• 2014 Compact SUV Buyer's Guide

2003 Nissan Murano

Based on 561 Ratings for the 2003 - 2008 models.

Love our Murano!

By on Monday, September 30, 2013

Pros: "Great space, great drive, great power, efficient."

Cons: "Seat broke, CD player broke, uses some oil."

"We've owned our Murano for years, and it's been mostly trouble-free for most of it's life despite having just passed 150k miles. We've had some work done, yes, but no more than other cars we've owned in the past. The comfort level of the Murano is second to none. Our rear seat passengers always compliment on how much rear legroom there is, and we stay comfortable even on very long trips. The ride of our SE model is a little harsh on rough pavement, but on the highway it's amazingly smooth and agile. We get through St. Louis winters with our two-wheel-drive model with no problems, and average around 20mpg overall! When recently shopping for a new car, we literally couldn't find anything we liked as much as our Murano. It's a truly fantastic car!"

I've never had to have this many repairs on a car

By on Monday, September 23, 2013

Pros: "looks nice"

Cons: "made with cheap parts and bad design"

"Drivers seat broke (and I'm not over weight) CV Axle, power steering pump, drivers side window, muffler, oil pan leak, and shocks. I have a 2006 and all I can say is that this car is made cheap. I will never get another nissan again. sad"

Multiple major mechanical replacements required

By on Sunday, September 08, 2013

Pros: "Quick, fun to drive"

Cons: "Costs way too much to repair than it's worth"

"I bought my car used from CarMax in 2008 (it's a 2003). Since then I've replaced: Front CV axles: once - need to be replaced again Front shocks: once - need to be replaced again Alternator: twice (so I've owned three) Engine: replaced with a used engine Transmission: replaced with a new transmission - need a new one Brake Rotors: need new ones - first set since I've owned the car Engine Mounts - replaced all FOUR, need to replace a couple again already This car is all about looks and feel, and not about quality mechanics. The transmission is trash and Nissan knows this, but refuses to do anything about it. Their special transmission fluid will cost about $600 to replace every 30k miles, but the owner's manual won't tell you. So if you DON'T replace it, then your transmission goes bad and it's suddenly YOUR fault. Don't let anything go wrong on this, because everything else will follow. I wouldn't recommend anyone getting this car. I might not buy Nissan anymore period because of this thing."

nice car

By on Friday, September 06, 2013

Pros: "Lots of people room and storage room"

Cons: "I wish the front end didn't stick out so far"

"I've had this car for about a year, bought used; traded in a 1994 Nissan truck (that I loved). I don't want a sedan and the Murano sits high like my truck. It does every-thing except drive itself. It's roomy, quiet, gobs of storage when the back seat is down, good on gas mileage, GPS, cd and cassette, excellent radio, etc. What is getting me down now is that it has started to need a few things like right front axle, shocks/struts, pretty soon left front axle, one place said it needed motor mounts and upon 90,000 miles, over $600 of maintenance. I really like this car and as I spent so much money trying to fix my truck, I don't want to do it again and am thinking of trading it in. I would definitely go for another Murano."

GORGEOUS 2004 Black Nissan Murano V6

By on Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Pros: "Great SUV, beautiful interior, sleek exterior!"

Cons: "All highway miles"

"Great SUV, selling for commute reasons. Black with tan leather interior. All wheel drive, power everything. Sun roof, CD changer, roof rack, alloy wheels. Really love this car!"

I love this car

By on Wednesday, August 07, 2013

Pros: "milage, comfort, versitility"

Cons: "hate the ugly grill"

"the Murano has been and continues to be a great vehicle. It works well in the heat and the cold, traveling the freeway, pulling a small trailer and hauling concrete or the dog. I will have a tough time parting with this car when the time comes."

Very comfortable but made from lowest bidder parts

By on Monday, July 15, 2013

Pros: "Very comfortable to drive and"

Cons: "Will not buy another Nissan"

"Bought it used with less than 60,000 miles. Have had to replace; Rear door latch, front wheel bearings, oil leak near oil filter, one cam sensor,front control arms, tie rod ends, and repairs to stop rattles all before 72,000 miles. Before 100,000 miles replaced fuel sensor, fuel pump. At 101,000 miles had replace the coolant outlet. I have never had a car with this many major issues with less than 100,000 miles. The car is carefully driven and gets all the routine maintenance."

Love at first sight

By on Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Pros: "Never had a problem...PRIDE OF OWNERSHIP!"

Cons: "Can't think of any...."

