2008 Nissan Maxima

8.1

Based on 579 Ratings for the 2004 - 2008 models.

Great Car!

By on Wednesday, September 17, 2014

Pros: "Great car, fun to drive"

"I have owned this car for 9 years and have found it to be a very stylish, dependable sport sedan. All things considered, especially when compared to a 3 Series BMW or E350 M-B, you can't go wrong. This car is half the price of a comparably equipped German car and maintenance costs are less as well. I would definitely consider buying this model again if I was in the market and had not made a commitment to myself to buy American."

very pleased with my MAX.

By on Sunday, September 07, 2014

"very pleased with my MAX."

Handles well in or out of town

By on Thursday, August 21, 2014

Pros: "see above reviews"

Cons: "see above reviews"

"more mileage than 23 expected. poor turning radius. Bose speaker on left comes & goes. CD player fuzzy frequently. I would buy another Maxima 6 cyl if turning radius better."

It has lasted through time

By on Thursday, August 14, 2014

Pros: "The power is awesome. Comfortable for long drives"

Cons: "Expensive parts, leaking moon roof, paint oxidized"

"I bought this car over a Toyota because of the telescopic steering wheel. I am very tall and the wheel moved out of my way for more convenience. I also liked its sportiness and its speed and handling. I have maintained this car very well through the Nissan dealership. However, my cons with this vehicle are that the car has millions of cheap plastic parts that break off and are expensive to replace. The moon roof has been replaced twice for manufacture defects and it still rusted out and leaks. The seat assembly on the drivers side has broken twice and at a cost of $1000 to fix it each time, it is staying broken. It is a very expensive car to keep up."

MY BEST VEHICLE EVER! RELIABLE,BEST RIDE & SPORTY

By on Saturday, August 09, 2014

"TIME TO GIVE UP BUT I AM ATTACHED...SO MUCH ROOM AND SUCH A GREAT RIDE."

Longer term than expected

By on Wednesday, August 06, 2014

Pros: "Love the heated steering wheel!"

Cons: "Wish the trunk opened all the way when fobbed"

"I purchased this Maxima new in 2006, never used factory warranty (and would never needed to up to 8 years later)! I purchased brakes at 90k, battery and just purchased 2nd set replacement tires. This car has been rock solid, I am beginning to tire of it only because I miss the technology they have added to cars in the last 8 years. A four door sports car? Not really, but not a boring sedan either. It continues to impress me & surprise others with it's quick acceleration. Interior quality has held up better than expected.. I used regular unleaded (fill door says "premium fuel is recommended for maximum performance") For the dozen or so times I filled with premium I noticed a slight increase in performance and little fuel mileage improvement, but not enough difference on either to spend the extra cost of premium. Fuel mileage was never something to brag about, averaged about 26 mpg with 60% hwy 40% city use (of course what can you expect from a 6)?"

DO NOT BUY WEIRD TRANSMISSION SLIP

By on Friday, July 25, 2014

Pros: "Spacious, looks good,"

Cons: "transmission, turn radius, pick up"

my car:(

"I bought this car from auction using my friends account. My decision to grab this car went horribly wrong. The car when we test drove was very good strong and had just 87,000 miles on it for 04' SL model. But things started to fall apart the transmission started reacting weird it would get stuck on some gears and skip some gears. When I started researching this car it had One of kind TRANSMISSION flaw where it would start doing weird shifts jerks jumps stuck once the engine is completely warm ...so when its cold it would shift smooth thats where we were not able to catch this issue and new transmission is very expensive to fix around 3000$ as the junk yard people know that this vehicle has this issue they priced it HIGH all over uSA..SO my Suggestion DO NOT BUY 04-06 Nissan. Good luck!"

my car:(

Very poor mechanical design

By on Saturday, June 21, 2014

Pros: "Stable drive, good acceleration"

Cons: "Weak suspension, poor quality compared to Toyota"

"In just 85K miles I have replaced the front struts (leaking again), rear bearings and the underside has begun to rust through. The suspension is too weak for the weight of the car. Not user friendly for doing minor maintenance, like replacing headlight bulbs (got to remove front wheels and wheel arches to gain access). Overall poor quality compared to Toyota (should have purchased a Camry)."

Transmission Trouble - Don't buy this year!

By on Friday, June 13, 2014

Pros: "Looks nice, good gas mileage for size of car"

Cons: "Transmission is a piece of junk"

"Overall I was very pleased with this car until the transmission went out at around 100 thousand miles. This is now a known problem with this year, make & model. Class action suit ongoing against Nissan regarding this. The turn radius isn't great, tires are expensive to replace due to being low profile. Now it just looks pretty in my driveway since I can't drive it without replacing the transmission first."

