2002 Nissan Quest

7.9

Based on 113 Ratings for the 1999 - 2002 models.

GREAT family vehicle

By on Monday, July 16, 2012

Pros: "very affordable, comfortable, fun to drive"

Cons: "no dvd player(its VHS)"

"2000 Nissan Quest-It seats 7 people comfortably and room for luggage/grocery behind the 3rd row seating. Cold A/C in front and rear. This van has a VHS player(which was the best at the time). We have had minor mechanical problems and been able to do at home w/o putting in the shop. Overall, with the age of the van, we have been very satisfied with dependablity and comfort. I would highly recommend Nissan Quest to anyone looking for a minivan."

Proven Design, Excellent Value, Still looks modern

By on Monday, December 19, 2011

Pros: "Value, dependability, comfort"

Cons: "Watch the plastic sliding door handles"

"We bought the van new in April, 2002. We now have 118K miles on her. The only unscheduled problem we have had was the axle boots ripped open around 62K miles, so we replaced both axles. This repair was completely unexpected as the vehicle is always garaged and not abused. When it hit 105K, I changed the timing belt, water pump (preventive maintenance only...no issues at the time, just easy to get to while the timing belt was off), drive belts and spark plugs. She continues to run like a champ. We have the SE model which improves handling; however, you can definitely feel the bumps when you hit them. We get between 20 and 21 miles per gallon driving a 50/50 mix of highway and city driving. Right now, the only issue we have is the radio display fades in and out which is a common problem on these vehicles. There is a cheap repair where you resolder the power supply lead on a circuit board inside of the radio. Right now, it's not bad enough to mess with so we are leaving it alone. We have the captain's chairs in the middle row which is comfortable for the kids. We also have the overhead video player which the kids love. We, the grandparents, love it to. Just turn it on and the kids will not make a sound except for needed bathroom breaks and the I'm hungry, feed me calls. The van came with Goodyear tires which lasted approximately 40K miles. Then we put on a set of Yokohama Avid Touring S tires which lasted almost 65K miles. These were really quiet tires; however, the weight of the van made the tires look underinflated. We now have on General Altimax RT tires which ride and handle excellent. They also appear to support the weight of the van a little better. It's too early to tell about tread wear but right now, it looks like they will last approximately 50K miles or so. The van's sliding door handles are a weak spot when the doors are frozen. Do not use these handles to break open the frozen door. Just grab the handle, pull on it until the door lock unlatches, then grab the body of the door and pull on it to break the ice holding the door closed. The handles are only plastic and cannot handle the pressure required to break the ice. I learned this the hard way. I like the white background on the instrument cluster found in the SE vans. They look really cool during the day and are easily legible during the night. The sound system is really good for a van. The SE came with the sub speaker system which gives it a little thump! I have used nothing but synthetic oil in the engine since it was new. It will burn approximately 1 quart of oil every 5K miles. I also have my oil analyzed at Blackstone Labs every 7.5K when I do the oil change. So far, engine wear is below the average level for this engine. I attribute this to the synthetic oil usage. I don't use the high dollar Mobil 1 or other high performance synthetic oils. I just use the Walmart brand synthetic since this is not a high performance engine. I used Mobil 1 in my 90 Nissan 300ZX twin turbo because this engine was a high performance engine and was often ran very, very hard. If you use synthetic oil, you can run this oil for the full 7.5K oil change interval recommended in the owner's manual. There is no need to change it every 3K miles like the oil companies recommend. They really like to see you spend your money for their oil! I'm going to change the transmission oil filter and oil when she hits 120K just to be safe. I have not had to touch the exhaust system so far, which is almost hard to believe. The muffler still looks and sounds good and the stainless still exhaust piping should last the entire life of the van. The van has a high performing AC system and the heat is warm within just a mile or two of starting out. There a few rattles in the sliding doors and rear hatch when you hit a fairly large bump, but it's not too bad. The van is definitely past middle age, so what would you expect? I have some rattles now, too. I hope this review helps you. If you can find a good used Quest van, I'd recommend it. No, you will not get a polished van like what is produced today. But you will save approximately 30K dollars if you were to buy a new one. Good luck."

Good quality vehicle

By on Sunday, February 03, 2008

"I have a 2002 model that I bought used in 2005 with 45k miles on it. I have since put almost 60k more miles on it and have had only 1 unexpected engine repair performed. I use this vehicle as a daily work van in addition to personal use and have been pleased with how near bullet-proof it has performed. It's not quite as nice as the Odyssey or Sienna but it is a better $ value. I would definitely reconsider the Nissan."