"This was my dream car. And my dream came true. I love this car.... It's classy looking, gorgeous body lines. I have the Pearl Mist and it just shines, even when he needs a shower. I have to tell you, and if this review is being read in San Diego...East County, particularly you may have seen us...I kiss the driver's side door, with lipstick on, when I get in and out of my car. Even had a girl ask me if she could post a pic of us on facebook! I get so many hilarious reactions. One lady saw my door and said she hoped she wasn't the drunk chick who kissed my car.....Hahhhhhhh!! I know, I'm kinda out there, but I know you will love this car if this is what you have in mind."

Not the greatest...

By on Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Pros: "Lots of room, comfy and fun when new"

Cons: "Poor quality, not built to last."

"My wife and I are both in our 40s, no kids and a fairly simple life. The Murano over-all has been ok but I expected better quality out of Nissan. The interior has always been well kept and clean but it is literally falling apart. The motor has always lost oil and no one can figure out where it's going, including the dealer. It's a pain to pull the dipstick at least once a week FOR YEARS! As mentioned above, we don't have kids to abuse anything in the car and I have a four wheel drive SUV when we go to any of those out-of-the-way places. It's basically her everyday driver and take on roadtrips vehicle. We are very disappointed in the overall quality and durability (even though it was babied) of the Murano. I've been a long time fan of Nissan but after having this in the family since new and now can't wait to get rid of it. I am done with them until I see something besides what we have come out of their factories. Sorry Nisaan. You let us down..."

Nissan has declined in reliability

By on Monday, May 13, 2013

Reason: mechanical problems

Pros: "Fast, roomy cargo area"

Cons: "unreliable, needed lots of repairs"

"I have owned this Murano since it was just a year old with 17k miles. I have owned other Datsuns/Nissans and 2 Infinitis. The Murano was the worst. Some common problems include. Gas guage non-function which causes the engine light to go on $600. Front seat broken, visor won't stay up, Power window motor broke $584, power steering hose burst, control arm broke, suspension shot, oil leaks, replaced axles. Need I go on..I traded it before the engine or transmission went out which I fear is next. 6 years an 103k miles is not an acceptable lifespan for a $39k SUV! Will not buy another Nissan!!"

Worst vehicle ever

By on Sunday, April 14, 2013

Pros: "nice car is you sell before 120,000 mile warranty"

Cons: "falls apart after 120,000 mile warranty"

"buyer BEWARE. The Murano is complete junk. The transmission is infamous for failing soon after the warranty expires and the transfer case is known to fail. These repairs are more expensive than the car is worth. At 147,000 miles the transfer case cracked and the car needs a manifold and the valve covers are leaking oil.The estimate for that is $5,600.00. I had to fix the oil pan that was leaking oil and front brakes last month which was $1025.00. Look at all the complaints to Nissan to recall this car, it is dangerous too. The car stalls out on the highway! I was offered $3,500.00 for trade in value before this occurred and I am now so sorry that I didn't take it. It is a conundrum. I will NEVER buy a Nissan again. My son-in-law warned me of the complaints and I could not believe that a Japanese car would not last at least to 200,000 miles or that my friend would sell me this junk. but now I know and have to deal with the loss."

Love my Muano

By on Tuesday, April 09, 2013

"This vehicle is a very comfortable ride and plenty of room for passengers. With the flip down seats, I have carried lots of items. It is great for moving!!! I have gotten spoiled with the heated leather, sunroof, and auto start, that I am having trouble parting with this vehicle. The BOSE sound is awesome."

The best car I ever owned.

By on Thursday, April 04, 2013

Pros: "love the comfort and quality of the vehicle"

Cons: "should have gotten the moon roof and rear ac."

Murano Merlot the greatest car ever

"This car does everything I want it to do. I have only had trouble with break noise when backing,the breaks are otherwise fine. Extreme comfort in long distances. Gas mileage not the greatest, 25 highway and about 14.3 around town but I knew that when I purchased the vehicle. After 6.5 years I am very glad I got this vehicle. No problems on the road or when it's gotten it's check ups. Always get complements and questions about car when I go different places. Worth every cent. The color, Merlot, is the best color for this car. The first car I ever purchased for myself and I am glad I did. I am unhappy that Nissan decided to change the grill and the rear lights on the newer versions, as the lines of this car are perfect."

