1996 Nissan Pathfinder

Based on 623 Ratings for the 1996 - 2004 models.

Great reliability

By on Sunday, October 26, 2008

"I bought this 2003 in 2006, with 36K on the odometer. Has needed only routine maintenance. Type of tires make a great deal of difference in ride and handling. Michelin and Uniroyal are best. Previously kept a 1989 PF for 12 years with zero problems. These vehicles are the best overall value I have found in over fifty years of driving."

By on Thursday, October 16, 2008

"I've had my Pathfinder LE 4X4 for 7 years now. Bought it w/ 25k on it and now has over 112k. Keeps on running... The only mechanical things I have done to it (besides normal maintanance) has been a timing belt and a air conditioning compressor clutch total about $2,000. Great vehicle going to run it till the wheels fall off!"

1999 Still Lik!e New

By on Monday, October 13, 2008

"I bought this new, use synthetic oil, keep up with other maintainence and it still starts and runs like new with 168,000 plus miles! The ONLY reason I might sell it, is parts availability, though I've never needed many parts before."

Nice Suv

By on Sunday, August 24, 2008

"My wife and i brought a 2001 pathfinder le, with 134000 miles on it. We took it to a nissan dealership and had them check it out had to replace the rear 02 sensors and changed all the fluids and things like that. We drove it to orlando soon as we got it and it did good. We avg about 21 miles to the gallon. This is not our first nissan and not our last. Nissan are good quality cars and trucks just do your maint and you will be alright."

Love it!

By on Sunday, June 22, 2008

"I have a 2002 Pathfinder and I believe it's the best vehicle I've owned. The engine and tranny are in amazing condition, the car seems to get decent gas mileage for the size of engine it has, and it tows far better than I expected. My only complaint is the fact that you need to have a weight distribution kit to haul anything remotely heavy because this car has coil springs instead of leaf springs. I'll be keeping this car until it just doesn't run any longer, so maybe forever!"

Long Lasting Vehicle

By on Wednesday, April 30, 2008

"My 1998 Pathfinder has over 200,000 miles and runs great. I never had any major engine work done. I have never been stuck on the side of the road. It is a very reliable vehicle."

Best dependable Vehicle I have owned

By on Monday, April 21, 2008

"I have a 01 Pathfinder LE and its one of the greatest SUV's I have owned. Very comfortable, sporty, winter package, everything in it is great. MPG is a small issue, but after installing a K&N Cool air intake in it, I have seen dramatic increases in MPG. I average around 22 Miles on the highway and 19 in the city. Pretty impressive. Other than that, I love this car. Adding a system with subs in the back sounds great as well. I would defiantly recommend this vehicle to someone else!"

Good vehicle for the money

By on Saturday, April 12, 2008

"Purchased this vehicle new. It has plenty of HP for that size of SUV. Very reliable also, but I did have to replace the engine coils (a common problem) around 100 K. I have an oil leak somewhere that can't be explained, but I just put a little extra oil in it periodically and never have a problem. Had to replace it after I had children though because the interior was too small to haul all their stuff! Other than those few things, I have been very pleased with my vehicle."

Awsome Truck!

By on Tuesday, April 08, 2008

"I've had my 97 LE for two years now and I love it! i Have run this thing into the ground it has over 200k miles dings and dents and its always going on dirt roads and what not. Had one prob with it and wasn't a big deal This thing doesn't die its great! Want to get an 05 for the new look"

Best Vehicle Ever

By on Tuesday, March 11, 2008

"I bought my 1996 4wheel drive Pathfinder for $10,000 in 2001 when it had 82,000 miles on it. It is now 12 years old and has 213,000 miles and it has been the most reliable and comfortable vehicle I have ever owned. Still runs great on original engine and transmission.I have changed the oil every 3-5k miles religiously,and promptly replaced worn out parts like struts, shocks, trailing arms. Original starter went 213k miles before kicking the bucket! Pulls my 24' pontoon boat easily, but I wouldn't pull anything any heavier. 3.3L 6 cyl engine still strong! Driver's seat very comfortable, and just recently developed 1 tiny hole in uphostery on side of driver's seat, from abrasion of getting in & out. All accessories still operating well! Only complaint is gas mileage of 16mpg, but it is a 4x4 SUV so I guess that is to be expected."