Was alright for a while, until things went wrong!

By on Friday, March 16, 2012

Reason: Too many problems!

Pros: "Comfortable!!"

Cons: "Not the best quality on ANYTHING..."

"I don't have too much to say, since I only owned it for three months, but we put 3,000 miles on it, had to replace the distributor (#350 ) and had other annoyances to deal with. It seemed as the transmission was starting to go, as it was slow to shift from second to third, and seeing that this year (2000) was made by ford, it really wouldn't suprise me if the transmission was on its way out. It was also rusting pretty profusely in the rear sliding doors and inner rocker panels. *sigh* Otherwise, we LOVED The way it drove and rode (aside from the clunky front suspension...) It is VERY COMFORTABLE!!"

Good value overall

By on Friday, January 09, 2009

"Owned since new and have taken good care of vehicle. Have had a few minor repairs done over the 145000 miles of driving. One window regulator replaced, radio light repaired, CV axle boots replaced at about 95K, heater core leak replaced, but just recently the cruise control stopped working - haven't had it repaired yet. It does get good gas mileage of about 21mpg in general mixed use and 25mpg on the highway when you drive 60mph or lower. Oh yeah also the vcr/video player did go bad after a few years and I never replaced it but just got couple of small mobile DVD players for longer trips with the kids. Engine and transmission have been great and I think it has very god power and handling - the SE has 225-60-16's and I think that helps the handling."

Never again

By on Wednesday, February 09, 2011

"I have had my van since 2002. I just hit 100,000 miles. I have put 3 sets of brakes on the car (due to a defect of some sort-so I am told) . The front driver side door handle broke ($600 to get a black hande, $800 to get the paint to match the van). Next the passenger side door handle broke. Not spending $800 to fix this one, so my kids have to climb across the back seat. This is when we can actually get one of the doors open since they tend to freeze easily, and all the time! I have replaced the blower motor (the switch that lets you turn the heat/AC from low to medium to high) 4 times at $50 each time. The rearview mirror had something funky happen so it is stuck in the night-time vision mode. And the final straw was the radio lights and SOME of the dash lights went out. Not a fuse, and about $800 to take apart the entire dash to find/fix a lightbulb (glad I know which button is my fave radio station). Oh-the VCR broke after about 2 years, and the van is AWFUL in the snow. Glad to be unloading this van in the next week. Totally turned off of from Nissans-forever."

Great Sporty Van

By on Friday, November 02, 2007

"I've had my van for over 7 years and it's still going strong. I was not a 'van' person and didn't want to have to drive a large mom van since I'd had sportier cars before. The Quest fit the bill as it's fun to drive and doesn't feel like you're driving a truck. I've only had it in the shop twice (once for a recall & once to recharge the air conditioning). It runs fantastic and has plenty of power going over the mountains, even loaded. The rear quad seats are a bit small now that my sons are teens and over 6' tall, but other than that it's been a great car."

Great Value

By on Thursday, August 16, 2007

"Less expensive than most counterparts. This is our second Quest. We put 40,000 miles on the first one in two years (a 2000). While getting it serviced at the dealer they made me a great offer on the 2002. The 2002 only has 60,000 miles in five years. Runs great and is very comfortable. We get about 15 mpg in town and 21 on the highway. My only complaint is the windows in the sliding doors pop open when you close the door."

It's honestly becoming a headache...

By on Thursday, February 16, 2012

Pros: "Convenient features."

Cons: "Poor quality on almost everything..."

"We bought this van used, and have only had it a short time. The transmission is slipping into reverse, and sometimes when it's cold won't go in reverse at all. There has been a mysterious clunk in the front end, which is annoying. The passenger side door handle came unhooked inside the door, and only works from the inside, which is another annoyance. It is rusting on the sliding doors, and the rocker panels. The motor runs good and strong, and always starts on the cold days, however it is more noisey than your average motor. We love this van, it drives awesome and is very comfortable. It has many convenient features, it was just made with poor quality. I am disappointed overall, and sad but glad to see it go."

My 2000 Nissan Quest is awesome!

By on Monday, December 19, 2011

Cons: "Gas mileage could be better."

"I bought it at eleven years old, and it's a great vehicle. The only small issues are the heat only work on high (resistor) and the door handle on the passenger front door doesn't work on the outside (it came unhooked inside the door panel). There is some rust on the sliding doors, but other than that it is a great vehicle! It's comfortable, great looking, and reliable. I would recommend it to anyone. There are a lot of convenient features!"