• 2014 Compact SUV Buyer's Guide

2005 Nissan Murano

Based on 560 Ratings for the 2003 - 2008 models.

Great car to drive, more repairs than expected

By on Thursday, August 07, 2014

Pros: "fun to drive"

Cons: "too many failures"

"Still a great car to drive. Power train very responsive, sturdy ride, quick handling. Several significant repairs needed for mileage, Nissan service departments not honest and less than reliable."

great condition, reliable, clean inside and out

By on Wednesday, August 06, 2014

Pros: "handles very smoothly, accelaration powerful"

Cons: "comes in single disc player"

"great condition, very reliable, no problems that i am aware of, maintenance done regularly, inside is nice and clean!"

Good car. Not great but good.

By on Thursday, July 24, 2014

Reason: Began to have too many issues.

Pros: "Room, relaiblity, features."

Cons: "Mileage, cost to own/operate."

"Got one for the wife. Bought it new a base but adequately equipped S model with AWD. We owned it for 9 years and put 189K on it. We had 1 issue around 100k with the door locks failing to engage and the rear hatch not able to open from the outside. This small issue cost us $700 at the dealer. This was our first CVT car and although i was nervous about it (especially with its history) it operated flawlessly right up to the day we traded the car. The 3.5V6 was also flawless right up to the day of trade (still having the original plugs in it). Around 160K we had an inlet pipe on the muffler rust out (common for this car) and got it welded for $100. At 180K+ we started needing axel shafts and wheel bearings and decided it was time to part ways with the Murano. We liked the car but... were very dissappointed in the mileage and that it didnt last another year or two and go past 200K. Mileage on regular in mixed/mostly highway driving was 18.5-19.5MPG. Factor the dissappointing mileage, the expense of the big tires and the repairs into the price of the vehile and the financing and this was an expensive vehicle to own and operate which dissappointed us. So a good Car but not a great car."

Disappointed in the quality of this Nissan model.

By on Sunday, June 29, 2014

"Disappointed in the quality of this Nissan model. I thought buying foreign would ensure excellent quality but it's been one thing after another that needed replacement on this vehicle. I will go back to Ford and American once I sell this."

great car

By on Wednesday, June 11, 2014

"I've owned this car for 11 years- minor normal repairs, rides as smoothe as it did 11 yrs ago. I love this car! I am short so its easy to get in and out of- and very roomy inside"

Near-perfect car for price/reliability/comfort.

By on Monday, June 09, 2014

Pros: "Price/reliability/comfort is unsurpassed."

Cons: "Desire separate rear passenger heat & A/C."

"I'm 6'5" and have trouble finding cars with head & leg room. This SUV has both, even with a moonroof. I have had NO PROBLEMS with this car and will most likely be purchasing another one as it's replacement. It travels well and, as all SUVs do, offers a nice view of the road. I religiously adhere to the recommendations of a nationally-known consumer magazine, and this car has consistently been rated highly and (usually) a 'best buy.' I love the smooth CVT no-jerk transmission."

Excellent, comfortable vehicle

By on Monday, April 28, 2014

"Love this car - it has its issues i.e. electrical...car doors lock by themselves, new battery every two yrs or less - check engine light comes on with nothing wrong Have not had any major issues with regular upkeep"

Growing on me

By on Wednesday, April 23, 2014

Pros: "fun to drive"

Cons: "maintenence"

"We purchased the 2006 Murano, and right off the bat we began having issues. First off, it is almost impossible to go to anyone but the dealer for oil changes/regular maintenance. We tried to take it to our regular mechanic but each time we ended up having to take it back in to the dealer. Watch out for the air box...if it is not put on right, your car will die in the middle of the highway. Most of the issues we've had seem to be due to the fact that the previous owners failed to keep up with maintenance. So...we've been slowly catching up. The interior is amazing, ours has multi-disc CD, a DVD player, back up camera, heated leather seats..the works! It's been great for long road trips. The exterior is smooth, and has not shown much wear. Gas mileage is touch and go, city is about 17, highway anywhere from 20-22 MPG. I don't think i'll own another Murano after this, but it has been a learning curve."

Had this 8 years, still like new.

