2014 Nissan Versa Consumer Reviews

The Fair Market Range for this car in your area is $14,423 - $14,928.

10/7.7

7.6

Based on 134 Ratings for the 2012 - 2015 models.

7.5/10
    7.0/10
    7.5/10

By on Wednesday, December 07, 2011

Pros: "Excellent Gas Mileage, Roomy, Sharp Design, Quiet"

Cons: "NO sunroof on SL sedan"

"This is an incredible car for $16,000 new. It rides very smooth and the gas mileage is incredible. It looks pretty sharp too. With the Continuous Variable Transmitting it may take a little bit to get used to but if you understand the concept and the technology, then you can understand its value. Great for decreasing wear and tear and for saving on expensive gas!"

great little car

By on Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Pros: "price, gas mileage, size"

Cons: "needs arm rests!"

"I bought this car a week ago because I was needing something for my wife to have as an everyday driver. We bought the s model with cruise control. What a great car for the money! The interior is very nice and the look of the car is very modern. Parked next to a corolla, looks much better. This car has all the space you could need! A full equipped versa will soon make the sentra obsolete. Its just as big for $3000 less! And the gas mileage! we averaged 38 mpgs on the first tank. For a 1.6 liter it has a decent amount of get up and go. The steering is responsive which makes it seem more sporty and fun to drive."

Unbelievable milage at an unbelievable price

By on Monday, August 26, 2013

Pros: "High milage (especially highway), winter strong"

Cons: "Underpowered for mountain driving, slow, noisy"

"This car is an unbelievable value. I got it 16k brand new. I always average over 40, in total I probably get about 42 MPG. On short road trips I normally hit 48 MPG (note that all the highways I drive on are 55MPH and flat, so it boosts milage considerably) and longer road trips southward, which is hilly and much faster, I usually get 40-43. I have NEVER had a problem with the car, it runs perfectly. It isn't the most powerful car, it is slower than a Prius, and it gets loud in the mountains. I honestly wouldn't recommend this car for someone who does mostly steep mountain-type driving, it has to get too high up in the revs and gets loud. The car isn't very quiet to begin with. I am very impressed with this car in the winter. It can get through ANYTHING. We once had about a centimeter of ice on everything, I couldn't walk on the driveway because it was so slippery. I live on the edge of the Appalachian hills in southern Ohio (I commute north where it very quickly gets flat), and the hills are very steep for a driveway over half a mile long. The car got through all that ice without any issue. I was so amazed that I later purposefully hit the brakes and tried to slide around on an empty road to test out the traction and I was very, very impressed. The traction control is amazing, I just put the pedal to the floor and the computer sorts all that traction stuff out. My grandfather's old 4WD Jeep struggled to get out of my driveway more than my car did. The audio system doesn't sound very good at very high volumes, but it is good at normal and high volumes. The car is very plasticy and you can tell it is a budget car, but it is good quality for the price. Bottom line, for the price, you can't beat a Nissan Versa. You get great milage for a great value from a very reliable brand."

Got the Hatchback Versa - Fantastic VALUE !!!!

By on Saturday, February 02, 2013

Pros: "HUGE interior, Great gas mileage, Low price"

Cons: "A little slow when the light 1st turns green"

"I took delivery 1 week ago of a new 2012 Versa HB and I love it. I wanted payments under $250/month and got them, (with just my 11 yr old Pontiac trade as the down money) and this "small car" is HUGE on the inside. I'm 6 ft tall, and my tall teens can sit in the back and still have plenty of room. I love the 27 MPG in town, the comfort, the room, and I have bluetooth, aluminum wheels, stereo controls on the leather wrapped steering wheel, ABS, and 6 airbags for saftey. The ONLY con is that the car is a little slow when the light turns green, but once you get going it's fine."

