2010 Nissan Versa

8.4

Based on 500 Ratings for the 2007 - 2011 models.

2008 Nissan Versa Hatchback

By on Tuesday, May 26, 2009

"The Versa is a zippy little all-around-town car but nothing sexy. It does not get the mileage figures Nissan gives out, so forget about those. It has a very high ride which I like. I can finally sort of see over some of the smallish SUV's and when I go to the fast food places, I'm right up there looking into the window which is an odd feeling after my very low-riding vintage Mercedes which was a nightmare to get in and out of with bad knees. High ride, good, lots of passenger room front and back, really good. Decent sound system without upgrading and a plug-in for my MP3 player is a plus. No ABS standard, bad. Not a good vehicle in high wind, gets blown all over the place. Also, at highway speed, don't open the windows, it will be nearly deafening in the front and back seats. Cooling passengers in the back is tricky. You have to point the front adjustable air vents straight up for the air to reach the back. Weird. Nice materials on interior are a plus. Trunk space seems small until you start really putting stuff in there, then it seems pretty roomy. I don't like the uneven back surface created when the back seats are put down to greatly increase the cargo space, but that's how this car is made so we live with it. A protector coming standard with this hatch back to protect the plastic area at the lower edge of the hatch would be nice, because this area really gets marked up by cargo easily. Also, I notice two places of missing paint on the bumper from normal, everyday use. I have no scratches o this car except on the cheaply painted front and rear bumpers. The undercarriage on the front scrapes in areas it shouldn't . Overall I like my Versa and will probably buy it at lease end in two years. I've had it a year."

Burnt clutch

By on Monday, December 22, 2008

"I was very happy with my Versa until i began having trouble engaging the clutch (stuttering) at about 6000 miles. I also had noticed a burning smell when i would park on a hill and have to back into a space. When i initially took the car in, the dealer's driver took it for a ride with me and said there was no problem with how the clutch handled. I've been driving standard transmission cars for 40 years and i think i knew better. However, i let it go. Finally, at 11,000 miles the car became undriveable. The dealer recommended a look at the clutch. When they pulled it, they found it burned out and the flywheel damaged. They refused to cover this under warranty (remember - 11K miles) since it was a "wear" part. Nissan refused to cover this also. The total cost for this was $2800!!! Needless to say I'm not happy with Nissan. On top of that, i still smell burning clutch when i reverse into a parking spot. The dealer reproduced that smell, but they still refuse to do anything about it. Definitely the last Nissan I buy."

Can't Beat It For The Money!

By on Monday, March 17, 2008

"I purchased my Versa S Hatchback in September 07. The vehicle currently has 18k miles. The only repair I've had performed was a tire air pressure sensor that malfuntioned. The local Nissan dealer performed the repair to my satisfaction. Gas mileage in the city has varied from 27-30 mpg depending on the season. Equipped with studded tires the mileage dropped off to 27 mpg this winter. Highway mileage has never been below 33 mpg and I have have obtained as high as 40 mpg when the vehicle was driven at 45-55 mph on a trip on the Oregon Coast. Highway mileage is typically 34-35 mpg. The vehicle is equipped with the manual 6 speed transmission. Bottom line on the gas mileage is that it all depends on how you drive. The interior room is great. I'm a tall guy and the Versa is much easier for me to get in and out of than my wife's 04 Nissan Maxima. It also has superior rear seat room for a small car. I wouldn't say the Versa is underpowered, but to get it to move out, you definitely have to get the rpm's above 3500. I understand that the Versa's top speed is 117 mph. That should be fast enough for most of us. The Versa rides well and is quiet on the highway. For the money it's one of the best car deals available."

Only one issue

By on Sunday, August 03, 2008

"I've owned my 2007 for two years and put 29000 on the car, but traded last week for a 2008 Versa SL with a few additional features. This is an outstanding car for a 6 foot 6 inch 61 year old guy. The leg room and comfort of the seats is excellent. The height adjustment for the driver is a real plus, as is the fold down armrest in the SL. The car always started. The CVT tranny is smooth with great acceleration off the line. Handling is fine with the electrically assisted steering. Road noise is nominal with engine noise only busy under heavy acceleration. The ride is great even with four adults in the car. Consistently, the mileage was 30 in town and 36 on the highway. which I consider superb. My car did not have ABS brakes, and the brakes, though very good, are subpar on snow/ice. The pads and shoes still had 75% left at 30,000, and the tires had more than 50% tread life left. So why trade it for a 2008? One singular important reason: the engine developed a persistent knock at 6500 miles. Three different dealers could not fix it, even with an engine tear down from the last dealer with oversight from a regional Nissan tech engineer. I was subsequently told that this is normal in the Versa. NOT! I've spoken with more than a few other Versa owners who said the problem didn't exist for them, and in each case they started their car for me to give a listen. They were right. Even my techs admitted the problem shouldn't be there. This was not a mild knock but so significant that numerous people heard it and asked me what was wrong with the engine. Frankly, I'd had it; but at the same time we loved the car so bought a new SL with all the bells and whistles. Love the intelligent key, bluetooth hands free phone link, premium sound system, and no engine knock. I'll be holding my breath until I pass 6500 miles. I would recommend this car unequivocally bearing in mind that I'm the only one who has complained about this type of noise to the best of my knowledge. There are other fine cars in the Versa SL's class for about the same money, but none of them have the visibility of the Versa, nor seat height or depth, nor more than ample front and rear leg and head room, nor load capacity. Interestingly I traded for only $2000.00 less than I paid for the car after driving it for a week short of two years, and nearly 30K miles. Wouldn't you consider that high trade in value at only a $1000.00 a year loss? Drive the car and decide for yourself. It's a good time to deal because dealers are motivated to liquidate the rolling stock they have on hand. $4.00 gasoline makes this more attractive day by day. Good luck in your search and purchase."

