2013 Nissan Sentra

7.7

Based on 100 Ratings for the 2013 - 2016 models.

7.4/10

Drives well, nice features and MPG

By on Thursday, January 10, 2013

Pros: "Attractive car, great MPG and spacious interior"

Cons: "Navigation updates are expensive ($150 a year)"

"(Review note: Apparently KBB does not like line breaks in its reviews, so this will look like one big block of text. Terribly sorry about that.) After test driving the Mazda 3, Chevy Cruze and Nissan Sentra, I ultimately decided on the Sentra SL for nice interior, drive quality and city MPG. Car and Driver hated this car, claiming its weak horsepower makes it "not fun to drive." If twitchy, overly sensitive gas pedals are your definition of "fun to drive," then by all means get a Mazda 3. There was nothing wrong with the Cruze, but just too small for a guy my height. If you like middle of the road handling that gives you the ability to gun it when you want to or drive conservatively, then you'll like this Sentra. Exterior: The exterior has a classy, almost luxury-car style. My SL has a very attractive silver trim around the doors and windows. The look, as Car and Driver points out, is somewhere between a Versa and an Altima. This is not a negative point - it looks better than a Versa and not quite as cool as an Altima, but close. If you get the SR package, you get a rear spoiler that looks pretty nice but serves no practical purpose. The keyless features are very cool and make sure you never have to take your key out of your pocket. For me, the car is perfectly sized, being incredibly roomy while still being a compact. Interior - Driver controls: The steering wheel is pretty standard, but nothing to complain about. I do agree with previous reviewers that the gauges are a little bit dated (digital MPH would have been nice), but the Sentra does have a screen for your odometer, trip calculators, average and current MPG, and even current gas pedal throttle, which shows you what range you should be in for optimum gas efficiency. The auto lights are convenient but don't be an idiot like me - if your parking lights are on and your headlights are set to auto, then your headlights will be always on. Interior - Technology: I got the Navigation package, which includes a nicely sized screen with GPS navigation. The screen doubles as a radio/bluetooth/MP3 player controller, so I'm not sure how those would work without it. Scrolling through the radio is very easy, and the steering wheel has a switch for going up and down preset stations. I guess this is supposed to replace the Scan function, because as far as I can tell the Sentra with navigation does not have it (in a lot of radios, pressing the Scan button will find the next good station, let you listen to it for a few seconds, and then continue to the next one). This might just be an error on my part though. You can play your music through Bluetooth, which is a very nice feature since I buy all my music on my phone with Amazon MP3, so it's great to be able to play them all as soon as I enter my car. Any music app you have will work since the audio is just piped through Bluetooth. I haven't tried these features but you can play songs on a USB stick or hard drive, which is very cool and I imagine would be great for a road trip with friends. The default sound system is nice, bassy and clear. I do not have the Bose system but I imagine its great. The rear view camera is extremely convenient, especially when backing out of crowded shopping areas. The guide markers show you approximately how close objects are to you - be aware that these markers are aligned to the ground. It works very well in low light or no light situations. The GPS navigation I believe is TomTom. It takes about 30 seconds to calculate a route to a given location. It is pretty accurate and I have no complaints, but it would have been nice if it showed the speed limit for the area. It does show you which freeway lanes you need to be in, which I have found convenient. Updated navigation packs from Nissan are a little annoying: they charge $150 dollars for an SD card that contains the current year's up-to-date maps. I could go out and spend less than $100 bucks on a Garmin with lifetime updates, or just use my phone's free built in and always up-to-date maps. Voice commands work well and are pretty spot on. It has the ability to send texts but only a limited number of canned responses, so no real speech-to-text like that found in Siri or Google Now. It will read your texts however, which I use all the time. Interior - Space: There is plenty of leg room in the front and the back. I was able to fit 3 people in the back without any awkward scrunching together. I imagine this would make it a good family car. The trunk space is also gigantic, large enough for me to climb inside it and shut it. Driving: I hit the speed limit dead on when I drive, so I'm not that bent up over acceleration or 0-to-60 speeds. I've been 75+ on the freeway and live in a town where most roads have a speed limit of 50 and have had no trouble keeping up or hitting the limit, and could certainly outpace them if I choose. The wheel feels tight and just sensitive enough to feel like you have a lot of fine control. Accelerating is smooth and nice. The car is pretty isolated from the road - I know KBB said it's not as isolated from the road as the Cruze, but my experience was the opposite. Maybe my model is different from what they tested with. There is no option for changing gears (because there are no "gears" in the Sentra thanks to the continuous variable tranmission). I certainly don't care about this because I loves me some automatic, but others seem to. The car has an Eco mode, which makes the engine essentially weaker, therefore theoretically using less gas. I'm not sure if the mode is actually useful. It may make the engine weaker, but it doesn't make the engine more efficient - it really just forces you to accelerate slower. If you to turn on the mode that shows you pedal throttle position and try to hit the green range, you will accelerate painfully slowly, potentially annoying the people behind you. Like I said, where I live the speed limit is 50, so if you live in a place where the limit is lower then you might benefit from this. I've been just a tad disappointed with the MPG of the car - if I really pay attention to accelerating slowly, then I can get 30+ city. If not, then I will get around 24-26. Maybe I just need to work on accelerating optimally. On the highway however, I get 42+ MPG, 45 if traffic is moving along the whole way. This is much better than expected and I'm pretty darn happy with this. All in all, great car, very minor negatives. If you're in the market for spending around ~22000 on a car, then this, the Mazda3, Chevy Cruze, Hyundai Elentra and Ford Focus are probably all in your list - the Sentra is a huge contender I ultimately ended up with it and am very happy with my decision."

