2001 Nissan Xterra

Based on 562 Ratings for the 2000 - 2004 models.

My second Nissan

By on Monday, July 02, 2012

Pros: "Cost less then toyotas"

Cons: "Need to improve on the mpg"

"My first I had for 15 years ,this one has 12 I just get tired of driving the same thing for so many years , it's a good investment . Next I hope to get a G35"

Never Broken down in 3 years....

By on Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Pros: "Low maintenance cost, muscular look"

Cons: "Poor MPG"

"its a great SUV. I only wish nissan could improve on its gas mileage. Tows great,"

My favorite vehicle ever!

By on Thursday, April 05, 2012

Pros: "Roomy interior, great bang for your buck, fun!"

Cons: "lousy gas milage, loud interior noise on hwy"

"Except for the lousy gas mileage, I love this car. As a landscaper, I have plenty of room for plants, tools and supplies. When I had kids at home, there was always plenty of room for them. I had the basic sound system and it did well for 10 years when the CD player finally gave up but the radio still works fine. I've bought several sets of tires, had the oil and basic maintenance taken care of regularly. For many years, our driveway was a mess: a quarter of a mile of rock and gulley every time it rained. In spite of this, this car has been very low-maintenance, dependable as the sunrise. I would definately buy a new one if Nissan made one with a better MPG rating."

2003 Xterra reliable and fun for active families

By on Tuesday, April 03, 2012

Pros: "Reliable, roomy, fun to drive, great looking NICE"

Cons: "Gas mileage is not so good - but we got used to it"

"We bought this car in 2005 when we had a new addition to the family. We no longer fit comfortably in our smaller car or our pick up truck. So this was a very good option. My husband was very picky about the smaller SUV's because he thought some of them looked feminine and the Xterra seemed a little more rugged. We both agreed it was a very cool looking suv. I cannot believe it's almost 10 years old. The way it runs is the same as the day I bought it and I bet it lasts another 10 years or more. We have had one issue with it, the air conditioning went out in 2009 and we had to have it fixed. Apparently this is common do to a hose that isn't designed well on the A/C for this car. But other than that, the only things I've had to do to maintain is change the oil, brakes twice, and bought a new set of tires in 2009 which replaced the stock tires. It's seen several road trips to the beach, to Nashville, to Charleston, and we drive it through the Blue Ridge Mountains every year when we go camping. The Xterra is a great vehicle for families who love to camp or take trips to the beach! Stock cd/radio and speakers sound great. In fact, I am very impressed with the sound system in this car. I really cannot say enough good things about it, it drives well and it's never let me down...not even once. If you're in the market for a smaller SUV, I highly recommend you consider the Xterra."

i love my Xterra. my 2nd Nissan...

By on Monday, April 02, 2012

Pros: "comf, versatile"

Cons: "mpg"

"first nissan - 95 pathfinder, lasted to 283000 miles, so i got another Nissan when it finally went. 2001 Xterra, but its getting old now, and i'm sure the texas heat doesn't help. starting to look for a replacement... :("

Excellent.

By on Sunday, April 01, 2012

Cons: "no aux jack"

"Love it. Bought it used, one of the few with leather. Very happy"

best vehicle i have ever owned

By on Sunday, April 01, 2012

Pros: "very fun to drive, and very good day to day driver"

Cons: "bulky and heavy. takes some getting used too."

"Best vehicle I have ever owned. I've previously owned a dodge status, and a Ford F150( in that order) and I can tell out of the two previously stated the xterra is a way better vehicle. Could have a bit more power, but that's all I can really find negative about THE X......coming up at just about 205,000 mi. On the O.G. motor and she is still purring like a lil kitty. Little to no power lost, no rough idling , and low cost for replacement parts makes this suv a sure winner."

I love my xterra, very dependable.

By on Friday, March 30, 2012

Pros: "Great off road vehical to have some family fun."

Cons: "Gas milage is not the best in it's class."

"My Xterra has been the best go-to vehical I have ever owned. Very reliable and dependable. I've had it from new and I have only had to do maintenance (oil change, brakes, tires) to keep running in top shape. Very sturdy off road and on the pavement. Keeps me feeling safe on the road."

Great and Reliable, However

By on Friday, March 30, 2012

"This has been a great vehicle however I do have one complaint. that is the Gas mileage is terrible 16-18mpg otherwise a great reliable vehicle"

luv it :)

By on Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Pros: "Its very dependable. and I luv the 4X4"

Cons: "Hard to find parts, expencive to repair."

"I love my car. Everything about it. It has very high miles and has needed next to no work. (Other than miner problems with the four wheel drive)The only thing I dislike about it, Is how fast the blue book value dropped. I paid blue book for it and it dropped over 2,000 in less than a year. At this point I owe more than its worth."

good vehicle

By on Monday, March 26, 2012

Pros: "reliable, good looking"

Cons: "under powered, gas mileage"

"overall I am happy with my xterra. Owned it over a year now and put almost 30k miles on it. enjoyable to drive, reliable, and great looking car. only things I'm not happy with is gas mileage and horse power. I have the V6 but at 180hp, not quite enough. engine always sounds like it laboring more than it should, the xterra is very nimble but not quick and powerful by any means. My biggest complaint is MPG, I only average 15 mpg!!! and that is after doing a tune up, aftermarket air filter, checking tire pressures. might have gained 1 mpg overall. good car but be prepared to spend a lot on gas."

Love My Xterra!

By on Monday, March 26, 2012

Pros: "good visibility, easy to drive, reliable"

Cons: "poor gas mileage"

"This car has been a good one for me, being very reliable. I love the good visibility, but hate the poor gas mileage."

