2009 Nissan Versa

8.4

Based on 511 Ratings for the 2007 - 2011 models.

Nice value

By on Tuesday, November 06, 2012

Pros: "MPG,build quality,value"

Cons: "shocks"

"Bought this new in 7/10. Have had no real issues with the car.At the $16k prive point I was looking at low milage used cars, and the Toyotas,Hyundais, and Mazdas. The Versa felt the most...solid for a small car. Close the door and there is a real clunk, like a much larger car. Lots of interior room. I have had a bunch of hatches in my time, all VWs and like all of them when you put the rear seats down, there is plenty of room to haul stuff. They dont sit flat, but they sit better than most. Speaking of the rear seats, the room back sitting is GREAT. Very roomy. Our salesman stood a bit over 6 foot and he fit back there with ease! Getting around 33 mpg, mostly low speed thru town, highway will get 35+. Decent power out of the 1.8, and the belt driven trans has given me NO issues. Take a little to get used to, but it "shifts" very smooth. My only gripe is the shocks. They are rough.My Cobalt is much smoother over tracks than this car. Overall a decent value for the price. Resale is ehhh but if your looking for a runabout/work car that can haul stuff including a small family you could do worse than this car."

Over 100,000 miles already!

By on Saturday, October 20, 2007

"I bought my Versa in July of '06 to use for my delivery business and to commute in. I drive 7,000 miles every month, so needless to say I needed a reliable car. The Versa had just what I was looking for. Small on the outside yet big on the inside. I got the standard 6-speed stick shift, because if I'm going to be stuck on the road 11 hours a day, I have to keep it fun. The gas mileage EPA rating is 30 city and 34 highway, and after filling up once a day for the past 15 months, heres my averages. I commute 65 miles to work on the highway at about 73 mph. I then spend the next 9 hours, and 250 or so miles, delivering packages all over southern California with a 50/50 mix of city and highway driving, before commuting 65 miles home. In the cooler months, with the A/C off, I would consitantly get 31 to 32 mpg. In the 100+ degree summer with the A/C on all day my average would drop to 29 to 30 mpg. Some people have reported much lower mpg numbers than what I've experienced. I think the key to high mpg statrs with smooth driving. With any vehicle, if you drive with a lead foot, it can really kill your mpg. Well 100,000 miles just rolled past on 10-14-07, and my Versa is still running like new. The only real downside to having all that interior space in such a light weight car is that it has a very tall profile, that catches crosswinds on really gusty days, slightly more than regular sedans do. The seat comfort remains top notch, and all the interior materials are holding up excellent. Well, wish me luck as I chase down 200,000 miles. See ya!"

Great Car for the Price

By on Thursday, May 21, 2009

"My wife and I bought this car while living in Florida. We were looking for an inexpensive commuter vehicle that got better than average mileage to have as a second car. For the price, this car has it all (except for looks). We are still getting upwards of 35 mpg on the highway and 30+ around town under normal driving conditions with the 4 spd auto tranny. Running the air or in very cold weather (we have since moved back to Maine) the mileage does drop a bit (maybe 10%). This is without the benefit of cruise control to keep truly steady cruising speed. Other pluses are the cavernous cargo area (seats down) and the more than ample rear leg room. The front seats are very comfortable and fairly supportive for long drives. They give a good upright driving position and you don't feel like you're sitting on the floor while driving. Even with the standard non-ABS brakes, we had no issues stopping during this past Maine winter. Overall, we're quite pleased with what the Versa has to offer."

