1994 Nissan Pathfinder

Based on 168 Ratings for the 1987 - 1995 models.

awesome!

By on Sunday, January 20, 2008

"i personally own a 1995 nissan pathfinder and have driven it from ny to seattle and back. i dont even want another truck"

Best little SUV

By on Tuesday, January 15, 2008

"I bought my 1995 Pathfinder in 2000 with 72,000 miles on it, and put another 90K on it before totalling it in a wreck last month. That was a sad day. Prior to that, I took good care of it and it took good care of me for seven years of serious driving. In the snow, off-road, towing a 16-ft. ski boat, driving in the city, on the freeway, you name it. Pulled the boat with all our camping gear and two big dogs. Only problem ever was a cooling system belt that broke, but even still it made it 60 miles down the freeway! Never had to do anything that wasn't routine maintenance (tires, brakes, oil changes, tune-ups). Spent the extra dough at 100K on replacing the timing belt, water pump, belts/ hoses-- worth it. If not for the wreck we'd still be on the road together, and probably going strong for another 100k miles. I miss my Pathfinder!"

ROCK SOLID

By on Tuesday, September 11, 2007

"I purchased my 1995 Pathfinder in 2000 with 88,000 highway miles on it. It now has 176,000 miles and drives as nicely as it did when I first got it. I've put it through all sorts of adventures: cross country trips, 4x4ing in the deserts of Utah and the mountains of Colorado, crazy roads and traffic in Mexico, etc. The only problem I've had is a mysterious issue with the starter. I have gone through five in two years, and the only thing we can figure is some sort of electrical problem from the ignition to the starter. The gas mileage isn't very good and the power of the engine isn't the best, but it has been the most dependable and well built vehicle I have ever owned. Nissan offers as good a truck/SUV as Toyota for thousands less."

Like the Energizer bunny!

By on Sunday, September 02, 2007

"This truck just keeps going and going...! Other than routine maintenance and expected repairs for a vehicle with 235,000+ miles, we have had no trouble with it! Original clutch and engine...we trust it enough to take on vacation. Only real complaint is the MPG (15-17), which is not much worse than the newer ones."

Old Faithful

By on Friday, July 27, 2007

"This is an absolutely reliable car for any purpose. She's good-looking, practical and fun. We've used her through Soccer travels, Camping and 'Dress Up'. Followed regular maintenance and never had a problem. Our boys and their friends got bigger, so we needed more room. A '93 with 165K miles, she passed NJ inspection and we sadly passed her on for new ventures. GREAT CAR!!"

Strong like Bull

By on Friday, July 20, 2007

"I inherited my '89 from a good friend who passed. What a great gift! This is the best truck I have ever owned. It will go through/over anything and is great in the snow. I just wish it had a bit more power, and better fuel mileage."

This thing is "Bullet Proof".

By on Monday, January 23, 2012

"Keep up the maintenance and there is no end to how long these things will run. No major repairs, and it purrs like a kitten. I bleieve it will make at laast 400,000 it may even reach 500,000 miles."

