2006 Nissan Pathfinder

8.2

Based on 459 Ratings for the 2005 - 2012 models.

My Story

By on Tuesday, August 12, 2008

"I bought this vehicle for my wife 2 years ago. We have just had a child and it is to be our traveling car. One week ago, my wife was t-boned in the passenger side where my 9 month old baby was sitting in the back seat. The on comming car took out both front and back doors and right rear 1/4 panel. It was a truck that hit the door so it hit high on the door where my son was in his child seat. The accident did $10500 worth of damage to the Pathfinder. However, my son was not even fazed in the accident. The impact was so severe my wife was terrified that my son was hurt. Not only was he unhurt, he was laughing 2 minutes later. Luckily no one was hurt in the accident and after having gone thru this, my wife said she will own no other car, because she feels completely safe in that car. I am trying to have the car totaled but my wife wants to repair it because she now has complete confidence in the safety of the Pathfinder. I know this is not what some of you are looking for when reading reviews, but I had to brag on the safety of this vehicle. Other than the tire pressure sensors light going off on the dashboard every now and again this has been a perfect car. Who needs sensors anyway? I never had them before on any car I have owned so why start now. This is great, very safe car to own and I would recommend it to anyone and I am particularlly hard to please. Hope this helps"

Beware '05-'08 Radiator defect!!

By on Thursday, March 22, 2012

Pros: "Great used value, super quiet interior, great DVD!"

Cons: "Feels cramped if over 6'4" third row is kids only."

"The radiators in these have a major defect that destroys the transmission, torque converter and computer that controls both. If not caught before the 80,000 mile warranty will be extremely expensive to repair!!!! We own a 2007 and haven't had the issue yet and hopefully won't. It's been recommended on numerous sites to have the cooler lines that go between the radiator and transmission by-passed to a separate transmission oil cooler that can be installed fairly cheaply by any transmission shop. Anyone who has a Pathfinder and has already Passed 80,000 miles and hasn't had a transmission failure should do it immediately!!! Search on line for further information regarding this issue and a pending litigation between Pathfinder owners and Nissan. NY Times even did an article on this issue if that tells you something! I would only recommend this car if the potential owner knew of this issue and how to get around it."

So Versatile!

By on Friday, October 26, 2012

Pros: "Versatile, rugged, perfect size"

Cons: "See review"

"I have had my pathfinder for two years and I love it. When it eventually dies I will probably buy another one. I have two kids and we do a lot of driving vacations so the third row seat is just perfect for us. I have the seats for friends when needed and the extra cargo space when I don't. I didn't get mine fully loaded but I love the back up camera and the zoned air conditioning, since my husband is always hot and I am always cold and the kids are always complaining, it helps to have all three zones. Since moving to the Pacific North West, the 4WD has come in handy quite a few times. My only faults with this car are: 1. The style of the rear door handles being so high was a pain before my youngest child was 6 and could reach them. 2. It is tricky to get it out of 4WD when finished, you have to do it then reverse or while reversing or something like that. I forget every time. 3. The planned maintenance is a bit more expensive due to the 4WD components. 4. The mid-row cup holder fold down from the consol and my kids broke it almost immediately. I ordered a new one and popped it right in, but I would have put the cupholders in the fold down armrest like they are in the Titan. I have friends with smaller SUVs and friends with giant, fully loaded SUVs and we end up using mine most of the time. We can all fit and we can park it anywhere (my friend with a Suburban has to plan ahead for parking anytime we go anywhere new because she can't parallel park or fit into a lot of garages easily). I love my pathfinder."

Great Value for you Money

By on Sunday, April 01, 2012

Pros: "Relible, good on gas, comfortabe ride."

Cons: "Needs MP3 input, rear AC controls on all models"

"Great reliable vehicle. Has taken the family on multiple trips without a single problem. Handles great and pretty comfortable. I would definitley recommend this year's model to anyone looking for a great and reliable SUV that doesn't drain your wallet on gas usage. The only thing that I regret is not purchasing the model with the rear AC controls and vents. Living in Florida, it gets really hot and the opptional third row seating, stays warm for a long time."

