2004 Nissan Xterra

Based on 570 Ratings for the 2000 - 2004 models.

Love It!

By on Friday, August 16, 2013

Pros: "Fun to drive, great in snow, mud, and severe rain"

Cons: "gas mileage, rust"

"Over 200,000 miles in 11 years. I own two cars, the other one is an '09 with 96,000 miles. I drive a lot. Only downfall is gas mileage (similar to a Jeep). Great vehicle for hauling kids and hockey gear, camping equipment, and hundreds of books. Stock vehicle is extremely capable off-road. Not too difficult to modify for more advanced or rougher terrain/trails."

Very dependable, I would buy it again.

By on Friday, August 31, 2012

"I brought the car new in 2000, has over 200,000 miles. No major repairs ever needed. Heating & air, radio, windows still runs good.Great for a family. Do not care for the Stadium seating in the back seat. It makes it hard to back up. Do not like that you can not close the air vents if needed. I would buy it again. Good performance."

best vehicle i have ever owned

By on Sunday, April 01, 2012

Pros: "very fun to drive, and very good day to day driver"

Cons: "bulky and heavy. takes some getting used too."

"Best vehicle I have ever owned. I've previously owned a dodge status, and a Ford F150( in that order) and I can tell out of the two previously stated the xterra is a way better vehicle. Could have a bit more power, but that's all I can really find negative about THE X......coming up at just about 205,000 mi. On the O.G. motor and she is still purring like a lil kitty. Little to no power lost, no rough idling , and low cost for replacement parts makes this suv a sure winner."

Great off road/long trips. Low city mileage.

By on Monday, November 14, 2011

Pros: "Such a fun car, begs to be taken on the trail."

Cons: "City mpg, power windows."

My baby.

"I love my Xterra to bits I wouldn't give her up for anything. However she is an '03 with slight sag on her headliner and mileage of only around 13-14 city. She used to get tons of off road experience and does great on mileage when traveling long distances, for a car of her age/size. Hwy approximately 19-20 mpg. She has never needed new parts or any repairs, has excellent handling (I love how I can feel the road through the steering wheel). Automatic transmission, smooth acceleration, comfortable ride. Rides great in snow/rain you name it she can take it. Totally recommend an Xterra, older ones are cheaper/more reliable. Newer models have lower mileage, and are much heavier etc. Give it love and it will give back."

My baby.

Great Car!

By on Wednesday, November 09, 2011

Pros: "Great in snow, lots of room, reliable, smooth ride"

"Great car for winter! Very reliable car with lots of space! I moved almost my whole house in this vehicle! Great for vacations, road trips. Never had a problem with it. Drives smooth. Had this car for 12 years and only thing I have ever had to do to it is basic services (oil change, brakes, etc.) Recommend you get this car if you are looking for a great looking, reliable, affordable SUV."

Love My Xterra

By on Friday, November 04, 2011

Pros: "Suprisingly affordable for a durable SUV."

Cons: "None!"

"This vehicle does it all! I can haul anything from sheetrock to 5 people and all their snowboard gear!! It will go anywhere! I put BFGoodrich A/T's on and it is unstoppable. The Rockford Fosgate sound system that came stock sounds great...no upgrades needed. Long trips not a problem...seats are quite comfortable and the ride is nice! Would like a little more power and better gas mileage, but they corrected that on the newer models. I will always own an Xterra!!!"

love my xterra

By on Wednesday, October 19, 2011

"I am 6'5" tall and this is one of the best rides I have had. Lots of room for the long trips and comfortable."

Like A Tank

By on Saturday, September 18, 2010

"I've owned my Xterra since 10-04 and it has been nothing but a tank. Living in New England and enduring harsh winters with snow and salt, freezing temperatures and hot summers this Xterra is a champ. I've done simple maintanance and switched over to synthetic oil around 80k. It's not the best vehicle on gas but the Xterra gives much in bang for your buck. Cargo room, a solid 4X4 system, power and stylish looks make it a great choice for someone looking to get into an suv for the first time at a reasonable price. I also would like to mention that my Xterra came from an Enterprise rental fleet. It's a 2004 that I purchased IN 2004 with 15k. Don't let the myth of buying a previous rental vehicle sway your decision. I'm going to keep this Xterra even after i purchase my next one."