Way to go Nissan, keep it up

By on Tuesday, June 10, 2014

Pros: "reliability, exc gas mileage"

Cons: "36K 36 Mo warranty, parts can be pricey"

"bought in 2008, absolutely a pleasure to own & operate, NO problems, oil changes only. Much more refined than the 1995 Maxima it replaced, which was also excellent thru the 77K we owned it. Not as pretty as the latest model, but it'll do a couple more years as long as the reliability holds out. Recommend Maxima highly."

No major mechanical problems.

By on Friday, May 30, 2014

Pros: "Excellent mechanicals, engine great"

Cons: "Too much plastic that, with age, break"

"In the 10 years that I have had this car, there have been no major mechanical problems. There have been a series of small nagging problem, most cosmetic and due to Nissan's tendency to use plastic where metal should be used."

My Black on Black Nissan Max

By on Tuesday, May 20, 2014

Pros: "fun to drive, navigation, power, mpg, Bose sound"

Cons: "N/A"

"After owning this car for almost six months (bought it December 2013), it has been the best vehicle I've ever owned. I did not care about the miles it had when I originally bought it (132,000 miles) because it was a one-owner vehicle by a woman who took tremendous care of it. The CarFax was excellent. One of the main reasons is because it's my first non-American car purchase. My previous ones were a 1992 Buick Park Avenue, 2000 Chevrolet Malibu LS, & 2001 Buick Regal LS (just blessed two youth girls with that one). Obviously, this is a tremendous upgrade. As mentioned, it is black on black interior & exterior with almost every feature you can think of (navigation system, 6-disc changer, aux input, park assist, heated steering wheel and leather seats, sport shift mode). The car has all the power I need giving me 255 of them thangs (horsepower). Gas mileage is decent at around 18 mpg city & clocking in 29 mpg highway max. I get excited driving this vehicle as there aren't many of them at that year on the road. The seats are comfortable. I have plenty of trunk space to load almost everything. The manual mode is a lot of fun. The suspension and handling is tight. Finally, this is the most reliable vehicle I've owned. I do have to fix my speedometer which stopped working recently, but that's not bad as it continues to run & run. Nissan did a tremendous job on this car. I will drive it till I can't no more."

its good

By on Thursday, May 15, 2014

Pros: "alot of power for 265 hp"

Cons: "MRSP $35,000 in 2003 Nissan Flagship Model"

"Firestone replaced all 4 tires warranty at 32000. Nissan replaced sky view glass and they never prepared new installation properly. Now roof rusting in corner's. Took car to Nissan 5/14/14 got run around from body shop personnel. Havve to talk to Manager but he is not here. Right!!Fuel pump went out 2012 $600.00 repair.Battery in 2010. no other problems really good car, but updated navigation costs $175.00 no way."

Sad to say goodbye

By on Wednesday, April 23, 2014

Reason: Need to get a commuter car

Pros: "Great and fun to drive"

Cons: "Fancy so never wanted to let my kids in it."

"I was the original owner, and will forever be a fan of Nissian!"

For never owning a nissan, this car is great.

By on Tuesday, April 15, 2014

"Im really inpressed with this car. Would not be afraid to take it anywhere. It has more power then what I need. I would buy another maxima."

Sporty car

By on Saturday, April 05, 2014

Pros: "Fast, sporty, comfortable, reliable, controls"

Cons: "gas mileage, turning radius"

"had it since late 2007 its a '08 model with SE package but love the car on everything. I have it maintained at Nissan dealership all oil changes/scheduled maintenance on time. Drives effortless and gas mileage isn't great but not bad. 255hp engine is great in giving Max lots of smooth performance and its sporty on a bigger interior. I got Bluetooth, 6 Disc changer Bose sound, rear sonar system, sunroof, 17'' alloy factory wheels, halogen headlights, spoiler and heated seats. LUV the car its fun driving but wish wasn't discontinued without a 6 speed manual from 2007-08 models. I like how Nissan gave it more refreshed lines and made ground effects look better after the 2004-06 Maxima's had that bland styling but my car got sportier aerodynamics which are best."

NICE RIDE THRU 64K,FIT OF INTERIOR MOLDING VERY BA

By on Sunday, March 30, 2014

"Had this car since new.Just asked for a trade-in and what they would give me for my 64k milage car.Was told right away ,you have a hole under the car on the passenger side floor board? I was told that is a common problem with ALL MAXIMA AND ALTIMA,S. I could not believe this.I just had the trans fluid changed at a Nissan dealer,service rep,said that's right COMMON FOR MAXIMA AND ALTIMA,S TO RUST THRU UNDER PASSENGER AND OR DRIVERS FLOOR BOARD,THEY EVEN HAVE A REPAIR=550.00 FOR EACH SIDE.I asked about a recall answer was no. I told this to a person at my work who has a 2008 max,checked it out,boyh sides have holes.Iam done with any NISSAN PRODUCTS,WILL FIX MINE AND SELL IT. SO BEWARE OF ANY FLOOR PANELS ON THESE CARS"

My '04 maxima has been a great car

By on Monday, March 17, 2014

Pros: "Good value"

Cons: "nothing that immmediately comes to mind"

"Good performance, excellent highway fuel economy while still having a good engine. Reasonably good low cost maintanenece, and after 10 years still has the look of a "muscle car." Very pleased with my second Maxima."

