2004 Nissan Murano

Based on 588 Ratings for the 2003 - 2007 models.

Nope

By on Tuesday, March 8, 2016

Pros: "Nice design"

Cons: "Constant mechanical issues"

"I would not recommend this car to anyone. I bought this car with 76k miles and am up to 136k now. The car does not have pick up, constant problems after 100k miles. I feel like I am taking the car to the mechanic every other week for a different issue. I loved it when I test drove the car but after having it for a while I can not wait to trade it in."

Murano Lemon

By on Sunday, August 16, 2009

"Less than 108,000 miles have had the following problems and/or replaced the following items (in no particular order): 1. 3 alternators (last one ruined the wiring and the new battery) 2. 2 transmissions (actually 3 because Nissan sold a defective one and they have not reimbursed labor for THEIR defective part. 3. rear hatch shocks replaced 4. valve body assemby 5. fuel door locking assemby (dealer not fix correctly--have given up) 6. fuel pump 7. differential side seal 8. exhaust manifold 9. lower oil pan gasket 10. power steering line 11. power windows 12. air intake tube 13. oil cooler O-ring assembly 14. Outer tie rod ends"

Disappointed in Arizona

By on Wednesday, October 21, 2009

"The car has the look and feel of a true luxury SUV, however, it does not hold up well under use. I am so glad I took out the extra policy to cover major problems or it would be sitting in my driveway. I've had mine for approx. 5 years and have had a lot of problems. Drive door glass rattles (dealership never could fix), transmission went out (had supplemental insurance coverage), CD jammed and had to be replaced by BOSE, driver side visor is broken (not covered by dealership), front chrome grille bubbled (had to pay to replace), headlights fogged up after several years (expense was not covered), they been re-done several times and still look awful. The big ticket item (transmission) was covered but I've still been out a lot of expense on this vehicle and it's only 5 years old!"

Very good, reliable vehicle.

By on Friday, February 21, 2014

Pros: "Uses regular grade gasoline. Carrying capacity."

Cons: "Small steering wheel."

"This has been one of my better cars to own and drive. Average 22 mpg, and can carry more gear than my wife's ML320. The handling is excellent and it uses regular grade gasoline. Driving in snow is no problem either."

Absolutely LOVE it!

By on Thursday, June 4, 2009

"I was just in an accident (not my fault) with my 2005 murano and unfortunately it's totaled - but I'm NOT! There is no doubt the safety features on this vehicle saved me from serious harm. I do have a broken rib, and some bruising, but it should have much worse looking at my car. Would I recommend this car to a friend, even one with children - you BET!!! As soon as I get my insurance claim, I'm heading down to get me another one! Way to go Nissan!"

Money Pit

By on Tuesday, August 18, 2009

"Bought from Nissan dealer with 63,000 miles. At 65,000 it needed a new CVT transmission for $7,000. Nissan corporate acknowledged known prblem but buyer beware, Murano's useful life ends around 65,000 miles. Just read Nissan Forums and other owner problems with the 2003 Murano. Either pass by this vehicle or get warranty with purchase."

Some problems-But still love it!

By on Wednesday, September 10, 2008

"I have a 2005 with 65K. Everytime I look at it I cannot believe I own it! BUT I have had some issues. A CD is in my player and will not eject. I was advised at the dealership there was nothing they could do other than put in a new system ($1K)! SO I do not have a working CD player. I have issues with the doors locking/unlocking. Never fails I leave the grocery store with 30 bags and my hatch will not open! It is now to the point that my passenger front door only locks manually and on occasions the only door that unlocks is the rear drivers! Plus there is no way to open with a key. Very frustrating! And the tires!! You need an additional loan when they need to be replaced so beware. Otherwise it looks and drives so nice! Not sure if I would purchase again just because of cost/maintenance and I have limited funds. If $ was no option I would definetly buy again. Really nice ride. I love the big comfy seats in the front! And the way it looks on the outside."

One of the best values for an SUV on the market

By on Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Reason: Trade in on 2012 Kia Sorento

Pros: "Comfortable, Peppy, handles well."

Cons: "gas mileage lists as 18/26 we only got 17/22"

"I bought the 2005 Murano in 2009 for $18.5K which I though was a little steep for a 4 year old SUV with 33K miles. I was wrong! This was the best vehicle I've ever owned. It was very comfortable even on 5 hour long trips. The leather quality was very good and held up against wear and tear. Visibility was great all around. Handling was quick and responsive and the engine sure didn't lack power. This baby can move. I never had a problem with suspension, transmission , mechanical or any windows. The only problem with mine was the plastic protective coating on the front cracked and got moldy. Gas mileage was about 3-4 MPG lower than posted but still respectable at 17/23. There was nothing wrong with the truck when I traded it in and in hindsight would have kept it if I could have afforded 2 truck payments. KBB trade-in value was on mark but dealer resale for these is still at $14-18K even with 63K+ miles. If I want my same truck back it will cost me $16K now! Quite a profit for the dealer. Look at what these are selling for before you trade one in and work between that and the KBB values. If you want a high quality, reliable SUV you should definitely look at one of these."

I love this car and would drive it forever.

By on Saturday, October 29, 2011

Pros: "Comfort, fun to drive, handles well, great in snow"

Cons: "Gas mileage"

"I bought this car used in 2006 with 20,000 miles on it. I love it. I drive a lot of miles and have no problem moving fast through traffic and this car is the perfect car to do it. We affectionately call it the "sofa on wheels". It has an amazing amount space in it and it is so comfy. I have had to replace brakes a few times, put one new battery in, and new tires. I've had some exhaust issues. Just now at 130K miles, I am having exhaust efficiency problems. I am not sure if it is the catalytic converter or not. I also had to replace a wheel bearing/hub recently. The person I bought this car off of sold it to me because he was buying a new Nissan Murano. It still looks beautiful."

It was all good until...

By on Saturday, September 24, 2011

Pros: "Keyless entry and engine start are very convenient. Nice style."

Cons: "High maintenance costs, low quality manufacturing"

"I love love loved my Nissan UNTIL....I've had a few little "annoying" repairs...the most major being replacing the power steering at about 70k miles. I also had a few issues with an air-intake hose that left me (with children) stranded at in-opportune times/places more than once (thank goodness for AAA). But, this month when I hit 95k miles the (as I've now learned) dreaded driver's seat rail issue occurred. It's as if I'm in a rocking chair. I thought it would be a *simple* bolt issue but NO it is a $1200 issue. Apparently, after researching this problem online, this is VERY common with Muranos from '03-'06 at least. The seat still moves up and back but the rear right side is not attached to the floorboard. A safety issue? Not according to Nissan or others so we (the car owners) are left to either weld it back together (hmmmm) or pay tons of money to fix it! ALSO, I learned while they were checking on my seat that I have 2 broken engine mounts (all that suburban driving and carpooling is rough I suppose) and need to replace the catalytic converter? 95,000 is a lot of miles but I'm sure if this were a Honda, I wouldn't have these problems (my husband's Acura has almost 200k miles with minimal mechanical issues!). I'm sad to say that after a few good ones, no more Nissan's for me..."