2002 Nissan Quest

7.9

Based on 108 Ratings for the 1999 - 2002 models.

Proven Design, Excellent Value, Still looks modern

By on Monday, December 19, 2011

Pros: "Value, dependability, comfort"

Cons: "Watch the plastic sliding door handles"

"We bought the van new in April, 2002. We now have 118K miles on her. The only unscheduled problem we have had was the axle boots ripped open around 62K miles, so we replaced both axles. This repair was completely unexpected as the vehicle is always garaged and not abused. When it hit 105K, I changed the timing belt, water pump (preventive maintenance only...no issues at the time, just easy to get to while the timing belt was off), drive belts and spark plugs. She continues to run like a champ. We have the SE model which improves handling; however, you can definitely feel the bumps when you hit them. We get between 20 and 21 miles per gallon driving a 50/50 mix of highway and city driving. Right now, the only issue we have is the radio display fades in and out which is a common problem on these vehicles. There is a cheap repair where you resolder the power supply lead on a circuit board inside of the radio. Right now, it's not bad enough to mess with so we are leaving it alone. We have the captain's chairs in the middle row which is comfortable for the kids. We also have the overhead video player which the kids love. We, the grandparents, love it to. Just turn it on and the kids will not make a sound except for needed bathroom breaks and the I'm hungry, feed me calls. The van came with Goodyear tires which lasted approximately 40K miles. Then we put on a set of Yokohama Avid Touring S tires which lasted almost 65K miles. These were really quiet tires; however, the weight of the van made the tires look underinflated. We now have on General Altimax RT tires which ride and handle excellent. They also appear to support the weight of the van a little better. It's too early to tell about tread wear but right now, it looks like they will last approximately 50K miles or so. The van's sliding door handles are a weak spot when the doors are frozen. Do not use these handles to break open the frozen door. Just grab the handle, pull on it until the door lock unlatches, then grab the body of the door and pull on it to break the ice holding the door closed. The handles are only plastic and cannot handle the pressure required to break the ice. I learned this the hard way. I like the white background on the instrument cluster found in the SE vans. They look really cool during the day and are easily legible during the night. The sound system is really good for a van. The SE came with the sub speaker system which gives it a little thump! I have used nothing but synthetic oil in the engine since it was new. It will burn approximately 1 quart of oil every 5K miles. I also have my oil analyzed at Blackstone Labs every 7.5K when I do the oil change. So far, engine wear is below the average level for this engine. I attribute this to the synthetic oil usage. I don't use the high dollar Mobil 1 or other high performance synthetic oils. I just use the Walmart brand synthetic since this is not a high performance engine. I used Mobil 1 in my 90 Nissan 300ZX twin turbo because this engine was a high performance engine and was often ran very, very hard. If you use synthetic oil, you can run this oil for the full 7.5K oil change interval recommended in the owner's manual. There is no need to change it every 3K miles like the oil companies recommend. They really like to see you spend your money for their oil! I'm going to change the transmission oil filter and oil when she hits 120K just to be safe. I have not had to touch the exhaust system so far, which is almost hard to believe. The muffler still looks and sounds good and the stainless still exhaust piping should last the entire life of the van. The van has a high performing AC system and the heat is warm within just a mile or two of starting out. There a few rattles in the sliding doors and rear hatch when you hit a fairly large bump, but it's not too bad. The van is definitely past middle age, so what would you expect? I have some rattles now, too. I hope this review helps you. If you can find a good used Quest van, I'd recommend it. No, you will not get a polished van like what is produced today. But you will save approximately 30K dollars if you were to buy a new one. Good luck."

1999 - great vehicle - very good acceleration

By on Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Cons: "poor local gas milage"

"Has completely met my needs."

love thhis van

By on Thursday, November 10, 2011

"i love this van. i had it for 3 yrs and only had a couple things done to it. it drive great"

Great Family Van

By on Wednesday, November 09, 2011

I want this car

Pros: "4k!"

Cons: "its not an SUV"

"Great van for the family. double doors rock, and it being made from Nissan makes it better."

Decent car

By on Saturday, November 05, 2011

Pros: "Dependable, good cargo space, great a/c"

Cons: "Poor gas milage, terrible acceleration"

"I bought this van new with all options. It seems like Nissan uses cheap parts for interior. It has always rattled a lot. The gas mileage is terrible and we did replace the transmission at approx 100k miles a d recently the engine mounts broke but no other major repairs so far."

Quest Van is a good vehicle

By on Friday, November 04, 2011

Pros: "great with kids"

Cons: "limited upgrades"

"Owned two. Been very good vehicle"

I LOVE this vehicle

By on Thursday, June 16, 2011

Reason: Couldn't take it with me when I moved

Pros: "Lots of space"

Cons: "The far back seat doesn't come out but slides all the way forward still giving you pleanty of space."

"When I first bought this van, I hated it, not because of how it drove or anything like that but because it made me feel old, like soccer mom or something. I wanted a car that made me feel like it said "young" "cool" "speed" "trendy". I bought a 2000 Nissan Quest in 2007. When I bought the van it had around 127,000 miles on it. I drove this van from West Virginia to FL and Ohio. I then drove it to Arizon, from Arizona to Mass. and back to Arizona then to Cali. It has always ran great, I never had any problems with it other than routine things. It treating me and my family very well. It was great when I was moving stuff to storage, everything fit in it with the exception of my king bed. I ever put a 65" TV, still in the box, in the van. When I moved back to West Virginia from Arizona I had to leave it, which made me very sad, but my ex-boyfriend still has it and it is still running fantastic at over 200,000 miles. I would buy it back in a heartbeat if I could. Love, love, love this van."

Reliable van

By on Friday, April 15, 2011

"Has been a great Van owned for 3 years have not had any problems with it. not the best on mileage but great on power."

Rust, Rust, Rust

By on Wednesday, March 16, 2011

"Rust is a big problem for 1999 Nissan quest. My car has rust even on the frame. Mechanic's opinion was that replacing it is impossible, or will cost more than the car. Even a friend of mine has a 1999 nissan quest and has considerable amount of rust. Ofcourse, its minnesota, its 12 year old. But my other 10 year old mazda doesnt even have sign of any major rust."

Never again

By on Wednesday, February 09, 2011

"I have had my van since 2002. I just hit 100,000 miles. I have put 3 sets of brakes on the car (due to a defect of some sort-so I am told) . The front driver side door handle broke ($600 to get a black hande, $800 to get the paint to match the van). Next the passenger side door handle broke. Not spending $800 to fix this one, so my kids have to climb across the back seat. This is when we can actually get one of the doors open since they tend to freeze easily, and all the time! I have replaced the blower motor (the switch that lets you turn the heat/AC from low to medium to high) 4 times at $50 each time. The rearview mirror had something funky happen so it is stuck in the night-time vision mode. And the final straw was the radio lights and SOME of the dash lights went out. Not a fuse, and about $800 to take apart the entire dash to find/fix a lightbulb (glad I know which button is my fave radio station). Oh-the VCR broke after about 2 years, and the van is AWFUL in the snow. Glad to be unloading this van in the next week. Totally turned off of from Nissans-forever."

See if you qualify for