2002 Nissan Xterra

Based on 569 Ratings for the 2000 - 2004 models.

218,000 miles strong

By on Friday, August 07, 2009

"We bought a 2000 XE in 2005 w/ 98,000 and have put over 100,000 miles in 4 years, including quite a few miles in 4wheel. She's still going strong and we love her. She could certainly go a little quicker up the big hills on the interstate, but when you put her in 4-low she'll crawl her way over anything it's sensible to drive up, and we're talking some of the worst, two track, off-camber roads in the lower 48. She's been to just over 20 states, withstood the heat of Arizona and the cold of Montana. We've had to replace a fuel injector and do a little work on the exhaust system cause the previous owner let the underside rust up a fair bit, but otherwise she's going strong. We also do quite a bit of work on her ourselves, it's a bit of a hassle to change the oil as you have to remove the skid plate, but changing the transmission fluid is easy enough and the shocks aren't so bad... brake rotors rust up pretty quick, but again, that might have been the previous owners not dealing with the salt in the midwest :( She's been a pretty easy vehicle to sort out and handle regular maintenance on our own, but if you drive a lot of gravel roads, put some lock-tite on the skid plate bolts as it's easy to loose those guys when you're not being careful!"

Buy One-Even Used!!

By on Wednesday, November 06, 2013

Pros: "solid Reliability"

Cons: "gas milage. passing power"

"I am the 2nd owner of this car. I bought it with 22000 miles on it. The truck has been solid!! I put a K&N Cool Air Intake and It made the pick-up and gas milage better. It also eliminated the knock when passing someone when using low grade gas. Over all I have about $2000 into the car since Ive bought it in 2004. Typical replacement parts such a the altenator, starter, timing belt and water pump were replaced after the 200K mark as a precationary measure. Had to drop $600 to repair the a/c but other than that this thing just keeps going. If you own this truck, use nothing but synthetic in the transmission and engine oil and change regulary. I do mine about every 5K miles. This by far has been the most reliable car I have ever owned. I typically drive more than 17k miles a year in Florida."

I'm 60 - my FAVORITE car ever!

By on Friday, September 21, 2012

Pros: "Reliable, huge cargo area, will go in any weather."

Cons: "Not so great on gas mileage."

"This is the most versitile car I've ever owned. It will go up my 45 degree incline driveway in snow. It has such a huge cargo space - both wide and tall - that it will haul just about anything I have ever tried to put in it. I have moved myself once (7 rooms worth) and my parents twice(5 rooms worth). Only had to pay someone else to move the large appliances and an oversized china cabinet. All other furniture could be moved with the Xterra - saved HUNDREDS of dollars in moving and delivery over the years. It's 13 years old and still a work horse. Not likely to get rid of it until it drops out from under me."

Great Vehicel

By on Friday, January 11, 2013

Pros: "Realiable, Durable, and a BEAST!!"

Cons: "Bad on Gas mileage!"

"I love my Xterra! It has NEVER left me hangin! The ONLY complaint i have with this vehicle is the fact that the gas mileage just isnt great! Its wonderful for a first time driver I think! Im 25 and have had it for the past 6 years! Ive made a few repairs like my radiator but not because of something i did! A big truck threw a rock and put a hole in it! It was so simple to replace and cheap! All I do is keep up the oil changes and the fluids up on my car and it gets me where i need to go! The bumpers are defected like they get to where all the black on the bumper wears off so mine isnt that attractive in the front but its a beast! It NEVER lets me down! Its ALSO 2 wheel drive and well im a country girl so i like the mud and granted its NEVER GOTTEN STUCK! haha!"

110k miles and going strong

By on Thursday, May 27, 2010

"I purchased this SUV in 2005 with 22k miles on it already (2003 model). This vehicle is excellent on the beach, in the snow, general off-road, and just plain driving. My friends with similar sized SUV's (Explorers, Trailblazers, etc.) always get stuck in that mid-summer, baby powder-consistency sand, even when they air down. My Xterra has only been stuck in the sand once, and that was when it was driving behind a super slow truck going up a 30 degree incline sand dune, and even then, all that was needed was to air down a little more, and rock it from reverse to drive a few times. No manual excavation necessary. This ONLY complaint I have is the gas mileage...it is pretty awful, but that was to be expected, with it being underpowered and relatively heavy. It gets about 18mpg hwy and 13mpg street. Other than that, the car gives a somewhat bumpy ride, but again, this is expected since it is an SUV. The interior is very roomy, and driving is extremely comfortable. I do not mind long road trips (I drive an hour to and from work every day, so my idea of "long" might be a tad bit biased). Not much has been needed to be replaced, only the battery, brakes/rotors/calipers, and air-filter that was upgraded to a K&N. Also, what I love about this SUV is that there are so many ways to accessorize the vehicle to make it unique. This car is EXTREMELY reliable, and has never failed me by not starting, unless I have left the lights on or something. I highly recommend this SUV to anyone who enjoys the outdoors, but not so much to the long-distance commuter. Reliability, ruggedness and super comfortable - all in this SUV, and for not nearly as much money as comparable ones."