1996 Nissan Pathfinder

Based on 597 Ratings for the 1996 - 2004 models.

great all around

By on Thursday, October 16, 2014

Pros: "everything really"

Cons: "not a huge fan of the cup holders"

"super reliable, very low upkeep, and drives great in all conditions"

Best vehicle I've ever owned.

By on Wednesday, October 15, 2014

Pros: "Reliable, comfortable, roomy; gas mileage not bad."

Cons: "Some signs of aging"

dealer pic

"My Pathfinder is dear to my heart. It is the most reliable, comfortable car I've ever owned. I've used 4-whl drive one time in the snow in Yosemite - handled beautifully. I've replaced the timing belt and done regular upkeep with my local mechanic. It has a new CD/tape/radio and a new set of speakers. The interior is good, but the plastic coating on the wood insets are beginning to deteriorate. Upholstery is good. Still looks great after a wash; small flaw in the paint on the hood where the weather is catching up. It's not new, but is still a very nice, dependable vehicle. I am a granny; don't need a vehicle this size any longer."

dealer pic

Amazing car, Reliable, great traveling car.

By on Tuesday, October 14, 2014

Pros: "Family Car, Sound System amazing, great price."

Cons: "slow window,mileage,few scratches."

"This car has been in my family for over 10 years and still runs like its brand new, its clean and spacious, the AC and Heater still work (takes time to warm up). The brakes are amazing they take some time to get used to because of how sensitive they are. Just had a check up (10/13/14) will need a new one (1/13/15). Fairly new tires put in the beginning of 2014.The left front window rolls up a little slower then the rest in the winter but still works. The only reason I am trying to sell it is because i go to school and my car isn't very gas efficient for a college student it is more of a family oriented car. Other then that i love my car and if i had a better paying job i would definitely keep it around. The exterior has a couple bumps and scratches but nothing terribly visible."

Great CAR!

By on Saturday, October 11, 2014

"I have owned my Nissan Pathfinder for 14 years! Amazing. Engine is perfect! Alternator perfect! Only thing that has glitched is the Bose sound system. I love this car still riding strong and it has 197,000 miles on it!"

Most dependable car I've ever owned!

By on Friday, September 26, 2014

Pros: "dependability, versatile, gas mileage, 4x4"

Cons: "sluggish on hills"

"I researched like heck before purchasing the pathfinder. Needed a midsize SUV capable of towing, good on gas with a low track history of breakdowns. It came down to the Pathfinder and the toyota 4runner. The pathfinder is outstanding in the snow, especially New England weather with mix of ice etc. Its slow getting up on the highway but you cant expect a hemi motor from a 3.3 V6. Parking is great with good visibility all around, no bad blind spots like with larger SUV's. Suspension rides like a car with the convenance of going off roading and not worrying about tearing something out underneath the body. Ive crossed the country with mine, stacked 24' ladders on the roof racks, gone 4-wheeling, and all the little errands in between. This car is a workhorse! ** For anyone that doesnt know, There was a recall on this vehicle for the front strut tower housing. The metal used to manufacture the body can not withstand road salt and corrodes, causing the strut to push up though the body and against the steering column (usually drivers side). I had mine fixed before the recall occurred. Nissan re-imbursed me in full. They also will fix the issue at any dealer if you buy one that hasnt been corrected. this recall affected 1998-1999 vehicles. Overall though, its a great, well made car. Im about to finally sell mine, but I will not hesitate to ever tell anyone what a great overall dependable vehicle this has been."

Worst of 4 Pathfinders I have owned!

By on Thursday, September 25, 2014

Pros: "Don't use much!"

Cons: "Not a good ride!"

"Has had numerous pickey things would not expect to deal with. Having a door rehung? And no accident so not cause. Multi CD player went out early and reviews said don't bother would break again! Too much sensor replacement! And not cheap! Each succeeding Pathfinder I have had has been worse than the last. l987 was wonderful! My last one for sure."

Great, great car

By on Monday, September 08, 2014

Pros: "Great all around car."

Cons: "Seats not great for people over 5'11""

"I bought my 2001 Nissan Pathfinder new 14 years ago and absolutely love it. It's great in the snow, has plenty of power (in general and uphill), pulls a boat better than an Excursion, fits an impressive amount of cargo, is comfortable, etc. The only work I've ever needed to have done to it is routine maintenance and it runs great. I'm keeping this one!"

Come check it out, make an offer

By on Sunday, August 03, 2014

"New tires, new brake pads, Bose Stereo System, CD and Cassette play."

I love this car.

By on Friday, July 18, 2014

Pros: "Driver's seat, cargo area, 4WD option."

Cons: "Not snappy, rougher ride than a full size sedan."

"I love the captain seating, the cargo area, 4wd option, which I use often in the snow."