Great Little Car

By on Friday, August 17, 2012

Pros: "Great value, reliable, comfortable, roomy, looks"

Cons: "Better quality interior = more maintenance"

Nice front view

"I love this car for what it is. I have had it 1 1/2 years, and have never had one single problem with it. This thing is 100% reliable. Will you get the comfort and convenience in this as a $65,000 car? No, but as I said, this car is great for what it is, and what you get for the price is great. The styling of the hatchback makes the car look much sportier than the sedan version, and to me, it looks like the rear matches the front better than the sedan. It has a lot of added options, most of which I have, and all of which make the driving experience just that more easy and comfortable (i.e. keyless entry, power windows, power locks, cruise control). The seating and ride quality is great for the sales price. The cargo volume is outstanding too, as you can fold the back seats down to double your trunk space. It's the only car among it's direct/common competitors that has a fully independent rear suspension. The shifting in this car (manual) is very smooth compared to others (I have driven/owned other direct competing cars). No car is absolutely flawless, though. So here are a couple of my personally deemed cons: The car is a just a little bit too high profile for my taste (vehicle height), and so it tends to catch wind easily. The interior, though looks great, is good quality, and is very comfortable, demands a little more maintenance than the cheaper interiors out there, as it tends to collect debris easier. And that's about the only negative things I can say! 2 cons, and 100 pros! :)"

Nice front view

I Love the Little Black Button

By on Friday, October 31, 2008

"I got the model with the one button door opener (right on the door), makes it SO convenient for moms with little ones, or just when you have your hands full. I don't see a lot with that feature, but I'm glad mine has it! My little red Versa was bashed into by a big ol' SUV, pushed it into the car in front - I was very impressed by how well it withstood the impact. Fortunately no one was in the car at the time, but if they had been, the car would have protected them. It seems to be a very well made little car - I love how little it is, yet it doesn't feel cramped at all. When I had to move my daughter out of her dorm room, I fit all her stuff in the back with the seats down. This small car can hold LOTS of cargo! It seems to go through tires fast, though, but that could just have to do with where I live."

Very good Car

By on Monday, March 04, 2013

Pros: "gas saver roomy interior great price"

Cons: "awkward interior set up"

"I have had my Versa for almost 2 years now. It has taken me many places and has served me very well. This car is defiantly a gas saver on an average week with gas prices in my home town at $3.57 a gallon I can fill it up with $30 and my husband can drive 24miles round trip to work 5days a week and we don't have to fill up again until the following Sunday. The interior is VERY roomy. My father-in-law is close to 7 feet tall and he can fit in the diver seat and passenger seat with ease. I only have a few negative things to say about my versa. The interior set up is a little different than what I was use to coming from a Pontiac grand-am. The cup holders are in an awkward position for both front and rear passengers. Also if u have a child in a toddler seat you cannot get it to sit level in the middle of the back seat with out a towel under the side of the car seat. Other than that this car is a dream to own and maintain. It's not going to win you and speed awards or fancy best in show comments but it is a well made dependable car."

Versa SL

By on Monday, September 22, 2008

"I bought the Versa SL, so my versa does have an armrest for the driver and it is super soft. This was my first new car and i am very satisfied with it! I looked at the fit, yaris, caliber, cobalt, spectra, rio, and many others and none compared to the value of the Versa. Also, i checked the insurance on every car i looked at and the Versa had far and away the best price, 50% lower than the Honda Fit! Also, the CVT is very, very fun to drive once you get used to it!"

Good Value

By on Sunday, April 06, 2008

"I have owned my SL for almost a year. I drive it conservatively about 300 miles a week. I have 12500 so far with no problems. I get about 31 MPG city and hwy. This is a very comfortable car to drive for tall people and those of us that have to use car seats in the back. No other small car was as roomy in the back and easier to put kids in and out. I also have grown to appreciate the CVT transmission. I was not sure how well they would hold out but it seems to be a realiable transmission. This is a very comfortable small car to drive"

2008 Versa Best In Its Class

By on Friday, September 26, 2008

"We chose the 2008 Versa over the Toyota Yaris, And Matrix, and also over the Mazda 3. Our price tag of 15000 covered power windows, doors and cruise control,and a nice alarm with keyless entry. The Mazda 3 was 3500 more and had crankup style windows and no power locks. The Versa definately gives you the most bang for your buck, Not to mention great gas Mileage. With our limo black window tint and nissan super black paint, its sporty as well."

