1996 Nissan Pathfinder

Based on 580 Ratings for the 1996 - 2004 models.

Reviews Displayed:  5 | 10 | 25

Was great for the 11 years I had it

By on Thursday, March 27, 2014

Pros: "durability"

Cons: "bad rust issue that cuts their life short"

"Very solid, dependable platform, that went through anything in stock trim. The oly time it let me down was when the distributor went and left me stranded. Easy fix though, enough in the bone yards now, so parts are plentiful. Unfortunately, while washing it this winter I noticed a huge hole around the base of the strut tower on the drivers side. There is a recall for this as the tower can come off and bind your steering shaft and knock your master cylinder off leaving the driver with no control. The recall has a fix where they pull your strut and attach a brace between the tower and the frame rail it attaches to. However, if it is determined that the rust has gone beyond the limits set by nissan, they will take your car, immediately get you a rental on nissan's dime and then you deal with nissans adjuster to come to an agreeable buyout, and then they scrap the car. This recall is for all of north america and from what I understand they do KBB plus any recent repairs and then some. I guess to preserve the pathfinder brand. It's too bad, I loved this suv, I'm sure there are some around that weren't hit by the rust out, and I really wouldn't be afraid to buy another sans the rust out. They are just that good, I only did regular maintenance IE oil changes, brakes never a catastrophic failure and I wasn't easy on it."

The 200 Pathfinder is an overall exceptional value

By on Tuesday, March 25, 2014

Pros: "Excellent in snow"

Cons: "Not too many bells and whistles"

"I just love the car and am considering getting the new 2014 pathfinder."

An incredibly reliable and worthy vehicle

By on Thursday, January 30, 2014

Pros: "Great sytling and incrediby reliability."

Cons: "Wish I could get better gas mileage."

"I bought my 1997 Nissan Pathfinder back in 2011 with 257,000 miles on it. I have done regular maintenance and it has never let me down in my near three years of owning it. It rides great, the interior is well made and it is quite a good looking vehicle. I was so impressed with the quality and reliability of my 97 that I bought an 03 today. I know I will be able to get much more use out of my 97 Pathfinder. My 03 will also last me a very long time as well too."

Best overall !

By on Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Pros: "Fun to drive"

Cons: "Nothing"

"Nissan hit it out of the park with this model, comfortable,safe, drives smoothly and saves you at the pump. Newer models can't compete with this one. Maintenance is a dream, as long as you do it's regular oil changes it will keep going. Sub Compact which means it's not oversized so you save on tire prices and it fits everywhere. 3.5 L engine V6 very fast and not noisy at all, revs up fast. Can't beat it!"

Love my 1999.5 Pathfinder!

By on Sunday, January 12, 2014

Pros: "Reliable and responsive."

Cons: "Poor gas milage."

"I got the 1999.5 brand new when the body style changed, so it is essentially a 2000 model. I owned the vehicle for 14 years, and it's been extremely reliable. I've not had anything wrong with the engine. The power windows now are getting slow. I really like the car, and I wish I can buy another one just like it brand new. (Sorry that Nissan has changed the new Pathfinder model to a cross over!) The gas milage is not great, and the seats over long distance get a little uncomfortable. They could use more padding and lumbar support."

Reviews Displayed:  5 | 10 | 25