This jewel is loaded. Runs great & looks great!

By on Wednesday, July 16, 2014

"We have owned this car since 2003 and consider it a jewel. It has been reliable and trouble free with regular maintenance.We love the beautiful copper color and all the extras like the leather, aluminum wheels, 4WD, automatic, tow package, and much more."

Great vehicle

By on Sunday, July 13, 2014

Pros: "only two owners!!"

"Great vehicle, dependable & reliable. Fun to drive handles well and still looks great!!"

I love this car !!! Hate to sell it!

By on Wednesday, June 25, 2014

Pros: "great in snow! comfy, nice interior"

Cons: "Yeah, can't tow my boat with the V6 - :( very sad"

"Great ride, ease of loading/unloading front and rear...never had any major problems."

Great reliable car!

By on Monday, June 16, 2014

Pros: "Dependable and low maintenance, handles well"

Cons: "Gas mileage could be better"

"I bought this car new in 2004 and still own it. It runs like a champ. I have had only one minor repair with the fan belt in ten years. I wish the gas mileage was better and it burns a little oil starting a year ago. I heard from my tall friends the leg space may be tight for the driver, but tall I am not, so this isn't an issue for me."

GREAT VEHICLE

By on Monday, June 02, 2014

Pros: "NEVER LET ME DOWN"

Cons: "SEATS COULD BE MORE COMFORTABLE,PRONE TO RUST"

"THIS IS THE ONLY VEHICLE THAT I HAVE EVER KEPT FOR MORE THAT 100,000 MILES. IN FACT MY PATHFINDER HAS 201,000 MILES ON IT AND IT RUNS LIKE A CLOCK. UNFORTUNATELY IT IS RUSTING A BIT BUT THEY ARE KNOWN FOR THAT. IT IS VIRTUALLY INDESTRUCTABLE. I HAD AN ACCIDENT WHERE THE VEHICLE WOUND UP ON ITS SIDE. WE RIGHTED IT CLEANED IT OFF, THE SIDEVIEW MIRROR WASN'T EVEN BROKEN,AND THE HIGHWAY PATROL COULDN'T BELIEVE THAT I WENT ON MY WAY. I WOULD RECOMMEND IT TO ANYONE. I AM IN THE PROCESS OF BUYING ONE FOR MY DAUGHTER."

5 stars at 100k miles - great all around vehicle

By on Monday, June 02, 2014

Pros: "Driving comfort and performance"

Cons: "has lumbar adj but a bit more for long drives"

"I tried out many vehicles prior to purchasing the Platinum LE used, with 10k miles on it in 2005. To date I've put on 90k so the vehicle has 100k miles on it now. The one mechanical issue I've had was the neutral override swich required replacement at 80k. I have minimal rust despite the recall and salty MN winter roads, I keep it clean and regularly wash undercarriage which helps that lots. I purchased the vehicle due to superior interior styling, comfort, and interior capacity along with handling and engine performance and gas mileage. Other vehicles considered included the Grand Cherokee, Liberty, Durango, Lexus RX350, GMC Envoy, Honda Pilot and Infinity FX45. I paid more than I wanted at 24k but I'll likely be keeping it another 10 years. The interior 4WD swich works smoothly whenever required. and I use it to tow a 17.5 ft fiberglass fish and ski boat with a 115 hp ob motor on it in the summer, which it handles very well."

Great vehicle and great ride

By on Thursday, May 29, 2014

"Four wheel drive with lots of recent maintenance! (over 5K) Great running condition. Perfect for the mountains or the desert. Fine car for your recent grad who needs a safe, reliable vehicle that with care will last many more years. The rear seats fold down for moving all that stuff back home or to the new apartment!"

Most Reliable Vehicle I've Ever Owned

By on Friday, May 02, 2014

Pros: "Reliable, Low Maintenence"

Cons: "Gas and Break Pedals Stick"

"I got this Truck in 2006 after my 1999 Nissan Altima was destroyed in a car wreck. This truck has served me well. I got the Truck with 80,000 miles on it and now it has 195,000 miles on it and it is still running strong. I will be driving my Pathfinder until the wheels come off of it"

Was great for the 11 years I had it

By on Thursday, March 27, 2014

Pros: "durability"

Cons: "bad rust issue that cuts their life short"

"Very solid, dependable platform, that went through anything in stock trim. The oly time it let me down was when the distributor went and left me stranded. Easy fix though, enough in the bone yards now, so parts are plentiful. Unfortunately, while washing it this winter I noticed a huge hole around the base of the strut tower on the drivers side. There is a recall for this as the tower can come off and bind your steering shaft and knock your master cylinder off leaving the driver with no control. The recall has a fix where they pull your strut and attach a brace between the tower and the frame rail it attaches to. However, if it is determined that the rust has gone beyond the limits set by nissan, they will take your car, immediately get you a rental on nissan's dime and then you deal with nissans adjuster to come to an agreeable buyout, and then they scrap the car. This recall is for all of north america and from what I understand they do KBB plus any recent repairs and then some. I guess to preserve the pathfinder brand. It's too bad, I loved this suv, I'm sure there are some around that weren't hit by the rust out, and I really wouldn't be afraid to buy another sans the rust out. They are just that good, I only did regular maintenance IE oil changes, brakes never a catastrophic failure and I wasn't easy on it."