Excellent MPG

By on Thursday, June 05, 2008

"I traded in my much loved Pathfinder as it only got 14 MPG. This Versa was the perfect solution. I love it, especially the 30+ MPG. Although it appears small, there's amazing head and leg room, my 5'9" daughter is comfortable in either the back or front, I also frequently have two child car seats in the back with no problem. When you put the two back seats down, there's an amazing amount of space, we've had 10 bags of mulch in it!"

this a great car

By on Sunday, November 04, 2007

"I have a 2007 versa sl with everything,except abs breaks.I have 16,000 on it. I am a 51 year old male,about 5'10 and it fits me nice,i have been watching the gas mileage and I found that if you drive between 69 an 70 miles an hour with the cruse control on I get 37.5 with the air off in town I get between 24 an 26 depends on my foot.overall this is great car for the money,the ride is very smooth at 70 and 80.I have owned about 30 car in my life and drove a lot of high price car that don't even ride like the versa or is quite in side like the versa.I hope this help"

great, smart, fun

By on Wednesday, February 18, 2015

"I have enjoyed driving this car and owning it since 2008. With the manual transmission it is fun and peppy with very nice handling characteristics. Seating, front and back, is far more comfortable than most cars(bigger or smaller.) Hatchback configuration makes it very adaptable to various carrying needs. Millage is good but not great(25-32), however, would not trade for decreased pep."

So reliable dealer bugs me constantly to trade it

By on Sunday, November 10, 2013

Pros: "Comfort, roomy, decent power for a 1.8L, reliable"

Cons: "interior rattles, come with bad tires"

Stopped in Gilroy, Ca on a 2,300 mile trip the first month of ownership. It's an absolute pleasure driving the Versa.

"I flat out said I wouldn't trade it for anything. This car has been incredibly reliable. The only thing that has gone wrong with it was a passenger power door lock actuator which was under warranty. I will say this about the Continental tires it came with. They had tread separation problems and they produced poor milage results. For the first year (about 12,000 miles) it never got better than 25 mpg. When I replaced the tires around the 35,000 mile mark I instantly started seeing 29 or 30 mpg depending on how fast I drove and if the AC was on. Verdict: Continental tires suck your gas milage. Ditch them for better tires. I'm betting when I replace the shocks I'll gain a few more mpg. This car is Roomy with a capital R for it's class and the seats are very comfortable. On a trip my mother and I took the first month I had it I easily drove 6 or 7 hours a day with only short stops for a quick meal and to use the restroom. I never drove more than 5 hours a day with previous cars I owned. I love it and you can't have it!!"

By on Monday, December 31, 2012

"I bought my brothers 2007 Nissan Versa off him almost a year ago. He bought the car from the original owners with only 30k miles on it. Since my brother bought the car, it has been a real trooper with only several complaints. Overall the car runs nice, and requires minimal maintenance here, and there(mostly wear and tear). Since 30k, we've replaced front tires(50k), and brakes all around(60k). Just the other day, i swapped out the original swaybar links up front because of an annoying clunk, and the car rides much better after doing so. The light illuminating the lock button on the driver side has gone out, and unfortunately, the rear windows will not roll up when you use the front control(they do work from the rear seats) this is bothersome but the quote is around $400 to have them fixed. Besides these problems, I've only done oil changes every 5k. My previous car was a 1996 Honda Accord 4cyl and I must say this is a huge improvement over the old Accord. It feels much lighter, and 10x's more fun to drive. The peppy feeling this car has makes it enjoyable to drive. Acceleration is junky at highway speeds, but off the line, it's got some GO for a measly 1.8. Overall I enjoy this car tremendously, and hope the reliability extends throughout its lifetime. As far as functionality goes, this hatchback is excellent. It will perfectly fit a specialized enduro in the boot with a quick drop of the back seats, and a tad scoot forward from the passenger seat. Just this week, i threw in a buddies 9'6 Bing elevator and the board fit perfectly without an inch to spare. Overall, this little hatchback is a ton of fun to drive with plenty of space for an active persons daily lifestyle!!"

