2014 Nissan Sentra Consumer Reviews

The Fair Market Range for this car in your area is $15,498 - $15,947.

10/7.5

7.7

Based on 64 Ratings for the 2013 - 2014 models.

7.4/10
Previous | 1 2 3 | Next

City Car

By on Saturday, April 06, 2013

Pros: "price, comfort, features, interior and boot volume"

Cons: "acceleration from stop, ride a little stiff"

"We bought a new 2013 Sentra SV w/navi and alloy wheels. The car is smooth and super efficient. However, remember it's not an Altima even though it looks closely like one and hence is slow to pick up or accelerate. We found no problems with entering freeways or ramps, however this usually happens from about driving at 40-50mph. Accelerating from traffic stops though is a little pain. More so in the ECO mode. In the 256 miles we drove, we reached about 29.8mpg in combined driving conditions (starting from 26) and expect it to go higher. The interiors are huge and ride is smooth, if not a little stiff but we are upgrading from a 2003 Mitsubishi Galant so hey no complaints on that! The voice recognition is spotty and we are yet to figure out a way to train the system. The boot space is awesome, rear cam is good. Be mindful of the rear view/blindspots. The rear (C-pillars I presume) could block out some of the view and the high boot reduces the view (but most new cars are like this). For the money, it is worth it. Though, 256 is still relatively new. Would wait to see how it performs further."

Terrible Front Seats

By on Monday, April 01, 2013

Pros: "Fuel Economy"

Cons: "Front Drivers Seat/ Armrest"

"I purchased this car one week ago on March 25, 2013. I traded down from a 2011 Nissan Altima Special Edition. I dont expect it to completely compare to an Altima as I realize that they are very much different cars. So, far, I love my Sentra...the gas mileage is unbelievable...but the front drivers seat is one of the most uncomfortable that I have ever experienced. It was not appreant in the short test drive...especially when your comapring all the different features. I became noticefull the first day after driving it for about an hour. Now, my low back feels pressure and numb each time that I dive it more than 30 minutes. In addition, the armrest/Console is too low and back to far. It feels as though it nonexistent."

They went back to the analog fuel gauge, new looks

By on Friday, March 22, 2013

I don't own this car

Pros: "Looks, analog fuel gauge, great fuel economy."

Cons: "1.8 liter engine w/130hp instead of the 2012 140hp"

"Nissan has made some changes since the 2012 and previous model years. 1 They went with a 1.8 liter engine and reduced the horsepower from 140 to 130. The Dodge Dart, Subaru Impreza, Ford Focus, Hyundai Elantra, Kia Rio, Mazda3, Chevy Sonic/Cruze and Toyota/Scion offerings either equal or are exceed what Nissan has to offer. I am glad they went with an analog fuel gauge."

I love it!

By on Monday, March 04, 2013

Pros: "Affordable, roomy, great on gas"

Cons: "Armrest unusable"

"I've only had the car a few weeks now but I absolutely love it. There's a ton of room in this thing for a small sedan. I have the SR with the driver's package which has the push button start, iPod hookup, and Bluetooth which are the main features I was interested in. I'm getting 33mpg avg right now and it keeps getting better each week. Overall the ride is smooth with very little road noise in my opinion. If you're looking for something roomy, affordable, and good on gas this is it. I wii come back and update after I've had the car a little longer."

Disappointed

By on Thursday, February 21, 2013

Pros: "fun exterior, friendly technology, roomy"

Cons: "underpowered engine, arm rest unusable"

