2004 Nissan Xterra

Based on 570 Ratings for the 2000 - 2004 models.

218,000 miles strong

By on Friday, August 07, 2009

"We bought a 2000 XE in 2005 w/ 98,000 and have put over 100,000 miles in 4 years, including quite a few miles in 4wheel. She's still going strong and we love her. She could certainly go a little quicker up the big hills on the interstate, but when you put her in 4-low she'll crawl her way over anything it's sensible to drive up, and we're talking some of the worst, two track, off-camber roads in the lower 48. She's been to just over 20 states, withstood the heat of Arizona and the cold of Montana. We've had to replace a fuel injector and do a little work on the exhaust system cause the previous owner let the underside rust up a fair bit, but otherwise she's going strong. We also do quite a bit of work on her ourselves, it's a bit of a hassle to change the oil as you have to remove the skid plate, but changing the transmission fluid is easy enough and the shocks aren't so bad... brake rotors rust up pretty quick, but again, that might have been the previous owners not dealing with the salt in the midwest :( She's been a pretty easy vehicle to sort out and handle regular maintenance on our own, but if you drive a lot of gravel roads, put some lock-tite on the skid plate bolts as it's easy to loose those guys when you're not being careful!"

Buy One-Even Used!!

By on Wednesday, November 06, 2013

Pros: "solid Reliability"

Cons: "gas milage. passing power"

"I am the 2nd owner of this car. I bought it with 22000 miles on it. The truck has been solid!! I put a K&N Cool Air Intake and It made the pick-up and gas milage better. It also eliminated the knock when passing someone when using low grade gas. Over all I have about $2000 into the car since Ive bought it in 2004. Typical replacement parts such a the altenator, starter, timing belt and water pump were replaced after the 200K mark as a precationary measure. Had to drop $600 to repair the a/c but other than that this thing just keeps going. If you own this truck, use nothing but synthetic in the transmission and engine oil and change regulary. I do mine about every 5K miles. This by far has been the most reliable car I have ever owned. I typically drive more than 17k miles a year in Florida."

I'm 60 - my FAVORITE car ever!

By on Friday, September 21, 2012

Pros: "Reliable, huge cargo area, will go in any weather."

Cons: "Not so great on gas mileage."

"This is the most versitile car I've ever owned. It will go up my 45 degree incline driveway in snow. It has such a huge cargo space - both wide and tall - that it will haul just about anything I have ever tried to put in it. I have moved myself once (7 rooms worth) and my parents twice(5 rooms worth). Only had to pay someone else to move the large appliances and an oversized china cabinet. All other furniture could be moved with the Xterra - saved HUNDREDS of dollars in moving and delivery over the years. It's 13 years old and still a work horse. Not likely to get rid of it until it drops out from under me."

Great Vehicel

By on Friday, January 11, 2013

Pros: "Realiable, Durable, and a BEAST!!"

Cons: "Bad on Gas mileage!"

"I love my Xterra! It has NEVER left me hangin! The ONLY complaint i have with this vehicle is the fact that the gas mileage just isnt great! Its wonderful for a first time driver I think! Im 25 and have had it for the past 6 years! Ive made a few repairs like my radiator but not because of something i did! A big truck threw a rock and put a hole in it! It was so simple to replace and cheap! All I do is keep up the oil changes and the fluids up on my car and it gets me where i need to go! The bumpers are defected like they get to where all the black on the bumper wears off so mine isnt that attractive in the front but its a beast! It NEVER lets me down! Its ALSO 2 wheel drive and well im a country girl so i like the mud and granted its NEVER GOTTEN STUCK! haha!"

Piece of junk

By on Thursday, September 06, 2012

Pros: "super charger is nice"

Cons: "expensive to repair"

"this car has cost me more in maintenance than any car i've ever owned. it's been recalled several times with each fix causing more problems (also not covered by the recall) every time i take the car in for general maintenance i end up having to replace something else. i've spent enough money on this car to pay for it 3 times over."