Okay Car

By on Monday, May 11, 2009

"I have a S 2007 model and overall it is pretty great... gas milage just at 30, I have never gotten over 31. It lacks get up and go that for me is a must but other than that it is very spacious and reliable. I just wish it had more power behind it. Great for the money... btw mine was an automatic."

Great value very comfortable, minor issue when icy

By on Tuesday, February 10, 2009

"When i test drove this, the first thing i realized is that it felt more expensive than all the other cars in its price class- the seats were FAR more comfortable, it is quieter (less road noise) and the quality of the mechanics makes for a smooth and more powerful feeling drive than others in its price class. Also, my husband is 6'2" and the nissans in general have far more head room than the the competitors for tall people. It also has a suprising amount of leg room in both front and back seats considering how small it looks on the outside. I have taken it between Massachusetts and South Carolina and is comfortable for long trips. The trunk space is sufficient for large grocery trips, but not so big that I am tempted to leave random clutter back there - forces me to organize. The hatchback feature allows large items to be fit with ease, fit the boxes of a desk, hutch, and office chair (before assembly), groceries and 2 people with ease. I love the CVT transmission! No more worries about struggling to change gears. The only complaints I have is that access to the gas cap is through a swtich that, when icy outside, requires two people to use: one to pull the switch near the steering wheel and one to push the gas door open on the opposite side. However this is only when it is icy. It is also not streamlined enough to be quiet when the windows are open, however i did not expect this in a car in this price range. My other complaint is that the hatchback was not available in interesting colors like orange. I prefer earth colors and was reduced to metallic color choices. Overall though, great car very comfortable, reliable and feels like great quality. Love that my tall husband fits comfortably."

Good vehicle

By on Wednesday, April 09, 2008

"I have only had this car for a couple weeks, so mileage has been questionable -- 36 mph (some freeway) and 26 mph (city/highway). Pros: Seats seem to be nice for an inexpensive car, and the price was a good deal. I haven't driven on too many mountainous roads, so the pick up and go seems great to me (zippy). Power mirrors. Back seat area seems roomy. I had a Saturn, and this car is much higher. Safety seems pretty good, and it offers the side curtain. Cons: So called optional floormats and kickplate. Poorly placed cupholders. Not a lot storage space, and it's not really easy to haul a lot of things as the seats aren't flat when folded. It's also inconvenient as you can only open the hatch when the driver's door is unlocked, and there isn't a secondary way to open it (i.e. key option). I would suggest purchasing the power package. My co-worker is on her second Versa as the first was totaled (she felt completely safe and secure, though); she loved the 1st one, and she really loves the 2nd one with ... CVT?"

saves me money

By on Friday, November 16, 2007

"I am 6'8" and drive 100 miles a day to wook i need a car that i could fit in a nd get good gas mileage. I fit and right now i am averaging 32 miles to the gallon. A 14 miles per gallon more then my previous mini van"

Great Hatchback

By on Monday, October 15, 2007

"I love the comfort of my 2007 Versa SL. The CVT tranny is awesome when it comes to pickup speed to enter traffic. It is also smooth and quite. It handles well on curses as I did 60 on a 45mph curve. The car hugged it nicely and effortlessly. The interior quality surprised me in a good way. The roomyness inside is great, front and back. Blue tooth and 6 CD changer are nice options that I use all the time. I test drove the Honda Fit Sport and Toyota Yaris and the Versa won over hands down. I recommend the Versa over any hatchback in it's class."

I cried when I had to trade it for a bigger car

By on Friday, November 01, 2013

Pros: "roomy, fuel efficient, peppy"

Cons: "arm rest too short"

My Baby! The best car I ever owned.