Dependable

By on Sunday, August 19, 2007

"I bought this 1993 Pathfinder SE in 1998. I describe it as dependable, comfortable and powerful. This 93 Pathfinder was a dealer demo, so it came with every possible option. The only maintinance provided are routine oil changes, cooling system flush, tires, brakes & batteries. This Pathfinder has experienced 99.5% on road use where it performs flawlessly. It is comfortable for local and distance driving. Getting in and out is great, without stooping, as seats are at my 5'10" hip height. Everything still works and until a couple years ago all parts were original. It now has a replacement CD unit. Off road it also performs great, it came with a limited slip differential, however if you wish off roading to be your primary use you'd want a winch, brush guard and hubs that stay engaged in 4WD in reverse. Currently the valve cover gasket needs to be replaced as does the charcoal emission cannister, windshield washer motor, drive and timing belts as well as replacement spark plugs, wires & distributer cap for it's first tune-up since I purchased it. All drive and the timing belt were replaced at 75K miles and the catalytic converter was replaced 1n 2006. This SUV has 122K miles and still all systems operate as new. This vehicle has never left me stranded. At this moment the original engine, transmission, auto windows, keyless entry, alarm, moon roof, etc. function as new. I live in CA and the auto clinate control is perfect in sumer and winter. It has a standard 3.0L 6 cylinder motor and an optional "sport/touring" control for the shocks which assist with traction in winter cold, ice, snow, and rain. This option also helps to control the vehicle on bad or no roads. This SUV is still without leaks or subsequent inside fogging. It's exterior and interior design are comparable to newer SUV's, so it still appears to be current in design. It doesn't appear to be a 15 year old SUV. I am going to have the above mentioned preventive maintinance performed to enable my continued use of the versatility and trailer towing features of this SUV. The only reason it was replaced as a primary vehicle were gasoline prices & lack of air bags. This SUV's negatives are; limited interior cargo space, expensive parts, (cruise control was fixed) lack of air bag poor rear visability, "inherent in high SUV's" Overall, this SUV has and continues to be a dependable & versatile work-horse. As stated, this SUV has provided 15 years and 122K plus miles as a commute and long distance pleasure vehicle with some off-road use. Given it's not in an accident, with continued routine maintinance, and having the items listed above corrected, it should probably provide another 15 years and 150K plus miles of additional service. As stated, this vehicle is a pleasure to own and opperate."

great shape

By on Monday, March 19, 2012

Pros: "very clean, low mileage and reliable"

Cons: "Husband was a smoker until 5 years ago."

"My husband purchased this SUV new. he loved it and only drove it 95,516 miles since he brought it home from the dealer. During the warranty period all work was done by Nissan. After the warranty all service was performed by a local mechanic we have used for 29 years. Due to the passing of my husband I want to sell it because i have a small car and i can't get used to driving such a big vehicle."

MECHANICALLY SOUND!

By on Saturday, February 04, 2012

Pros: "VERY MECHANICALLY DEPENDABLE!"

Cons: "needed a stronger engine for towing 4 Wheelers"

"~100 ALASKA miles per day. Vehicle continues to go go go...a little maintenance really PAYS off! would still be my daily driver, but the AK backroads winter salt finally began to show after 13 yrs, I needed a stronger engine for towing. VERY reliable vehicle! It is a back-up vehicle now"

Trouble Free Performance and Good Looks

By on Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Pros: "Lots of power and great handling"

Cons: "Only get 18 mpg overall."

"I am the 3rd owner of this car. It had 53,000 miles on it when I bought it. It now has 281000 miles. I have made a minimal investment in repairs, but have change the oil every 3K miles and taken good care of the transmission. This car is still fun to drive and very responsive and dependable."

This was the best car I have ever owned

By on Tuesday, August 09, 2011

Reason: traded it in

Pros: "Reliable, good 4WD system, Body on Frame design, Two speed transfer case etc etc etc."

Cons: "seats get a little unconfortable, MPG isn't great."

"I bought my 1995 Pathfinder SE (Tobie was his name) in 2001 and sold it in 2010. When I picked it up, it had 75,000 miles on it and when I let it go, I had 210,000 on the clock. The only mechanical part that ever failed on that truck was the starter and that didn't happen until after the 200K mark. Other than that, standard maintenance stuff. This truck just worked, day in and day out, without stop. Reliable is an understatement. I drove it back and forth across the country towing a duel axle uhaul trailer. I had it on some serious trails in the Montana back country and the 4WD never let me down, no lift and no over sized tires either. I still regret getting rid of it and if I can find another one with decent mileage, I'm getting it. It is slow and maybe a tad under powered but it's basically a box with wheels. MPG isnt great but it really never is with any 4WD SUV of this size. You could do worse. Aerodynamics were not of concern for Nissan when they designed this car. For the price you can pick one of these up at, you can't find a better rig. Seriously no lie, best car I have ever owned."