"I purchased the SR version and have been driving it for just over 3 months now. There are quite a few things to like about this car. The exterior is youthful and aggressive compared to the last generation. The technology included in this trim is a good value and very user-friendly and intuitive. This includes a 5" nav screen with back up camera, xm radio, bluetooth capabilities, voice command, red backlit steering wheel controls and the USB slot/charger slot in the middle console just to name a few. The trunk is huge for a car this size and the interior is surprisingly roomy. Unfortunately, this car is all looks and no substance. The biggest con for this car is the grossly underpowered engine. I expected reduced power for increased gas mileage but it feels like they sacrificed too much for so little return. Having driven other Nissans I am very familiar with CVT transmissions but this one is jerky and feels strained under normal acceleration. If you find yourself in a situation where you have to hit the gas the underwhelming engine sounds like a glorified golf cart and doesn't accelerate much faster than one either. I guess you could overlook the lack of power since the gas mileage is supposed to be great but this leads me to major problem #2. I do the vast majority of my driving going 55mph or less. I am only getting 26-27mpg! And this isn't city traffic full of red lights and stops. This is decent back roads and some stop signs. I have made one long 400 mile roundtrip and was able to get 40mpg going 60-65mph on the highway with little traffic and that was great. But as another previous poster stated, the gas mileage diminishes significantly when 70mph and over or when using the cruise control at these speeds (even with eco boost). My family has had at least one Nissan in our driveway for the last 12 years and we have always been very satisfied with their quality and value. I still think this car is a respectable choice for long haul daily commuters and older folks who aren't quite ready to drive sedans. But I think the majority of drivers will be disappointed with the lack of power from what on the outside looks like a sports car. It just plain isn't fun to drive and as soon as it makes financial sense I plan on upgrading to an Altima or Maxima."

Very comfortable and impressive car!

By on Friday, February 15, 2013

Pros: "Fuel Economy, Roominess, Styling (SR)"

Cons: "Unusable Armrest, Numb Steering, Lack of power."

"I bought this car to use for a commuter and more fuel efficient vehicle for family use. Mine is the SR Trim. The quality of materials and craftsmanship are excellent. This car feels like it cost a lot more than it really does. I use it primarily to commut 20 miles, 1/2 city & 1/2 freeway to and from work. With my commuting I have been averaging 33.4 mpg. Last week we took it on a trip to visit my daughter and we got 42.3 mpg (312.6 miles and used 7.39 gallons. I was highly impressed. At 70 mph it was turning 1750 rpms. I expected a lot more for a 130 hp 1.8 L 4 cylinder. I only have a few complaints. The armrest on the center console is too far back and is almost useless unless you slide the seat all the way back. Also the steering feels a little over boosted and numb at times as well as it doesn't completely self center, so it is always requiring input. And of course it does feel a little under powered but I am happy with it because it is more than ample for everyday use and the fuel economy makes up for it. So overall I am very happy with my purchase."

Super Great Value

By on Sunday, February 10, 2013

Pros: "Economy, roominess, well finished inside & out"

"Nissan did a great job in redesigning the Sentra. Have the car for about a month now. Love how it drives. Fantastic economy. Get mpg in the low 40's driving mostly highway with some local in economy mode. Get around 40 mpg in normal mode. Acceleration is more than adequate for normal driving. It rides well and the handling is fine. The interior room is much more than one would expect - more like a mid sized car than a compact - much roomer than its competition. The rear view camera useful in backing into parking spaces and very helpful when parallel parking. Navigation works well. Can use Bluetooth to play music through the phone by connecting to Pandora."

Great mileage, handling, space and features

By on Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Pros: "Great gas mileage, style and handling"

Cons: "CVT transmission rev and small gas tank"

"I drove this car for a 16- hour road trip after my purchase and was very impressed with the performance. The first three fill ups averaged over 36 mpg on the road with a fully loaded trunk and backseat. The Bluetooth, radio, and Tech package are outstanding. The cars new style, comfort, and looks are superior over most of the competition- even for a six foot tall person. Handling was great, but don't expect great gas mileage or speed response if you gun it. The CVT transmission is similar to other cars with the same drivetrain like the Prius and does limit performance. Nissan does give the three different drive modes to compensate. Mileage will probably average under 30-mpg in town. I do wish the gas tank was larger for a long trip. The CVT transmission does rev like most others, but is not a problem with a lighter touch. Overall, this car is an awesome car for under 20K."

Not what it promised

By on Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Pros: "Comfort"

Cons: "Lower than expected gas mileage, horsepower"

"I was so excited to get the new Sentra after trading in a 2002 model. Mostly, I bought this car for the Nissan name and the gas mileage. So far the car is comfortable and classy, but the gas mileage is no where near what is advertised. The tank is small, so you're getting fewer miles in between fill-ups. I do a combination of city/highway driving, probably a little more city, but I always use the eco drive mode. My four tank fill ups so far have averaged 28, 30, 31, and 25 MPG. That's no where near the 34 combined that's advertised in regular drive mode, and it's actually about what I was getting in my 11 year old car. The car drives like a dream over 30 miles an hour, but it is shuddery under that point as it shifts and it takes a lot of gas pressure just to get it moving, forget if it's up a hill. The vehicle I test drove didn't seem to have those issues, but when I brought mine back to the dealership to have it checked, they said that's just the way the car is made."