"My Versa was an SL model, which I bought new in 2007. I test drove it b/c it had the largest interior space as any car in its class-- and I did sit in every one to compare cabin space. The Vera was by far the roomiest. It also was the most gas efficient vehicle at that time that could store a full-sized real estate sign in the hatchback with out a lot of gyration(including the Prius). What sold me was the Continuous Variable Transmission. I thought that this little 4 cyclinder vehicle would never give me the pep and confidence of my previous 6 cyl cars- I was wrong. The CVT (and whatever else they put in there)gives you so much power over reg 4 cyl vehicle. I was shocked. Second nice surprise, feeling the shift is almost non-existent. Great pick-up, and with the size of the Versa, I was able to zip around the highway so freely that I received the only 2 speeding tickets I ever got in my life during the first 2 years of ownership. I had to learn to hold that puppy back! I was pleasantly surprised, too, with the all the features and extras I got with my vehicle. My friend bought the Toyota "peer" in the same month. My Versa was more comfortable, had a smoother ride and had way more options and features as her Toyota at the same price. For the first 4 years, I rode it hard: over 22,000 miles/ year. Over recent the recent 3 years, it has carried me from VA to CA, and to Canada and back- twice. It has been virtually trouble-free: just brakes (once), tires (twice) and recently, the CVT transmission went out (at 105K miles) and Nissan replaced it at $0 cost to me. One other thing I had fixed recently was a wire in the steering wheel that got twisted, taking out the audio controls on the left side of the steering wheel-- a convenience item. I could not have been more thrilled with this vehicle. I think it get ignored or under-rated. I cried when I had to trade-up to a larger vehicle. Guess what I bought? A Nissan. -from a former Chrysler/Chevy/Oldsmobile/Ford/Honda owner"

My Baby! The best car I ever owned.

very economical on gas

By on Saturday, November 10, 2012

"My last 3 vehicles have been Nissans. Very satisfied with quality and customer service."

Good for the money

By on Friday, March 12, 2010

"I have owned this car for a little over 2 years now. It is very reliable and I love my Versa. I absolutely love the style of it. The few problems I have with my car is that mine didn't come with a pop trunk option so I have to get out to open it instead of just popping it. And the lights don't come on automatically. Very silly stuff not to be happy about I guess. There is also one other issue... after about a year and a half I guess... my car started making this little clicking type noise. I took it in and they said one of my motor mounts was broken. They replaced that and the noise was still there so I took it back. They inspected it and said that all of the versas make that noise, it is just some kind of pump in the car. I told them it didn't used to make that noise and they said they all do eventually make that noise. Now.... they could have been lying but they all might do that, I don't know. Other than that, my car has been great. As long as you get your checkups and oil changes everything then you should be good. The cup holders are in a little bit of awkward places but I've gotten used to it. Hope this helps!"

Great Little CAr

By on Tuesday, May 19, 2009

"I bought this car back in 2007 when our family was growing by one more. We had a 97 Saturn and it was impossible to fit two baby seats in the back of my old Saturn. I bought this car after reading about it from European magazines. The car is great. Had a bit of a problem with a gas line but it was handled quickly by the dealer. I have gone on road trips and I have found the space more then adequate. Just slap a roof rack and you are good to go. The one thing I was a bit dissapointed was the lack of an all wheel ABS in the SL line at the time of my purchase. Other then that, the car is a true winner."

Pretty good car

By on Monday, April 06, 2009

"This is pretty zippy car. I wanted to add my review after driving it in the winter. Although it's a cute car and usually fairly comfortable, it's not the best cold weather condition car --at least if you do not have a garage. I didn't have a problem with the driving and manuevering, but it takes a long time for windows to defrost, and I've never had so much ice collect on the wipers while driving. It's a great car, but if you live in a non-temperate area and you can afford a car more suited for winter, I'd suggest considering a different car. Price is great though!"

to small for comfort

By on Sunday, March 22, 2009

"i am 6'3" anad get cramps when on long trips.It has been in shop for electricla problems 4 times in less than year and took 3 dealers to find problem.It really bogs down on hills and mileage nowhere near est mileage.I bought this car because of financing problem but will never buy Nissan again.To expensive and get the shaft on promised and written options"