2002 Nissan Xterra

Based on 552 Ratings for the 2000 - 2004 models.

It's been a good car

By on Monday, July 28, 2014

Pros: "Dependable, good looking"

Cons: "Poor design on back seat fold down."

"I don't like the way that the back seat folds down.. You have to remove the seat portion, there is nowhere inside the car to store them, and then the back portion folds down, but not completely flat. Also the back seat is not real comfortable. Other little things, like the power supply covers are little plastic peices that do not stay in place, and the headliner has dropped down, I've always driven my cars for 10+ years and this is the first one I've had this issue with. It has been a good car for me though, gotten me over 125000 miles, lots of trips."

Greatest car I've ever owned

By on Monday, July 07, 2014

Pros: "fun to drive, love off-roading"

Cons: "horrible gas milage (9mpg)"

"This car is amazing. I've owned this car since september, and absolutely love it. I take it off roading all the time, and am amazed at how well it handles. great all around vehicle, and will definitely own another one again."

Best, most reliable vehicle we've ever owned

By on Saturday, July 05, 2014

Pros: "Good price, very reliable"

Cons: "not comfortable or powerful enough for long trips"

"This has been the vehicle we've owned the longest. We love it, it's our everyday vehicle, best on gas and maneuvering into tight spots. We own other model vehicles and still love the XTerra the best!!"

encountered a lot of problems...

By on Wednesday, July 02, 2014

Pros: "good size, great for off-roading, cute exterior"

Cons: "everything else."

"I purchased this car after my sister got one and loved hers. I fell in love with mine shortly after buying, but the quality of the car progressively got worse. I never had an accident or wreck, yet the car started rattling and messing up. The alternator is shot and the transmission is in terrible condition. I can't stay at a drive thru without my car overheating in the 5 minutes it takes to pay for and receive my dinner. Overall, I wouldn't even recommend this car to my worst enemy."

Couldn't ask for a better vehicle

By on Sunday, June 29, 2014

Pros: "Most reliable, maintenance free vehicle I've owned"

Cons: "A/C is failing"

"The 2003 Nissan Xterra was by far the best SUV I have ever owned. Relatively maintenance free (besides the required oil and routine fluids being changed), this vehicle has been safe and reliable the entire time I've owned it. As the original owner, I put all the miles on it, from the 7 driving off the lot to the 238K now."

BUY IT! CAN'T GO WRONG WITH THIS TRUCK!

By on Tuesday, June 24, 2014

"Best vehicle I've owned. It comes with everything you need, nothing you don't. I will never want to sell this Xterra."

I love it

By on Friday, May 23, 2014

Pros: "seat size/height, comfort, radio, great in 4WD"

Cons: "poor mpg, too low horsepower"

"Bought it new in 2001. Am sorry it will need replacing in years to come since it is already 13 years old. Had very few problems. Have replaced all 4 window regulators finally. Back brakes at 68K. Tires at 60K. Love the height of the seats -- can easily slide in and out without the running boards. I love the cloth seat covers which are removable for washing. The Nissan stereo has tremendous speakers. The whole car can shake with the bass. My complaint is the lousy 16 mgp city/hwy. Goes 270 miles on a tank. Not very fast on the uptake, but I can come quick off the line with planning. During blizzards it went through 3ft drifts easily. I felt very safe in it. Never got stuck when others were mired down."

work horse

By on Sunday, May 11, 2014

Pros: "work horse"

Cons: "uncomfortable back seat"

"Bought this used and it has rarely failed me. It can tow 2300 lbs on the roughest terrain through mud and snow.It was driven daily up and down mountain roads through snow sleet and rain.This vehicle can take a beating and keep on running.I can imagine that these bought new must be woth the price.I got my moneys worth."

Perfect College Car

By on Monday, April 21, 2014

Pros: "Solid truck suspension, reliable, hauler"

Cons: "Gas mileage"

"Bought this car two years ago with 165,000 miles on it for our older son and handed his Accord down to our younger son. This Xterra has been a wonderful car for college. It has plenty of interior room to haul all of his stuff back and forth, it's very solid due to it's Frontier truck frame, and it will go anywhere in any weather; it's been thru 12" snows with no issue. We have had no mechanical issues with it and the engine runs smooth as silk. Gas mileage could be better, but it's an acceptable tradeoff for the ruggedness, hauling capability, and 4WD."

Finding it Hard to Part With

By on Thursday, March 13, 2014

Pros: "Reliable, fun to drive, great 4x4, looks cool"

Cons: "Bad gas mileage, V-6 underpowered, soft steering"

"This was my second Nissan that I took over 120,000 miles. Regular maintenance and no major repairs for the 12 years I have owned it. This 5-spd still has original clutch. Rides as tight today as when I bought it, despite driving on so many OBX beaches that started rust in hard to fix places everywhere from salty air. Rust killed back bumper and radiator hangs by the hoses. Doesn't matter. Never ever had to realign the tires or replace any front end components. I stopped repairing wear/tear items I'd usually fix (pulsing brakes, grinding throwout bearing, AC clutch) two years back anticipating replacement but the thing just keeps going. It won't die. I love it and am finding it hard to choose a replacement."