2003 Nissan Xterra

Based on 580 Ratings for the 2000 - 2004 models.

Love My Xterra

By on Friday, November 4, 2011

Pros: "Suprisingly affordable for a durable SUV."

Cons: "None!"

"This vehicle does it all! I can haul anything from sheetrock to 5 people and all their snowboard gear!! It will go anywhere! I put BFGoodrich A/T's on and it is unstoppable. The Rockford Fosgate sound system that came stock sounds great...no upgrades needed. Long trips not a problem...seats are quite comfortable and the ride is nice! Would like a little more power and better gas mileage, but they corrected that on the newer models. I will always own an Xterra!!!"

love my xterra

By on Wednesday, October 19, 2011

"I am 6'5" tall and this is one of the best rides I have had. Lots of room for the long trips and comfortable."

Like A Tank

By on Saturday, September 18, 2010

"I've owned my Xterra since 10-04 and it has been nothing but a tank. Living in New England and enduring harsh winters with snow and salt, freezing temperatures and hot summers this Xterra is a champ. I've done simple maintanance and switched over to synthetic oil around 80k. It's not the best vehicle on gas but the Xterra gives much in bang for your buck. Cargo room, a solid 4X4 system, power and stylish looks make it a great choice for someone looking to get into an suv for the first time at a reasonable price. I also would like to mention that my Xterra came from an Enterprise rental fleet. It's a 2004 that I purchased IN 2004 with 15k. Don't let the myth of buying a previous rental vehicle sway your decision. I'm going to keep this Xterra even after i purchase my next one."

A wonderful investment

By on Monday, August 2, 2010

"I have had this car since August 2008 (Two year anniversary soon to be celebrate) with 48.8K on it and Im at about 71K as of 08/2010. The gas mileage is nothing to right home about (I get about 16/22), but once you get past that the 01 xterra is amazing. I have NEVER had trouble starting it, even in the sub zero temperatures of Illinois winters, and have only had to replace an old rusted exhaust piping downstream of the cat. The four wheel drive is crucial for the winter snow and spring mud, and there is plenty of low end torque to get you moving (also good for towing, and pulling the neighbor's cars out in the winter). That being said, passing on the highway isn't the same as it would be in a Porche, but it can be done without too much trouble. She is a little noisy on the highway, but the sound isn't deafening. All in all, I will drive this car until its last revolution of the engine, and when that happens I'm getting another one. The amount of gear/people/both I can haul between the roof rack and cab is great"

Can't beat it it for the $

By on Friday, July 30, 2010

"Great vehicle! The only thing that took some getting used to was the fuel economy. I have only owned 4cyl cars and was a little shocked at the not so great mileage. I have owned the xterra for about 4 years 80k and the only time it has been on a rack is for oil changes, set of tires, and a set of pads. You won't find leather, dvd players, or heated seats, but you also won't find yourself at the mechanic."

2004 Nissan xTerra SE S/C

By on Wednesday, June 9, 2010

"My dad bought this car when I was still in high school in 2005. I didn't even have my license but I'm glad I was able to acquire it. It had 25k on it and was previously driven by a single business woman. It now has around 65k on it. I have had zero issues with the engine, steering, braking, handling, or any mechanical issue. Great reliability! I surf, skate, snowboard, bike, and do every sport. It is extremely versatile and in all weather conditions. Exterior-wise.. it is the classic look, not the new more lego-like build. It doesn't look outdated. Interior.. plain. not ugly. simple. ease of use is essential. Rockford Fosgate sound system is absolutely amazing for stock!! I do have a few cons that I wish Nissan couldve addressed: the 50/50 fold down seat rather than the 60/40. no mp3 hardwire capability with the RF system. seats could be a bit more comfortable on longer rides. and finally gas cost is rather high. does well on the freeway, but city driving seems to kill it. Overall the xTerra is a great reliable fun car to drive. Great for offroading even in 2wd. very utilitarian. perfect for people who are adventurous!"

2001 XTerra 4x4 XE V6 (Silver)

By on Friday, December 11, 2009

"I have had my Xterra (new purchase) since I got out of college, and it has been awesome. Mechanically, it has been very reliable. It has 118000 miles on it, and besides routine maintenance, the only major things I have had to fix over the years were the power windows (Nissan recall), and the power steering pump that just went out this year. My only gripes with it have been the get-up-and-go when passing on a two lane (maybe due to the extra weight of the brush guard and hitch), and the fuel economy. The positives outweigh these gripes by far. The weight and turn radius allow the XTerra to be very maneuverable, and the 4x4 with good clearance have always allowed me to get where I needed to go in sand and snow."

Superb Reliability

By on Monday, November 16, 2009

"Love this SUV. I have the 4 cylinder, which doesn't have much get-up-n-go around town but easily pulls my 2000 pound trailer - even up Tioga Pass into the backside of Yosemite. The only problems I've had after 7 years of ownership are a leak from the top of the transmission which was easily fixed with a new tie-wrap and the headliner has just started to sag. Even though I don't have 4x4, it handles really well in the snow and the clearance is awesome for deep snow and dirt roads. I would definitely recommend this vehicle especially over a JEEP since they get such poor reliability ratings."

Good for towing, trips

By on Saturday, September 12, 2009

"I have had this vehicle for over six years, and usually only use it on weekends and for relatively long drives of at least 40 miles at a time. I have towed small to medium trailers, and a few larger loads. I usually don't even notice the trailer is there, performance-wise. Gas mileage is not great, usually around 17, and does not vary much whether towing or not, but again you cannot haul a 3,000 pound load of lumber with a Rogue or Versa, so it's a trade-off. The factory tires are not very tough, I suffered rock cuts in the tread and had to replace two of them with half the tread life left from a short but slow drive on a dirt road. Due to mostly highway driving, the wear and tear is small compared to most of this age. If it got 20 MPG, it would be the best SUV out there IMO. There have been no repairs needed, other than routine scheduled maintenance, and one recall a few years ago."