Excellent vehicle!!

By on Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Pros: "BEAST"

Cons: "BEAST"

"1995 Pathfinder SE 4x4. I bought this truck in 2005 with 72,000 mi. It now has 200,000 mi. This thing is a beast! Runs so strong and is excellent off-road. I have never gotten stuck! snow, sand, mud, dunes, trails, beaches, you name it. Mine has leather, 4-wheel discs, ABS and is in decent shape so that helps make it feel 'newer'. It's comfortable for long hauls too, mines been across the country twice. Will drive mine till the wheels fall off..... I would highly recommend this vehicle, but you need to know what you're getting into. The good: cheap, reliable, bullet-proof, competent off-road (and on). The bad: It's an old, body-on-frame truck = rough. It's slow. It gets poor mpg. PS - these older Pathfinders had AUTO transmission problems due to the cooling lines getting clogged. A $100 aftermarket cooler (attached to the radiator) solves the problem. If you are looking at a high mileage (125k ) pathfinder that doesn't have one, be wary. If reverse is slipping or out, RUN ($2000 repair)!!"

Great Overall SUV

By on Monday, February 23, 2015

Pros: "very reliable, 4x4 works great"

Cons: "underpowered"

"Great overall SUV. When I first purchased it (about 164k miles) it would have issues starting. Turns out the starter was going bad, and one day it didn't start and had to be towed. Starter is a bear to replace and takes a shop 3 hours and if you do it yourself 5-6 hours. After replacing the starter I haven't had any issues. I've owned a couple Jeep Cherokees and this far surpasses their ability when off-roading. Engine runs smoother than just about any vehicle I have owned. They are a little underpowered, but during the winter is a good thing as you don't get tire spin like you would with something with more get up and go. They are rated at about 14MPG city, but I average 16 MPG. Best being 16.7, worst being about 14.9 (city only). As long as you find one that has been taken care of you will have a vehicle that will get you through anything and start every time."

Too Good To Let Go

By on Tuesday, June 09, 2009

"My '93 was purchased from my brother in '96 with 60K on it at the time. I now have over 250,000 on it, and just paid my mechanic (a Nissan master mechanic who left the dealership) to give it whatever it needed: new shocks, brakes, electrical work and repair of an exhaust leak, because I cannot bear to part with it. The transmission is not original - was replaced while still under warranty. The original engine blew a year ago, due to a different mechanic's failure to properly diagnose a timing problem (when my trusted mechanic was temporarily unavailable). I paid my mechanic to find a replacement engine last year, one with 100K on it, and have not looked back. Was told once by another Nissan master mechanic that this production year was still a truck chassis, but later years are built on a car chassis, and that I should never let this one go. So far, I have had to agree. BTW - my brother gave this one up for a '95, which now has over 300K on it."

Great SUV for the Money

By on Saturday, December 29, 2007

"I purchased a 1994 Pathfinder 3 years ago with 102000 miles on it. It just turned 180000. Besides routine maintenance it has been great. This is my second Pathfinder, my first was a 1993 that I purchased in 1997 with 24000 miles on it and drove it to 150000 before selling it to my sister-in-law who drove it to 220000 before trading it in. Here is what to look for (potential issues): Frame: it can rust out above and behind the rear wheels, look at that carefully. Exhaust: the studs rust/rot out on the manifold causing leaks. Oxygen sensor: will go bad, but does not trigger a service light. If you get poor gas mileage replace it. I did on my second one and went from 200 miles on a tank to 300, well worth the investment with gas at $3 a gallon."

Best Vehicle that I ever owned

By on Wednesday, April 15, 2015

Pros: "This is a fun vehicle and it just keeps going."

Cons: "The transmission, the only problem that I have had"

"My Nissan Pathfinder has served me for 20 years. The engine has never given me any problems and is still running strong. The interior and exterior has held up well. And it has had a real workout. This is a vehicle that is hard to beat for a SUV or anything comparable."

