She is just starting to have issues, oil tank leaking (rotted), slipping transmission; for that mileage I can't complain. I have taken her on beaches, Mountains trails made for 4-Wheelers, in all weather conditions and never had an issue (with the correct tires). I highly recommend Nitto Grappler tires, you will NEVER get stuck or be disappointed in any weather, or road / off road condition. She has been up & down the East Coast. I have been re-ended twice and not a dent, cars that hit me were totaled; she is a tank! 2005-2010 is a completely different SUV; different frame, different ride, lots of serious issues; I do not recommend these years. I wish Nissan stuck with the original X-Terra; same frame, body, shocks and over-all built"

I'm 60 - my FAVORITE car ever!

By on Friday, September 21, 2012

Pros: "Reliable, huge cargo area, will go in any weather."

Cons: "Not so great on gas mileage."

"This is the most versitile car I've ever owned. It will go up my 45 degree incline driveway in snow. It has such a huge cargo space - both wide and tall - that it will haul just about anything I have ever tried to put in it. I have moved myself once (7 rooms worth) and my parents twice(5 rooms worth). Only had to pay someone else to move the large appliances and an oversized china cabinet. All other furniture could be moved with the Xterra - saved HUNDREDS of dollars in moving and delivery over the years. It's 13 years old and still a work horse. Not likely to get rid of it until it drops out from under me."

2002 XTERRA SE 4X4

By on Saturday, September 25, 2010

"I have had my "X" for almost 7 years now and very happy with it! I love the styling of the older models more than the newer boxier types. Everything holds together really well and takes the bumbs and grinds. Performance is good for the size of the engine they put in the unit. Works for pulling U-haul or small car and can hold its own towing while going up mountain roads, dip in fuel economy is very noticable when doing this but your towing up a mountain. Otherwise towing on flat highway shows a very small decrease. Acceleration is pretty peppy for off the line goes and starting from the bottom of an on ramp going onto the highway (up hill in this case on a curve) I can hit 70-75 before I have to merge. Handles well at high speeds and evassive manuevers are above average. Stock offroading is reduced to small trails and or mudding. I put on 31.5" tires under the stock setup and don't have a lot of trouble, a little grinding on the fender in a "cranked all the way to the side" turn. Room is very extensive, back seats are good enough for a six foot person, a little cramping if in for a long ride with no stops. Driver and passenger seats are very comfortable and fit well, same problem on long drives but you can last longer in the front. Interior is very nice and accomadating and configures for your daily use, given the back seats can be laid flat. With just the basic changes in oil and a trany flush when it was recommended, over 7 years i have had one major and one minor problem with it. The major problem: had to replace the steering gearbox at about 60k miles it cost about 2k parts and labor. I understand a burr broke off inside the gear set and caused damage to the gears making it almost impossible to turn the wheel. However i understand this was a fluke and is not common at all. Minor issue was a airconditioner leak that took about 20-40 dollars to replace and its worked fine sense. AC is a little on the warmer side for my taste but it could be low on coolant or a recharge could be in order. Also, upgrades for offroading ability are a bit expensive and limited but the options are there. For 7 years old it has been really fun on road, off road and everywhere inbetween. It is small enough to be easily drivable, parkable and trailable while maintaining good space on the inside. FUN FUN FOR MORE YEARS TO COME!!"

My second Nissan

By on Monday, July 02, 2012

Pros: "Cost less then toyotas"

Cons: "Need to improve on the mpg"

"My first I had for 15 years ,this one has 12 I just get tired of driving the same thing for so many years , it's a good investment . Next I hope to get a G35"

BEST TRUCK I'VE EVER OWNED

By on Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Pros: "Great handling, good looking, good for vacationing"

Cons: "positioning of catalytic converters is poor"

"I'm a local fire police and need a reliable vehicle...this met and exceeded my expectations. I NEVER got stuck in any snow storm when I was needed on the road."