The 200 Pathfinder is an overall exceptional value

By on Tuesday, March 25, 2014

Pros: "Excellent in snow"

Cons: "Not too many bells and whistles"

"I just love the car and am considering getting the new 2014 pathfinder."

An incredibly reliable and worthy vehicle

By on Thursday, January 30, 2014

Pros: "Great sytling and incrediby reliability."

Cons: "Wish I could get better gas mileage."

"I bought my 1997 Nissan Pathfinder back in 2011 with 257,000 miles on it. I have done regular maintenance and it has never let me down in my near three years of owning it. It rides great, the interior is well made and it is quite a good looking vehicle. I was so impressed with the quality and reliability of my 97 that I bought an 03 today. I know I will be able to get much more use out of my 97 Pathfinder. My 03 will also last me a very long time as well too."

Best overall !

By on Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Pros: "Fun to drive"

Cons: "Nothing"

"Nissan hit it out of the park with this model, comfortable,safe, drives smoothly and saves you at the pump. Newer models can't compete with this one. Maintenance is a dream, as long as you do it's regular oil changes it will keep going. Sub Compact which means it's not oversized so you save on tire prices and it fits everywhere. 3.5 L engine V6 very fast and not noisy at all, revs up fast. Can't beat it!"

Love my 1999.5 Pathfinder!

By on Sunday, January 12, 2014

Pros: "Reliable and responsive."

Cons: "Poor gas milage."

"I got the 1999.5 brand new when the body style changed, so it is essentially a 2000 model. I owned the vehicle for 14 years, and it's been extremely reliable. I've not had anything wrong with the engine. The power windows now are getting slow. I really like the car, and I wish I can buy another one just like it brand new. (Sorry that Nissan has changed the new Pathfinder model to a cross over!) The gas milage is not great, and the seats over long distance get a little uncomfortable. They could use more padding and lumbar support."

Minor Maintenance, Great ride, 4WD

By on Thursday, January 09, 2014

Pros: "not too expensive, luxurious, decent gas mileage,"

Cons: "belt driven cooling fan is a pain, more power"

"I had to replace the oil cooler seals and the alternator right off the bat buying this used, but it runs strong and the 4WD has got me through some sticky and slippery situations. I owned a 1999.5 Pathfinder (and still do), but it's previous owner did not take care of it and rust pretty much claimed it. These are great cars and work really well for commuting on the road, or running through the woods on muddy trails. They have a decent towing capacity and can pull a mid-sized camper with ease. They are reliable and as long as you take care of them, will last forever."

easy & comfortable to drive, best vehicle ever

By on Friday, January 03, 2014

Pros: "FUNE 6 EASY TO DRIVE - POWER WINDOWS, BOUGHT NEW"

Cons: "NO GPS"

"EASY TO GET INTO TO. TINTED WINDOWS & VISORS, TOP RACK FOR EXTRA STORAGE, BACK SEATS FOLD DOWN FOR EASY PACKING. SIDE RAILS, BACK WINDOW OPEN IF NEEDED WITH OUT OPENING WHOLE BACK DOOR, 6 CD & CASSETE AM FM RADIO, AUTO LIGHTS, CAN LOCK WINDOWS AIR BAGS BOTH FRONT SIDES. FLOOR MATS LATCH, AUTOMATIC,CRUISE CONTROL, FRONT & BACK WIND SHEILD WIPER/WASHERS - SLOW FAST & INDERMEDIANT WIPERS,CAN CHANGE VOLUME ON STEERING WHEEL & CRUISE, CUP HOLDERS SIDE DOOR STORAGE & CONSOLE 2 SECTION STORAGE, GLOVE COMPARTMENT, BACK SEAT HAS ARM REST IF NEEDED, ASH TRAY IF NEEDED."

Great reliable vehicle

By on Thursday, December 12, 2013

Pros: "Super comfortable, excellent 4 wheel drive"

Cons: "Hard on gas"

"Bought this for the true 4wd and love it. Super easy to drive, drives like a car. Has great pick up with the 3.5 automatic and is smooth on the highway. A little hard on gas (average 16 to 17 mpg) but for the power it makes sense."