Warranty not honored transmission and gas sensor

By on Monday, November 11, 2013

Pros: "I paid $16,500 for the vechicle in 2010"

Cons: "Leather seats, sun roof, "17" wheels"

"I purchase my truck in 2010 because I loved the interior and exterior style and features. However, once I got a 100,000 miles on it I began have trobule with my gas gage and transmission. Nevertheless, I fell victum like many others with this same year truck. The warranty is not extended after 100K miles. There has even been lawsuit settlement on these very same issues. The gas sensor repair is $425 just to began with and the transmission / radiator repair $6,000 to $9,000. This one is "high maintance" can't afford her. For now on I'm sticking with the "common..." Ford, Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep or GM."

Super Midsize

By on Friday, March 14, 2008

"I've had my Pathfinder for almost two years and have not had any problems. I've previously had a Grand Cherokee, Explorer and Envoy and had ongoing issues with each, especially the Envoy (nightmare). I'm 6'2" and this is by far the most comfortable midsize SUV I found and I test drove just about everyone. I love how this vehicle handles whether grinding in traffic or on long road trips. We loved the incrdible Bose sound system with 10 spreakers. I would prefer a touch screen navigation over this joystick version but it works great. I am sad to say that my Pathfinder is totalled but I am very happy to report that my 8 yr old son, who was seatbelted in the second row, and I survived a 60 mph collision with a car that turned in front of us from the opposite direction. We walked away without a scratch. This is a safe vehicle!"

my best car ever!!!!!! love it!!!

By on Friday, June 29, 2012

"This car was the best choice for a family like mine. We are 5 people that fit just nice in it and Grandma and Grandpa as well"

Very Good Auto decreasing in newer models to good

By on Sunday, January 26, 2014

Pros: "Right Size auto for our needs, pulled boat"

Cons: "decrease reliability trend/increasing op. costs"

"This was my third pathfinder, 92, 97, 2006. My very best was the first one. They (Pathfinders) started a down hill slide by going away from a "truck" style frame to a "car" uni-body. I wanted the truck ride. I pulled a boat much to heavy for the 1992's 3.0L engine. It never faltered. Never need any additional repair other than battery, oil changes etc. 120,000 wonderful miles of ownership/service. My 1997 needed all the body mounts replaced. It got so bad if you crossed a 2" snow ridge on the highway, you'd be thrown into the ditch before regaining control. My 2006 is on it's third belt and auto tensioner replacement. Then $1300 front end component repair, again it had became unable to drive on the highway. Complete front Rotor replacement at 60k miles, on it's second Heater fan, rear window strut replacement etc. etc. My disappointment of the decreasing quality is only exceeded by the $14,000 in emergency (stranded 5x's) on my Domestic 2005 Ford F250SD pickup. Pathfinder now look like a station wagon? Car's cost 2-3 x's as much...,but their reliability tanked? I bought a RAV4, not the same quality/size/or options. But it is only $10,000 more than the 1992 Pathfinder. Not the $46,000 if I were to stay with Pathfinders."

Good, solid, & reliable

By on Sunday, April 14, 2013

Pros: "Reliable, low amount of repairs, easy to drive"

Cons: "Gas guzzler, 4wd subpar, premature rust"

"Overall, it's been a great vehicle for me. I've owned it for five years and other than then normal maintainence, it's been a very lost cost to have. Currently, I have 106,000 miles and going strong. I'll give you the cons. Poor gas mileage, rough ride, four wheel drive is poor in the snow, some rust starting on the tailgate very early. The pros: very reliable, low repairs, easy to drive."

RUN AWAY

By on Friday, February 11, 2011

"Do not buy a Pathfinder made between 2005-2008. I have had nothing but trouble with mine and have seen many web-sites complaining of the same problems I have had. The major issue is the radiator cracking which lets coolant into the transmission which ruins the transmission. $6000 . Just found out I have to replace the catalytic converter. Quoted by dealership at $1750."