Such an easy car to drive

By on Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Pros: "40+ real world mpg, rear leg room, 6 cup holders"

Cons: "performance, no arm rest, no auto trunk release"

"Versa sedan was the best subcompact we could find for fuel efficiency, roominess and comfort. Averaging 40 mpg combined city/highway. Enough rear legroom for 2 adults- definitely best in class. Seats are high up with lots of headroom, so excellent visibility. The Versa is not stylish, nor does it have the performance of a Fiesta, Sonic, Accent/Rio, etc. The little engine and CVT take awhile to accelerate. But if you want a car that can comfortably fit 4 people with excellent gas mileage and reliability for $12- $15K, there really is nothing else that compares."

Great little car

By on Sunday, March 31, 2013

Pros: "Great value, roomy, huge trunk"

Cons: "Not the quickest car on the planet"

"I bought my 2013 Versa at the fist of Feb and have put almost 5000 miles on it. The main reason I got the car was the gas milage and the inexpensive cost. I drive roughly 500 to 600 miles a week and wanted something for the milage and I haven't been disappointed. I'm getting right at 40 mpg. Another big plus to the car is the fact that I'm 6" and 260 pounds I've got all kinds of room. I plan on driving this car for a long long time...that is unless my daughter takes it over. She just went back to college in it. She likes the fact that it only takes about $35.00 to fill it up verses the $65.00 to fill up her Maxima. She also like the fact that the trunk was big enough for them to get all their stuff (and that was 2 huge duffle bags, 2 smaller bags, a large box of food and other stuff). Now for the cons of the car, it's no rocket but once at highway speed it does just fine. The passager seat could use an armrest too. Other than that I haven't found any other problems. All in all this is a great little car and highly recommend it to anyone looking for a very economical car to drive."

Excellent gas mileage for getting around.

By on Monday, July 14, 2014

Pros: "Great gas mileage, good price."

Cons: "Not steady in wind, apholstry material is terrible"

"The handling on windy days are dangerous. You get blown all over, the suspension is wrong for that car, it wobbles in the wind and causes you to almost go off the road. You really have to drive slower than speed limit on windy days. Other than that it is a good basic car, clutch sometimes acts up and won't go in gear correctly, but not too often, mostly in reverse, I have to release clutch and then re-adjust it in reverse. Awesome gas mileage, that I will never complain about. The material of the seats are the worst ever. If there is any lint or hair stuck to your clothes it stays on the seats like a dog has been in there. And you can't vacuum it out, I had to get a roll of tape to pull each thing out. Even the detail people tell me they can't get it out. Has a good take off and speed ratio."

Great MPG, reliable, quiet.

By on Saturday, October 19, 2013

Pros: "Great price, Great MPG, big trunk"

Cons: "No glove box, slow acceleration."

"I own this car for 1.5 months now. Get 38-39MPG at 30MPH. Good to drive in city, in traffic. Very smooth cruising due to CVT. Big trunk. Slow on acceleration but still great on speed, driving at around 70-90MPH easily with good control. Economical get spend more on useful stuff, instead of paying for gas, spare parts. Thinking of buying second one. where all cars run at speed limits why spend on huge engines why harm environment & our wallets."

Best comute, friendly car

By on Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Pros: "great price"

"this is the most safety,gas saver,friendly car. I recomend this car..is the best nissan innovation.."

I Love my 2012 Versa

By on Friday, November 18, 2011

Pros: "Makes sense"

Cons: "Everything to gain"

"Since I purchased this car the beginning of September, it's been nothing but a pleasure. I wanted a good car that would not break the bank and that I could trust for reliability. This car fits the bill, my prior car was a 1998 Nissan Sentra which I drove for 13 years. If you want a practicle car that will not cost an arm and a leg this is the one. I still can't believe I got it for such a low cost."

Car for commuters, not automobile enthusiasts

By on Saturday, June 21, 2014

Pros: "good ride, quiet ride. large trunk, brakes,"

Cons: "Slow 0 to 25. Slow at highway speeds."