A wonderful investment

By on Monday, August 02, 2010

"I have had this car since August 2008 (Two year anniversary soon to be celebrate) with 48.8K on it and Im at about 71K as of 08/2010. The gas mileage is nothing to right home about (I get about 16/22), but once you get past that the 01 xterra is amazing. I have NEVER had trouble starting it, even in the sub zero temperatures of Illinois winters, and have only had to replace an old rusted exhaust piping downstream of the cat. The four wheel drive is crucial for the winter snow and spring mud, and there is plenty of low end torque to get you moving (also good for towing, and pulling the neighbor's cars out in the winter). That being said, passing on the highway isn't the same as it would be in a Porche, but it can be done without too much trouble. She is a little noisy on the highway, but the sound isn't deafening. All in all, I will drive this car until its last revolution of the engine, and when that happens I'm getting another one. The amount of gear/people/both I can haul between the roof rack and cab is great"

Can't beat it it for the $

By on Friday, July 30, 2010

"Great vehicle! The only thing that took some getting used to was the fuel economy. I have only owned 4cyl cars and was a little shocked at the not so great mileage. I have owned the xterra for about 4 years 80k and the only time it has been on a rack is for oil changes, set of tires, and a set of pads. You won't find leather, dvd players, or heated seats, but you also won't find yourself at the mechanic."

2004 Nissan xTerra SE S/C

By on Wednesday, June 09, 2010

"My dad bought this car when I was still in high school in 2005. I didn't even have my license but I'm glad I was able to acquire it. It had 25k on it and was previously driven by a single business woman. It now has around 65k on it. I have had zero issues with the engine, steering, braking, handling, or any mechanical issue. Great reliability! I surf, skate, snowboard, bike, and do every sport. It is extremely versatile and in all weather conditions. Exterior-wise.. it is the classic look, not the new more lego-like build. It doesn't look outdated. Interior.. plain. not ugly. simple. ease of use is essential. Rockford Fosgate sound system is absolutely amazing for stock!! I do have a few cons that I wish Nissan couldve addressed: the 50/50 fold down seat rather than the 60/40. no mp3 hardwire capability with the RF system. seats could be a bit more comfortable on longer rides. and finally gas cost is rather high. does well on the freeway, but city driving seems to kill it. Overall the xTerra is a great reliable fun car to drive. Great for offroading even in 2wd. very utilitarian. perfect for people who are adventurous!"

2001 XTerra 4x4 XE V6 (Silver)

By on Friday, December 11, 2009

"I have had my Xterra (new purchase) since I got out of college, and it has been awesome. Mechanically, it has been very reliable. It has 118000 miles on it, and besides routine maintenance, the only major things I have had to fix over the years were the power windows (Nissan recall), and the power steering pump that just went out this year. My only gripes with it have been the get-up-and-go when passing on a two lane (maybe due to the extra weight of the brush guard and hitch), and the fuel economy. The positives outweigh these gripes by far. The weight and turn radius allow the XTerra to be very maneuverable, and the 4x4 with good clearance have always allowed me to get where I needed to go in sand and snow."

Superb Reliability

By on Monday, November 16, 2009

"Love this SUV. I have the 4 cylinder, which doesn't have much get-up-n-go around town but easily pulls my 2000 pound trailer - even up Tioga Pass into the backside of Yosemite. The only problems I've had after 7 years of ownership are a leak from the top of the transmission which was easily fixed with a new tie-wrap and the headliner has just started to sag. Even though I don't have 4x4, it handles really well in the snow and the clearance is awesome for deep snow and dirt roads. I would definitely recommend this vehicle especially over a JEEP since they get such poor reliability ratings."

