1997 Nissan Pathfinder

Based on 616 Ratings for the 1996 - 2004 models.

best SUV on the road

By on Sunday, March 24, 2013

Pros: "very dependable/easy to maintain/beats a pick up"

Cons: "wish it got better gas mileage but it's not bad"

"I bought this car in 2001 and have literally driven it all across the US. This car has seen every state in the lower 48-some of them twice !! I hate to think I will eventually have to give it up. No major repairs/replacements - just well maintained and very well built. If only every vehicle was made like this one."

Solid!

By on Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Pros: "Durability, dependability"

Cons: "Gas consumption"

"I bought this car at about 60k miles. A friend of my GF's family was selling it. He is a no nonsense old Chinese mechanic. I was initially tentative and not all that impressed. He quickly lost patience and said "look, this is good car, you buy!" I bought it. I discovered his blunt words to be true. I've put a lot of pothole strewn city miles on this car in all weather conditions and only needed to change the front brake pads. It handles well and gives me all the power I need. It is the most dependable and durable vehicle I have ever owned. I bought it with the intentions of it being an interim ride, of moving on to another newer, "hotter" vehicle in short time. This plan has been extended indefinitely."

Sporty and Fun

By on Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Pros: "Great heated seats, sporty, depndable"

Cons: "Getting rusty"

"I bought my Pathfinder used over 2 years ago and I love driving it. I love the heated seats and am surprised by the power of this vehicle. My only complaint is that the front wheel wells are getting very rusty. I wash it often living in a salty state such as Wisconsin, but it looks awful. I do not want to get rid of it but would like it to look good as well."

Sorry, FORD and CHEVY!!!

By on Tuesday, June 17, 2008

"My wife and I bought an '01 LE LOADED with only 66K miles on it in Sept of '06.It's the top model,leather,heated seats,6CD the WORKS. The 3.5L engine ROCKS!!! It's very smooth, and PEPPIER than my '03 Ford Explorer Sport 4.0L (but i LOVE that truck TOO!!).The Pathfinder was a GREAT deal for the money,and my wife is HARD on vehicles,and this truck has been GREAT for us. I like the '01-'04 style better than the new ones,( call me old school)and as a used vehicle, they are MUCH more affordable than the '05 and up. Only major problem we had was that the mass airflow sensor went out at 88K miles (common problem for MANY Nissan models I'm told), and it cost me a $1000 to fix (don't you know the 1 yr warranty we got just expired)! I just put all new shocks and struts in it ( only as regular maintenance -they weren't gone yet even at 97K miles)and it rides TIGHT as a NEW vehicle,even though my wife has put 32K miles on it in the last 18mo. My wife wanted a LEXUS RX 300 SUV, but this one fit the budget much better. (She STILL gives me grief about it!!) I think I like it BETTER than her, but she's OK with it now that we've had it awhile.We have a young child now,and I would recommend this vehicle to ANYONE,as it's a GREAT truck. Gas mileage is about 18/22mpg,not bad for a full-size SUV. Sorry to say, I LOVE American vehicles,but Nissan has beat Ford and Chevy with this one."

Most fun car I've ever driven

By on Saturday, June 14, 2008

"I'd take this car anywhere. I bought it over three years ago, even with over 100k miles, but had no qualms at all about the higher mileage. It feels solid and handles much better than similar vehicles in its class, especially the domestic SUVs (sorry Ford, Chevy, Dodge and all the other US mfgrs). This car has been driven around town, cross country and to the mountains and has proven to be a comfortable, versatile and reliable vehicle. With the wide tires and low center of gravity, it hugs turns like no other 4WD I've driven. Pickup is good, though the engine is just a tad noisy on acceleration. All power equipment functions without a hitch, and the body integrity is good. The interior is roomy and comfortable, and the console is very user-friendly. Though this Pathfinder is nearly 11 years old, it looks, rides and drives like new. In the time I've owned it, it's required only routine maintenance, and the way it's running now and with continued care I'd expect it to easily go another 100k or more. The only drawback is the not-so-great gas mileage (15 city/18-19 hwy). Nissans don't have the name-brand punch of a Toyota, though I'm not sure why. I'd put this car up against any 4Runner or Highlander. All in all, it's been a great vehicle for the money and I wouldn't hesitate to buy another one or recommend it to a friend."