"I purchased an S+. The features are an odd mix. Manual mirrors, windows, door locks! (if you lock the doors the only entry is the driver's door with the key), trunk is only opened by the key outside. Manual windows all around. One step up in the line gets the power windows and door locks that most people want with a car that has an auto trans and cruise/ Bluetooth as standard equipment. The car is like the pro-reviewers have described it. Initial pickup (0 to 25 mph) is slow. Twenty five to 65 mph acceleration is good. Higher speed stuff is fine for cruising (75..80.mph) but passing at that speed range or higher mph is slow. Front seats occupied with larger Americans doesn't mean the back seats are toast. The Front seats with 2 6' 3" people installed still allows 2 five feet 10" chaps room in the back. My son commented that the room in the back (he's 5'7") felt more than the 2011+ Kia Optima. Driving the car is comfortable commuter and not zoom zoom Mazda. The steering is light and braking is strong. Quiet and smooth ride compared to other small cars. Steering is light, fine for me but others seem to equate heavier steering with steering "feel" and sportier driving behaviors. My opinion is that if you need to "feel" what the front tires are doing you should be on a racetrack. I enjoy motorsports. Motorsport driving shouldn't be part of my getting around. That's my opinion feel free to disagree. I get much better than the EPA mileage predictions but my route to work is easy on fuel. So my 2009 Harley 883 gets 57mpg, my 2011 Kia Optima gets 38 mpg, the Versa gets 54 mpg all on the same path. The Sportsters future as my main commuter vehicle is in jeopardy because I'm getting older and A/C and heat during the 1 hour commute to/from work are gaining in value to me. Nissan's CVT operation seems normal to me as I own a "super scooter". For those not used to the CVT my advice is to ignore it. That's correct, don't give it a thought. Need to go faster, push the pedal down. Most of us have had auto trans cars. Same thing with a different way of going about its business.What you need to know is 0 to 20 mph is slow. Then acceleration steps up until 70 mph then it starts to slow again. The S+ dash is oh my simple. If you don't need the Bluetooth indoctrination that the sales person will provide ( I guess it's part of the delivery process) the rest takes about 2 minutes to master. I like the simple dash as my Harley only has a speedometer and a time display. I don't have a smart phone but I was ready to get one after the Bluetooth demo. I keep my vehicles, usually for their lifetimes. My current rides have climate control, backup cameras, Nav systems...etc. The Versa was purchased as a throwback commuter vehicle for cheapest per mile costs and ended up a nice surprise for its' frugal and comfortable way it performs. Best deal. The bottom of the line. AC and manual trans would have gone this way but physical (left knee) limitations kept me out of this area. 2015 models have some minor changes. Front and rear get body changes with a minor center console mods. 2014 models are on the lots and deals are coming. I like my base model 2015 but you all might want the extras that are 2014 available. Best to you all. The Versa is worth checking out Check us out ..."

A good value, but not without compromises

By on Sunday, December 29, 2013

Pros: "MPG, Interior Space and Comfort"

Cons: "Cheap/Ugly Interior, Road Noise, Trans. Behavior"

