2009 Nissan Versa

8.4

Based on 498 Ratings for the 2007 - 2011 models.

2008 Nissan Versa Hatchback

By on Tuesday, May 26, 2009

"The Versa is a zippy little all-around-town car but nothing sexy. It does not get the mileage figures Nissan gives out, so forget about those. It has a very high ride which I like. I can finally sort of see over some of the smallish SUV's and when I go to the fast food places, I'm right up there looking into the window which is an odd feeling after my very low-riding vintage Mercedes which was a nightmare to get in and out of with bad knees. High ride, good, lots of passenger room front and back, really good. Decent sound system without upgrading and a plug-in for my MP3 player is a plus. No ABS standard, bad. Not a good vehicle in high wind, gets blown all over the place. Also, at highway speed, don't open the windows, it will be nearly deafening in the front and back seats. Cooling passengers in the back is tricky. You have to point the front adjustable air vents straight up for the air to reach the back. Weird. Nice materials on interior are a plus. Trunk space seems small until you start really putting stuff in there, then it seems pretty roomy. I don't like the uneven back surface created when the back seats are put down to greatly increase the cargo space, but that's how this car is made so we live with it. A protector coming standard with this hatch back to protect the plastic area at the lower edge of the hatch would be nice, because this area really gets marked up by cargo easily. Also, I notice two places of missing paint on the bumper from normal, everyday use. I have no scratches o this car except on the cheaply painted front and rear bumpers. The undercarriage on the front scrapes in areas it shouldn't . Overall I like my Versa and will probably buy it at lease end in two years. I've had it a year."

Burnt clutch

By on Monday, December 22, 2008

"I was very happy with my Versa until i began having trouble engaging the clutch (stuttering) at about 6000 miles. I also had noticed a burning smell when i would park on a hill and have to back into a space. When i initially took the car in, the dealer's driver took it for a ride with me and said there was no problem with how the clutch handled. I've been driving standard transmission cars for 40 years and i think i knew better. However, i let it go. Finally, at 11,000 miles the car became undriveable. The dealer recommended a look at the clutch. When they pulled it, they found it burned out and the flywheel damaged. They refused to cover this under warranty (remember - 11K miles) since it was a "wear" part. Nissan refused to cover this also. The total cost for this was $2800!!! Needless to say I'm not happy with Nissan. On top of that, i still smell burning clutch when i reverse into a parking spot. The dealer reproduced that smell, but they still refuse to do anything about it. Definitely the last Nissan I buy."

Can't Beat It For The Money!

By on Monday, March 17, 2008

"I purchased my Versa S Hatchback in September 07. The vehicle currently has 18k miles. The only repair I've had performed was a tire air pressure sensor that malfuntioned. The local Nissan dealer performed the repair to my satisfaction. Gas mileage in the city has varied from 27-30 mpg depending on the season. Equipped with studded tires the mileage dropped off to 27 mpg this winter. Highway mileage has never been below 33 mpg and I have have obtained as high as 40 mpg when the vehicle was driven at 45-55 mph on a trip on the Oregon Coast. Highway mileage is typically 34-35 mpg. The vehicle is equipped with the manual 6 speed transmission. Bottom line on the gas mileage is that it all depends on how you drive. The interior room is great. I'm a tall guy and the Versa is much easier for me to get in and out of than my wife's 04 Nissan Maxima. It also has superior rear seat room for a small car. I wouldn't say the Versa is underpowered, but to get it to move out, you definitely have to get the rpm's above 3500. I understand that the Versa's top speed is 117 mph. That should be fast enough for most of us. The Versa rides well and is quiet on the highway. For the money it's one of the best car deals available."

Only one issue

By on Sunday, August 03, 2008

"I've owned my 2007 for two years and put 29000 on the car, but traded last week for a 2008 Versa SL with a few additional features. This is an outstanding car for a 6 foot 6 inch 61 year old guy. The leg room and comfort of the seats is excellent. The height adjustment for the driver is a real plus, as is the fold down armrest in the SL. The car always started. The CVT tranny is smooth with great acceleration off the line. Handling is fine with the electrically assisted steering. Road noise is nominal with engine noise only busy under heavy acceleration. The ride is great even with four adults in the car. Consistently, the mileage was 30 in town and 36 on the highway. which I consider superb. My car did not have ABS brakes, and the brakes, though very good, are subpar on snow/ice. The pads and shoes still had 75% left at 30,000, and the tires had more than 50% tread life left. So why trade it for a 2008? One singular important reason: the engine developed a persistent knock at 6500 miles. Three different dealers could not fix it, even with an engine tear down from the last dealer with oversight from a regional Nissan tech engineer. I was subsequently told that this is normal in the Versa. NOT! I've spoken with more than a few other Versa owners who said the problem didn't exist for them, and in each case they started their car for me to give a listen. They were right. Even my techs admitted the problem shouldn't be there. This was not a mild knock but so significant that numerous people heard it and asked me what was wrong with the engine. Frankly, I'd had it; but at the same time we loved the car so bought a new SL with all the bells and whistles. Love the intelligent key, bluetooth hands free phone link, premium sound system, and no engine knock. I'll be holding my breath until I pass 6500 miles. I would recommend this car unequivocally bearing in mind that I'm the only one who has complained about this type of noise to the best of my knowledge. There are other fine cars in the Versa SL's class for about the same money, but none of them have the visibility of the Versa, nor seat height or depth, nor more than ample front and rear leg and head room, nor load capacity. Interestingly I traded for only $2000.00 less than I paid for the car after driving it for a week short of two years, and nearly 30K miles. Wouldn't you consider that high trade in value at only a $1000.00 a year loss? Drive the car and decide for yourself. It's a good time to deal because dealers are motivated to liquidate the rolling stock they have on hand. $4.00 gasoline makes this more attractive day by day. Good luck in your search and purchase."

Nice value

By on Tuesday, November 06, 2012

Pros: "MPG,build quality,value"

Cons: "shocks"

"Bought this new in 7/10. Have had no real issues with the car.At the $16k prive point I was looking at low milage used cars, and the Toyotas,Hyundais, and Mazdas. The Versa felt the most...solid for a small car. Close the door and there is a real clunk, like a much larger car. Lots of interior room. I have had a bunch of hatches in my time, all VWs and like all of them when you put the rear seats down, there is plenty of room to haul stuff. They dont sit flat, but they sit better than most. Speaking of the rear seats, the room back sitting is GREAT. Very roomy. Our salesman stood a bit over 6 foot and he fit back there with ease! Getting around 33 mpg, mostly low speed thru town, highway will get 35+. Decent power out of the 1.8, and the belt driven trans has given me NO issues. Take a little to get used to, but it "shifts" very smooth. My only gripe is the shocks. They are rough.My Cobalt is much smoother over tracks than this car. Overall a decent value for the price. Resale is ehhh but if your looking for a runabout/work car that can haul stuff including a small family you could do worse than this car."