Love this car.

By on Tuesday, July 28, 2009

"I have a 2000 SE and bought it in 2003 with 8K miles on it. I now have 73K which is pretty good for a car that is 10 years old. Every now and then I get the urge to replace it, but it's paid off and with a yearly detail, it is just as good as the day I bought it."

The Real SUV

By on Tuesday, June 16, 2009

"Bought my xterra new in 2000. It has 160k miles now. Never had a problem with it. Sure, it could use a bigger engine, could have handled better on the freeway, but when you hit dirt, mud and snow, all is forgotten. If your main purpose is to shuttle kids around town, look else where. But if you need a real suv to handle the off roads, you have come to the right place."

Outstanding!!!

By on Friday, February 8, 2008

"265,000 miles and 7+ years. I drove it off the show room floor and only done normal needed repairs. Excellent truck and still going strong. I will get 300,000+ miles out of her...."

Great Value

By on Monday, December 3, 2007

"I love my xterra, costs very little to maintain. Lasts for a lot of mileage, i have close to 200k and it still runs perfect. The engine compartment, however, is a little noisy. otherwise a very confortable vehicle."

Decent, but a little big for it's engine

By on Sunday, November 4, 2007

"Very nice car, big, rides well, but that little 3.3 just isn't quite enough engine to move 4400 pounds, my old jeep that only weighed 3400 pounds had a 4.0 and a 5 speed, and frankly, 1000 less pounds and 10 more horsepower made quite a difference, also, the 4 speed automatic seems to really tone-down the x-terra's performance, also, drum brakes on a car made in 04, a little low-tech if you ask me!!!overall, really nice, just a little underpowered!!!"

not as reliable as I thought it would be

By on Tuesday, September 18, 2007

"Ran across major problems at about 80,000 miles...I thought Nissan's would last a little longer than that. Major overheating problems, needed a new catalytic converter, lost a lot of power and kind of got pretty rattle-y and old fast....kind of more like you would think a domestic vehicle would do!!"

Love This Car!

By on Monday, August 27, 2007

"This is probably the most reliable and all around best car I've ever driven. I have a 2000 XE with nearly 215,000 miles and have yet to have any minor/major problems. This vehicle is almost everything I could need and has given me many years of faithful service!"

Best Vehicle I have ever owned!

By on Friday, September 14, 2012

Pros: "Amazing 4x4, Good on gas"

Cons: "no acceleration"

"Great car. Holds it value very well. It drives like a truck and the 4x4 in it is amazing. Coming from an jeep this was an amazing find. It doesnt have very good acceleration though."

Best vehicle will get another one. Love it!

By on Saturday, September 1, 2012

Pros: "Great deal on a used xterra, looks sporty."

"I have moved and loaded washer, drier, dressers and alot more. I don't need a truck it is able to hall everything."

ONE OF THE BEST CARS IVE OWNED

By on Friday, August 31, 2012

"the only bad things that i have to say about this car is that when they reach higher mileage they need work but they are still very runnable and great to have especailly for kids in sports. TAKE CARE OF IT AND IT WILL TAKE CARE OF YOU. drives great. rides great. if you are thinking about getting this car, stop thinking. just get it!"

I LOVE my Xterra!

By on Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Pros: "Fun, looks cool, reliable."

Cons: "Rides a little rough."

"I still come out to my Xterra and smile when I look at it. Very reliable; nothing but oil changes and regular maintainance type work since I bought it. Comfortable, roomy, stadium seating in the rear, lots of room for transporting from groceries to plants and building materials. I still get comments from strangers- a timeless design."

Never Broken down in 3 years....

By on Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Pros: "Low maintenance cost, muscular look"

Cons: "Poor MPG"

"its a great SUV. I only wish nissan could improve on its gas mileage. Tows great,"

Good SUV for the money!

By on Thursday, December 22, 2011

"For an SUV it turns on a dime! Very spacious cargo room in the rear and the fold down rear seats allow for 6 feet of total rear space. The gas mileage is pretty good for a V6. Overall I would definitely recommend it."

reliable work horse

By on Sunday, September 25, 2011

Pros: "good price, and easy to drive"

Cons: "have to remove seats to allow for storage space"

"I've owned an xterra for 10yrs. Never had an issue mechanically. Traveled on trips of 2k miles at a time and it was very comfortable. Drives like a sedan. Will carry just about anything on the roof rack and inside once the seats are folded."

A fantastic vehicle!

By on Friday, September 16, 2011

Pros: "Reliable"

Cons: "Poor gas mileage"

"I got this car brand new in 2004 and have driven it through Arizona deserts, Wisconsin snow, and highways in between. I've had no major issues! Just the usual maintenance. I love this car. It is simple and outdoorsy like me. There are no bells and whistles, just an off-roading, reliable vehicle - with a great sound system I might add (Rockford Fosgate). I've found that I don't take it off-road as much as I imagined when I bought it. So I am ready to trade it in for something with better gas mileage since I drive in the city a lot. I could go for something with a slight bit more luxury, but I know I will miss this car. I love it!"

Typical Nissan Workhorse

By on Tuesday, February 22, 2011

"My Xterra has been a work horse. From Hauling kids to band gear to construction supplies, I have not been disappointed. Though the 2002 non supercharged v6's could have used a bit more HP and the suspension is a little hard, I can say, as she's just about to hit the 200,000 mile mark, this truck has been a champion."