Good for towing, trips

By on Saturday, September 12, 2009

"I have had this vehicle for over six years, and usually only use it on weekends and for relatively long drives of at least 40 miles at a time. I have towed small to medium trailers, and a few larger loads. I usually don't even notice the trailer is there, performance-wise. Gas mileage is not great, usually around 17, and does not vary much whether towing or not, but again you cannot haul a 3,000 pound load of lumber with a Rogue or Versa, so it's a trade-off. The factory tires are not very tough, I suffered rock cuts in the tread and had to replace two of them with half the tread life left from a short but slow drive on a dirt road. Due to mostly highway driving, the wear and tear is small compared to most of this age. If it got 20 MPG, it would be the best SUV out there IMO. There have been no repairs needed, other than routine scheduled maintenance, and one recall a few years ago."

Love this car.

By on Tuesday, July 28, 2009

"I have a 2000 SE and bought it in 2003 with 8K miles on it. I now have 73K which is pretty good for a car that is 10 years old. Every now and then I get the urge to replace it, but it's paid off and with a yearly detail, it is just as good as the day I bought it."

The Real SUV

By on Tuesday, June 16, 2009

"Bought my xterra new in 2000. It has 160k miles now. Never had a problem with it. Sure, it could use a bigger engine, could have handled better on the freeway, but when you hit dirt, mud and snow, all is forgotten. If your main purpose is to shuttle kids around town, look else where. But if you need a real suv to handle the off roads, you have come to the right place."

Outstanding!!!

By on Friday, February 08, 2008

"265,000 miles and 7+ years. I drove it off the show room floor and only done normal needed repairs. Excellent truck and still going strong. I will get 300,000+ miles out of her...."

Great Value

By on Monday, December 03, 2007

"I love my xterra, costs very little to maintain. Lasts for a lot of mileage, i have close to 200k and it still runs perfect. The engine compartment, however, is a little noisy. otherwise a very confortable vehicle."

Decent, but a little big for it's engine

By on Sunday, November 04, 2007

"Very nice car, big, rides well, but that little 3.3 just isn't quite enough engine to move 4400 pounds, my old jeep that only weighed 3400 pounds had a 4.0 and a 5 speed, and frankly, 1000 less pounds and 10 more horsepower made quite a difference, also, the 4 speed automatic seems to really tone-down the x-terra's performance, also, drum brakes on a car made in 04, a little low-tech if you ask me!!!overall, really nice, just a little underpowered!!!"

not as reliable as I thought it would be

By on Tuesday, September 18, 2007

"Ran across major problems at about 80,000 miles...I thought Nissan's would last a little longer than that. Major overheating problems, needed a new catalytic converter, lost a lot of power and kind of got pretty rattle-y and old fast....kind of more like you would think a domestic vehicle would do!!"

Love This Car!

By on Monday, August 27, 2007

"This is probably the most reliable and all around best car I've ever driven. I have a 2000 XE with nearly 215,000 miles and have yet to have any minor/major problems. This vehicle is almost everything I could need and has given me many years of faithful service!"

Pretty good vehicle

By on Wednesday, July 15, 2015

"I bought it new in 2004. Other than a pully shaft under the engine being replaced (cost about 500.) I have had no problems. 4 wheel drive is nice to have."

Best vehicle will get another one. Love it!

By on Saturday, September 01, 2012

Pros: "Great deal on a used xterra, looks sporty."

"I have moved and loaded washer, drier, dressers and alot more. I don't need a truck it is able to hall everything."

ONE OF THE BEST CARS IVE OWNED

By on Friday, August 31, 2012

"the only bad things that i have to say about this car is that when they reach higher mileage they need work but they are still very runnable and great to have especailly for kids in sports. TAKE CARE OF IT AND IT WILL TAKE CARE OF YOU. drives great. rides great. if you are thinking about getting this car, stop thinking. just get it!"

I LOVE my Xterra!

By on Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Pros: "Fun, looks cool, reliable."

Cons: "Rides a little rough."

"I still come out to my Xterra and smile when I look at it. Very reliable; nothing but oil changes and regular maintainance type work since I bought it. Comfortable, roomy, stadium seating in the rear, lots of room for transporting from groceries to plants and building materials. I still get comments from strangers- a timeless design."