Great suv. Lots of power and great 4 wheel drive!

By on Thursday, March 22, 2012

"fuel hog but runs great. One set of brakes and rotors thus far. Alot of power. Great in 4 wheel drive but very loose in two wheel drive due to the power. WE HAD VERY LITTLE MAINT. Original plugs rear brakes. Did replace the battery. Great suv. Will buy again."

LOVE IT!!!

By on Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Pros: "Extremely durable, and fun to drive"

Cons: "Nothing comes to mind"

"I lOVE this truck!!!"

Too many weird sounds, fluid leaks, and no power.

By on Saturday, March 17, 2012

Reason: To many issues (fluid leaks) and lacks power

Pros: "looks, great for camping and easy to drive."

Cons: "Lots of fluid leaks, weird sounds, weak power"

"I bought this Xterra because of the look. It looks great. I am very particular about my vehicles and keep a strict maintenance schedule. I owned it for 7 years and would not buy another one. At 85000 miles the rear main sealed started to leak. Come to find out that is a very common problem with xterras. Lots of weird rattles and noises when driving. Does not have a lot of power for going up hills and to the mountain. Did not have power locks or windows. Nice interior fabric. Comfortable seats."

I love this truck! Looking for a new one!

By on Friday, March 16, 2012

"Our Nissan Xterra is amazing for our family and our needs! Just enough room for sports equiptment and even a family vacation!"

been a great auto no major probs

By on Friday, March 16, 2012

"first off i drive truck i spend alot of time on the road and when i get home driving is not my favorit thing to do but this little auto makes it good it feels like a truck when driving on back roads but on the highway it runs like a car its a well rounded auto with a difrent look i like it and would buy another if somthing would happen to this one"

I've loved every minute with my SUV

By on Thursday, March 15, 2012

Pros: "all of the above ;-)"

Cons: "No room for rear passengers feet under the seats"

"Wish I didn't have to part with it but my family got bigger and now my SUV has to grow as well...But I'll miss my truck for how safe and fun it is...not leaving aside how good looking and cool it is."

roomy, excellent tow capability

By on Thursday, March 15, 2012

Pros: "needed no repairs in 90000 miles"

Cons: "gas mileage is not so great 16 mpg city or highway"

"great transportation, great ground clearance which also enhances boat towing and ramp use. Sun roof is useless unless the top luggage (?) rack is removed (easily done). side footbards are almost necessary for convenient entrance and exiting, and cleaning windshield."

Very dependable utility vehicle

By on Thursday, March 15, 2012

Pros: "heavy sturdy reliable can do"

Cons: "must drive conservatively"

"We bought the car new. we liked the 5 star crash rating for the rear seat, the manual transfer case lever vs elec. It has done very well for winter driving and very bad driving conditions. It is not a race car and does have the top heavy feel if you race through a sharp turn. It has turned around on us once, but that is typical of jeep, fj, and other short wheel base 4wd. It has done well to tow a popup camper, carry canoe, 3 with full load. The electronics have been good. The OD switch light, or switch itself, went early on. Pwr windows still work going on 11yrs. At about 160K new timing belt. It is now 197K and looking at new head and oil pan gaskets. 197K and is getting new fuel pump, recall covered part. interior still good. outside front bumper rusting badly, fenders still intact. get a tire alignment every 18mo, but running gear has held up well."

Excellent off road vehicle

By on Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Pros: "Excellent off road, very comfortable freeway drive"

Cons: "poor gas mileage"

"I took an all day, back roads/off road pro training class and really enjoyed the ability of this Xterra. Even the instructor was impressed with the vehicle's ability. Good front view, rear view, small turn radius, good ground clearance-had to take off rear mud flaps (hard plastic) so they wouldn't catch and break. Full towing package good for light loads. Just wish I could get better mileage. Also knock sensor expensive and time consuming to replace. Needed to buy lockable gas cap (used Saturn product). Stretch netting for interior/roof rack excellent. Purchased Kangaroo soft luggage roof bag and works well on roof. Xterra neoprene seat covers for front and back seats very good and back compartment cover excellent fit. Front"

I love this car!!!

By on Saturday, February 18, 2012

Pros: "fun to drive, comfortable, tough..."

Cons: "not so fuel efficient"

"I've owned my X for about 9 years now and I love it! It's the best SUV ever!"

Great car - until the head gasket had blown

By on Friday, February 17, 2012

"Purchased car new in 1999 it was the one of the first yellow xterra's in Cincy, released early for the 2000 model year. Kept up with all maintenance and oil changes religiously. It was overheating and found that the head gasket (burned gases) is leaking into the radiator - AAAAHHHHHHHHHH Cost to repair 2300 - car cost know is 2500 what to do, what to do?"

Most reliable vehicle I've ever owned

By on Thursday, February 16, 2012

Pros: "fun to drive and reliable"

Cons: "small back seat..not enough leg room"

"The only trouble I have had is that my air conditioner clutch locked down and it stalled the engine. Now I can't even run the heat fan. If I turn the fans on for just heat, it stalls the motor out. But other than that, it has been an excellent vehicle. I drive back and forth to TN from SC every Friday and Sunday for work and it has never left me on the side of the road and I have been driving this route for 5 years."

Unlucky to buy this car

By on Tuesday, February 14, 2012

"I was unlucky to buy this car, when it is older than 8 years it starts to cost you more than 1000 every month to fix its problems. I'm a student and lost more than $13,000 only to fix this car in a year that I bought it. Don't risk your money and buying this SUV. Try anything except this one. Believe me, I had hard time dealing with this car."