Great SUV

By on Tuesday, February 26, 2008

"2001 Pathfinder LE 3.5 Have had this vehicle for a few years now. Purchased with 47,000 miles and now at 100,000. Has needed some minor repairs but never left me stranded. Overall great performance, ride and value. I will keep this vehicle for many years to come. It also handles well in the cold snowy new england winters."

worth it

By on Friday, February 22, 2008

"I purchased my 04 Pathfinder used from a dealer for a great price. It gives a comfortable ride for an SUV, and the 3.5 ltr engine provides plenty of power. The only downfall to my Pathfinder is the MPG. Could be alot better , but it is an SUV. Every time I think about trading it in for a better MPG vehicle, I cant do it. I do like this vehicle that much and just cant bring myself to do it. Reliability and repair history.... great so far, no complaints."

Awesome vehicle!

By on Wednesday, February 20, 2008

"I own a 97 Pathfinder which now has 250K miles on it and just in the last 2 years I've had to put some money into larger repair bills - timing belt, sway bars, rack & pinion. Now it's got some engine seal leaks & since it's 11 years old, I'm looking to get something smaller & with better gas mileage. I absolutely LOVE Nissan vehicles and would recommend them to everyone."

Still Performing

By on Tuesday, January 29, 2008

"Pathfinder provides a smooth comfortable ride, awesome performance and remains mechanically sound after 8 years of use. 95000 miles and it's running as strong as the day I bought it. I would recommend this vehicle strongly. I recently looked at new cars and decided to keep my Pathfinder and get a new paint job as that's the only thing it needed. If you can find a 2000, buy it you won't be sorry!"

Great SUV

By on Tuesday, December 04, 2007

"I bought my 99 Pathfinder new and it now has about 200K. I have had the basic oil changes and tune ups, and replaces a cv joint. Other than that, its been almost perfect!"

pathfinder 1997

By on Sunday, December 02, 2007

"I own this car for 3 years now and put alot of miles still very reliable, i highly recommend this vehicle to anyone who want a safe and reliable car."

Worth every penny

By on Thursday, November 29, 2007

"I had this car since September of 2006 and 219,000 miles n still running w/ of course minor oil dripping n scratches the car is as dependable as ever and I believe it will still run for another 100,000 miles...what the heck it might go for another 200,000+miles."

2003 LE 2WD

By on Friday, October 26, 2007

"I've bought my 2003 Pathfinder new. since then I've taken countless trips, I have 72000 miles on it now. No major reliability issues. the interior quality is better than the current 2004 modes and on. The engine is a workhorse. I'll pass tractor-trailers on two lane roads at 70 plus mph without hesitation. I'll tow up to it's rated 5000 lb capacity, and then some. I got stuck in a bad snow storm in 2005 in Arkansas, with nothing but the all terrain tires on it, I made it through, albeit it wasn't a picnic, but other cars were running off the road, and big rigs were strewn on the hwy like trash. Great safe vehicle, built like a tank even though it's a unibody."

2001 Pathfinder

By on Thursday, August 30, 2007

"This vehicle runs great and is really reliable. It averages about 17.5 MPG with mixed driving. 15 MPG around the city and 21 MPG on the interstate. I can easily tow a boat with it, even with 4 or 5 people inside the pathfinder. I have only had two problems with the vehicle: 1. The oil cooling unit was leaking. It was less than $150 for the dealer to fix it. 2. The CD changer messed up. $200 to repair or $250 to buy one off of EBAY. I went the Ebay route. That's not very much money considering that I have owned the SUV for 4.5 years. Nissan made a really good product with this version of the Pathfinder. I would buy it again if I had to do over again."

