2004 Nissan Xterra

Based on 551 Ratings for the 2000 - 2004 models.

I love it

By on Friday, May 23, 2014

Pros: "seat size/height, comfort, radio, great in 4WD"

Cons: "poor mpg, too low horsepower"

"Bought it new in 2001. Am sorry it will need replacing in years to come since it is already 13 years old. Had very few problems. Have replaced all 4 window regulators finally. Back brakes at 68K. Tires at 60K. Love the height of the seats -- can easily slide in and out without the running boards. I love the cloth seat covers which are removable for washing. The Nissan stereo has tremendous speakers. The whole car can shake with the bass. My complaint is the lousy 16 mgp city/hwy. Goes 270 miles on a tank. Not very fast on the uptake, but I can come quick off the line with planning. During blizzards it went through 3ft drifts easily. I felt very safe in it. Never got stuck when others were mired down."

work horse

By on Sunday, May 11, 2014

Pros: "work horse"

Cons: "uncomfortable back seat"

"Bought this used and it has rarely failed me. It can tow 2300 lbs on the roughest terrain through mud and snow.It was driven daily up and down mountain roads through snow sleet and rain.This vehicle can take a beating and keep on running.I can imagine that these bought new must be woth the price.I got my moneys worth."

Perfect College Car

By on Monday, April 21, 2014

Pros: "Solid truck suspension, reliable, hauler"

Cons: "Gas mileage"

"Bought this car two years ago with 165,000 miles on it for our older son and handed his Accord down to our younger son. This Xterra has been a wonderful car for college. It has plenty of interior room to haul all of his stuff back and forth, it's very solid due to it's Frontier truck frame, and it will go anywhere in any weather; it's been thru 12" snows with no issue. We have had no mechanical issues with it and the engine runs smooth as silk. Gas mileage could be better, but it's an acceptable tradeoff for the ruggedness, hauling capability, and 4WD."

Finding it Hard to Part With

By on Thursday, March 13, 2014

Pros: "Reliable, fun to drive, great 4x4, looks cool"

Cons: "Bad gas mileage, V-6 underpowered, soft steering"

"This was my second Nissan that I took over 120,000 miles. Regular maintenance and no major repairs for the 12 years I have owned it. This 5-spd still has original clutch. Rides as tight today as when I bought it, despite driving on so many OBX beaches that started rust in hard to fix places everywhere from salty air. Rust killed back bumper and radiator hangs by the hoses. Doesn't matter. Never ever had to realign the tires or replace any front end components. I stopped repairing wear/tear items I'd usually fix (pulsing brakes, grinding throwout bearing, AC clutch) two years back anticipating replacement but the thing just keeps going. It won't die. I love it and am finding it hard to choose a replacement."

great family car really enjoyed owning one.

By on Saturday, March 08, 2014

Pros: "price can come down a little but it's worth it,"

Cons: "a little rough to drive at times but it's an suv."

"When I bought this car it was with the intention of a family car and it fit the bill. My wife has been very happy with this car and would like to get another one, yet our family has grown to a need of a much bigger car so I have to let this one go with alot of reservations but I would really like to buy this car again. I'm glad to see that it does come with a v6 standard which I would like to have because the 4 cylinder just did not have the guts to really move this heavy car down the road yet it was good on milage still needed a little more power, so I think the v6 is a great choice for nissan to move it to, overall great car and great family car."

See if you qualify for