2001 Nissan Xterra

Based on 570 Ratings for the 2000 - 2004 models.

Never Broken down in 3 years....

By on Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Pros: "Low maintenance cost, muscular look"

Cons: "Poor MPG"

"its a great SUV. I only wish nissan could improve on its gas mileage. Tows great,"

Good SUV for the money!

By on Thursday, December 22, 2011

"For an SUV it turns on a dime! Very spacious cargo room in the rear and the fold down rear seats allow for 6 feet of total rear space. The gas mileage is pretty good for a V6. Overall I would definitely recommend it."

A fantastic vehicle!

By on Friday, September 16, 2011

Pros: "Reliable"

Cons: "Poor gas mileage"

"I got this car brand new in 2004 and have driven it through Arizona deserts, Wisconsin snow, and highways in between. I've had no major issues! Just the usual maintenance. I love this car. It is simple and outdoorsy like me. There are no bells and whistles, just an off-roading, reliable vehicle - with a great sound system I might add (Rockford Fosgate). I've found that I don't take it off-road as much as I imagined when I bought it. So I am ready to trade it in for something with better gas mileage since I drive in the city a lot. I could go for something with a slight bit more luxury, but I know I will miss this car. I love it!"

Typical Nissan Workhorse

By on Tuesday, February 22, 2011

"My Xterra has been a work horse. From Hauling kids to band gear to construction supplies, I have not been disappointed. Though the 2002 non supercharged v6's could have used a bit more HP and the suspension is a little hard, I can say, as she's just about to hit the 200,000 mile mark, this truck has been a champion."

Coolest car I have ever owned

By on Saturday, February 05, 2011

"My Xterra has been reliable and very inexpensive to maintain. I like the style and its preformance. The gas milage could be better."

best vehicle

By on Monday, August 02, 2010

"This is the best vehicle that I have ever owned. Have had no problems for 173,000 miles. Holds its style. Still looks great after 10 yrs of usage."

Best SUV

By on Friday, July 30, 2010

"I bought my Nissan Xteraa brand new in 2004. I love this car more than anything. I have put 97,500 miles on her. The only repairs ive had to do is reagular maintenance. Oil changes, brakes, etc. This is the most reliable car i've had. Great sports performance as well.ts"

By on Sunday, July 11, 2010

"I am the original owner of a 2003 Xterra. It has been a very reliable and fun to own. The only down side of the Xterra is the lack of power and rough ride. If you can handle that, I would say go get one!"

Great Buy

By on Saturday, May 01, 2010

"I've had this car a little over a year now, and drive across the state of Texas about every 3 weeks. This car hesitates for nothing - and it is very quiet on and off the road. Overall I would have to say this car is near perfection - lots of space inside (I am a college student and can fill the Xterra with a 4.3" cu. mini-fridge, bedding, etc. ), the performance is uncomplain-able as well. The only negative thing about the car is GAS MILLAGE. I travel non-stop for about 4 hours and get an average of 23 MPG highway, however I only get about 14 in the city. If your looking to get a good SUV for a young adult who has a lot of friends (lots of interior space for passenger - front and back) or has to load a lot of stuff (plenty of cargo room) then this is a perfect choice. Just be prepared to make gas stops frequently, especially if you live in the city."

Perfect Midsize SUV

By on Thursday, December 03, 2009

"I've had my 2004 Xterra for a few years now and it's been great to me. The only maintenance that it has ever needed are oil changes; there has never been even a minor problem. Very reliable, never has trouble getting through snow or going off-road. Only drawback is less-than-stellar gas mileage, but if you're getting an SUV then you are ready to deal with that. I'd definitely recommend it. I actually went with an '04 over a newer model because from '05 onwards the body was changed and now they look like tanks and I didn't enjoy that test drive as much. Older models are a little smaller and remind me of my ol' '95 4Runner. (New 4Runners are tanks now too!). Buy an Xterra without reservation!"

Great SUV

By on Tuesday, October 14, 2008

"Even for someone like me who does no off road driving, this is a great vehicle. For five years I have driven it through a snowy Maine winter and have NEVER gone off the road or had any problems. I do regular oil changes and maintenance, but have never needed anything extra done. GREAT VEHICLE!"

Ready to Go

By on Saturday, October 11, 2008

"This vehicle has never caused a problem. It always starts, requires little maintenance, and gets us compliments wherever we go. Total comfort for the back and gives a quiet but sporty ride. We have had it for eight years and it still runs well and looks great!"

tenacious xterra

By on Sunday, February 10, 2008

"I have had a love/hate affair with my Xterra since day one. Its been very reliable- I drive 80 miles a day to work in it; and have taken it out of state several times too. I have had 3 accidents in it and hit a deer; but its kept on going (after body work). I love the manual transmission, very easy to drive. I HATE the ABS system. I hate the mileage it gets. But its nice to know you can sleep in it comfortably, after becoming homeless trying to keep gas in it!"