Murano Merlot the greatest car ever

Sell before 75K

By on Tuesday, April 02, 2013

Pros: "nice looking car. Does well in snow"

Cons: "constant expensive repairs. dont buy"

"We purchased an 07 used June of 10 at 49000 miles. Great until 71K in 2011. Front axle assemblies $350, Engine mounts $700. Now at 100k both front control arms $600 and front axle assembly again for $400. There is constantly a noise somewhere on this vehicle. I removed the driver visor and squeezed the pivot point with pliers to prevent it from falling down while driving and the road noise is very loud with bad gas mileage. We rarely get rid of a car with less than 150-200k but we are going to start looking."

Great value

By on Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Pros: "Reliability, style"

"As a Realtor, I need a reliable car and this has been a good one. My husband had to talk me into buying it. I bought it new and other than oil changes, I have not spent any money with 62,000 miles."

It's the best vehicle I've owned.

By on Thursday, January 10, 2013

"I've never kept a vehicle longer than 2 years; usually we trade in for new every 2 years. I love this vehicle so much that I've not been able to part with it for now 6 years. The mileage is getting high so we're thinking we may need to get a new vehicle. If I can't find anything other than 'another' Murano, we might just purchase another 'new' Murano! It just has so much for the $$ and you get used to it all that you don't want to part with anything once you've had the 'good stuff'."

Looking for a new car

By on Tuesday, November 06, 2012

Pros: "great interior, luxury feel"

Cons: "pricey to maintain and CONSTANT $$ maintenance"

"I bought this car used just shy of three years ago with 65,000 miles and the best thing I ever did was buy a 3 yr/36,000 warranty. I'm almost out of the warranty and am hurrying to pay the car off & trade it, here's why: I don't mind a luxury/expensive car, I want all the bells & whistles I just don't want to replace something EVERY month. The Nissan dealership knows me by name and is constantly fixing something: 2 front control arms one on each side, front tie rod, a spring in the steering column that cost $450 alone (before labor), my entire steering wheel/rod had to be tightened as it had too much 'play'($2,000)and exhaust system just rusted out $600. Then there's brakes which I've been through almost three times, etc. At my last oil change 2 weeks ago at the dealership I'm now told that the shocks, oil pan and oil coil all need to be replaced. Oil pan is $326, coil is $150 before labor. I'm not a car racer, I use it for light commuting and occasional road trip but it's become a nightmare everytime I go to the dealership. It's like owning a luxury car... but it's a Nissan not a BMW?!?"

07 Murano

By on Tuesday, September 04, 2012

Pros: "nice feel on the road, lots of road vision"

Cons: "tranny is a little slow to get it up to speed."

"I bought this used a couple of years ago and ended up putting in a few dollars worth of maintenance items (fluids, brakes). In the time I've had it I also ended up replacing the lower control arms. Once the work was done it's ended up being a nice vehicle. Kind of the right size for me, not too big so it's a pain to park and big enough to ride nice on the highway. Not sure I'd get another car with a CVT but I would for a new Murano."

This is the best vehicle ever

By on Monday, June 25, 2012

"for driving, comfort and style"

Love this car

By on Thursday, May 03, 2012

Pros: "Decent mileage, very comfortable on long drives"

Cons: "cup holders, oil dip stick hard to read"

"Have just over 154000 miles and still has best ride of any SUV's I've owned. Only problem with this car has been when I've traveled to higer altitudes. Check Engine light comes on and has to be reset or if you don't mind waiting a week, it will reset itself. Did have to replace catalytic converter at 89000, but no other repairs, just regular oil changes. Was just damaged in a hail storm. Hoping it will be repaired, but if totaled, will run out and buy another Murano:)"

Best car I have owned in years

By on Sunday, April 01, 2012

Pros: "comfortable driving locally and on long trips"

Cons: "I would have chosen a different color."

"I have owned large SUV, small compact cars, mid size luxury cars but I love the Murano the most.The only other car that I would want more than this one is the Lexis R330. It has everything I could ask for in a SUV. comfort and dependability. It's stylish and drives smoothly."

Love the car, wish MPG was a lot better

By on Thursday, March 29, 2012

"This is my favorite car I've ever owned. Best driving car and I love the design and features. The premium gas"

great car

By on Thursday, March 29, 2012

Pros: "comfortable ride fun to drive good on gas"

"I would buy this car again"

love this suv!

By on Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Pros: "great in snow, reliable, comfort, family vehicle."

Cons: "engine is loud at first on older models"

"I really love this car, just overpaid for it I think."

great vehicle

By on Tuesday, March 27, 2012

"Great on gas, sytlish, fast and reliable"