"I bought my 2012 Versa SV in July of '12. I wanted to spend the least amount of money on a new subcompact, without sacrificing comfort, space, reliability and quality. The seat is very comfortable. The ride is stable, yet comfortable. Engine noise is pretty quiet for a subcompact. Road noise is tolerable, except at interstate speeds when it's so bad you really have to crank up the stereo to hear your tunes. I find the steering wheel desperately needs a telescopic feature. It's fixed too far away. The steering is also overly light and sensitive. It feels very twitching on the interstate, making it hard to keep in a straight line. Given the car's light weight, the handling is quite good and responsive, although it won't be mistake for a sports car due to the tall and narrow body. I find the power perfectly adequate, even a bit impressive, for a subcompact car with only 109hp. My biggest complaint is the transmission. It behaves crudely. It makes strange noises, hesitates badly when accelerating, shudders, and is jerky at low speeds. Nissan seriously needs to do something about this transmission. It's quite unpleasant. I've figured out its behavior, so I've learned how to modulate my throttle foot to avoid the unpleasant characteristics as much as possible. I should be driving the car though. The car shouldn't be driving me! I drove a 2014 Sentra as a rental and the CVT in that car is a million times better. No jerkiness, shuddering, or hesitation. Disappointingly, I didn't enjoy driving the Sentra as much as my Versa, which feels roomier inside and is far more comfortable. My Versa has had some quality/reliability problems. The catalytic converter heat shield fell off. The dealer said the tabs holding it on had broken off. No clue why. Dealer replace under warranty. The front suspension has been making squeaking noises over big humps (such as speed humps) since about 10k miles. No resolution from the dealer. Now there's an unpleasant grinding kind of noise at about 1700 RPM when I'm accelerating. I can't tell if it's the engine or transmission. I'm hoping its nothing to worry about. I'm hoping the long-term reliability proves to be good. I don't want this car to sour my positive impression of the Nissan brand or the Versa. I'd like to get the hatchback for my next car. If you can get used the CVT in this car, it's a nice little car to own. It's comfortable and cheap to run. You can easily fit a family of 4, no problem. The trunk is huge for a subcompact at 14 cubic feet. It's a good value overall. I do recommend this car to people who shop for a car with their head rather than their heart."

I love it!

By on Monday, November 19, 2012

Pros: "Great gas mileage, smooth ride"

Cons: "no arm rest"

"Got this car for a long commute and I drive over 50 miles a day five days a week and I love that I only have to fill up every 2 weeks. THe gas mileage is great"

The best new car for 12k!

By on Sunday, December 30, 2012

Pros: "fuel mileage; huge trunk/seating"

Cons: "none for price"

"We bought the base stick shift in late '11 for my wife's 80 mile a day commute. It has delivered - 38-44 miles to the gallon on the highway/interstate and 34 or so in the city. It runs great, and even the base model has AC and cd player with aux port. It looks great, even with the small stock tires. The engine and road noise are high over 60, but really folks, what do you want for a brand new car with a factory warranty, excellent mileage, and pretty cool looks for 12K? So you have to manually roll down the windows and lock the doors - so what. The rear seating is HUGE as well as the trunk. So reliable, zero problems, pretty fun to drive. This is also more like a family car - we were so comfy in several 1000 mile trips with that huge back seat. GET IT - best deal on a car ever!"

Let down by Engine

By on Thursday, May 22, 2014

Pros: "scrappy little car"

Cons: "Terrible transmission and engine"

"The car gets great mileage under good throttle control (40+mpg for over 1.5yrs!!) and likes to hum along in the 60-70range. It is comfortable enough to sit in for long periods of time. The interior is drab but you would expect as much from a bottom tier car. The major issue with this car is under the hood. Not only does the CVT transmission feel like you are shifting through an oil slick, it can never find a place to settle. I know this is by design, but with no throttle or brake I have seen 2,000RPM movements as the transmission "searched" for a gear. To make matters worse the entire transmission and TCM called it quits after 52k miles. It doesn't help that the engine is appallingly sluggish and you get large gaps of time between pressing the accelerator and actually accelerating. All in, the car could have been so much greater had a little more thought went into the transmission specs and a few more horses under the hood."

7 months and 50,000k Thinking about a second unit

By on Saturday, August 03, 2013

Pros: "Interior space, fuel economy, dependable"

Cons: "Dash and doors a little plasticy"

Nissan Versa 1.2L E CVT

"Purchased a 2013 just after the new years. We have the 1.2L Eco that is rated just under 48mpg. Though it is not a powerhouse with only 79hp it is enough and many times we beat the MPG rating. All day it easily keeps up with traffic and sometimes starts creeping closer to 100 mph. Inside it has more room than many bigger cars. The trunk is huge. And the Black leather interior with red stitching really looks good with the fire engine red paint out side. It has been very dependable, service at the dealer quick and cheep. Usually I get a new car every year but I think in 6 months I will just get a new one for my wife and keep this one a while."