Outstanding Vehicle

By on Tuesday, January 08, 2008

"We bought our 2001 Xterra new and my wife has driven it to work (170 mile round trip daily). We have over 222,000 miles on it with out a single problem. It has been a fun vehicle."

do not buy

By on Tuesday, November 27, 2007

"I have owned the 2001 xterra for 5 years now and all that I can say is what a gas hog this thing is..I finally got it paid off and I cant wait to get rid of this thing This is the poorest quality engine that nissan has ever made..Its so under powered It is rediculous. It is good in the snow."

I love my Xterra!

By on Monday, October 29, 2007

"I own a 2003 model which I bought in '05 when I lived in CO. It handles great in the snow and is so much fun off road! I have the 3.3L V6, which is underpowered for this truck. It's terribly slow on take off and it gets horrible gas mileage. However, I didn't buy it because it got excellent gas mileage, I bought it because it's a Nissan and it will last forever. I have over 100K miles on my truck and it hasn't slowed down one bit - it just keeps on going. I've had to replace the battery once and the front brakes twice in two years. I've driven it across the country and back twice with no problems."

Has NEVER let me sit. Handles well on dirt roads.

By on Tuesday, July 28, 2015

Pros: "Good in snow and on dirt roads.Goes anywhere."

Cons: "Hard to get in and out of. Running boards help."

"Love this car. I am older now and need something smaller and easier to get in and out of. Has been the best car I have every owned."

Best Vehicle I have ever owned!

By on Friday, September 14, 2012

Pros: "Amazing 4x4, Good on gas"

Cons: "no acceleration"

"Great car. Holds it value very well. It drives like a truck and the 4x4 in it is amazing. Coming from an jeep this was an amazing find. It doesnt have very good acceleration though."

Ok vehicle

By on Thursday, September 06, 2012

Pros: "Handles great, and great in harsh winters"

Cons: "gas mileage and not enuff power"

"Ok, so I like the vehicle but there is things i do not like. CONS: the v6 in this vehicle i believe is not enough engine for the vehicle. Gas mileage is poor and not much for power. Feels like its working really hard to accelerate on the highway. I think the vehicle is too heavy for this v6 to push around efficiently. If it had a nice v8 in it i'm thinking it would get same or better gas mileage and have some power to play with. Pros: It looks cool. Gets around great in nd winters, the ground clearance and 4wd really shine in the harsh winters here. It's been a reliable vehicle, no major repairs have been needed."

Great and Reliable, However

By on Friday, March 30, 2012

"This has been a great vehicle however I do have one complaint. that is the Gas mileage is terrible 16-18mpg otherwise a great reliable vehicle"

Great suv. Lots of power and great 4 wheel drive!

By on Thursday, March 22, 2012

"fuel hog but runs great. One set of brakes and rotors thus far. Alot of power. Great in 4 wheel drive but very loose in two wheel drive due to the power. WE HAD VERY LITTLE MAINT. Original plugs rear brakes. Did replace the battery. Great suv. Will buy again."

Awesome Car

By on Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Pros: "Great in snow! Lots of cargo space. Powerful."

Cons: "Fuel Economy is low."

"I love my Xterra. It suits me very well where I live. It is great in bad weather especially in snow. The only con is low fuel economy but other than that this is a great SUV."

Reliable and good off the road. Made well. Bad mpg

By on Sunday, January 08, 2012

Pros: "4wd, reliable, enjoyable to drive"

Cons: "poor mpg. isnt powerful unless in higher rpms"

"Had to rebuild the transmission as well as other regular maintenance. exhaust manifold is also cracked which is a very common problem with these trucks. valve cover gasket may be seeping oil as well. so far not an issue. i get around 13-16 mpg depending on how i drive. i do have mud tires and a heavy bumper which isnt helping. it also isnt very powerful for a 6 cylinder but the trade off is its a very reliable engine. everything else is stock but its great for 4wheeling. never got stuck or had any problems. only thing im disappointed about is it doesnt have a solid axle in the front. also its relatively top heavy (never came close to rolling or tipping though)"

Best for the price!

By on Saturday, January 07, 2012

Pros: "price was good, fun car to take off road."

Cons: "no real cons"

"Best car I have ever owned price wise. Can turn on a dime and can navigate any weather conditions. Since this is not an expensive car I didn't mind taking it on rough muddy or icy roads. Very dependable, just had one instance when the car stalled and it was not a big problem just a loose wire. Not a luxury car on the inside, very basic."

Nice all around SUV

By on Friday, January 06, 2012

Pros: "Off road it excels"

Cons: "Needs power of the 05 generation X"

"I love this SUV. It is not a grocery getter, but an activity vehicle. Off road it is great and it drives average on the road. A definite buy."