Like a part of the family

By on Sunday, November 03, 2013

Pros: "Reliable, safe, cargo and passenger vehicle, 4 x 4"

Cons: "so-so gas mileage,"

FUN. 10 hour road trip from N. Jersey to N. Carolina. Kids slept in the back with the seats down.

"I had a 1991 Pathfinder Red like the picture above in my family for three generations. The last person to drive it was born in 1990. She hit the back of a U-haul truck that suddenly stopped in front of her and damaged the head light assembly, pushed the fender in and scratched the hood. At this point the rust/rot was bad enough not to fix it. It was a very sad day when we drover her to the junkyard :( She was a good old friend. She was very versatile but, not very good on gas. She was a looker. I changed the timing belt apporx every 60k miles, and needed a new transmission at 140,000. She moved cargo on roof racks, barreled through snow with 4 wheel drive, drove country streets, city streets in NY, as well as back roads. There wasn't anything this faithful truck couldn't do that was asked of her. She carried a child from an infant; and, when that child learned to drive, she was her one and only. In 20 years this Pathfinder served us all well."

I like it, I don't love it, not gas economical.

By on Saturday, October 13, 2012

Pros: "Dependable, passes the Cal smog check always."

Cons: "Not gas efficient."

"I hate the lack of gas efficiency, i'm very very frugal,but I love that it passes the California smog check each and everytime (unlike my 1991 Honda Accord),despite that i've owned it since 2003, and I love the comfort."

One of the best

By on Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Pros: "everything is great"

Cons: "not very gas efficent"

"i have owned a 1995 Nissan Pathfinder since 1996 i have had nothing but great things from this vehicle and it still runs today. keeping up with the new vehicles on the block. working having to travel a lot, with home health so it was a plus that the vehicle was very reliable. since we have owned this vehicle we have only had about 2 problems with it. that would be water pump went out one time, and the steering while lock. no transmission problems what so ever. every time we are looking to purchase a new vehicle, the 1st place we look is Nissan."

best 4x4 suv i have ever had

By on Monday, June 28, 2010

"i had my 95 pathfinder se for about 7 months and i have been in some tough situtations and made it out without being pulled or winch.it out did my buddys 2001 jeep.i have only had one problem with it and it was the timing belt.it gets great gas miliage and is comfortable on long trips. my wife ran into another car and the only thing it tore up was the headlight and hood latch and small dent on the bumper. the other car looked like a train hit it.she drove it home after the wreck and when the other HAD to be towed and still drove great. since she went back to driving it put a brush guard on lol.but it is tough as nails.and i hope to own it for another 30,000 miles before i get a newer one.i would highly recommend if u find one buy it weather u use for driving or fun it wont let you down."

Awesome reliability

By on Thursday, June 27, 2013

Pros: "reliable, good looking, roomy"

"I've owned this car for 13 years and it has been (by far) more reliable than the toyotas and honda I've owned. Love it!"

finally selling my Pathfinder

By on Monday, October 24, 2011

Pros: "extremely reliable, comfortable"

Cons: "terrible gas mileage, these days it's $60 to fill"

"i've had my car 15 years, got it when it was 2 years old. i've 180,000 miles on it. the only repairs i have ever had to do were basic wear and tear, age-related. i'm really sad to let it go, it's been an amazing car for 15 years now. but it's time. i highly recommend the Pathfinder!"

love it

By on Saturday, August 16, 2008

"300 doller 4 years ago with a new set of tires."

Love my baby!

By on Saturday, June 29, 2013

Pros: "Fun, Versatile, durable"

Cons: "bad gas mileage"

"Bought my Pathfinder from my brother about 5 years ago. Great truck! I love how high it sits, there are practically no blind spots and so far an amazing ride. He handles offroading great, and has only broken down once, and even then was easy to repair. (Blew the alternator last weekend) He always passes Emissions with flying colors and has a nice, big trunk for groceries or having fun. ;) My only complaint is the gas mileage, but I guess you can expect that on most older trucks. All in all, very pleased!"