Drives well, nice features and MPG

By on Thursday, January 10, 2013

Pros: "Attractive car, great MPG and spacious interior"

Cons: "Navigation updates are expensive ($150 a year)"

"(Review note: Apparently KBB does not like line breaks in its reviews, so this will look like one big block of text. Terribly sorry about that.) After test driving the Mazda 3, Chevy Cruze and Nissan Sentra, I ultimately decided on the Sentra SL for nice interior, drive quality and city MPG. Car and Driver hated this car, claiming its weak horsepower makes it "not fun to drive." If twitchy, overly sensitive gas pedals are your definition of "fun to drive," then by all means get a Mazda 3. There was nothing wrong with the Cruze, but just too small for a guy my height. If you like middle of the road handling that gives you the ability to gun it when you want to or drive conservatively, then you'll like this Sentra. Exterior: The exterior has a classy, almost luxury-car style. My SL has a very attractive silver trim around the doors and windows. The look, as Car and Driver points out, is somewhere between a Versa and an Altima. This is not a negative point - it looks better than a Versa and not quite as cool as an Altima, but close. If you get the SR package, you get a rear spoiler that looks pretty nice but serves no practical purpose. The keyless features are very cool and make sure you never have to take your key out of your pocket. For me, the car is perfectly sized, being incredibly roomy while still being a compact. Interior - Driver controls: The steering wheel is pretty standard, but nothing to complain about. I do agree with previous reviewers that the gauges are a little bit dated (digital MPH would have been nice), but the Sentra does have a screen for your odometer, trip calculators, average and current MPG, and even current gas pedal throttle, which shows you what range you should be in for optimum gas efficiency. The auto lights are convenient but don't be an idiot like me - if your parking lights are on and your headlights are set to auto, then your headlights will be always on. Interior - Technology: I got the Navigation package, which includes a nicely sized screen with GPS navigation. The screen doubles as a radio/bluetooth/MP3 player controller, so I'm not sure how those would work without it. Scrolling through the radio is very easy, and the steering wheel has a switch for going up and down preset stations. I guess this is supposed to replace the Scan function, because as far as I can tell the Sentra with navigation does not have it (in a lot of radios, pressing the Scan button will find the next good station, let you listen to it for a few seconds, and then continue to the next one). This might just be an error on my part though. You can play your music through Bluetooth, which is a very nice feature since I buy all my music on my phone with Amazon MP3, so it's great to be able to play them all as soon as I enter my car. Any music app you have will work since the audio is just piped through Bluetooth. I haven't tried these features but you can play songs on a USB stick or hard drive, which is very cool and I imagine would be great for a road trip with friends. The default sound system is nice, bassy and clear. I do not have the Bose system but I imagine its great. The rear view camera is extremely convenient, especially when backing out of crowded shopping areas. The guide markers show you approximately how close objects are to you - be aware that these markers are aligned to the ground. It works very well in low light or no light situations. The GPS navigation I believe is TomTom. It takes about 30 seconds to calculate a route to a given location. It is pretty accurate and I have no complaints, but it would have been nice if it showed the speed limit for the area. It does show you which freeway lanes you need to be in, which I have found convenient. Updated navigation packs from Nissan are a little annoying: they charge $150 dollars for an SD card that contains the current year's up-to-date maps. I could go out and spend less than $100 bucks on a Garmin with lifetime updates, or just use my phone's free built in and always up-to-date maps. Voice commands work well and are pretty spot on. It has the ability to send texts but only a limited number of canned responses, so no real speech-to-text like that found in Siri or Google Now. It will read your texts however, which I use all the time. Interior - Space: There is plenty of leg room in the front and the back. I was able to fit 3 people in the back without any awkward scrunching together. I imagine this would make it a good family car. The trunk space is also gigantic, large enough for me to climb inside it and shut it. Driving: I hit the speed limit dead on when I drive, so I'm not that bent up over acceleration or 0-to-60 speeds. I've been 75+ on the freeway and live in a town where most roads have a speed limit of 50 and have had no trouble keeping up or hitting the limit, and could certainly outpace them if I choose. The wheel feels tight and just sensitive enough to feel like you have a lot of fine control. Accelerating is smooth and nice. The car is pretty isolated from the road - I know KBB said it's not as isolated from the road as the Cruze, but my experience was the opposite. Maybe my model is different from what they tested with. There is no option for changing gears (because there are no "gears" in the Sentra thanks to the continuous variable tranmission). I certainly don't care about this because I loves me some automatic, but others seem to. The car has an Eco mode, which makes the engine essentially weaker, therefore theoretically using less gas. I'm not sure if the mode is actually useful. It may make the engine weaker, but it doesn't make the engine more efficient - it really just forces you to accelerate slower. If you to turn on the mode that shows you pedal throttle position and try to hit the green range, you will accelerate painfully slowly, potentially annoying the people behind you. Like I said, where I live the speed limit is 50, so if you live in a place where the limit is lower then you might benefit from this. I've been just a tad disappointed with the MPG of the car - if I really pay attention to accelerating slowly, then I can get 30+ city. If not, then I will get around 24-26. Maybe I just need to work on accelerating optimally. On the highway however, I get 42+ MPG, 45 if traffic is moving along the whole way. This is much better than expected and I'm pretty darn happy with this. All in all, great car, very minor negatives. If you're in the market for spending around ~22000 on a car, then this, the Mazda3, Chevy Cruze, Hyundai Elentra and Ford Focus are probably all in your list - the Sentra is a huge contender I ultimately ended up with it and am very happy with my decision."