Nice value

By on Tuesday, November 06, 2012

Pros: "MPG,build quality,value"

Cons: "shocks"

"Bought this new in 7/10. Have had no real issues with the car.At the $16k prive point I was looking at low milage used cars, and the Toyotas,Hyundais, and Mazdas. The Versa felt the most...solid for a small car. Close the door and there is a real clunk, like a much larger car. Lots of interior room. I have had a bunch of hatches in my time, all VWs and like all of them when you put the rear seats down, there is plenty of room to haul stuff. They dont sit flat, but they sit better than most. Speaking of the rear seats, the room back sitting is GREAT. Very roomy. Our salesman stood a bit over 6 foot and he fit back there with ease! Getting around 33 mpg, mostly low speed thru town, highway will get 35+. Decent power out of the 1.8, and the belt driven trans has given me NO issues. Take a little to get used to, but it "shifts" very smooth. My only gripe is the shocks. They are rough.My Cobalt is much smoother over tracks than this car. Overall a decent value for the price. Resale is ehhh but if your looking for a runabout/work car that can haul stuff including a small family you could do worse than this car."

LOVE IT!!

By on Thursday, February 28, 2008

"I agree with all the other reviews, the mpg is not as great as they claim, but it's still considerably good. I absolutely love everything about this car, the stereo sounds great, there is so much room and great for road trips. I've been in so many snow storms this winter, and not one problem. My Versa has done better than my room mates Volkswagen Golf, Mazda 3, and Honda Accord. There have been times when I thought "There is no way I'm getting through this snow" and sure enough, it makes it every time, without one problem. I bought this car because of a friend, and I've had two friends buy this car because of me."

Good for everyday.

By on Thursday, August 23, 2007

"I bought the Versa within a month of when it was first introduced in the States and was excited to be one of the first to own it. I liked the look of it and the CVT transmission was a big draw. The interior is surprisingly roomy, everyone is usually surprised by it, and the upholstery is a fun color and stays looking clean and new. The only issue I have with it is that I am a heavy person and the front seats are a little narrow, plus I've already had to have one seat replaced because it was defective. I also had to have the wiring harness replaced within the first year because it was defective. It was a little obnoxious because the Tire Pressure Monitering light kept coming on, and after eight months of going back and forth with the Nissan dealership to get it checked out and cleared, they finally realized that it was a wiring glitch. I love having the controls for the bluetooth and the radio on the steering wheel, and everything is well organized and within reach. It handles well in any kind of weather I've experienced, including snow. We had a couple of heavy snow days and I was a little worried because of the iciness, but it handled perfectly. Also, I was recently rear-ended by a Jeep Liberty and I was surprised at how well the Versa stood up to it. There was a lot of rear end damage, but the frame held up really well and it was all easily fixed by a reputable body shop. I also feel safe on freeways and don't feel dwarfed by bigger vehicles like I sometimes feel in similar cars. Overall, I'm very happy with the car and would reccomend it to anyone wanting a dependable, everyday car."

A good car.

By on Tuesday, March 11, 2008

"I too can basically agree with the others, but my only complaints are that the AC is weak, the speakers aren't great, it doesn't drive well on snowy road conditions & during long trips the seats tend to feel a little stuff. But other than that I really like my Versa."

Great Little Car

By on Friday, August 17, 2012

Pros: "Great value, reliable, comfortable, roomy, looks"

Cons: "Better quality interior = more maintenance"

Nice front view

"I love this car for what it is. I have had it 1 1/2 years, and have never had one single problem with it. This thing is 100% reliable. Will you get the comfort and convenience in this as a $65,000 car? No, but as I said, this car is great for what it is, and what you get for the price is great. The styling of the hatchback makes the car look much sportier than the sedan version, and to me, it looks like the rear matches the front better than the sedan. It has a lot of added options, most of which I have, and all of which make the driving experience just that more easy and comfortable (i.e. keyless entry, power windows, power locks, cruise control). The seating and ride quality is great for the sales price. The cargo volume is outstanding too, as you can fold the back seats down to double your trunk space. It's the only car among it's direct/common competitors that has a fully independent rear suspension. The shifting in this car (manual) is very smooth compared to others (I have driven/owned other direct competing cars). No car is absolutely flawless, though. So here are a couple of my personally deemed cons: The car is a just a little bit too high profile for my taste (vehicle height), and so it tends to catch wind easily. The interior, though looks great, is good quality, and is very comfortable, demands a little more maintenance than the cheaper interiors out there, as it tends to collect debris easier. And that's about the only negative things I can say! 2 cons, and 100 pros! :)"

Nice front view

Great Car for the Price

By on Thursday, May 21, 2009

"My wife and I bought this car while living in Florida. We were looking for an inexpensive commuter vehicle that got better than average mileage to have as a second car. For the price, this car has it all (except for looks). We are still getting upwards of 35 mpg on the highway and 30+ around town under normal driving conditions with the 4 spd auto tranny. Running the air or in very cold weather (we have since moved back to Maine) the mileage does drop a bit (maybe 10%). This is without the benefit of cruise control to keep truly steady cruising speed. Other pluses are the cavernous cargo area (seats down) and the more than ample rear leg room. The front seats are very comfortable and fairly supportive for long drives. They give a good upright driving position and you don't feel like you're sitting on the floor while driving. Even with the standard non-ABS brakes, we had no issues stopping during this past Maine winter. Overall, we're quite pleased with what the Versa has to offer."