1997 Nissan Sentra

8.2

Based on 230 Ratings for the 1995 - 1999 models.

The Sentra!

By on Saturday, November 12, 2011

Pros: "Gas milage, realiability, over all value"

Cons: "Not a lot of power"

Rain or Shine, she's ready to drive

"I have owned my car for 12 years now. I bought the car in 1999 with 16k miles on it. Now, twelve years later, its still alive and kicking! This car has been nothing but reliable and a pleasure to drive. Although it is a touch slow with the 1.6 liter GXE version that I have, the gas milage and over all value is great. I would definitely recommend this car to anyone along with most of the Nissan line up."

Rain or Shine, she's ready to drive

Very nice worth buying

By on Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Pros: "GREAT gas mileage, VERY Reliable and last forever!"

Cons: "Some common issues. Interior could use improvement"

"I bought with 140k miles. I picked it up for only 750$ manual transmission. These cars have common issues including a windshield wiper arm that stops working and sometimes a power steering pressure hose leak. Rear breaks last til about 150k. HVAC resistor module also goes out on these. Other then that these cars require very little maintenance and gets EXCELLENT gas mileage and go a lot longer than ANY american made (ford,dodge,GM) vehicle will go!"

still goin'

By on Friday, January 23, 2009

"i own a 97 sentra...it has truly served me well. it has gotten me through 2 yrs of grad school (traveling at least an hour each way) and through 2 years of under-grad, and multiple trips out of state (the carolinas, alabama, and i think tenn once) i have had the car for about 8 years now. i am now a little over 211,000 miles and it's still kickin'. the biggest repair i've had was to get some new struts (i think that's the name) it does need some minor repairs but overall it has done a great job-is doing a great job. i'm car shopping now, but if i didn't have a growing family now i would totally go with another sentra...they are worth it! i love my sentra! oh and when i got my sentra it had a little over 82000 miles on it...so it's been a car that has been around if you know what i mean..."

Awesome Vehicle

By on Monday, October 05, 2009

"I bought my 97 Nissan Sentra XE in 2004 and am the 2nd owner. It had 148,000 miles when I bought it and now has 227,300 miles and still going!?!?!?!? The interior looks horrible but thats due to three kids, I hit a deer at about 25mph (I slowed down as much as I could) and it only dented the hood slightly, broke the grill in half, and left a headlight dangling. This is my 2nd car and I didn't want to get it at first because it wasn't "pretty" but It will be with me forever now. It this car can handle my driving it can handle anyones. I tend to think its a four wheeler....lol Wouldn't trade "Ol' Bessie" for anything."

Best Vehicle for the money

By on Friday, May 15, 2009

"I had this car for 11 years and it have 301,000 miles now and still going, i never had any problem with regards to engine trouble, I changed oil regularly and had 3 brake job in past."

I love my Sentra

By on Saturday, May 19, 2012

He is a work in Progress!

"My first official car turned out to be my lil Sentra and I love him <3 He takes me everywhere and makes sure I get there safe. Only had one problem and it was overheating because I needed to replace the radiator and water pump. And yet it still got me home that day. I will never rid of it!"

He is a work in Progress!

Love this car!

By on Wednesday, April 04, 2012

Pros: "Comfortable, Great MPG, Cheap Matience,"

Cons: "No remote access."

"It's been such a good car for being 15 years old! Only broken down once on me, and i just had to replace the alternator. It has given me trust in Nissan. I get great mileage as well."

good for college

By on Tuesday, May 03, 2011

"My parents bought this car brand new in '99, and have always taken pretty good care of it. It gets great gas mileage, and I've only ever had minor problems with it, such as oil leaks and a bad starter. Not much to boast in terms of performance, but not a big deal if you don't care about not being able to go 0-60 in 3 seconds. It's just a good reliable car that meets all the needs of a college kid."

good vehicle so far....

By on Saturday, January 02, 2010

"i purchased this vehicle (99 gxe model)approximately 6 months ago,when i bought it i knew that the axles had to be replaced and i also knew that this model did not have a timing belt,it actually has a chain.for those of you who dont know this is good because you dont have to worry about your timing belt snapping on you and losing your engine.i gave the car a complete tune-up and so far runs like a baby,very good production year."

By on Monday, September 07, 2009

"I bought mine used in 1998 with 11,000 miles on it. Today in Sept. of 2009 it now has over 300,000 on it. It has been the least expensive care I have ever owned. It has been an amazing car. I have done basic maintenance( oil, brakes, tires, fluids, etc.) on it and little else. If you are looking for something inexpensive yet reliable, this car is it."

Good choice

By on Tuesday, August 19, 2008

"I downsized from a big truck to my 99 Sentra recently, and have put hundreds of city and highway miles on it. The seat took getting used to (no lumbar support), but it is an excellent daily driver, though with just enough power. With 4 people and a trunk full of luggage, I got 32 mpg on a 170 mile trip! I think the next car I get after this is a newer Sentra, and for now I'm impressed with mine."

I love my car!

By on Sunday, July 20, 2008

"This is the most wonderful, most reliable car ever! It may not be amazingly beautiful or powerful, but at 34mpg, it's worth it!! I've owned this car for almost 5 years, and put less than $500 worth of repairs/maintenance into it. I highly recommend it, especially as a first car for a new driver (it was mine!)."

Love this car!!

By on Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Pros: "Only minor repairs, great gas mileage, zippy!"

Cons: "None!"

