1998 Nissan Pathfinder

Based on 620 Ratings for the 1996 - 2004 models.

Less expensive than a 4Runner, just as capable!

By on Saturday, August 18, 2012

Pros: "Handles very well offroad, TONS of elbow room, fun"

Cons: "15MPG, Acceleration isnt impressive, Its a Unibody"

Not stock, but my version of the pathfinder I love.

"I bought it used and had a lot of work to do to build it up to what I wanted it to be, but now that its there, I love it! I couldnt afford a 4Runner on my college budget, but this has kept up with and performed more capably than the one I go offroading with. It eats gas, cant lie there, and it aint much in a race, but it powers through mud and up hills better than I would have ever thought! Great for winter driving. Its had a beating since I've owned it, but its stood up to everything I've put it through. The storage space is great since the seats fold down. Being a unibody instead of a body on frame design makes it hard to modify suspension-wise (lift). There are only a few options available to the Nissan off road enthusiast, and they are somewhat expensive. But as a college kid in a hick town I've loved this SUV and all its capable of. You'll likely need to change out the rear lower control arm bushings to get rid of a "death wobble" that comes from old factory bushings being worn out. Its a quick fix, and glad I did it because it was scary on the freeway when that sucker started to wobble. But for a lower base-price than the toyota, you can afford some fixing up. Hope this helps your decision."

Not stock, but my version of the pathfinder I love.

I Love This Vehicle

By on Tuesday, October 28, 2014

Pros: "Reliable and durable"

Cons: "Poor Mileage"

"Best, most reliable vehicle I have ever owned. It has 257,000 miles on it and hasn't needed any major repairs. Tranny still good. Spent some money on getting oil leaks repaired over the years, but consider that fairly typical for the use it's gotten. The Unified Meter Control (Cluster), $365, was replaced about 2 years ago because the dashboard gauges went out, and the only time it didn't start right up for me was when the Distributor Assembly failed, bad ignition coil, needed to be replaced at 247,000 miles. Gas mileage was poor at 13 miles per gallon. Very reliable, well made, and love the vehicle."

Reliable, and rugged vehicle

By on Thursday, December 08, 2011

Pros: "4WD, Reliability, Handling, Strong and capable car"

Cons: "Could use a little more power from the V6"

"I was the second owner of this vehicle, unfortunately due to the strut house tower recall the vehicle was condemned and I got a great deal from Nissan for it. If it wasn't for this recall would have kept it longer. Spent very little in repairs throughout the years, original engine and transmission and 4wd was in tact, a/c worked, stereo worked. Just the little things that come with owning a used vehicle throughout the years. Overall was happy with it. Will miss it. :("

Great reliable vehicle

By on Thursday, December 12, 2013

Pros: "Super comfortable, excellent 4 wheel drive"

Cons: "Hard on gas"

"Bought this for the true 4wd and love it. Super easy to drive, drives like a car. Has great pick up with the 3.5 automatic and is smooth on the highway. A little hard on gas (average 16 to 17 mpg) but for the power it makes sense."

174,574 miles and counting!

By on Wednesday, October 09, 2013

Pros: "Great value!"

Cons: "Center of weight too high."

"This car has only cosmetic and wear and tear damages from long term use, but when we talk about engine and transmission it will last forever. If you own one you know what I mean. This car acts like it doesn't understand aging, literally. As long as you keep changing all those fluids the life of a Pathfinder will keep extending until who knows when. I will volunteer my car to see how many miles you can get out of it. I have decided I'm keeping it forever. That's how satisfied I am about this vehicle. - Roberto Addarich"

Great Car!

By on Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Pros: "Fun to drive, tough, reliable, build quality, look"

Cons: "tight rear conditions,"

"This was my first car and it is nicer than most of the cars that my friends drive. I never have to worry about getting stuck ANYWHERE with the pathfinders great 4-wheel drive ablities. Its fast enough to impress my friends and pass anyone saftely. The exterior looks great, (one of the last good looking pathfinders), and the interior has amazing quality. The back seat is a little small and I can't figure out why the "check engine" light is on but other that that the car runs perfectly. I hardly ever have to get maintenence done on it. I would definitly reccomned this car!"

Like most Nissans, this one is amazing.

By on Thursday, October 27, 2011

Pros: "Attractive, economical, dependable"

Cons: "Doesn't hold value as well as it should"

"With regular scheduled maintenance, this car runs like new. It is nice to look at, drive, ride in, and it is cost-effective. I have never owned a bad Nissan."