Lousy electronics

By on Sunday, March 09, 2014

Pros: "fun to drive"

Cons: "fuel economy"

"Fuel gauge stopped working at 57,000 miles and dealership, its under a 'add-on' warranty, is trying to find one. Thats been 3 weeks now. The electronics on the dash, i.e.., radio, A/C all work fine but… the MTE (miles to empty) feature, stopped working also, nice feature when its working, but it adds and subtracts miles as I go down the road Mileage is a flat 22 miles to gallon - hwy/city"

All Windows Tinted w/Sun Block Top of Window Shiel

By on Sunday, March 09, 2014

"Not necessary"

Normal Japenese Car

By on Sunday, March 02, 2014

Cons: "little to no storage one 12v plug usable"

"Only got it because I had a gas guzzler before. So far problem after problem dollar after dollar spent. But gets me from a to b"

Solid car

By on Saturday, March 01, 2014

Pros: "plenty of power, good gas mileage, reliability"

Cons: "turning radius, unsupportive seats, OE tires r bad"

Family reunion in the Maxima

"I bought this vehicle new almost 8 years ago. I have not had any mechanical issues with this car. However at about 65000 miles a metallic noise started from underneath the vehicle mostly noticeable when trying to hold a speed between 40-50 mph. I've been told it's either the heat shield or the guts of the catalytic converter coming loose (which I was told is fairly common on these). I was told it's nothing to worry about but it is annoying never the less. Also, this vehicle is tricky when it comes to getting the right tire. The Goodyears that came with the car were total garbage. They only lasted 29000 miles (and that's with regular rotation) and they turned into rocks and made the ride rough and unpleasant. They also caused a shake in the steering wheel. I then tried Toyo Versados which were better but there was still a shake in the steering wheel. I had both sets of these tires balanced numerous times with no success in getting rid of the shaking steering wheel. Finally when the Toyos wore out at 65000 miles I purchased Michelin Primacy tires. This was the best purchase I could have made. Since I put these on, the car has no shake in the steering wheel and rides much nicer. If you own this car or are going to buy one I would definitely reccommend getting Michelin Primacy tires. They're not the cheapest option but you'll be glad you did once you feel the difference. This car has more than enough power. The handling is decent, but I would like it a little stiffer with less sway since it's classified as a 4 door sports car. Also, the turning radius on this car is ridiculous. Don't even try doing a uturn unless it's a very wide road. I don't know why they didn't make the radius tighter. The seats could definitely use more support on the sides. Sometimes around turns you can feel like your sliding around. The BOSE stereo system is well worth the money. Great sound. The HID headlights are also worth the money. Despite being a bigger, more powerful V6, the car gets decent gas mileage. On long straight highway trips I usually get 27 or 28 mpg. In town maybe 20 or 21 mpg. The bad part is premium fuel is recommended for best performance. I've used premium since the car was new so I couldn't tell you if using regular would have negative affects. Overall, I'm pretty satisfied with this car so far. Up to this point reliability has not been an issue at all. The car still has plenty of pep and other than routine maintenance I haven't put any money into it. While it's not perfect, I don't know any car that is. I would definitely recommend this car to family and friends."

Family reunion in the Maxima

227000 and still going strong

By on Wednesday, February 26, 2014

Pros: "fun to drive and practical"

Cons: "wish it had polished metal rims not painted"

"this car has been nothing but reliable i have drove it extremely hard for the last 7 years and it does not mind one bit it is also sporty and practical i am glad i chose this car ive only had to do minor repairs (battery brakes starter) all the usual wear stuff it rides like a dream and can still take off like a camaro"

I'm gonna miss this car

By on Tuesday, February 25, 2014

Pros: "Impressive car, loaded with features. Great ride."

Cons: "None."

"I went to buy a new Z but fell in love with a black Maxima SE. Its the special edition with the center console in the back, full Bose sound system, 4 heated bucket seats, etc. Fast car with great handling. I'm moving to the country so I'm trading this in for a new pickup. Aside from some Transmission work, nothing but regular maintenance costs."

ok car

By on Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Pros: "fun to drive very fast for a v6 160 top speed"

Cons: "small parts break easily"

"my 08 maxima has a lot of mileage but it has not really had a major part break down it is making weird engine noise but every time i take it to Nissan they say it is fine i like the car very smooth to drive and comfortable"