2013 Sentra SL with Navigation Package

By on Thursday, January 10, 2013

"I had been reading up and interested in the all-new Sentra 2013 online since its oversea version was first introduced as the name of Sylphy, and way before Nissan unveiled it in US. The reason being was because I was driving a Sentra 2008, which BTW is a great commute car, and was looking to upgrade to a new commute car with good MPG. The inside-out redesign of Sentra 2013 peaked my interest with its new engine, new CVT transmission, and all new interior / exterior. So, when these Sentra hit the dealers around 10/16/2012, I got one of the first few in DFW area. After calling up local Nissan dealers and checking out a very first Sentra 2013 SR available in DFW area, I was however so disappointed. The interior of the SR model looks and feels cheaply made. The craftmanship, materials and color (charcoal interior) made me feel I rather sit and drive in my old Sentra 2008. This first impression was bad enough that made me feel not even like to test drive the car, though I did to sastify the saleman. A week later I decided to give it a second chance as another dealer contacted me to check out couple Sentra 2013 they just received. I was in love as I cheched out and tested drive the Sentra 2013 SL trim with Navigation package (with Marble gray interior). I really don't know what was going on, but this SL model made the SR one I tried earlier looks like a fake or defective fist batch of Sentra 2013. Anyway, below are what I feel about the car after over two months driving it. Exterior: The overall exterior looks very style and seems bigger than the actual size of the car. First glance makes you feel it is mid-size sedan. The SL trim comes with alloy wheels, fog lights, auto headight, the turn-signal lights on outside mirrors and front / back LED lights make it looks like one of those luxury cars Interior: The SL trim comes with premium cloth and maple wood trim which seems to make a huge difference comparing to that of the SR model I tried, especially in marble gray color. Plus, the leather-wrap steering wheel and shift node, soft touch interior, intelligent key, dual-zone temperature that come with the trim combined with the voice activate bluetooth, navigation system, backup camera in the Navigation package make you feel like you are in a much more expensive luxury car. The heating vents under front seats come handy in the cold weather for passensers in the back seats. The ceiling pad however is made of cheap material that looks and feels like carboard. Front seats don't seem to have thick padding to provide comfort for long trip. However, the driver seat and the steering wheel adjustments can be adjusted to fit all driver sizes. You can also adjust the driver seat to lift UP to sitting position like those in SUVs and for better driving view. For the back seats, there is plenty of leg room. My small 5'2" wife is able to fit in comfortly between the two boosters on the back seat, and that she and the kids can get in/out easily with the roomy leg room. The compartment is kinda small comparing to that of my 2008 Sentra. Trunk space is surpisely huge. It comes with emergency release and can be remotely opened with the intelligent key. Dashboard looks sporty and control buttons are well laid out(except for the 3 driving mode ones). The stereo on the SL trim comes with 6 speakers provide good audio. It also supports MP3 CDs as well as provide USB and AUX ports for additional audio / music source. It also can synch and play music from bluetooth support devices. The touch screen navigator works and operate awesome comparing to those portable ones available at retail stores. The voice activation is not that accurate (could be because of my accent); however, it at least allow you to train/record names for quick phone dial. It also comes with other features that I didn't have a chance to