Nissan Versa 1.2L E CVT

Great car!!

By on Monday, April 08, 2013

Pros: "Economical, Practical and Different"

Cons: "Radio"

"37 MPG!!! Researched and test drove the Civic, the Fit and the Yaris. The Versa drove and felt like none of them. It was different in a good way. Good steering, descent acceleration and quiet on the road. It is not very luxurious but I knew that going in so the number rating is reflective of my view in that area. The looks are different but not necessarily a bad thing since all you see now-a-days are the Camry or Corolla. The car feels like the designers actually put some thought into it. Definitely recommend you test before deciding."

Excellent Value.

By on Tuesday, May 13, 2014

"Let me start by making clear that this is not a luxury vehicle. Prospective buyers need to keep that in mind. However, when opting for the SL trim level, the Versa delivers an incredible car for the money. I've had this car for several weeks. It is my primary vehicle for work. I travel a substantial amount and gas mileage was an important consideration for me. It is advertised as 40 mpg highway, and thus far I have been averaging about 39, which is right in the ballpark. The ride is quite comfortable for an economy car. It rides higher than many sedans, which some people may like. However, with that height comes added battles with highway winds. That is my biggest complaint thus far. The front seat is comfortable, if not a little stiff. Easy access to all controls and exceptionally clear visibility for the driver make driving a breeze, especially in models equipped with the steering wheel-mounted controls. Blind spots seem to plague many cars these days as exterior design becomes more and more important. I have had no such blind spot issues with this car. This car really shines in its dimensions and cargo space. The front and rear seats are incredibly roomy for a compact car. The back seat is as large or larger than many mid-sized sedans. I'm 6'2" and can sit in the rear seat with leg room to spare. The trunk is huge for a compact car as well. The engine is adequate. It's an economy car, so those used to driving sports sedans and high-powered SUVs are going to be disappointed in it's power output. However, I have not encountered a situation yet where the car struggled to keep up. While the horsepower isn't eye-popping, it's more than enough when considering the car's curb weight. If you drive on mostly flat terrain, this car will suit your needs. We opted for the SL version with the Tech Package. It includes alloy wheels, keyless entry, push-button start, rear-view camera, XM Radio, a full navigation system, Pandora radio, auto-dimming mirror etc. When comparing this car to its competitors, the features you can get in this car for the money are simply unmatched. It's not even close. We looked at several other vehicle options, many priced much higher, but this was the clear choice in the end. If your goal is a value sedan, you aren't going to find a better option than the Versa."

40+mpg! Faster than my Prius, at 1/2 the cost.

By on Thursday, July 10, 2014

Pros: "Excellent power once Engaged. Roomy, Fun! 40+mpg"

Cons: "Gas pedal does not React Instantly."

"Break in Period took forever! But Engine is now Power-full.. and FAST! at 40,000 miles. I LOVE the CVT Transmission on my S-Plus, its accelerates Quicker than other comparable cars because it doesn't have to shift, and barely needs to Idle to maintain Freeway speeds. I Use a Super Light weight Mobil 1 Full Synthetic 0w-20 motor oil. On Florida Freeways I Achieve 44mpg consistently doing 70 & I never get less than 37 in stop and go traffic, with the Air ON. & I never Drive to save Gas.. I bought this car because I needed "a car" Immediately, and did not have the money to fix my Prius. But now, After owning my Versa Sedan for over a year, and moving (twice) across the country, 24 hours at a time, covering the Desert, the frozen Tundra, & now the Everglades.. I have to say the car is ROCK SOLID & has been the only Stable thing in my Life! & I can't believe I ever drove anything else. & yes, I would highly Recommend this car!"

nice budget car - 85% of my travel needs satisfied

By on Thursday, June 19, 2014

Pros: "price, conveniences, fuel economy, space"

Cons: "power, noisy, slow heating"