Love This Car

By on Thursday, April 23, 2015

"I purchased this car after much research and consideration. I needed something with better gas mileage because my truck gets about 10mpg. I have always drove a truck and cars were very foreign to me. This car really has made me happy. I ultimately decided on this car because of the extra inch it sits up off the ground, 6.6 inches, as compared to al the other cars in its class, 5.5 inches. It may not seem like much but going from a lifted truck it meant a lot. Overall the exterior of the car is beautiful. It is classy and stylish but still cute and young. The led lights are a really nice touch and the silver accents on my SL model make the white really pop. My particular car came with a useless spoiler on the back which I guess is supposed to come with the SR version, and all mine does is collect dirt between it and the trunk. Otherwise the exterior is great. Inside, I chose black leather. The seats are very comfortable and adjust in all sorts of ways. The front seats will lay completely flat, which is great for more than just taking naps. You can lay the front passenger seat flat, fold the rear seat down, and now you have enough room to fit something long through the trunk and the rest of the car, super convenient! I have a beautiful color 5.1 inch display in my dash that has Nav, SXM radio, AM/FM, CD, Bluetooth, and even some apps from my phone like google search, Pandora, and facebook. The Bluetooth talking through the car on your phone is great, sound quality is excellent. I do not have the bose sound system but the factory system is excellent. Many reviews have complained that the gauges in the dash seem outdated, but I actually prefer the traditional ones to the digital ones, so it worked for me. plus the dash is beautifully lit with led lights which make it look more sophisticated. the two reading lights in the front are led and there is a very small led light that is constantly on at night which provides just enough light to easily find the cup holders or anything like that. The performance of the car is really nice to me. Some people have complained that the sentra is slow or a slug, I didn't buy a sports car, I bought a car that got great gas mileage. It has 183HP, you cant really expect 0-60 in 5 seconds. The ECO mode is great, I notice a difference when on longer drives, it is supposed to cut the gas intake by a margin so you get better fuel economy, and it does, on the highway. The ECO button isn't meant to be used in the city. The ride is smooth and the car is super quiet. The CVT transmission takes some getting used to after driving a V8 my whole life, you can watch the RPM gauge jump all over the place but you never feel or hear anything in the car. Overall, I am more than happy with my purchase and I would definitely buy this car again."

Great car

By on Friday, September 13, 2013

Pros: "Price, fuel economy"

Cons: "Black interior shows everything!"

"I just purchased my 2013 nissan sentra sv, upgraded from a 2008 dodge avenger (I do not recommend those cars to ANYONE!). The get-up and go isn't as prominent as in other vehicles, but it's suitable for my needs. I've found myself obsessed with keeping this car clean and presentable. Gas mileage is fantastic. I usually drive around town and am still getting 32 mpg. Eco on the highway is awesome."

Terrible Front Seats

By on Monday, April 1, 2013

Pros: "Fuel Economy"

Cons: "Front Drivers Seat/ Armrest"

"I purchased this car one week ago on March 25, 2013. I traded down from a 2011 Nissan Altima Special Edition. I dont expect it to completely compare to an Altima as I realize that they are very much different cars. So, far, I love my Sentra...the gas mileage is unbelievable...but the front drivers seat is one of the most uncomfortable that I have ever experienced. It was not appreant in the short test drive...especially when your comapring all the different features. I became noticefull the first day after driving it for about an hour. Now, my low back feels pressure and numb each time that I dive it more than 30 minutes. In addition, the armrest/Console is too low and back to far. It feels as though it nonexistent."

Poor Quality

By on Thursday, July 3, 2014

Pros: "Great Gas mileage"

Cons: "Breaks down constantly"

"I Purchased my 2013 Sentra in 11/2012 and within the first 3 months I had to take it back to the dealership 4 times because when I stopped the back wheel was making a screeching sound. That was finally resolved after the forth time. I've now had my car 1 year and 8 months and within the last month my vehicle has been at the dealership 3 times since it would not start. The first time they had it two weeks and had to replace the electrical harness. Since then it's been to the dealer 2 more times for the same issue. I feel very disappointed with the quality that was put into this vehicle. I will never buy a Nissan again."