By on Saturday, March 29, 2014

Pros: "CV transmission"

Cons: "No volt meter, oil pressure, but 5 odometers?"

"I've had this 06 Mo 8 years. Still drives, rides and looks like it did when it came off the showroom. Can't believe the KBB price. It's worth more than twice that to me."

Best car I have ever owned.

By on Thursday, March 27, 2014

Pros: "Great relaible driver for anyone."

Cons: "Rear blind spot."

"Wonderful car. Very pleasing style, comfortable, reliable, safe, and very good gas mileage for a vehicle of the size. The CVT transmission is simply the best. Engine is quiet and extremely well balanced. I would buy this vehicle again and recommend highly."

best vehicle ever.

By on Tuesday, March 18, 2014

"this is the best and safest car ever."

Very good, reliable vehicle.

By on Friday, February 21, 2014

Pros: "Uses regular grade gasoline. Carrying capacity."

Cons: "Small steering wheel."

"This has been one of my better cars to own and drive. Average 22 mpg, and can carry more gear than my wife's ML320. The handling is excellent and it uses regular grade gasoline. Driving in snow is no problem either."

Sharp looking with good comfort but has issues!

By on Wednesday, February 19, 2014

Pros: "nice ride, nice looking, good pickup"

Cons: "Dependability issues!!!"

"My 2007 Murano SL with 96000 miles is sharp looking with a nice ride and good pickup. Having said that I have been very disappointed because of transmission, front end and other quality repair issues. If you are considering this vehicle check the transmission warranty!"

Very comfortable family road car.

By on Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Pros: "Good driver, comfortable, safe vehicle, saves tire"

Cons: "21 mpg and awkward navigation."

"The SL AWD is a good bad weather car, great handling, very good power and a highway cruiser. Good seating and luggage space. Navigation is old school but works well. Economy is ~21mpg highway and 19-20 city stop and go. With air bags all around it is as safe as it gets. Backup camera and great brakes makes it even better. Body black paint is good but should be garaged to prevent clear coat separation. At 72,000 miles mine is still very strong and a good ride."

This car has never given me any problems.

By on Sunday, January 19, 2014

Pros: "reliable"

Cons: "for the price, none"

"I am very impressed with how well this car has held up. Aside from having to replace the battery, it has been very reliable with only regular maintenance performed on it."

I love this car!

By on Wednesday, January 08, 2014

Pros: "reliablity, size of cabin, excellent seat position"

Cons: "gas mileage, noise, some plastic parts"

"I bought it new in 2004 and have kept up the maintenance the last 10 years. It is very reliable. I am looking forward to another and increased gas mileage (only caveat) The style and reliability are amazing. I would recommend it to anyone who wants luxury and the ability to move just about anything. I hope the new one has Bose speakers."

Awesome car, Rocket on rails

By on Monday, December 30, 2013

Pros: "Handeling, Constant power, Great brakes"

Cons: "Heating and airconditioning is a little weak"

"I have owned the 2004 Nissan Murrano for 2 years and it is a dynamo. Great ride, Handling of a sports car with the comfort of a family car. Large cargo area. It is my wifes car and I drive it every chance I get. We bought this car due to another vehicle requiring a massive expensive repair and bought on the fly. I was leery of the CVT transmission but it turns out to be really awesome. Power on takeoff remains constant. You do not feel the gears shift. It is truely an exillerating car to drive."

Great Machine

By on Tuesday, December 03, 2013

Pros: "Fun to drive, looks good, feels very safe."

Cons: "Oil Dipstick, Ugly instrument cluster,"

"I bought this new in 2007. Very low maint so far. Only complaint engine/drivetrain is the oil dipstick. I feel like I am on candid camera trying to read it. It never reads on the mark, even after oil changes. We love the driveability and stability. Been on many trips. I would definately purchase another Murano. It feels very safe which makes me feel good to have my wife and daughter commute in."