Sturdy Vehicle

By on Thursday, July 26, 2007

"Bought this vehicle at 35,000 miles now at 66,000 miles. Repairs have been mainly to the electronic sensors (mass air flow and cam sensors) at 5+ years old and the squeeking belts. Acceleration is excellent on the highway. Mileage 16-18mpg city, 22mpg highway. Overall the vehicle runs very well and is quite reliable. Big enough for 5 adults - this is my third Nissan and I'll definately get another."

Reliable and sturdy but...

By on Saturday, July 14, 2007

"It's been a good reliable vehicle with room for lugage and small amounts of building supplies when the rear seats folded down. The roof rack is sturdy and comes in handy more often than you may think. The cab is not too small and not too big. Seating is fairly comfortable. Drawbacks include lack of logical size storage compartments equals some wasted space and the center armrest/storage compartment is awkward to access. The factory Bose sound system in the 02' model sounds muddy and lacks punch and brilliance. The 6 CD changer works quickly but does not make up for the lackluster Bose system. Also I've heard there are inherent issues with the exaust catalatic converter that the factory is denying is a factory defect. The cruise control activation buttons do not luminate at night and neither do the window control buttons. Night time inside lighting could have been designed better as well. 17-18 mpg"

You won't be sorry!

By on Sunday, July 08, 2007

"I've only had to take the Pathfinder to the garage 2 times...not bad for a 6 year old vehicle. The only indication that something was wrong was the check engine light coming on. The vehicle never lost any power or had any other sign of something being wrong. Both times, it was only a sensor that had gone bad and had to be replaced. I'm very pleased with my Pathfinder and definitely would purchase another Nissan without hesitation."

470,000 MILES AND STILL COUNTING

By on Saturday, August 29, 2015

Pros: "RELIABLE!!!"

Cons: "Leaking Seals had to be fixed several times"

"In 2001, I purchased my 2000 Nissan Pathfinder used in which it had about 14,000. Now, August 2015 "Betsy" has approximately 470,000 miles. I travel and so many miles have been added and I have always felt safe driving her across the state. About 2 years ago, I was having the oil changed and the business called and told me "We are sorry but it is on the rack and will not go in reverse". The transmission went out and I thought oh no it may be time to put her down but she is still going strong. I have written Nissan a letter about the wonderful reliability of "Betsy" about 2 months ago but this must be a norm...no word from them. I had a Nissan Pathfinder before this one that had about 200,000. You cannot go wrong with this SUV and still looks good."

Owned vehicle now for 14 years extremely reliable

By on Sunday, April 05, 2015

Pros: "Is a great value"

"Excellent automobile it is a shame they do not make this style anymore."

5 stars at 100k miles - great all around vehicle

By on Monday, June 02, 2014

Pros: "Driving comfort and performance"

Cons: "has lumbar adj but a bit more for long drives"

"I tried out many vehicles prior to purchasing the Platinum LE used, with 10k miles on it in 2005. To date I've put on 90k so the vehicle has 100k miles on it now. The one mechanical issue I've had was the neutral override swich required replacement at 80k. I have minimal rust despite the recall and salty MN winter roads, I keep it clean and regularly wash undercarriage which helps that lots. I purchased the vehicle due to superior interior styling, comfort, and interior capacity along with handling and engine performance and gas mileage. Other vehicles considered included the Grand Cherokee, Liberty, Durango, Lexus RX350, GMC Envoy, Honda Pilot and Infinity FX45. I paid more than I wanted at 24k but I'll likely be keeping it another 10 years. The interior 4WD swich works smoothly whenever required. and I use it to tow a 17.5 ft fiberglass fish and ski boat with a 115 hp ob motor on it in the summer, which it handles very well."