"(Nissan Versa SV sedan with convenience pkg)The things lacking for me to give this car a 10 --- 1-> heating system is slow - takes 15 min on avg to feel warm inside the car--- 2->a little more horse power is needed - takes 30 secs to reach 60--- 3->USB outlet is missing in higher trims which is a basic necessity in today's world with technology--- 4->The engine is a little loud--- 5->Bluetooth does not play audio/music. we have to use aux--- All in all, a great car with convenience at great price. Can you beat the price for $15K (all inclusive, out of the door, on road) with bluetooth, cruise control, alloy wheels, folding back seats and 35 mpg avg. I even get a 3 year oil change, car washes and 50 point check for free"

The Best Car I Have Ever Owned! Amazing!

By on Sunday, November 17, 2013

"I did my research and compared four cars in its class last year and finally decided to take a chance on the Nissan Versa SV. I am so glad I did! It is hands down the best car on the road for the money. I regularly get 47 mpg on the HWY and around 38 mpg around town. My wife drives a hybrid and I get almost the same milage that she does without all the expense of the hybrid. Again, for the money - IT IS THE BEST VALUE ON THE ROAD! I would buy another one just like it if I were in the market for another car."

Not bad for the price- no frills.

By on Thursday, October 31, 2013

Pros: "Price- handling-roomy"

Cons: "slow to get up to speed- highway driving"

"Did my homework re: this car. Chose it for the price and the fact that it's a Nissan. Still have my old 94 Sentra at 180k miles so I am expecting longevity. Pick up is slow, vibrates at idle (especially the driver's seat- what's up with that?) and don't like bending over to pop the gas tank cover. Handles well-mostly interstate driving- and is comfortable to be in. If the engine is as reliable as my 94 sentra- I'll handle the rest. Worth the 13k I paid for it."

Good first car for our teenager

By on Saturday, August 03, 2013

Pros: "good price and cute"

Cons: "CVT - awful; cheap interior materials"

"We bought this car for our daughter who will be going to college next year. We paid approximately 15000 and got all the bells and whistles. It is a decent little car that gets you where you need to go. The drawbacks are the cheap carpet and seat covers that are difficult to get clean and keep clean. I also do not like the CVT. It is very jerky and will rev on inclines causing the car to use what I think is an excessive amount of gas. The car also does not have much power. On the upside it is dependable and fairly cute."

Very Happy So Far

By on Sunday, June 03, 2012

Pros: "Low price, great gas mileage, very roomy."

Cons: "Vulnerable to crosswinds, jerky transmission."

"I bought the 2012 Versa S sedan in December 2011 and have been driving it daily for the past six months. Most weekdays, I have a 70-mile round-trip commute. Overall, I'm very happy with it so far. I'm averaging about 36 mpg combined city and highway, which is great. For a compact car, the interior is well designed and roomy, and the trunk is huge. The car has enough power to comfortably cruise along on the highway at 70 mph, and I have no problems getting up some of the steep hills around my house. As others have noted, you can definitely feel crosswinds in this car. The transmission is also a little jerky, particularly at very low speeds. I've gotten used to both these eccentricities, however, and don't really consider them major flaws. I'd definitely buy this car again."

Roomy, powerful, extremely efficient.

By on Friday, January 10, 2014

Pros: "Great gas mileage, super price, roomy."

Cons: "Stick shift needs tachometer!"

"Perfect commuter or vacation vehicle. Easily hauls four 6 foot plus guys and their golf equipment up and down the mountains of Pennsylvania and still averages 39.3 mpg. The stick shift is the smoothest I have ever owned. Only thing I do not like is it is much too quiet . Almost impossible to hear engine running and without a tachometer it is difficult to pull out if you are listening to music or talking. Nissan missed the boat by not offering a tach in a stick shift but ridiculously includes one with an automatic which has no need ever for one.??? They are not the only company doing this . Oh well it is a great car otherwise and runs very well."