I love it

By on Thursday, December 18, 2008

"Ive had my '01 LE 4x4 for a year now and absolutely love it. only problem was 02 sensors and mass air flow sensor...other then that...its been great. good performance for a medium sized SUV. handles good and is a blast to drive. going to really test it offroad in the coming weeks to see how it holds up off pavement... i would recommend this vehicle to everybody"

Sweet Car

By on Tuesday, November 18, 2008

"This car is really awesome. The biggest complaint i have with it is the weak engine and high gear ratio. At 60 mph in 5th gear the RPMs are at 2800 and that causes poor gas mileage. its great for off-roading, towing, and just cruising around town with speed limits 45mph and under. Shift on the fly 4x4 is really sweet and reliable. the leather holds up for a long time. and the engine is forign and of course will last you a long time without trouble. (150,000 so for with me and no issues)"

My Die-Hard Pathfinder 2000

By on Tuesday, September 16, 2008

"I purchased this vehicle new and with 100,000 miles of carefree bliss, how could I complain. At 8000 miles, oxygen sensor under warranty. 4th year, battery. No other repairs beyond ordinary fluid changes and tires. Due to mileage, having timing belt, water pump, oils seals and timing tensioner replaced as I type this. 17/23 mpg. Only complaints, rear suspension has a tendency to bottom out with three adults in back seat and the paint chips fairly easily on front of hood from road pebbles on highways."

Most fun car I've ever driven

By on Saturday, June 14, 2008

"I'd take this car anywhere. I bought it over three years ago, even with over 100k miles, but had no qualms at all about the higher mileage. It feels solid and handles much better than similar vehicles in its class, especially the domestic SUVs (sorry Ford, Chevy, Dodge and all the other US mfgrs). This car has been driven around town, cross country and to the mountains and has proven to be a comfortable, versatile and reliable vehicle. With the wide tires and low center of gravity, it hugs turns like no other 4WD I've driven. Pickup is good, though the engine is just a tad noisy on acceleration. All power equipment functions without a hitch, and the body integrity is good. The interior is roomy and comfortable, and the console is very user-friendly. Though this Pathfinder is nearly 11 years old, it looks, rides and drives like new. In the time I've owned it, it's required only routine maintenance, and the way it's running now and with continued care I'd expect it to easily go another 100k or more. The only drawback is the not-so-great gas mileage (15 city/18-19 hwy). Nissans don't have the name-brand punch of a Toyota, though I'm not sure why. I'd put this car up against any 4Runner or Highlander. All in all, it's been a great vehicle for the money and I wouldn't hesitate to buy another one or recommend it to a friend."

love my pathfinder

By on Saturday, April 05, 2008

"I would not buy another SUV, ever! This vehicle has been excellent to me. I've owned mine for 4 years. It's great in the snow and rain. The interior is comfortable and durable. Very reliable, never broken down. I even rolled my pathfinder in a winter stom and came out totally unharmed. I feel safe in this vehicle. A new roof and some new panels and it's as good as new."

best SUV on the road

By on Sunday, March 24, 2013

Pros: "very dependable/easy to maintain/beats a pick up"

Cons: "wish it got better gas mileage but it's not bad"

"I bought this car in 2001 and have literally driven it all across the US. This car has seen every state in the lower 48-some of them twice !! I hate to think I will eventually have to give it up. No major repairs/replacements - just well maintained and very well built. If only every vehicle was made like this one."

Solid!

By on Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Pros: "Durability, dependability"

Cons: "Gas consumption"

"I bought this car at about 60k miles. A friend of my GF's family was selling it. He is a no nonsense old Chinese mechanic. I was initially tentative and not all that impressed. He quickly lost patience and said "look, this is good car, you buy!" I bought it. I discovered his blunt words to be true. I've put a lot of pothole strewn city miles on this car in all weather conditions and only needed to change the front brake pads. It handles well and gives me all the power I need. It is the most dependable and durable vehicle I have ever owned. I bought it with the intentions of it being an interim ride, of moving on to another newer, "hotter" vehicle in short time. This plan has been extended indefinitely."

Nice while it lasted

By on Friday, January 27, 2012

Pros: "Size, Options,"

Cons: "Gas Mileage, Leg room,"

"I've never owned a Nissan before. When I purchase my Pathfinder it already had 80,000 miles on it. However, I was not concerned because I've always heard how reliable Nissan are. For the most part it is reliable. The leg room in the rear is very poor. Storage space in the back is great. The O2 sensor's go out on these vehicles often and are costly to replace. Almost $800 for all 4 sensors. I found out too late. Maybe on the new models this is not an issue anymore."

Sporty and Fun

By on Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Pros: "Great heated seats, sporty, depndable"

Cons: "Getting rusty"

"I bought my Pathfinder used over 2 years ago and I love driving it. I love the heated seats and am surprised by the power of this vehicle. My only complaint is that the front wheel wells are getting very rusty. I wash it often living in a salty state such as Wisconsin, but it looks awful. I do not want to get rid of it but would like it to look good as well."

