1996 Nissan Pathfinder

Based on 623 Ratings for the 1996 - 2004 models.

I Love This Vehicle

By on Tuesday, October 28, 2014

Pros: "Reliable and durable"

Cons: "Poor Mileage"

"Best, most reliable vehicle I have ever owned. It has 257,000 miles on it and hasn't needed any major repairs. Tranny still good. Spent some money on getting oil leaks repaired over the years, but consider that fairly typical for the use it's gotten. The Unified Meter Control (Cluster), $365, was replaced about 2 years ago because the dashboard gauges went out, and the only time it didn't start right up for me was when the Distributor Assembly failed, bad ignition coil, needed to be replaced at 247,000 miles. Gas mileage was poor at 13 miles per gallon. Very reliable, well made, and love the vehicle."

Less expensive than a 4Runner, just as capable!

By on Saturday, August 18, 2012

Pros: "Handles very well offroad, TONS of elbow room, fun"

Cons: "15MPG, Acceleration isnt impressive, Its a Unibody"

Not stock, but my version of the pathfinder I love.

"I bought it used and had a lot of work to do to build it up to what I wanted it to be, but now that its there, I love it! I couldnt afford a 4Runner on my college budget, but this has kept up with and performed more capably than the one I go offroading with. It eats gas, cant lie there, and it aint much in a race, but it powers through mud and up hills better than I would have ever thought! Great for winter driving. Its had a beating since I've owned it, but its stood up to everything I've put it through. The storage space is great since the seats fold down. Being a unibody instead of a body on frame design makes it hard to modify suspension-wise (lift). There are only a few options available to the Nissan off road enthusiast, and they are somewhat expensive. But as a college kid in a hick town I've loved this SUV and all its capable of. You'll likely need to change out the rear lower control arm bushings to get rid of a "death wobble" that comes from old factory bushings being worn out. Its a quick fix, and glad I did it because it was scary on the freeway when that sucker started to wobble. But for a lower base-price than the toyota, you can afford some fixing up. Hope this helps your decision."

Not stock, but my version of the pathfinder I love.

Reliable, and rugged vehicle

By on Thursday, December 08, 2011

Pros: "4WD, Reliability, Handling, Strong and capable car"

Cons: "Could use a little more power from the V6"

"I was the second owner of this vehicle, unfortunately due to the strut house tower recall the vehicle was condemned and I got a great deal from Nissan for it. If it wasn't for this recall would have kept it longer. Spent very little in repairs throughout the years, original engine and transmission and 4wd was in tact, a/c worked, stereo worked. Just the little things that come with owning a used vehicle throughout the years. Overall was happy with it. Will miss it. :("

Great reliable vehicle

By on Thursday, December 12, 2013

Pros: "Super comfortable, excellent 4 wheel drive"

Cons: "Hard on gas"

"Bought this for the true 4wd and love it. Super easy to drive, drives like a car. Has great pick up with the 3.5 automatic and is smooth on the highway. A little hard on gas (average 16 to 17 mpg) but for the power it makes sense."

174,574 miles and counting!

By on Wednesday, October 09, 2013

Pros: "Great value!"

Cons: "Center of weight too high."

"This car has only cosmetic and wear and tear damages from long term use, but when we talk about engine and transmission it will last forever. If you own one you know what I mean. This car acts like it doesn't understand aging, literally. As long as you keep changing all those fluids the life of a Pathfinder will keep extending until who knows when. I will volunteer my car to see how many miles you can get out of it. I have decided I'm keeping it forever. That's how satisfied I am about this vehicle. - Roberto Addarich"

Great Car!

By on Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Pros: "Fun to drive, tough, reliable, build quality, look"

Cons: "tight rear conditions,"

"This was my first car and it is nicer than most of the cars that my friends drive. I never have to worry about getting stuck ANYWHERE with the pathfinders great 4-wheel drive ablities. Its fast enough to impress my friends and pass anyone saftely. The exterior looks great, (one of the last good looking pathfinders), and the interior has amazing quality. The back seat is a little small and I can't figure out why the "check engine" light is on but other that that the car runs perfectly. I hardly ever have to get maintenence done on it. I would definitly reccomned this car!"

Like most Nissans, this one is amazing.

By on Thursday, October 27, 2011

Pros: "Attractive, economical, dependable"

Cons: "Doesn't hold value as well as it should"

"With regular scheduled maintenance, this car runs like new. It is nice to look at, drive, ride in, and it is cost-effective. I have never owned a bad Nissan."

I love it

By on Thursday, December 18, 2008

"Ive had my '01 LE 4x4 for a year now and absolutely love it. only problem was 02 sensors and mass air flow sensor...other then that...its been great. good performance for a medium sized SUV. handles good and is a blast to drive. going to really test it offroad in the coming weeks to see how it holds up off pavement... i would recommend this vehicle to everybody"

Sweet Car

By on Tuesday, November 18, 2008

"This car is really awesome. The biggest complaint i have with it is the weak engine and high gear ratio. At 60 mph in 5th gear the RPMs are at 2800 and that causes poor gas mileage. its great for off-roading, towing, and just cruising around town with speed limits 45mph and under. Shift on the fly 4x4 is really sweet and reliable. the leather holds up for a long time. and the engine is forign and of course will last you a long time without trouble. (150,000 so for with me and no issues)"

My Die-Hard Pathfinder 2000

By on Tuesday, September 16, 2008

"I purchased this vehicle new and with 100,000 miles of carefree bliss, how could I complain. At 8000 miles, oxygen sensor under warranty. 4th year, battery. No other repairs beyond ordinary fluid changes and tires. Due to mileage, having timing belt, water pump, oils seals and timing tensioner replaced as I type this. 17/23 mpg. Only complaints, rear suspension has a tendency to bottom out with three adults in back seat and the paint chips fairly easily on front of hood from road pebbles on highways."