Spitting engine pieces

By on Friday, November 15, 2013

Pros: "Looks pretty"

Cons: "To many problems , not nornal wear and tear"

"Had the car for a year with regular oil changes. Last oil change end of May 2013. Waiting on tires to come in with the dealership to do the next oil change. The day the tires came in the engine locked. Dealership said it "spit out engine parts"...Really!!!! $8000 for a new engine $5700 for a used with 93K miles. Independent mechanic looked at the vechicle and the same thing happened...engine parts breaking off. He said this is definetly a manufactuing problem of course NISSAN (corporate) doesn't care. I still owe $6500. I wish I had known this before I purchased the $30K+ 2013 Altima last year, I'm afraid of what I have to look forward to on this one. I should have gone with the Passat :-(. I guess it's not to late."

Love my Murano!

By on Tuesday, November 12, 2013

"A perfect crossover SUV. Comfortable ride. Good gas mileage, 21-24 mpg highway, 14-17 city. No blind spots. Great body style. I estimate average maintenance cost at 1500.00 every 5 years. Love the body style and profile. Tires are wider, giving it a heftier stance and balance. Cruise control is spot on. As with any car, regular oil changes are a must!"

great car

By on Sunday, October 27, 2013

Reason: need of truck

Pros: "very comfortable"

Cons: "no cons"

"all around great car. Never had 1 problem with it and great on gas."

One of the best values for an SUV on the market

By on Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Reason: Trade in on 2012 Kia Sorento

Pros: "Comfortable, Peppy, handles well."

Cons: "gas mileage lists as 18/26 we only got 17/22"

"I bought the 2005 Murano in 2009 for $18.5K which I though was a little steep for a 4 year old SUV with 33K miles. I was wrong! This was the best vehicle I've ever owned. It was very comfortable even on 5 hour long trips. The leather quality was very good and held up against wear and tear. Visibility was great all around. Handling was quick and responsive and the engine sure didn't lack power. This baby can move. I never had a problem with suspension, transmission , mechanical or any windows. The only problem with mine was the plastic protective coating on the front cracked and got moldy. Gas mileage was about 3-4 MPG lower than posted but still respectable at 17/23. There was nothing wrong with the truck when I traded it in and in hindsight would have kept it if I could have afforded 2 truck payments. KBB trade-in value was on mark but dealer resale for these is still at $14-18K even with 63K+ miles. If I want my same truck back it will cost me $16K now! Quite a profit for the dealer. Look at what these are selling for before you trade one in and work between that and the KBB values. If you want a high quality, reliable SUV you should definitely look at one of these."

No doubt one of the 2 best cars I have owned.

By on Monday, October 07, 2013

Pros: "CVT, Driver position, handling, rearseat room"

Cons: "Windnoise, wipers tend to chatter in light rain."

"132000 miles. Replace rear hatch lock twice. Replace driver seat frame. Replace 3 sensors. All under warranty. Replace AC condenser $700 replace crank & camshaft sensors $600 not under warranty. On the third set of tires & second set of brakes. Normal maintenance. Love the CVT tranny, ride comfort & overall performance. Caution-the front end gets a little light a 120+ (don't ask how I know this) Gets just under 22MPG regardless of conditions. I have a 2WD model. In retrospect I would order the AWD since I live in a snowy environment."

Would buy another Murano

By on Wednesday, October 02, 2013

Pros: "comfort, reliability, safety are all excellent"

Cons: "minor things like the sunvisor, power seat"

"We have over 83000 miles on this vehicle and have only replaced the tires once and a front set of brakes. The visor was replaced and the power drivers seat has been a problem. Great ride and the 3.5L engines Nissan has produced for years is iron clad. I know people getting a couple hundred thousand miles out of the 3.5L engines."

Love our Murano!

By on Monday, September 30, 2013

Pros: "Great space, great drive, great power, efficient."

Cons: "Seat broke, CD player broke, uses some oil."

"We've owned our Murano for years, and it's been mostly trouble-free for most of it's life despite having just passed 150k miles. We've had some work done, yes, but no more than other cars we've owned in the past. The comfort level of the Murano is second to none. Our rear seat passengers always compliment on how much rear legroom there is, and we stay comfortable even on very long trips. The ride of our SE model is a little harsh on rough pavement, but on the highway it's amazingly smooth and agile. We get through St. Louis winters with our two-wheel-drive model with no problems, and average around 20mpg overall! When recently shopping for a new car, we literally couldn't find anything we liked as much as our Murano. It's a truly fantastic car!"