"I bought this car new 17 years ago! Wow, did I get my monies worth! It's a 5-speed and I've never had the clutch nor the transmission replaced. The car as only needed minor repairs. It has gotten as high as 45 mpg and typically 32 in town. It's a solid car. The best car I've ever owned!"

Recommending you to buy 1 either New or Used

By on Thursday, January 12, 2012

Pros: "Extremely Reliable"

Cons: "seats are alittle too firm but still comfortable"

"I purchased this car used and with Normal Maintance will pass car to my teen with in the year. I have NEVER had this car break down or leave me standed. I recommend anyone and everyone to buy a Sentra if you want a car that doesnt need to go to the shop and that you can truely rely on. Mia"

definitely got my money's worth

By on Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Pros: "good gas mileage, very reliable"

Cons: "no intermittent wipers"

"I have a 1999 Nissan Sentra GXE. I bought it new with 14 miles on it. It now has 240,000 and I still drive it 80 miles a day to work. Other than tires and a few minor things (new heating element, headlight, timing belt) I haven't had any problems. It isn't a Lexus by any means, but if youre looking for good gas mileage and reliability, you can't beat it. I just bought a 2012 Sentra--am hoping it gets me to retirement!"

Car ows me nothing!

By on Thursday, May 27, 2010

"I bought this car in 2002 with 41K miles for $6000. It now has 238,000 miles and runs great without burning oil! The front main seal did cause an oil leak for awhile, but if you are at all handy it only took 45 min and $15 to replace. The hood and headlights get changed occasionally with the help of the local deer, but other than that the clutch is the only major work ever done! I have changed tires, brakes and basic wear parts many times but that is just maintenance. I wouldn't hesitate to jump in it now for a long trip. My biggest complaint is probably bad cup holders (picky I know but it matters) and limited power with the 1.6L. On the positive side the gas mileage had been 32 mpg with combination city/hwy driving. It also handled very well in the NY winter snow for a small 2WD. Highly recommended car if oil and maintenance was kept up. I bet mine makes it to 300K at least, assuming 4 legged critters allow it."

Don't let a cheap sentra pass you by

By on Friday, October 03, 2008

"I was killing my savings driving my Chevy truck (350). I have owned several sentra's, and recently purched another based on the solid reputation this car has shown me as a mechanic for over 15 years, and now I can begin to see some of my money. It takes $31.00 to fill this sentra and I am calculating 320 miles before that is done somewhere around 30 miles to the gallon. My truck takes $130 to fill and 31 dollars would get me about 45 miles. thats 7 times better than my chevy. I will keep my chevy for the hard work, but I need a nissan sentrra to get around with."

It Keeps Going

By on Monday, September 08, 2008

"I bought the car new. It has ben great on gas and no major repairs. It's at 160,000 and I've ben told it will get at least 200,000. Glad I purchased this car way back when."

love my sentra!

By on Sunday, May 18, 2008

"My mom bought this car new in 1998, and gave it to me as a college graduation present in 2001. The sentra is such a great car. Extremely reliable, inexpensive to maintain, great gas mileage. It's not built for speed or looks, but for basic transportation, you really can't beat it. Besides standard maintenance, the only problem I've ever had was a sticky ignition (which I eventually replaced)... and I think this is pretty amazing given that the car is ten years old and has 120K miles on it. I try not to brag about it too much, since I don't want to make my friends jealous, but I seriously think it's the perfect car. Hoping to drive it for another 120K!"

good car

By on Tuesday, September 11, 2007

"Good car. Good mileage..I used to get abput 30-32 MPG on highway (if you drive at 65-70 MPH). The power of this car is low, so can't expect the car to keep up the speed on uphills and when vehicle is loaded. If you drive the car at 75MPH+, engine makes so much noice that makes you slow down to 65-70 MPH. I owned this car for 2 years. I had to change the rear suspension and all 4 breaks. Overall the car is good. I would recommend this car to some college going kid (save some money on gas)."

Pretty cool car

By on Tuesday, September 04, 2007

"Im a college student and its the best car ever for me. I dont have to spend money on gas it must get 35 miles to the gallon. The air is cold and Ive never had to do any major work. Just change the oil etc."

Great reliable car

By on Saturday, September 01, 2007

"Got 225k miles out of my '96 Sentra, I loved it and it got awesome gas mileage. Bought a Toyota Corolla and I feel like I made a huge mistake not getting another Nissan, the gas mileage alone doesn't even come close--I can't even get 30 mpg on the Corolla, I was getting 37-40 mpg on Sentra!"

Very good reliable car for a bargain price

By on Monday, August 27, 2007

"Hi, Had the 1998 Nissan Sentra GXE car for 4 years. Very good and reliable car for the price I paid for it. I had to replace the alternator and timing belt after 80K miles. But most of the websites about this car say that that is the average time for the car. Apart from the normal wear and tear and routine maintenance , I never had to get anything done. CM"

Great car

By on Wednesday, August 08, 2007

"I bought this car new in Dec. of '98 and can't part with it. It is one of the best cars I've had and is still solid. I've had no major work done at all and it is tight as can be. The clutch hasn't needed any adjusting as of yet after almost 150,000 mile. The car has a tight ride and handles very well. I would recommend it to anyone looking for a small gas saver---I average 36 MPG. It just keeps getting better!!!"

Bought used at 80,000m

By on Sunday, October 06, 2013

"It's low and small so the car handles great. thought it was a junker at $500, but is really fun to drive. og transmission works great-shifts smoothly, light rattling when car first idles. a lot of fun to drive."