play with. Driving: Though come with a new small 1.8L engine, the Sentra 2013 is very responsive in acceleration, smooth and quiet due to the new CVT transmission with higher ratio comparing to my old Sentra 2008. Many people (including myself) performed the test drive without aware the availability of the 3 driving modes (Normal, Eco, and Sport buttons on the dashboard, underneath left of the steering wheel) the new Sentra (all trim) supports. Beside the normal mode, the Sport mode give more throttle and better response making you feel like driving on a V6 or V8 car needing to zip through peak-hour traffic. This is overcome the lack of responsive I found on CVT transmission in general, or my old Sentra 2008 in particular. In contrast, the ECO mode provide less throttle and automatically turn off AC if the car is being idle, which in turn provide better MPG. Gas mileage: The Sentra 2013 rated for 30/39 (city/highway) MPG. However, I believe it is underrated, depend on your commute and driving hobby. In my daily city commute to work, I typically get about 34-36MPG. If I cruise on highway at around 60Mph and with ECO mode on, I can get up to 44MPG. However, I found the MPG drops significantly if driving over 70Mph on ECO mode due to lach of power. Switching to Normal mode would give more power to ease push the speed to more than 70Mph and MPG is about 38-40MPG. My Sentra 2013 seems to provide best MPG with Exxon regular 87 gasoline. I tried other super 93 gasoline from both Exxon, Chevron, and other brands but resulted in lower MPG by surprise. Another tip I found is that the Sentra provdes better MPG with the first 2-3 gallons out of the full gas tank. After that, the MPG starts dropping. This also applied to my old Sentra 2008. I guess this is because it has something to do with the gas tank is part of the gas system of the car. Reliability: Since I only own this car for over two months, I cannot rate its reliability. I'll probably update the review after thowing around 50k miles on it. After all, if you are looking for a good car for typical daily commute, Sentra 2013 may be a perfect one. With only about 20k, you can have a almost loaded Sentra 2013 that looks and feels like a 30-40k luxury cars, while provide great MPG that is nearly available only on Hybrid cars."

Its value is higher than its cost...!

By on Friday, January 04, 2013

Pros: "Fuel economy."

Cons: "interior a little noizy."

"This new 2013 Nissan Sentra may call itself a compact sedan, but don't believe it. It has grown to the point where the term compact barely applies anymore."

Its value is higher than its cost...!

By on Friday, January 04, 2013

Pros: "Fuel economy."

Cons: "interior a little noizy."

Test Drive

By on Sunday, December 16, 2012

I want this car

Pros: "Very smooth transmission, Great radio, body style"

Cons: "Dated gauges"

"I have been doing some test drives for cars under 20. In the beginning Nissan really didnt have anything to peaked my interest. I just happened to be driving past a dealership and since ive known them to be reliable and have liked nissans in the past i thought i would at least take a look at what was available. I was pleasently suprised with the way the car felt when shifting. The svt transmission was almost undetectable while shifting. The steering could have been a little more crisp but it wasnt jumpy liek some new cars and was responsive.It handled bumbs rather nicely. It was enough to feel the road but not so much that it would rattle your bones. The gagues are a little dated and seemed like an after thought compaired to the Hoda Civic. The radio was far better then most in its class. All in all it was a really nice drive. I just dont feel it was the best drive. It did however land very easily in the number 2 spot of the 5 cars that i drove. Honda Civic Nissan Sentra Ford Fusion Ford Focus Subaru Impresa"

Previous | 1 2 3 | Next