Sorry, FORD and CHEVY!!!

By on Tuesday, June 17, 2008

"My wife and I bought an '01 LE LOADED with only 66K miles on it in Sept of '06.It's the top model,leather,heated seats,6CD the WORKS. The 3.5L engine ROCKS!!! It's very smooth, and PEPPIER than my '03 Ford Explorer Sport 4.0L (but i LOVE that truck TOO!!).The Pathfinder was a GREAT deal for the money,and my wife is HARD on vehicles,and this truck has been GREAT for us. I like the '01-'04 style better than the new ones,( call me old school)and as a used vehicle, they are MUCH more affordable than the '05 and up. Only major problem we had was that the mass airflow sensor went out at 88K miles (common problem for MANY Nissan models I'm told), and it cost me a $1000 to fix (don't you know the 1 yr warranty we got just expired)! I just put all new shocks and struts in it ( only as regular maintenance -they weren't gone yet even at 97K miles)and it rides TIGHT as a NEW vehicle,even though my wife has put 32K miles on it in the last 18mo. My wife wanted a LEXUS RX 300 SUV, but this one fit the budget much better. (She STILL gives me grief about it!!) I think I like it BETTER than her, but she's OK with it now that we've had it awhile.We have a young child now,and I would recommend this vehicle to ANYONE,as it's a GREAT truck. Gas mileage is about 18/22mpg,not bad for a full-size SUV. Sorry to say, I LOVE American vehicles,but Nissan has beat Ford and Chevy with this one."

Best SUV I have ever drove

By on Tuesday, April 22, 2008

"I have been using this SUV since 1997 and put on over 200K miles. No major problems, just regular oil change after 3K miles. I have changed timing belt twice in 200K miles. It still runs like a rock."

Awesome suv

By on Monday, April 01, 2013

Pros: "Awesome to drive."

"I love it. I use it everyday and always have fun driving it. I have over 160,000 miles and its runs great and it will last for many years to come. I can't complain about it."

Best car ever owned

By on Friday, February 15, 2013

Pros: "All"

"I was a GMC car lover until I had a very bad experience. After that I decided to try a car made in Japan. I started searching and I found about this SUV. I bought it 7 years ago with 125000 miles. I only change the timing belt at 150000 miles (belt was in perfect condition). Replace spark plugs at 210000 miles (Just to do some maintenance to the engine) It runs so good. No problems!!!!!! It is a solid, well built vehicle. Very reliable. Can't find a reason to replace it."

2001 Nissan Pathfinder

By on Saturday, July 07, 2012

Pros: "very reliable"

Cons: "fair on good gas mileage"

"This vehicle I have owned since 2005 and it has been the best vehicle I ever owned, very reliable!!!!!! very little repairs and I have loved driving it. I am a nissan lover, owned 3 so far, this is my favorite.!!!"

Good 4x4 vehicle, poor gas mileage

By on Wednesday, February 20, 2008

"I have a 1999 LE pathfinder with automatic remote start. Everything works perfect and low maintenance. It runs great and is very roomy. It is so quiet that one can not tell how fast you are going. I live in VA and lately we have been getting lot of gusty winds and during these times the vehicle is so stable that it is surprising at times. The only complaint I have is that it gives poor gas mileage, but oh well it is an SUV."

I love this Pathfinder

By on Thursday, August 01, 2013

"It is a tank I've had 3 wrecks and it still ran GREAT. It go's VERY good in the snow,rain. I love the Pathfinder if you ever get a chance to own one you will love it too"

Best Year for this SUV

By on Sunday, January 15, 2012

Pros: "Comfortable, great in snow, never lets me down"

Cons: "Windshields are prone to damage. Be happy w/ 18mpg"

"I've put over 180,000 miles on this rig since 2003. Changed the fluids, changed the tires. Couple of years ago I put about $1,500 into it to bring it up to speed on maintenance. Car has never let me down. Only issues have been the rear wiper is touchy, the windshield is prone to cracks and I need to reconnect the left speakers. Love the interior and heated mirrors. Seating is great. Engine is really strong. Tranny has been great, while I'm on my 3rd for my Accord. After 2003, Nissan started making changes and my friends with new models notice the interior isn't as nice or as comfortable and the 2003 engine/tranny are much better. I get between 17 - 19 mph overall. 19-21 on hwy if you keep your foot out of it. I work my SUVs hard and I'm hoping to get another 100,000 miles out of the Pathfinder."

love it, bought it new, rear window break light

By on Sunday, December 04, 2011

"rear window break light fell loose this week. This is the 1st repair ever required, replaced belts when they started squeaking, new brakes and rotors only veryyyyyyyy reliable car, had it 10 years plan on keeping it at least 10 more"